Lino Lakes approves English-only ordi...

Lino Lakes approves English-only ordinance

There are 512 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 26, 2010, titled Lino Lakes approves English-only ordinance. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Applause, tears and disruptions were all part of a Lino Lakes City Council meeting Monday night as council members adopted English as the city's official language.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 26
Next Last
Patrick S

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jul 26, 2010
I am glad that they did this and I hope the rest of the country does this also. This country spends millions of millions of dollars printing stuff into different languages. If they did this they would save tons of money and wasted paper and if they charged people to translate it into a different language and the paper it is printed on, this will generate tons of money for the government in the long run.
The last time I checked the constitution is in ENGLISH not any other language and I don't see anyone complaining about that being translated into any other language. Guess what they wont and they can't because they can read it and understand it with no problem at all.
There should only maybe two different languages stuff in this country should be written in one is English because the Constitution is written in English, the other one is American Indian because that is the native language to North America.
I will get either hoorays for this or I am a racist because of it, either way this is how I think and this what the Constitution says I can say and do. If you can't understand this learn English and read the paper it was written.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LoveIT

Le Sueur, MN

#2 Jul 27, 2010
About time! I hope more communities follow suit! We waste millions on providing translators for people who are more often than not, ILLEGALLY here! Why do we have to pay for another service for them when they already get millions of dollars from us in services that they shouldn't be getting in the first place! I have no problem with immigrants as long as they are here LEGALLY and learn the language! Go Lino Lakes!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Tired of Tea

Clackamas, OR

#3 Jul 27, 2010
@PatrickS : "Millions and millions of dollars" printing stuff into different languages? I'd like to see some proof of that. The vast majority of government services aren't offered in any language other than English. I'd wager that the private marketplace (which, as any good capitalist knows, is always to be trusted ahead of the big, bad government) spends far more money on advertising in languages other than English. They know it's good business.

Sure, the Constitution is in English -- primarily because the guys who wrote it spoke English. But most of them also spoke French and German and Greek and Latin and, oh, all sorts of stuff. We even had a president who grew up speaking Dutch. They didn't make English an official language on purpose, even though several states then (as now) opt to have official languages. In fact, New Mexico, Louisiana and Hawaii all recognize more than one language.

And "American Indian" isn't a language. The indigenous languages spoken in North America easily numbered in the hundreds and came from a wide variety of language families. Think of it this way: Some neighboring tribes spoke languages that were as different as English is from Japanese. From their perspective, two languages like English and Spanish (which share nearly 3/4 of their vocabularies and have very similar grammars) are practically mutually intelligible. Sadly, translating documents into indigenous languages would be a colossal waste of time and money: Most of them are extinct and the rest have been more or less completely supplanted by English.

Anyhow, I don't think you're a racist (in fact, I myself think that English should be official). But this blowhard nonsense about "learn it 'cause that's what my grandpappy did" or "git out ya varmint" is rather a turn off. The most compelling case for learning English is because it's a powerful tool to better one's economic status and join in the common society of the U.S. English isn't on the defense in this country, pal; it's a frickin' linguistic juggernaut. This language doesn't need Lino Lakes' protection. The overwhelming majority of immigrants adopt English within a few years and, mark my words, Spanish, Chinese and the rest will go the same way as Swedish, German and Italian. That's how it's always been -- all the way back to Rome.

So perhaps a small group of people who can't yet function in English shouldn't have to bear the brunt of this particular burden? Maybe we can see that having, say, fire extinguisher information in a few extra languages is better for public safety? Maybe having bus fare information in Hmong, Somali and Spanish will help the people who use those languages get to work and school -- places where they almost invariably polish their English skills?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Tired of Tea

Clackamas, OR

#4 Jul 27, 2010
LoveIT wrote:
About time! I hope more communities follow suit! We waste millions on providing translators for people who are more often than not, ILLEGALLY here! Why do we have to pay for another service for them when they already get millions of dollars from us in services that they shouldn't be getting in the first place! I have no problem with immigrants as long as they are here LEGALLY and learn the language! Go Lino Lakes!
There's that whole "millions" of taxpayer money. You got some proof of that?

Just one little link?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
linokid

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jul 27, 2010
In 3 months no one will even think of this. When you come to this country you are expected to assimilate. The official language of this country is english, I for one think if you are gonna live here speak the tongue. If I move to Mexico you betcha Im gonna learn spanish. Kudos to lino from lino

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Tired of Tea

Clackamas, OR

#6 Jul 27, 2010
linokid wrote:
In 3 months no one will even think of this. When you come to this country you are expected to assimilate. The official language of this country is english, I for one think if you are gonna live here speak the tongue. If I move to Mexico you betcha Im gonna learn spanish. Kudos to lino from lino
There is no official language in the United States. It's English in practice, but not by law.

So, linokid, if you moved to Mexico, you'd say you'd learn Spanish. Fair enough. Why? Is it really to assimilate or is it because it would be a day-to-day necessity?

If you as an English-speaking American would adopt Spanish because you had to... wouldn't the same logic apply if you were a Spanish-speaking Mexican who moved here?

Of course it would. And of course it does.

Your common-sense attitude notwithstanding, your logic sucks.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sean

Flagstaff, AZ

#7 Jul 27, 2010
Everyone here has good points and bad points. Yes, the country should have one language that everyone speaks so that communication can happen. I agree that we shouldn't be wasting money making duplicate forms in other languages. Now I see these comments about proving how much money is spent. Who gives a crap how much is actually spent. That's not the issue and that's half the problem. Instead of dealing with the problem people want to poke at the weak parts of what someone said. The problem is that people need to pick one language. Immigrants came here and are still coming here KNOWING the primary language is ENGLISH. So learn it before you get here. I think it should be a requirement before you get here if you are looking to move here legally. You need to be able to live here without depending on us to make your life easier. As far as the people that think this is embarrassing... I don't think this is embarrassing at all. There is no reason for it to be embarrassing. And I would really like to know how you can be embarrassed by it. Fact of the matter is all of us are right and wrong here. Who cares how much it is really costing and who cares about proving it. It costs a lot of money to make duplicate forms and papers and whatever no matter how you want to look at it. We need one common language here for communication purposes and fact is, the language that was used PRIMARILY is english. It's what is taught in schools and that should be the language everyone speaks. Immigrants should know it before they move here and if they are here illegally they should be sent home immediately. Facts are facts. If you have a problem with them, I don't know what to tell you. I'm just tired of people making excuses for people that we shouldn't be.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
stand up americans

Summerfield, FL

#8 Jul 27, 2010
more cities should follow, I am tired of hearing spanish, If I want to hear it I will go to mexico, You live in this country you should speak the lingo! My hats off to Lino Lakes!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
No spin zone

Forest Lake, MN

#9 Jul 27, 2010
Outstanding I hope this spreads throughout Mn.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Iced Tea

Rochester, MN

#10 Jul 27, 2010
Tired of Tea wrote:
@PatrickS : "Millions and millions of dollars" printing stuff into different languages? I'd like to see some proof of that. The vast majority of government services aren't offered in any language other than English. I'd wager that the private marketplace (which, as any good capitalist knows, is always to be trusted ahead of the big, bad government) spends far more money on advertising in languages other than English. They know it's good business.
Sure, the Constitution is in English -- primarily because the guys who wrote it spoke English. But most of them also spoke French and German and Greek and Latin and, oh, all sorts of stuff. We even had a president who grew up speaking Dutch. They didn't make English an official language on purpose, even though several states then (as now) opt to have official languages. In fact, New Mexico, Louisiana and Hawaii all recognize more than one language.
And "American Indian" isn't a language. The indigenous languages spoken in North America easily numbered in the hundreds and came from a wide variety of language families. Think of it this way: Some neighboring tribes spoke languages that were as different as English is from Japanese. From their perspective, two languages like English and Spanish (which share nearly 3/4 of their vocabularies and have very similar grammars) are practically mutually intelligible. Sadly, translating documents into indigenous languages would be a colossal waste of time and money: Most of them are extinct and the rest have been more or less completely supplanted by English.
Anyhow, I don't think you're a racist (in fact, I myself think that English should be official). But this blowhard nonsense about "learn it 'cause that's what my grandpappy did" or "git out ya varmint" is rather a turn off. The most compelling case for learning English is because it's a powerful tool to better one's economic status and join in the common society of the U.S. English isn't on the defense in this country, pal; it's a frickin' linguistic juggernaut. This language doesn't need Lino Lakes' protection. The overwhelming majority of immigrants adopt English within a few years and, mark my words, Spanish, Chinese and the rest will go the same way as Swedish, German and Italian. That's how it's always been -- all the way back to Rome.
So perhaps a small group of people who can't yet function in English shouldn't have to bear the brunt of this particular burden? Maybe we can see that having, say, fire extinguisher information in a few extra languages is better for public safety? Maybe having bus fare information in Hmong, Somali and Spanish will help the people who use those languages get to work and school -- places where they almost invariably polish their English skills?
Next time you get your drivers license renewed check and see how many languages the paperwork is printed in. Also go to the county offices where you live and see the paperwork in at least 9 different languages. Then go to a federal office and see how many languages the paperwork is printed in. You want proof there's your proof.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Lewis Sinclair

Burnsville, MN

#11 Jul 27, 2010
I can't wait to see their definition of "English". It should be more fun than any of us deserve.
citiesgirl

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jul 27, 2010
Finally. We live in America. English is the standard. Learn it. Love it. Get off public assistance.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
MARK

Vining, MN

#13 Jul 27, 2010
LEAD ON
Bob Williams

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jul 27, 2010
Congrats Lino Lakes. I didn't realize that there common-sense people still here in Minnesota. You wouldn't know it by looking at the idiots that have been elected into office as Senators from Minnesota.
tired

Hartford, KS

#15 Jul 27, 2010
Here are two....

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/0...
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/0...
Tired of Tea wrote:
<quoted text>
There's that whole "millions" of taxpayer money. You got some proof of that?
Just one little link?
Proud American

Stillwater, MN

#16 Jul 27, 2010
Lino Lakes, you make me proud! I applaud your decision. I'm sure many cities will follow your lead. I will go out of my way and seek out Lino Lakes to support any way I can. Minneapolis is a cess pool with all the muslims demanding their rights and that their language be printed everywhere........on the light rail, in the airport, on street signs, etc. This is America. Learn to speak our language or go back where you came from.
Kneejerk Bigot

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jul 27, 2010
Quit speakin' that gobbledeegook! Grr! Gnash! FREEDUMB!!!
Fred

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jul 27, 2010
Where is English mandated in the US Constitution? Why is it the government's role to restrict people's freedom to use the language of their choice? Wave that flag more, racists.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Parks

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jul 27, 2010
Tired of Tea,
The great state of California spends over 10 billion a year on illegal Immigrants. In short the rest of us (hard working, tax paying, regular folks who don't want the Government controlling every aspect of our lives). Are tiered of you!!!!!!!!!!
Fred

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jul 27, 2010
Tired of Tea wrote:
Pearls before swine...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lino Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Wed PhoneyChurch 141
New restaurant office Bristol Mar '17 Hairless food plz 3
News 4 men arrested in burglary at Obama Elementary ... (Aug '10) Feb '17 Dreco 36
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Sep '16 due diligence che... 17
News Sex offender to be released again: Antonio Mata... (Jul '08) Jun '16 Hes not a monster 3
News Coon Rapids Could Get Name Change (Jan '06) May '16 Daniel 73
News DNA Evidence Links Inmate To 2000 Rape (Feb '06) Feb '16 TOASTER 6

Lino Lakes Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lino Lakes Mortgages