'I know that I stepped on the brake,'...

'I know that I stepped on the brake,' imprisoned Toyota driver ...

There are 54 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 13, 2010, titled 'I know that I stepped on the brake,' imprisoned Toyota driver .... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Koua Fong Lee, the St. Paul man convicted in a fatal crash involving his Toyota Camry, said he still believes he did everything he could to stop the car.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
johnsmith

Marietta, GA

#1 Feb 13, 2010
1996 camrys have a cable throttle. There's no way it can accelerate without steeping on the gas pedal. Now the throttle could be sticking, but then it will only stick as far as the pedal was depressed. Worst case, it was at half throttle. The brakes would have stopped the car easily.
speculation

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Feb 14, 2010
johnsmith, whats your point? Worst case? Did you look at it? You don't know, so please don't make comments like that. You can't guess. Let the experts look at THE car.
stephren canavan

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Feb 14, 2010
I can smell a lawsuit from 25 miles away.
JEF

Burnsville, MN

#5 Feb 14, 2010
Eight years. A long time. Maybe it was a problem with the car, maybe it was not. Maybe the man was just a poor driver. But I wonder if he would have gotten eight years if he was a white Minnesotan--one out of every eight of whom have a DUI, but who still spend less time in jail with multiple DUIs. Looks like White Man's Justice to me. And I am a white male.
Greg of Minneapolis

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Feb 14, 2010
The mainstream media has fawned over foreign cars for a long time. I recall that even my 1986 Toyota pickup had a lot of rust and corrosion related issues.
Asthma

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Feb 14, 2010
It sounds like his daughter's asthma is uncontrolled. Even well-controlled asthma can lead to severe exacerbations, but it sounds like she is having frequent exacerbations. I hope they take her to a doctor and get her the right meds to keep it under control. That way she can live healthier and Dad can worry less.
taxtaxtax

Portland, OR

#9 Feb 14, 2010
Having worked in corrections, I observed that up to 33% of people jiled are jailed wrongly. That's because the poor simply can't afford QUALITY defense amd public defenders are not good. Let him go.

Since: Feb 08

Baldwin City, KS

#10 Feb 14, 2010
Boy! You could see this coming from far enough away for a Toyota to roll to a stop without brakes!

In any case, Mr Lee coluld put his jail time to good use and learn to speak English. It would be of greast help to him in his defense.
painterman

Baldwin, WI

#11 Feb 14, 2010
BUY AMERICAN !! Just kidding! I know there isn't ANYTHING made here anymore. Auto industry is a BIG JOKE! Charge another ten thousand dollars more for same vehicle every year , meanwhile continuosly putting on CHEAPER parts. I'm wondering if they aren't using LESS parts ,too , just to keep THEIR costs down and profits up. WAAAAAY UP !I wonder how many "recalls" or life threatening problems they had in thirties and forties ??? Maybe NONE ???

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#12 Feb 14, 2010
B as in B, S as in S!

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#13 Feb 14, 2010
Greg of Minneapolis wrote:
The mainstream media has fawned over foreign cars for a long time. I recall that even my 1986 Toyota pickup had a lot of rust and corrosion related issues.
Yes, but it kept running and running and running. I had a 1976 International Scout once, that POS rusted before I got it home from the lot. Talk about quality.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#14 Feb 14, 2010
I can see why he got the verdict of guilty. Many of you Hmong haters are around, and I'm sure were on the jury. I can guarantee, that had the families been reversed, there would not have been jail time. He needs to get the help of a real attorney, the one he has now helped put him in jail. This case proves discrimination is alive and well in Minnesota.
jvm

Piedmont, KS

#15 Feb 14, 2010
And in an 02/12/2010 news article, a Dakota County corrections deputy on probation after killing a motorcyclist in 2007. Equal justice for all.
Affula

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Feb 14, 2010
taxtaxtax wrote:
Having worked in corrections, I observed that up to 33% of people jiled are jailed wrongly. That's because the poor simply can't afford QUALITY defense amd public defenders are not good. Let him go.
What? How could you possibly know the percentage of people wrongly jailed? "Let him go"? Why? He hasn't proved his innocence. All that has happened is Toyota recalled car models that are ten years newer than what this guy was driving... how does that change his guilty verdict?
Affula

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Feb 14, 2010
steve baker wrote:
In any case, Mr Lee coluld put his jail time to good use and learn to speak English. It would be of greast help to him in his defense.
...and you could learn to spell.
AIRBORNE 82nd

River Falls, WI

#18 Feb 14, 2010
johnsmith wrote:
1996 camrys have a cable throttle. There's no way it can accelerate without steeping on the gas pedal. Now the throttle could be sticking, but then it will only stick as far as the pedal was depressed. Worst case, it was at half throttle. The brakes would have stopped the car easily.
Your an idiot, it probably had nothing to do with the throttle cable, it was a malfunction of the electronic cruise control. i have the the dealer notice in my hands, there was never a recall, just a notice sent to the dealers, at the time i worked for alamo car rental, and we performed warranty work on toyotas, so we received the same notices dealers did, we did have some of the vehicles in are fleet and replaced the cruise module identified in the report. this should have been done on all affected cars, the problem is the cars are resold several times and some slip through cracks, unfortunately, his vehicle could have been one of those.
AIRBORNE 82nd

River Falls, WI

#19 Feb 14, 2010
steve baker wrote:
Boy! You could see this coming from far enough away for a Toyota to roll to a stop without brakes!
Whats GREAST
Ray Hummell

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Feb 14, 2010
8 years! The guy is coming home from church with his wife and daughter in the car and choses to ram another car just for fun? I remember a former Governor in SD who killed a guy on a motorcycle and got about 90 days. I am a Rush lovin' right winger but we need some social justice here. Another thing, we need more Hmongs in MN. They are very hard working, have solid, strong families, and are assimilating quickly. Half of the ROTC program at my kids school are Hmong. Check out when the lists of Valedictorians are published in the spring, you'll lots of Vangs, Yangs, & Xiongs. Let Mr. Lee out tomorrow.
Mike Hinckley MN

Sandstone, MN

#22 Feb 14, 2010
Ever heard of Resonable doubt, give the man a retrial!
AIRBORNE 82nd

River Falls, WI

#23 Feb 14, 2010
SPEXIA wrote:
Isn't he the same hong fong that killed 7 hunters on their property in Wisconsin a few years back? Just joking of course, but not really. I see tons of these xiang xing fongs every year in ND with a new driver license and a new name. They come here to hunt cats and dogs. Is that illegal in Minnesota?
lET ME TELL YOU SON, THE MAN THAT KILLED 7 HUNTERS IN WISCONSIN, THEY MADE THE SAME VISCOUS REMARKS YOUR MAKING NOW, THOSE SEVEN HUNTERS LIT THE FUSE THE DAY THEY DIED, ALL THEY HAD TO SAY IS SIR YOUR TRESSPASSING AND MR. VANG WOULD HAVE LEFT, INSTEAD THEY IN THERE IGNORANCE DECEIDED TO CALL HIM NAMES, AND THREATEN HIM, THESE PEOPLE WERE SO STUPID, 7 OF THEM WERE NOT ARMED, THE OTHER 2 HID BUT WERE SHOT ANYWAY, BY THE WAY VANG WAS A US ARMY VET, YES WE TRAINED HIM TO SHOOT SO PROFICENTLY, SO THE NEXT TIME YOU DECIDE TO CALL A HMONG RACIST NAMES, REMEBER WHAT HAPPENED, IN WISCONSIN, I SERVED WITH THE HMONG IN LAOS, AND MOST SERVED HONORABLY AND SAVED MANY AMERICAN LIVES AND MANY WERE KILLED FIGHTING ALONG SIDE U.S. TROOPS, LET ME ASK YOU, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR YOUR COUNTRY, I KNOW YOUVE NEVER SERVED IN THE MILITARY, YOUR JUST ANOTHER MOUTH WHO KNOWS NOTHING, WITH A KEYBOARD, IM SUPRISED YOU CAN EVEN TYPE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lino Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Apr 30 Cjm 140
New restaurant office Bristol Mar '17 Hairless food plz 3
News 4 men arrested in burglary at Obama Elementary ... (Aug '10) Feb '17 Dreco 36
Just curious...what can Hugo do better? (May '16) Nov '16 citizen for a bet... 2
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Sep '16 due diligence che... 17
News Sex offender to be released again: Antonio Mata... (Jul '08) Jun '16 Hes not a monster 3
News Coon Rapids Could Get Name Change (Jan '06) May '16 Daniel 73

Lino Lakes Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lino Lakes Mortgages