Toyota in fatal St. Paul crash gets scrutiny in April

Experts hired by prosecutors and defense attorneys for a man convicted in a deadly St. Full Story
Jumping Jack Flash

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Mar 23, 2010
Finally!!!

The experts will see nothing is wrong with the Toyota...

And the accident was HUMAN ERROR!!!

Then the Government driven MEDIA can leave Toyota alone!!!
dude from Anoka

United States

#2 Mar 23, 2010
Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
Finally!!!
The experts will see nothing is wrong with the Toyota...
And the accident was HUMAN ERROR!!!
Then the Government driven MEDIA can leave Toyota alone!!!
I want to say that it was human error that caused a 1988 Toyota Corolla 2-door coupe to rev up to 5000RPM this one time I was driving it back in 1994. I was coming to a stop and coasting/braking in neutral, and all of a sudden the engine revved up. I tap the gas pedal, no change. Pulled off to the side, stopped, and waited about 10 seconds before I killed the car. Gas pedal wasn't stuck - moves up and down ok; popped hood, nothing stuck on throttle actuator or cable. Started up car again, and it ran fine from that point. When I got home I checked the throttle body/injector and it wasn't shiny clean but it wasn't gunked over either. Problem never reoccurred and the car was eventually sold in '95.

Now, anyone can have mechanical/electrical issues with ANY car at any time. After all, they are mechanical/electrical, and CAN and WILL fail. Sometimes it comes down to the timing and luck we have when it fails. In this guy's instance, I sincerely believed he didn't drive recklessly (would you, with a pregnant wife and you child in the car?), and it was most likely a fluke occurance of something similar to what I experienced. To have the prosecutor charge him with vehicular homicide was wrong on the part of law enforcement. As sure as Toyota and his defence attorneys will not find anything wrong with the car, what he experienced CAN happen, probably did, and his case needs to be tossed.
MHS1978

Fargo, ND

#3 Mar 24, 2010
What if this man had been a suburban white man instead of a recent Asian immigrant? Do we really think the result would have been the same? This case should be very, very carefully scrutinized to insure that justice is done. Why do we believe other cases of unexplained acceleration but not this man?
May

Delafield, WI

#4 Mar 25, 2010
He is innocent...He needs to be freed. I dont understand he has been innocent for all these years and the state will actually put an innocent man behind bars for something he did not intentionally do. Who would want to put their family and other peoples in danger by just speeding and crashing for no reason. That makes no sense to me!
try the brakes

Hopkins, MN

#5 Mar 26, 2010
May wrote:
He is innocent...He needs to be freed. I dont understand he has been innocent for all these years and the state will actually put an innocent man behind bars for something he did not intentionally do. Who would want to put their family and other peoples in danger by just speeding and crashing for no reason. That makes no sense to me!
Car and driver magazine did a braking test on several different makes of cars because of unintended acceleration. From Camry V6s to a 540hp Roush Mustang. EVERY SINGLE ONE was able to overcome the engine at full throttle and stop the car from 70 mile per hour. EVERY ONE! Now tell me how people aren't stepping on the wrong pedal.
who believes

Hopkins, MN

#6 Mar 27, 2010
MHS1978 wrote:
What if this man had been a suburban white man instead of a recent Asian immigrant? Do we really think the result would have been the same? This case should be very, very carefully scrutinized to insure that justice is done. Why do we believe other cases of unexplained acceleration but not this man?
Who says we believe? Driver error.
Absolutely

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Mar 27, 2010
try the brakes wrote:
<quoted text>
Car and driver magazine did a braking test on several different makes of cars because of unintended acceleration. From Camry V6s to a 540hp Roush Mustang. EVERY SINGLE ONE was able to overcome the engine at full throttle and stop the car from 70 mile per hour. EVERY ONE! Now tell me how people aren't stepping on the wrong pedal.
Absolutely Correct. DRIVER ERROR.
Buzz Lightly

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Mar 27, 2010
try the brakes wrote:
<quoted text>
The NEW Camry (with 4-wheel disk brakes) required 435 feet from full throttle at 100 mph to come to a stop (the Mustang required 903 feet). The drivers in this test needed no reaction time because knew exactly what was happening.

A 10-year-old Camry would need considerably more than a new one to come to a stop from 90+ mph given the age of the brake system and tires and most probably having the standard combination of disk/drum brakes. Add in reaction time, possibly pumping the brakes, and a screaming family in the car and the stopping time greatly increases. At 132 feet per second the car could easily go from ramp to intersection without slowing more than one-third.

We know that you can anticipate and instantly react to any emergency that comes along but not everyone is so blest.
try the brakes

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Mar 27, 2010
If you are stupid enough to wait until you are doing 100mph before trying to stop, I'd call that human error. What reaction time do you need? Just stomp on the brakes and turn the key off! Remember, the driver should be smarter than the car....
Buzz Lightly

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Mar 28, 2010
try the brakes wrote:
If you are stupid enough to wait until you are doing 100mph before trying to stop, I'd call that human error. What reaction time do you need? Just stomp on the brakes and turn the key off! Remember, the driver should be smarter than the car....
No, you don't turn the key off. Turning off the ignition removes the power brake assist and the power steering. In many cars, it locks up the steering. Also, in a case like my old Mustang, it requires two hands to turn off the ignition. Shifting to neutral, on cars that permit it at that speed, is the only safe option.

Like I said before, your lighting quick reflexes and super fast mental recall probably protect you in any emergency situation but not everyone is gifted like you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lino Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Randi Nicole Blaido 2 hr Hurtingballs 25
Man charged with five felonies (Oct '07) Dec 23 24 to 36 jail time 68
Review: Silverwood Apartments (Dec '12) Dec 18 NO Dont Do IT 2
Mills Fleet Farm (Jul '07) Dec 10 jim in duluth 15
Ramsey County home values rising, and so are th... Dec 8 doomsayer 1
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Nov '14 Paul 96
Former sheriff Fletcher files to run for Ramsey... (Jun '12) Nov '14 Dutchman 3
Lino Lakes Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web