Coon Rapids Could Get Name Change

Coon Rapids Could Get Name Change

There are 75 comments on the Wcco.com story from Jan 25, 2006, titled Coon Rapids Could Get Name Change. In it, Wcco.com reports that:

A Coon Rapids, Minn. councilman is pushing to change the name of the city. Councilman Joe Soditi said he is proposing to change the name of Coon Rapids to a name like Riverview.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wcco.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Kate

UK

#1 Jan 27, 2006
I think this is a perposterous idea! I think that Riverview is horrible alternative, it is the name a waterpark! Most people within MN know that Coon Rapids is a big suburb open and tolerant of new ideas. I do not think that "political correctness" needs to be extended to a city name. All the city signs and addresses of the 61K people would need to be changed as well. It would be very time consuming, ineffective and confusing a process to undertake. I do not think that it would be economically sound, when weighing the pro's against the con's. Just keep it the way it is! And isn't there something more beneficial for the city to undertake than changing the name of it? I think the councilmembers should be tackling tangible problems and spend that time wisely!!!
Becca

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jan 28, 2006
Will Ham Lake be the next city that will need a name change because it gives the impression that all of the residents are pigs?

This idea makes me think that Mr. Soditi doesn't have have a vision for the future of Coon Rapids.

It's a shame that this much effort by the Mr. Soditi isn't put to better use. I don't think the voters thought that was his agenda when we voted.
Johnny

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jan 30, 2006
Either way, Coon Rapids and Ham Lake are UGLY names. Especially compared to Woodbury, Eden Praire or Apple Valley. Those names just conjure up images of serenity. While Coon and Ham sound like... NASCAR trailer parks. Ha!

I live in Blaine and people always make fun of Coooooon Rapids! We think your name stinks! Even Podunk, Mudville or Dipstick MN would be better. I say change it!
Hhaayyymm Laaaayyyker

Rosemount, MN

#4 Jan 31, 2006
As opposed to the awesome name of "BLAINE". I've often thought about how awesome BLAINE is. Like, a combination of BLAND and PLAIN. I could just picture the classic war movie where Sergeant John Wayne is asking all the kids in his platoon where they're from. There's Joe from Jersey City, and Tyler from Waco Texas.. and BLAINE...from ...BLAINE. Great name. Awesome name. Conjures up visions of... a has been football team that can't get over the fact that their coach took a better job in a real community, and now they can't even make it to State anymore so they can...er...not win....again.

Johnny wrote:
Either way, Coon Rapids and Ham Lake are UGLY names. Especially compared to Woodbury, Eden Praire or Apple Valley. Those names just conjure up images of serenity. While Coon and Ham sound like... NASCAR trailer parks. Ha!

I live in Blaine and people always make fun of Coooooon Rapids! We think your name stinks! Even Podunk, Mudville or Dipstick MN would be better. I say change it!
Johnny

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Feb 3, 2006
Hhaayyymm Laaaayyyker,

I couldnt agree with you more. I would vote for a name change on Blaine as well. I used to call it 'Plain Blaine' before I moved there. I just thought it was funny how upset Kate got over the name. I could care less really.
I'd just tell the Sarge that I was from the Twin Cities! By the way, I dont root for the Blaine High school, were in a different School district.
Vote on it

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Feb 7, 2006
The name of the city of "Coon Rapids" is one of the worst things about living here. Joe Sidoti has some valid points about economics and racism, not to mention intelligent discussion. What's wrong with putting the issue to a vote? If so many residents have been ringing up Mr. Shulte, you'd think he'd want to put the whole matter to rest with a simple vote in November. By the way, my phone has been ringing off the hook too - with calls from residents and nonresidents alike who feel it's time to change the horrible, negatively charged, economically limiting, misrepresentative name of "Coon Rapids".
Kelsey

Andover, MN

#7 Feb 8, 2006
I think that you shouldn't care what we name our city. You don't live here. how does it affect you? Seriously... If people don't want to live here because of the freakin' name, I think our community is better off without them.
Dan from coon rapids

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Mar 14, 2006
Why change the name of coon rapids. Yeah it may be misrepresentative, still someone else named it that. Who knows what they meant it to stand for. It shouldn't matter what the name is for people in or outside the community to care so much. It does not make sense to change the name of a city because someone does not like it. That would be like changing "Friendly Fridley", into "Hellaville", just because that sounds cool.
billy

Anoka, MN

#9 Mar 31, 2006
i dont think we should change our name its been coon rappids for ever
LILLY

Anoka, MN

#10 Apr 1, 2006
Kate wrote:
I think this is a perposterous idea! I think that Riverview is horrible alternative, it is the name a waterpark! Most people within MN know that Coon Rapids is a big suburb open and tolerant of new ideas. I do not think that "political correctness" needs to be extended to a city name. All the city signs and addresses of the 61K people would need to be changed as well. It would be very time consuming, ineffective and confusing a process to undertake. I do not think that it would be economically sound, when weighing the pro's against the con's. Just keep it the way it is! And isn't there something more beneficial for the city to undertake than changing the name of it? I think the councilmembers should be tackling tangible problems and spend that time wisely!!!
i totally agree ahy should the goverment waste their time on wether or not to change the city name. Couldnt they find something that will help our community. Like getting a pool were the teen center is.
Don

United States

#11 Apr 9, 2006
Here we go again. Another Democrat. What the impact would cost the City alone. These politicians get in and what happens to them. I don't live there, but have never thought one way or another about it. Put it on the ballot and you will find the people will not vote for this nonsense. They like their city and name. Get a life.
LILLY

Anoka, MN

#12 Apr 12, 2006
Well i live here and you dont so you should not even say anything. Because ive lived here my whole life and there is no reson why we should get our name changed. Sry.. just because it hurts the blacks..........And DOn why does it matter to you you live in Arizona. So why are you even on the coon rapids news?
ftach

Plymouth, MN

#13 Sep 13, 2006
Racism? What moron thinks the city name Coon Rapids is racist?
Roni Nordeen

AOL

#15 Feb 19, 2007
they still on this kick about changing the name of the city? I lived there not even a year ago, I lived there about 13 years.. almost embarrased to admit it.. pathetically enough. Coon Rapids has just about the highest crime rate of all the Minneapolis suburbs. sad situation. but seems Coon Rapids makes the news as much as Lake street and/or the Northeast neighborhoods. glad I'm out of there. didn't move FAR. lol just a little north of there.. but WHAT a difference a few miles makes.. ANYWAY.... crime, drugs, murders, rapes, stabbings, and all the city is concerned about is changing the name to something else because it is OFFENDING people?? <cough> I could say more. I can't believe the difference in Coon Rapids just in the last 5 years. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! in a nutshell..they have more to worry about than to change the dang name of the city.. not to mention. I heard at one time what this will cost the city.. BLOWS MY MIND. but, lol who the hell am I........ LOL I don't even live there anymore. but figured I'd throw my 2 cents in since I paid my dues there for 13 years that I resided there.

Since: Feb 07

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Feb 23, 2007
billy wrote:
i dont think we should change our name its been coon rappids for ever
I also live in Coon Rapids. For those who are interesred, the name originally was Coon Creek Rapids, changed from Anoka Township with the building of the dam in 1912 which is now known as the Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park. The Village of Coon Rapids (which was built around the dam area)became the City of Coon Rapids in June of 1959. So, as you can see, the name has absolutely NOTHING to do with racism!
Sue

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Mar 30, 2007
I used to live in Coon Rapids. I think the name is fine, it originated for other reasons than people think. Who's idea was it that it is not a good name? Why do people always have to think the worst? Do they not have anything better to do? We have bigger issues in this world than the name of a City. Try working on the issues that really matter. The name originally was not pointing at any one race. It's what people have conjured up in thier own minds. Find something worth while to put your time and effort into. Try to make this a better community by working on the issues that can change peoples lives for the better of all human kind. Don't sweat the small stuff and this issue is definetly small stuff.
todd

United States

#18 Apr 3, 2007
Have we gone that far over the edge that we have to change the name because other people dont like it ? All i can say is if you dont like it then dont live there .
marsha

United States

#19 Apr 25, 2007
i've lived in coon rapids for many years, and moves due to the riverdale traffic. the months before we moves our kids had there cars broken into. the person or persons hit everyone on the block. the names is for the history of the city and i remember growing up learning about the city. i would like to see the city cleaning it up. i go back to my old neighborhood and it is so run down. take care of coon rapids blvd, and all the run down homes.
Dane

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jun 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure that changing the city name is the best way to waste A LOT of time!! Dear Lord, why is EVERYTHING these days racist?! I say leave the name the way it is. To hell with dumbasses that actually think that 'Coon Rapids' is a racist name. I find it a little strange that people can bitch and moan about Coon Rapids, Minnesota, but they don't say a word about places like Whiteville, Tennessee! I HATE politicians!!
CR graduate

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jun 24, 2007
The city "sold there soul" when they took the money and threw up the low income apartments across the the street from the high school and middle school, and now there paying the price with the increase in crime and vagrents in the city. It has nothing to due with the name. Why change the name and cut ties with the good people that used to make Coon Rapids great city I grew up in. This Sodi guy is a joke, he wants to start this up agian because when he makes his "business calls" he gets laughed, this guy needs to be slapped.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lino Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Large pot operation raided in Butte Creek Canyon (Feb '09) Nov 20 Lisa Coleman 28
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Sep '17 Follow FOX news 152
Just curious...what can Hugo do better? (May '16) Sep '17 StayAway 3
News 4 men arrested in burglary at Obama Elementary ... (Aug '10) Jul '17 Well Well 37
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Sep '16 due diligence che... 17
News Sex offender to be released again: Antonio Mata... (Jul '08) Jun '16 Hes not a monster 3
News DNA Evidence Links Inmate To 2000 Rape (Feb '06) Feb '16 TOASTER 6

Lino Lakes Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lino Lakes Mortgages