Pawlenty: English official state lang...

Pawlenty: English official state language?

There are 51 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Pawlenty: English official state language?. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, speeding toward the end of his final term, said next year's crop of lawmakers should consider making English the state's official language.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Leo

Saint Paul, MN

#43 Aug 5, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
I suspect this was, and still is, normal for older folks.
It is and was. You are correct.

Ignorance is great because then anything goes. No need to know history, context, etc. Just find some target to hate and let 'er rip. Plenty will applaud from the peanut gallery.
BUD

Minneapolis, MN

#44 Aug 5, 2010
Just Sayin wrote:
While we're at it, why don't we consider "Caucasian" to be the official race in our state too? We want to make sure that everyone knows who the "real" Americans are. Is it just me or is the Republican party really that clueless??
It's just you. Here is another reminder to the clueless out there.....there are white people who don't speak English.
Leo

Saint Paul, MN

#45 Aug 5, 2010
BUD wrote:
<quoted text>It's just you. Here is another reminder to the clueless out there.....there are white people who don't speak English.
Really? What percentage of foreign-born people in America, who don't speak English well, are caucasian and not Hispanic? I know the answer. I sincerely doubt you do.
BUD

Minneapolis, MN

#46 Aug 5, 2010
Leo wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? What percentage of foreign-born people in America, who don't speak English well, are caucasian and not Hispanic? I know the answer. I sincerely doubt you do.
More than zero.
Leo

Saint Paul, MN

#47 Aug 5, 2010
BUD wrote:
<quoted text>More than zero.
That's brilliant. You're so very knowledgeable.

So there's maybe 1 person as you described, so this policy is not racially-motivated because this one person exists amid the tens of millions of a different skin color.

You make very convincing arguments.

Please let us know if you ever have a real answer. I doubt you'd have the first clue how to find it and have no interest in finding it. Just want to put it out there that since there's some old Swede in Ohio with poor English, this policy is A-OK.
T DeMoore

Lakeville, MN

#48 Aug 5, 2010
Leo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to burst your bubble; but Hispanics are caucasian.
Leo

Saint Paul, MN

#49 Aug 5, 2010
T DeMoore wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to burst your bubble; but Hispanics are caucasian.
Hate to burst YOUR bubble, but only SOME Hispanics are caucasian. It's also irrelevant since I already qualified my question, but apparently you're too dumb to know the answer, too. Figures, since you think all Hispanics are caucasian.

Keep drooling.
BUD

Minneapolis, MN

#50 Aug 6, 2010
Leo wrote:
<quoted text>
That's brilliant. You're so very knowledgeable.
So there's maybe 1 person as you described, so this policy is not racially-motivated because this one person exists amid the tens of millions of a different skin color.
You make very convincing arguments.
Please let us know if you ever have a real answer. I doubt you'd have the first clue how to find it and have no interest in finding it. Just want to put it out there that since there's some old Swede in Ohio with poor English, this policy is A-OK.
You claimed to know the answer. I did not, only to point out there are some out there as common sense would suggest. The percentage is really irrevelant so I do have no interest in finding it. If, as you suggest, it is motivated by race, then you need to prove it which I doubt you can. We can just add you to the clueless list Leo.
thissucks

Lakeville, MN

#51 Aug 6, 2010
I'm trying to understand the convoluted logic that some people use to equate racism with language? It's comparing apples to television sets. English as the official language would discriminate against no one, and would have no effect, on anyones ethnicity or heritage. All it's saying is speak any, and as many languages as you want, but to communicate with government agencies you must do it in English. It will create a much greater incentive for people to learn the language. It would also open up greater opportunities in the job market. People have to be able to communicate.
Kirkman

Maple Grove, MN

#52 Aug 13, 2010
election year jibberish wrote:
Pawlenty is doing as he's told by his keepers to rile up the voters and make them go running to the polls to "show that nasty Pawlenty and the GOP who's boss." Entenza and Dayton are the big, scary, rich tax-happy dems funding their campaigns with their riches to make everyone vote for "grass roots" Marge. Is anyone buying this charade that our political landscape has become? I've seen better acting on the WWF wrestling. No wonder we ended up with Jesse as a governor. If Emmer will hit Dayton over the head with a folding chair, he has my vote. There, I can play too!!
Good, because Dayton is a coward. He'd let every somali refugee rape the women on Riverside to make his campaign staff "feel good".

MN = weak-kneed Scandinavians + lazy inner trash of all races
The Big Bopper

Saint Paul, MN

#53 Aug 13, 2010
IrishMN wrote:
We are a nation of immigrants. Not all immigrants are able to speak English as soon as they set foot onto American soil. What does T-Paw not understand about that fact?
This is yet another slap in the face of every vulnerable person in the state. He cares nothing about anyone except those that can donate thousands to his failed presidential campaign.
I agree that LEGAL IMMIGRANTS perhaps can't speak English immediately. My grandparents couldn't... and they enrolled in a night school English class and learned. I have come across many legal and illegals that have been here for MANY MANY MANY years and REFUSE to learn. I think that is what irritates people, that they REFUSE to learn. The attitude is "YOU PROVIDE ME with an interpreter! You provide ME with things in MY language" ME ME ME ME ME ME.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lino Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Aug 10 You are welcomed 148
News 4 men arrested in burglary at Obama Elementary ... (Aug '10) Jul '17 Well Well 38
New restaurant office Bristol Mar '17 Hairless food plz 3
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Sep '16 due diligence che... 17
News Sex offender to be released again: Antonio Mata... (Jul '08) Jun '16 Hes not a monster 3
News Coon Rapids Could Get Name Change (Jan '06) May '16 Daniel 73
News DNA Evidence Links Inmate To 2000 Rape (Feb '06) Feb '16 TOASTER 6

Lino Lakes Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lino Lakes Mortgages