Federal court strikes down Illinois b...

Federal court strikes down Illinois ban on carrying concealed weapons

Posted in the Litchfield Forum

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#1 Dec 11, 2012
In a victory for gun rights advocates, a federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down Illinois' ban on carrying concealed weapons -- the only total concealed-carry ban in the country.

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals gave state lawmakers six months to come up with their own version of the law that legalizes concealed carry.

"We're extremely pleased with the ruling," Illinois State Rifle Association leader Richard Pearson said. "Now that the court has ruled ... we will work as soon as possible with legislators to craft a concealed-carry bill for the state of Illinois."

The 2-1 decision marks a huge win for gun rights advocates who have argued that the ban on concealed weapons violates the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment and what they see as citizens' right to carry guns for self-defense.

A new law could be in place by January, Pearson said. A bill has already been written by Rep. Brandon Phelps that includes background checks, field provisions and other issues.
CHICKEN LITTLE

Taylorville, IL

#2 Dec 11, 2012
Tim Hancock wrote:
In a victory for gun rights advocates, a federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down Illinois' ban on carrying concealed weapons -- the only total concealed-carry ban in the country.
The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals gave state lawmakers six months to come up with their own version of the law that legalizes concealed carry.
"We're extremely pleased with the ruling," Illinois State Rifle Association leader Richard Pearson said. "Now that the court has ruled ... we will work as soon as possible with legislators to craft a concealed-carry bill for the state of Illinois."
The 2-1 decision marks a huge win for gun rights advocates who have argued that the ban on concealed weapons violates the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment and what they see as citizens' right to carry guns for self-defense.
A new law could be in place by January, Pearson said. A bill has already been written by Rep. Brandon Phelps that includes background checks, field provisions and other issues.
Finally a win for "we the people"!
3rd Warder

Mattoon, IL

#3 Dec 12, 2012
Courts also struck down making it "felony wiretapping" for recording the police. Public officials in public performing their public duties have no privacy rights.

Keep in mind, someone put up a bill in Springfield to exempt police recording from the original law and Rosenthal voted against it.
The King

Mattoon, IL

#4 Dec 12, 2012
I'm on the fence on this one. I have no problem with mentally stable, mature, intelligent, sober people carrying a firearm. But, I don't have a lot of confidence in the process keeping the growing number of mental defects, meth heads, and drunks from getting licensed, or just carrying to "keep up with the Jones". The last thing I want to see is some kid get shot in the cross fire from a couple huckleberries feuding over a WalMart parking space.
I've been around the world, to include living in Brooklyn NYC for a while. I've never needed a gun, nor do I have a desire to carry one, and I am a gun owner.
All things considered, in this slow motion, rural area, I think the potential tragedy that could arise from allowing concealed carry greatly exceeds any potential good.
fatboizs

Mattoon, IL

#5 Dec 12, 2012
Ive handled guns atleast twice a day for over 30 years,once in the morning ,once at night, Ive yet to have had to take it out of my pocket between times,but, who knows.
Vet

Mattoon, IL

#6 Dec 13, 2012
Chicongo DemocRATes will appeal this----They only want themselfs to have body guards and a right to carry guns(even on planes).Anybody from Chicongo,vote them out of office
Ed McBain

AOL

#7 Dec 13, 2012
When you work in a dangerous area for 30 years,it is reassuring to have that gun in your pocket just in case. I wouldn't carry a gun in Litchfield but St. Louis is a different story.
Criminals seem to have a way of getting illegal guns [they steal them] so I want the option of having a legal concealed weapon or not having one.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#8 Dec 13, 2012
I'm glad for ya all and for Illinois. It sounds like someone (Chicago) was trying to make the area another one like Bloomberg's New York. And Vet, guess ya just gotta think positive concerning the tentative appeal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Litchfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robert 'bob' tucker Jun 24 Tracker 3
8.25% tax increase for taxfield May '16 Mighty Avenger 2
Democrat's want men in girls restroom May '16 The Stealth 2
Manar to give Chicago Public Schools a addition... May '16 Monkey 1
Fix the roads not the sidewalks,Clowns May '16 The Who 1
Typical Litchfield Bull $hit (Jun '13) Apr '16 jan53 6
1980s child homicide Apr '16 Pilgrim 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Litchfield Mortgages