Coyotes attack dog in Carol Stream

Coyotes attack dog in Carol Stream

There are 30 comments on the Daily Herald story from Dec 28, 2007, titled Coyotes attack dog in Carol Stream. In it, Daily Herald reports that:

“At first I thought they were other dogs”

It wasn't uncommon for Loree Turano to see coyotes walking through her neighborhood. via Daily Herald

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bustos

United States

#22 May 25, 2009
Que?
christina

AOL

#23 Jun 1, 2009
i say find that coyotes dend and set the whole thing on fire!! sorry for the loss of your dog.
Rick Gellert wrote:
My beloved 3 year old 4 pound tinker bell was killed and taken by a coyote Sunday nite the 6th. She was out at 9:30 PM for a potty break. She was attracted to remains of a fresh rabbit kill behind a snow bank. We are located in lake county by russell RD and I-94. Tinker barked 4 times then stopped. 10 minutes later I went outside to call her in. She did not respond. Then I saw the coyote about 400 feet away walking thru a deep puddle.
Tinkers remains have not been recovered and I have not decided what to do when I find the coyotes' den.

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#24 Jun 4, 2009
christina wrote:
i say find that coyotes dend and set the whole thing on fire!! sorry for the loss of your dog.<quoted text>
You'd want to kill a coyote just because he was doing what nature intended for him to do? That's just twisted.
doug

United States

#25 Nov 12, 2009
saw coyote twice big and brown.its not afraid.be alert
Steve

Berkeley, CA

#26 Nov 12, 2009
My uncle hates coyotes. He hunts with his dogs - he is an expert dog trainer too.

He says that coyotes will befriend a dog - to lure it away . Usually a single coyote will pretend to play with the dog and then lure the dog out. When the dog is sufficiently lead away the pack of coyotes will attack and kill the dog. Even large and/or powerfull dogs have been killed this way. Dogs that can easily kill a single coyote are jumped by multiple coyotes.

I love all animals. But like most, dogs are at the top oft list. Hans and dogs have relationship that goes back thousands and thousands of years. Love your dog because you think he or she is cute and sweet and a loyal member of your family? It is ingrained in your DNA.

The only good coyote is a dead coyote...
Steve

Berkeley, CA

#27 Nov 12, 2009
By the way. I'm in California. In California and Oregon, coyotes are not solitary animals. They hunt in packs like wolves.

I've seen as many as 10 coyotes together. I've also seen mountain lions, bobcats and have been face to face with a 450 lb black bear. He woke me up one morning - a camping (gold mining) trip in the sierra foothills in California - He walked up on my sleeping bag just as the sun was coming up... I could hear his snorting and sniffing behind my head (covered by the sleeping bag). I figures there was a 50/50 chance the snorting and sniffing was either my brother playing games or it was a black bear.

I decided that it was my brother and so threw the bag up and off of my head and when I looked there was a black bear stairing me in the face - within less than 2 feet. His eyes bugged out of his huge head and when I blinked, he was already about 100 yards away moving like a dear at about 30 miles an hour... He could just as easily bitten my head clean off my shoulders....I never had time to be afraid. it looked silly watching this furry refridgerator sized mass of fur moving away so fast - you would never beleive that such a large animal can run so fast unless you see it with your own eyes. I could have been killed instantly - and to think I hadn't even gotten out of bed yet!

I don't recommend startling a bear... After realizing how lucky I was, I went back to sleep for another hour.

I've also seen an even larger and very rare blonde black bear. I understAnd that this animal is extremely rare - some have searched for years for these bears and have never seen them - one guy has been looking for decades. I can tell you that they do exist because I have seen one.
Steve

Berkeley, CA

#28 Nov 12, 2009
I have seen things out west that many of you have only read about or watched in movies. There are still many wild places left in the western half of the country. And of course you have to willing to make the effort to get to and spend time in these places to see some amazing things - things you only read about or things that were only common place a very long time ago.

I have pulled chunks of gold from placer mines and nuggets of the yellow stuff from gold veins at the bottom of crystal clear rivers and steams. I have literally soared with eagles.

I have seen things you people would not believe. The world man has created is not the way we were supposed to live. It is an artificial existence - it is perpetually filled with noise.

Everyone should experience time in the wilderness.
Mike

Streamwood, IL

#29 Nov 19, 2009
Saw a pair of Coyotes near Papoose park on 11/19/09 at 11:30 pm. They were in the clearing to the east and trotted off once they saw my dog, who is about 70 pounds. The coyotes headed off down the walk and to the east towards Western Trails School.
Dog Lover

Blackstone, IL

#31 Jan 26, 2010
We live right off route 59 in Naperville, IL. and we see coyotes at least twice a week. We have a small dog and are very concerned about her safety. My dog is never left unattended outside. You must always leash your dog and stay near a light so you can see everything around you. Please take care of your pets!!

Since: Jul 10

Carol Stream, IL

#32 Jul 25, 2010
Wiley Coyote wrote:
You all have it backwards - its' not the critters that are invading, we are impinging on them. they are here because it's where the food is. keep wrecking where these animals live and pretty soon you'll be neighbors with more than harmless coyotes.. when there was a bounty paid on coyote pelts the outcry was unreal; the population went up, their prey is harder to get so they scavage what they can, including your unattened dogs. trust me its not personal
I agree! We keep developing every piece of land we can get our hands on here so where are the animals to go to find a place to live? It's not their fault that they are displaced after all!

Wish people would think more about wildlife and WHY this happens! We didn't have coyotes here in '94 when we moved in, but the town has developed alot more and now we are seeing them.

They are trying to survive too.

So if dog owners (and cat too) know this, then WATCH your dog when it goes out at night to do it's business. And, cats should be kept indoors anyway! they don't need to be killed by coyotes either!
We have to protect our pets from all dangers after all!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lisle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fundraiser for Moravecek 8 min Perfect specimen 2
Great News ! 41 min Labby 74
Light A Candle for Cop Wives 2 hr Enter Username 38
God bless all LE and the Hero’s on Law Enforce... 11 hr Enter Username 52
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Sun SligieForMayor 178
News Downers Grove man charged with fourth DUI (Oct '07) Nov '17 WILDBILL 22
News Downers library official faces removal after re... Sep '17 BHS alum 2

Lisle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lisle Mortgages