'I know that I stepped on the brake,' imprisoned Toyota driver ...

Koua Fong Lee, the St. Paul man convicted in a fatal crash involving his Toyota Camry, said he still believes he did everything he could to stop the car. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
White Guys Says

Saint Paul, MN

#44 Feb 14, 2010
and the white guy says this is my land now you
natives.

Don't ever call us immigrants ever again even
though they came from Europe.

We have to enslave and pound this people to
believe this is our land.

If we can't exterminate them we take their
land and move them to the desert.

Let us bring in the black slaves to make our
meals and culture our crops.

This is our land now don't call us immigrant
even though they are from Europe.

The White Guy Says
Freak

Arlington, MA

#45 Feb 14, 2010
Don't see the motive here. Was he trying to kill his family and himself? How can you be slowing down on the ramp and then still reach 90 by the time you get to the intersection?

8 years seems stiff compared to what drunks and the SD politician got for killing a guy. On the other hand the family who was killed got much worse.
Free Jeff Dubay

Minneapolis, MN

#46 Feb 14, 2010
He sould have been drinking. The enemy paper has a story on DWI drivers who have killed and they only serve 6-8 months. This guy needs to be released pending an investigation. Susan Garnter do your Job!
http://www.startribune.com/local/84275377.htm...
SPEXIA_got_finge red

Saint Paul, MN

#47 Feb 14, 2010
SPEXIA wrote:
Isn't he the same hong fong that killed 7 hunters on their property in Wisconsin a few years back? Just joking of course, but not really. I see tons of these xiang xing fongs every year in ND with a new driver license and a new name. They come here to hunt cats and dogs. Is that illegal in Minnesota?
This guy seems like he got beat up one two many times by Hmong people. He's probably trying to get a hood (pillowcase) over his head to feel empowered.
864th Eng

Wichita, KS

#48 Feb 14, 2010
AIRBORNE 82nd wrote:
<quoted text>lET ME TELL YOU SON, THE MAN THAT KILLED 7 HUNTERS IN WISCONSIN, THEY MADE THE SAME VISCOUS REMARKS YOUR MAKING NOW, THOSE SEVEN HUNTERS LIT THE FUSE THE DAY THEY DIED, ALL THEY HAD TO SAY IS SIR YOUR TRESSPASSING AND MR. VANG WOULD HAVE LEFT, INSTEAD THEY IN THERE IGNORANCE DECEIDED TO CALL HIM NAMES, AND THREATEN HIM, THESE PEOPLE WERE SO STUPID, 7 OF THEM WERE NOT ARMED, THE OTHER 2 HID BUT WERE SHOT ANYWAY, BY THE WAY VANG WAS A US ARMY VET, YES WE TRAINED HIM TO SHOOT SO PROFICENTLY, SO THE NEXT TIME YOU DECIDE TO CALL A HMONG RACIST NAMES, REMEBER WHAT HAPPENED, IN WISCONSIN, I SERVED WITH THE HMONG IN LAOS, AND MOST SERVED HONORABLY AND SAVED MANY AMERICAN LIVES AND MANY WERE KILLED FIGHTING ALONG SIDE U.S. TROOPS, LET ME ASK YOU, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR YOUR COUNTRY, I KNOW YOUVE NEVER SERVED IN THE MILITARY, YOUR JUST ANOTHER MOUTH WHO KNOWS NOTHING, WITH A KEYBOARD, IM SUPRISED YOU CAN EVEN TYPE.
Couldn't have said it bettr myself. Also I would hope the judge in this case, if he doesn't get a new trial. at least gets his sentence adjusted to something similar to what " a normal white guy would get". Which reminds me.The drunk woman from Minneapolis that killed the guy at the bus stop barely got any jail time.
Interesting

Minneapolis, MN

#49 Feb 14, 2010
'I know that I stepped on the brake,' imprisoned Toyota driver says of deadly 2006 crash...

But did you turn off your cruise control? Most of these "accelerator" problems are most likely related to driver error and misuse of the cruise control function.

Because this driver was coming off I-94 AND his vehicle is much older than than the models under the recall, I would suspect this is more likely a contributing factor to the deadly accident. Many options to take prior to flying into an intersection, so my sympathy is limited.
Linda

Saint Cloud, MN

#50 Feb 14, 2010
JEF wrote:
Eight years. A long time. Maybe it was a problem with the car, maybe it was not. Maybe the man was just a poor driver. But I wonder if he would have gotten eight years if he was a white Minnesotan--one out of every eight of whom have a DUI, but who still spend less time in jail with multiple DUIs. Looks like White Man's Justice to me. And I am a white male.
I was thinking the same exact thing and I am a white woman. I wonder how long a white man/woman would have served for this if any at all? They probably would have been given probation and house arrest or something. Another example of how prejudice the criminal justice system is.
ISRW

Minneapolis, MN

#51 Feb 14, 2010
Interesting wrote:
'I know that I stepped on the brake,' imprisoned Toyota driver says of deadly 2006 crash...
But did you turn off your cruise control? Most of these "accelerator" problems are most likely related to driver error and misuse of the cruise control function.
Any car with a properly functioning cruise control shuts it down when the brake is applied. You can go on out and try that on your own car. Tap the brake, the cruise disengages.

Seriously, I understand people responding without specific knowledge of this specific Toyota model. But answering without thinking about how *any* car works?

“Aspiring Human”

Since: Jan 09

Florida

#52 Feb 14, 2010
First off, I know the intersection well, nobody in their right mind would be using cruise on that busy part of I-94. Second, Asians do commit suicide at a higher rate than westerns AND sometimes take their families with them. Physics would indicate that if a vehicle is going up-hill, it would slow down. My guess is driving that machine was relatively new to him, he mashed the accelerator...panicked and pressed the accelerator harder to get up to 90 MPH. My guess is he was not trying to commit suicide, but mixed up the brake and accelerator pedals. Sadly three people were killed by this man, and some sort of punishment should be administered. Should he get life in prison, probably not, but should he spend time in prison, yes. If you don't think you can control a machine, then you shouldn't be driving it.
Green Guy

Saint Paul, MN

#53 Feb 14, 2010
I can't help but wonder why the race of this man has anything to do with this accident. 8 years is a tragedy. It makes absoluteley no sense that a drunk driver can kill people and not do any jail time, but an asian man coming home from church with his own family in the car gets 8 years for what clearly sounds to me like a bad accident. I'm still shaking my head. I've never written to the state before or my congress people, but I may just rattle off a letter asking somebody to explain the justice here....
Vong a chong

Minneapolis, MN

#57 Feb 14, 2010
He was probably drifting. He could not hear what was going on due to the large loud muffler he put on the car.
Ray Hummell

Saint Paul, MN

#58 Feb 14, 2010
Let the guy out and put Susan Gaertner in his cell for false prosecution.
joemicdon

Santa Clara, CA

#62 Mar 6, 2010
I have a wrecked '96 Camry in my driveway. Experienced sudden acceleration over 6 months. Nothing to do with mats (no mats in car) nothing to do with gas pedal (have experienced acceleration to full throttle upon starting) Believe it or not, my wife rear-ended me after I shut off the engine and slammed on the brakes while she was following me (too close) on the highway. Camry without warning went to full throttle. Luckily no one was in front of me to kill and I could react without panic because I had already experienced sudden acceleration. This was a miscarriage of justice. Toyota has refused to provide their black box data in nearly every instance. I believe his Toyota is available and should be inspected by a forensic analyst. He should be released pending a new trial with all the evidence available. Toyota has engaged in a cover up of this defect and scores of people have been killed.
Another BOFH

Saint Paul, MN

#63 Mar 11, 2010
Toyota having the "trifecta" of primary car control issues, does a raise some doubt in my mind. I think if it's still available, the black box data in this case needs to be checked out again.

Plus, didn't we have a cop make a mistake of mashing the accelerator and bolt his vehicle into a crowd during the a holiday event sometime back? unfortunately, I don't remember what he got, But I don't think it was 8 years.

I think this might be a sad miscarriage of justice for what ultimately was very unfortunate accident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lino Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man charged with five felonies (Oct '07) Feb 27 Blue Collar 69
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Feb 20 one man one woman 101
A coroner of compassion: The Anoka County medic... (Mar '08) Feb 12 nvrmnd 15
Mortgage scam snagged scores (Jun '08) Feb 4 thompson twins 64
Randi Nicole Blaido (Jul '14) Feb '15 yellowsubmarine 103
noel attaway lmao Jan '15 cupids messanger 1
Review: Silverwood Apartments (Dec '12) Dec '14 NO Dont Do IT 2
Lino Lakes Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web