Lino Lakes cop accidentally shot duri...

Lino Lakes cop accidentally shot during gun training in Coon Rapids

There are 45 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 5, 2011, titled Lino Lakes cop accidentally shot during gun training in Coon Rapids. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A Lino Lakes police officer was accidentally shot during a training exercise at the Anoka County Law Enforcement Range this afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Joe Blow

Saint Paul, MN

#1 May 5, 2011
You just never hear of this kind of unsafe activity with the Carry Permit folks no do you? You hear about cops shooting each other and themselves frequently. Just Sayin.
Just my thoughts

Circle Pines, MN

#2 May 5, 2011
And whenever they fire a round off at the bad guys, they just about always miss. Hmmm ...
Officer Friendly

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 5, 2011

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.
Serpico

Carol Stream, IL

#4 May 5, 2011
Why wasn't his complete criminal record published here?

Did they bust into his home, ransack his belongings and confiscate his computers?

A civilian would get the treatment.
Serpico

Carol Stream, IL

#5 May 5, 2011
Officer Friendly wrote:
3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
There ARE no unloaded guns. Ever.
Gunney

Saint Paul, MN

#6 May 5, 2011
possible hair trigger on that weapon.
drunkoncouch

Oakes, ND

#7 May 5, 2011
I hope it was a ricochet or he will never hear the end of it.
Jabber

Saint Joseph, MN

#8 May 5, 2011
Some cops should not be allowed to carry hand guns. These guys are not safe. If they need to carry guns carry a shotgun, much more effective than a handgun. Also crooks and gang bangers know you just have to be close to do a lot of damage. A much better law enforcement tool.
Newer is less safe

Delano, MN

#9 May 5, 2011
The current breed of pistols do not have safteys.

All you do is pull the trigger and BAM! They have been fired while being caught in midair after flipping out of a holster, really occurred.

IMHO a pistol is inherently more dangerous than a rifle because they are much more easy to change where it is pointed, they are so small with a very short barrel.

Hope this guy recovers, sounds like that is the current predicted outcome, critical but expected to make a full recovery.
Barney Fife

United States

#10 May 5, 2011
Woops!
Robin

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 5, 2011
Very sad.
Negligent discharge

Minneapolis, MN

#13 May 5, 2011
There's no such thing as an accident.

Guy was likely practicing drawing and ignored Officer Friendly's Rule No. 2.

Finger-on-the-trigger disease is the cause of 60 percent of unintentional discharge incidents.

And hey, "Newer is less safe" They do have safeties. They're just not manual thumb safeties. Your brain is the safety anyway. If it's not working, you aren't safe.
Hmmm

Minneapolis, MN

#14 May 5, 2011
A citizen would be investigated for some form of "reckless discharge of a firearm." I doubt this will happen here.
KTK

Saint Paul, MN

#15 May 5, 2011
Fluke. Another article said it was a ricochet and hit him between the belt and the vest.
Laughing

Saint Paul, MN

#16 May 5, 2011
KTK wrote:
Fluke. Another article said it was a ricochet and hit him between the belt and the vest.
All the cop haters out there proved their ignorance by doing what they do best:

1) Jumping to conclusions
2) Letting their overactive imaginations and personal biases fill in the gaps of an incomplete story

Thanks for the info KTK.
Chuck

Saint Paul, MN

#20 May 5, 2011
I thought Barney Fife had long ago retired.
Sarah Brady

Minneapolis, MN

#22 May 6, 2011
Serpico wrote:
<quoted text>
There ARE no unloaded guns. Ever.
it's sounds like maybe his should be.

he can carry a bullet in his pocket.
sgt slaughter

Chippewa Falls, WI

#23 May 6, 2011
Take away his bullets, ah i guess you can give him one, even Barney had one.

“"Molon Labe"”

Since: Oct 09

North Afghanistan

#24 May 6, 2011
Every firearm has a safety....its called a finger....keep it off the trigger and you wont get that sudden boom noise.
Ron V

United States

#26 May 6, 2011
Hopefully it isn't fatal. They will have to rename the road to the range. Then 5,000 more will have to have a parade with their lights flashing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lino Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Looking for God? Try the 'burbs. (Feb '11) Apr 19 dGo mnaDde lyHo i... 931
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Mar '16 nothankyou 119
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Mar '16 county employee 16
News DNA Evidence Links Inmate To 2000 Rape (Feb '06) Feb '16 TOASTER 6
When is Blaine Johnsville Garage Sales??? (Apr '08) Jan '16 packerfan0822 17
News Defendant guilty in deadly brawl at Time Out ba... (Feb '08) Jan '16 Michael turner 20
News Second route costly: MTO Jan '16 how old bridge to... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lino Lakes Mortgages