English only, please, Lino Lakes coun...

English only, please, Lino Lakes councilman urges

There are 83 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 24, 2010, titled English only, please, Lino Lakes councilman urges. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Lino Lakes City Council member Dave Roeser is pushing the ordinance. A Lino Lakes City Council member is asking that his city adopt an English-only policy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
itstimetogo

Saint Paul, MN

#85 Jul 27, 2010
Lino Lakes Resident wrote:
As a Lino Lakes resident, I oppose this proposed ordinance. We don’t currently provide services in any language other than English, and nothing compels our city do so. This ordinance won't save a dime and in fact will cost the city money in order to enact it. As much as I hate frivolous law suits, I also hate frivolous ordinances. In addition, it has already drawn negative attention to our city. I would prefer that Councilman Roeser and Mayer Jeff Reinert spend their time and effort on proposals that will actually manage Lino Lakes resources wisely and move our city forward.
It's also gotten LL a lot of positive attention. There are a lot of people who stand behind the decision. Hence it was passed 4-1. Let's revisit this issue in 5 years and see who is being bullied by the whiners to print everything in several languages. If someone would have done this same thing before the light rail opened it would have saved us Millions because everything is written in 6+ languages. Sounds to me like Mr. Roeser didn't wait until it was too late. Way to go!
itstimetogo

Saint Paul, MN

#86 Jul 27, 2010
America the Great wrote:
Those of you who want immigrants to speak English are paranoid. Let me be the first to tell you, all American citizens are entitled to privatized conversations with each other, so stop ease dropping. Second, these immigrants have so many other issues to discuss. They are not talking about blowing up City Hall (why, when jobs are here in America?), and they aren't saying disparaging things about you (they have kids, relatives back home, school, and ESL classes to talk about), so leave them alone. Third, even if you pass English only laws, these immigrants are only going to go back to their homes and neighborhoods and speak their own language any way. Fourth, are you going to call the cops on immigrants who don't speak their language on the city bus, in the city park, or in the middle of a bra and panty aisle at Walmart, far removed from cash registers? Think about it people. Last, free speech is free speech. The U.S. Constitution doesn't say the only free speech that can be spoken is English. It says free speech is free speech. Under that law, you can babble jibberish without recourse from any one.
You're missing the point. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a single person say they are not allowed to talk!! We let you spew your stupidity on here and no one arrested you for it. See, that's how "Free speech" works. Let them "yammer" all they want but if you can't speak English we're not going to take the time or the money to help you by translating and giving you lot's of free stuff that we've worked al [email protected] off for. No habla Espanol...so sorry.
zorro america

Sarasota, FL

#88 Jul 27, 2010
ranks666 wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN TO THAT MY FRIEND
english is not the language of north america . never was , never will.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lino Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) 3 hr Gina 123
Just curious...what can Hugo do better? (May '16) Nov '16 citizen for a bet... 2
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Sep '16 due diligence che... 17
Hot water (Jul '16) Jul '16 Shygrrl88 1
Trying to decide where in Blaine to live (Jun '16) Jun '16 Fancyuniqueuser1 1
News Court suspends Vadnais Heights lawyer's license (Apr '10) Jun '16 Bar None 11
News Sex offender to be released again: Antonio Mata... (Jul '08) Jun '16 Hes not a monster 3

Lino Lakes Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lino Lakes Mortgages