Pawlenty: English official state lang...

Pawlenty: English official state language?

There are 51 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Pawlenty: English official state language?. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, speeding toward the end of his final term, said next year's crop of lawmakers should consider making English the state's official language.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#1 Aug 4, 2010
We are a nation of immigrants. Not all immigrants are able to speak English as soon as they set foot onto American soil. What does T-Paw not understand about that fact?

This is yet another slap in the face of every vulnerable person in the state. He cares nothing about anyone except those that can donate thousands to his failed presidential campaign.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
whatever

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Aug 4, 2010
IrishMN wrote:
We are a nation of immigrants. Not all immigrants are able to speak English as soon as they set foot onto American soil. What does T-Paw not understand about that fact?
This is yet another slap in the face of every vulnerable person in the state. He cares nothing about anyone except those that can donate thousands to his failed presidential campaign.
Yes we are a nation of “legal” immigrants, RAD.
the foreign kid

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Aug 4, 2010
Le Braun wrote:
Get rid of all immigrants
thats the same as getting rid of the white man on native american soil.! so that is such a douche respond. typical redneck answer!
Leo

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Aug 4, 2010
Notice how these bigots can never actually show any real-world budgetary impact? You know it's an election year - Republicans are once again rolling out bigotry, hatred, fear, and ignorance. Got to get their troglodyte voters to the booth so they can get back to ripping everyone off.
Hawkshaw

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#6 Aug 4, 2010
Press 1 for english push 2 for spanish...strange they don't say push 3 for arabic or 4 for chinese or 5 for japanese or 6 for swedish etc. Sounds racist to me.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#7 Aug 4, 2010
Why would we make the language of a foreign country (England) our official language? Maybe it's time for an "American" dictionary and language.
Leo

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Aug 4, 2010
Buzz Lightly wrote:
Why would we make the language of a foreign country (England) our official language? Maybe it's time for an "American" dictionary and language.
Um...

http://www.amazon.com/Websters-American-Engli...

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#9 Aug 4, 2010
Leo wrote:
Got to change the title and make it the Dictionary of the American Language. That'll make it our own.
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Aug 4, 2010
If the government isn't responsible for creating translations they can't be held liable for the cost or the sure to follow instances of misunderstanding and misinterpreting.
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Aug 4, 2010
Buzz Lightly wrote:
If you think that the American dialect of English is similar to the English dialect of english then you've never watched the Benny Hill show. I wonder though, are all of the women in England so scantily clad and horney? I might need to move there.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#12 Aug 4, 2010
What would this accomplish? Would it make some feel good about themselves?
Just Sayin

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Aug 4, 2010
While we're at it, why don't we consider "Caucasian" to be the official race in our state too? We want to make sure that everyone knows who the "real" Americans are. Is it just me or is the Republican party really that clueless??
Sam

Albertville, MN

#14 Aug 4, 2010
"Official" language--I don't like it. BUT, it shouldn't be up to the government to discourse in any other language than what 90% of us use.
Nate

Forest Lake, MN

#16 Aug 4, 2010
There are more people in China that speak English than in the United States.

I think it is about time we recognize the fact that we do have an official language, English.
Certain

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Aug 4, 2010
Just Sayin wrote:
While we're at it, why don't we consider "Caucasian" to be the official race in our state too? We want to make sure that everyone knows who the "real" Americans are. Is it just me or is the Republican party really that clueless??
Pretty certain it's you that's clueless. Just to recap: ALL races are WELCOME to come to the United States - LEGALLY, where the official language is ENGLISH. You want to speak your native tongue in your home? Great! You want to speak your native tongue wiht your friends and family who moved here with you? Outstanding!

**DO NOT** expect that everything else will be catered to you on a silver platter and that every single form, legal document, addendum, menu item, road sign, and safety instructions will be written in Swahili, Hindi, Spanish, Hmong, and Gaelic.

I get so tired of this dishwater argument. My great grandparents left the familiar surroundings and sounds of their homeland (Italy) and came to this country and had to learn English - and did so, successfully. They did not expect this country to cater to them, they WANTED to become Americans to contribute to this country and set forth a path of better opportunity for their future generations. And they did just that. They maintained their traditions at home, spoke Italian at home but spoke and read English every where else and THEY adapted to the American way of life. THEY wanted to become Americans, America didn't bait or court them over here...this was their desire, their decision. A desire that I'm sure exists today with others who want to come here.

English is the official language, pure and simple. Stop trying to twist common sense and logic around and quit attempting to re-write history. It doesn't work. We have far more serious problems to work through in the world than this.
Jaime Thissen

Maple Grove, MN

#18 Aug 4, 2010
I agree. English should be the official language.
John

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Aug 4, 2010
I still speak, read and write Chinese even though most of the English language documents are not translated into English and almost all the government places do not have their signs in Chinese (but almost all of them have their signs in Spanish and Hmong). So using the excuse of language diversity is a farce. If you are in the USA, where English is spoken, then you learn English. And if you want, you can preserve your own language at your own expense.
John

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Aug 4, 2010
Oops. I meant "not translated into Chinese".
I don't like my tax dollars to pay for a language interpreter for criminals!
U Betcha

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Aug 4, 2010
I agree... many of the Minnesotans I know can't speak English well anyways... about time they learned the language too.

I love the smell of racism whenever a topic like this shows up online. Brings the idi0ts out of the woodwork.
election year jibberish

Minneapolis, MN

#22 Aug 4, 2010
Pawlenty is doing as he's told by his keepers to rile up the voters and make them go running to the polls to "show that nasty Pawlenty and the GOP who's boss." Entenza and Dayton are the big, scary, rich tax-happy dems funding their campaigns with their riches to make everyone vote for "grass roots" Marge. Is anyone buying this charade that our political landscape has become? I've seen better acting on the WWF wrestling. No wonder we ended up with Jesse as a governor. If Emmer will hit Dayton over the head with a folding chair, he has my vote. There, I can play too!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lino Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 4 men arrested in burglary at Obama Elementary ... (Aug '10) Jul 19 Well Well 38
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Jul 18 Atendee 143
New restaurant office Bristol Mar '17 Hairless food plz 3
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Sep '16 due diligence che... 17
News Sex offender to be released again: Antonio Mata... (Jul '08) Jun '16 Hes not a monster 3
News Coon Rapids Could Get Name Change (Jan '06) May '16 Daniel 73
News DNA Evidence Links Inmate To 2000 Rape (Feb '06) Feb '16 TOASTER 6

Lino Lakes Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lino Lakes Mortgages