4 face charges in W.Va. dog attack

4 face charges in W.Va. dog attack

There are 21 comments on the Charleston Daily Mail story from Dec 2, 2009, titled 4 face charges in W.Va. dog attack. In it, Charleston Daily Mail reports that:

Monroe County Sheriff Michael Gravely says four people are facing misdemeanor charges over an attack by a pack of dogs on a 70-year-old man.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Daily Mail.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Emily

Harrisonburg, VA

#1 Dec 3, 2009
I feel so sorry for that old man. And I also feel sorry for the dogs. Someone had to teach those dogs to fight or starve them enough to cause a pack like behavior. The owners should be starved and beaten like those defenseless animals so they know how it feels.
Confused

United States

#2 Dec 3, 2009
Any breed at anytime can exhibit "pack behavior". I have three chiwahwhas, and if one starts barking at someone they all do and go after it. Ive seen these little ankle biters join in to show a stranger who is boss in our yard. Pack behavior is a natural thing a dog is born with even in dogs that are kept as pets. Starving or teaching them to fight might lend to it but isnt the cause of pack behavior. Twenty years ago I was a breeder of pitbulls. I found it hard to always move these dogs out to people that wasnt using them for violence, so I stopped. These dogs are often used as pertection. Either to property or the owners. And yes sometimes but not all times these dogs are used to provide security for illegal activities.

Perfect example: I have a 3 lb. chiwahwha. He is very protective of me sitting on my lap most times. He will bite anyone that comes near me. He is very aggressive towards all strangers. Most times biting them unless im able to stop him. I warn everyone that enters my home to beware. Now I had a pitbull named erin for 14 years. She was 74 lbs. when she passed away. She never bit a single person in her lifetime. She never was aggressive towards anyone or anything. My older children would use her as a pillow to watch tv. Now mind you this was many years ago, and there was not as much media attention on these dogs being agressive. Would I allow these things today, no. Erin was having puppies and my daughter layed and pet her while she was in labor and delivering them. She was a very gentle dog. The difference is this: When my little chiwahwha bites he can leave a mark. Sometimes he has drawn blood. But never nothing to need a stitch. When a pitbull bites, there is alot more force behind that bite. And it would take more to stop them from the attack or to remove them from the person they are attacking. With my experience, I would have to say I trusted my pitbull more then I did my chiwahwha not to bite. But I KNEW my pitbull could cause more damage if she did.

So I dont want to start a debate about if they are dangerous. YES they can be. BUT I do feel its a big responcibility owning one of these dogs. You have to protect other people and you have to protect the dog. Seems in this case neither was done. That poor man should have never been attacked and YES it could have been prevented. Any responsible large breed dog owner be it pitbull, german sheppard or collie should take proper steps to make sure people are safe around their dogs. And should protect their dogs from getting themself into this type of situation. All of our prayers go out to the family of this man. May God bless and keep you. Get well son.
just me

Princeton, WV

#3 Dec 3, 2009
Confused wrote:
Any breed at anytime can exhibit "pack behavior". I have three chiwahwhas, and if one starts barking at someone they all do and go after it. Ive seen these little ankle biters join in to show a stranger who is boss in our yard. Pack behavior is a natural thing a dog is born with even in dogs that are kept as pets. Starving or teaching them to fight might lend to it but isnt the cause of pack behavior. Twenty years ago I was a breeder of pitbulls. I found it hard to always move these dogs out to people that wasnt using them for violence, so I stopped. These dogs are often used as pertection. Either to property or the owners. And yes sometimes but not all times these dogs are used to provide security for illegal activities.
Perfect example: I have a 3 lb. chiwahwha. He is very protective of me sitting on my lap most times. He will bite anyone that comes near me. He is very aggressive towards all strangers. Most times biting them unless im able to stop him. I warn everyone that enters my home to beware. Now I had a pitbull named erin for 14 years. She was 74 lbs. when she passed away. She never bit a single person in her lifetime. She never was aggressive towards anyone or anything. My older children would use her as a pillow to watch tv. Now mind you this was many years ago, and there was not as much media attention on these dogs being agressive. Would I allow these things today, no. Erin was having puppies and my daughter layed and pet her while she was in labor and delivering them. She was a very gentle dog. The difference is this: When my little chiwahwha bites he can leave a mark. Sometimes he has drawn blood. But never nothing to need a stitch. When a pitbull bites, there is alot more force behind that bite. And it would take more to stop them from the attack or to remove them from the person they are attacking. With my experience, I would have to say I trusted my pitbull more then I did my chiwahwha not to bite. But I KNEW my pitbull could cause more damage if she did.
So I dont want to start a debate about if they are dangerous. YES they can be. BUT I do feel its a big responcibility owning one of these dogs. You have to protect other people and you have to protect the dog. Seems in this case neither was done. That poor man should have never been attacked and YES it could have been prevented. Any responsible large breed dog owner be it pitbull, german sheppard or collie should take proper steps to make sure people are safe around their dogs. And should protect their dogs from getting themself into this type of situation. All of our prayers go out to the family of this man. May God bless and keep you. Get well son.
well said...u are completely right.
sweetpea

United States

#4 Dec 4, 2009
The gentleman that was attacked by the dogs died overnight.My heart goes out to his family not only to lose a loved one but in such a horrible way. Wonder if the charges will be upped to murder now?If you choose to own animals such as that you must be responsible for their actions.
Think Twice

Hillsboro, WV

#5 Dec 7, 2009
http://www.wvnstv.com/story.cfm...

Prayers for the family.
CBoggs

AOL

#6 Dec 7, 2009
Couldn't have said it better Confused My heart does go out to the family of the gentleman who at the time of this posting has passed. Many many prayers for the healing and strength for his family now.
super bear

Enola, PA

#7 Dec 7, 2009
This family needs all of our prayers.
Sfizzle

Athens, WV

#8 Jan 13, 2010
Seeing as how I KNOW ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHOS DOGS THEY WERE!!! THEY NEVER STARVED THE DOGS NOR BEAT THEM OR TRAINED THEM TO FIGHT! All the dogs were usually very friendly!!!
Sfizzle

Athens, WV

#9 Jan 13, 2010
IM very sorry for the family and there loss of the elderly man! My prayers go out to the family!
Prayers

Clear Spring, MD

#10 Jan 13, 2010
These families needs prayers. Think of them today, and pray for peace.
George

Roanoke, VA

#11 Feb 10, 2010
Sfizzle your full of shit. Those dogs had shown major signs of aggression before which is why the prosecuting attorney is going after manslaughter charges on the owner.
fisherman

Welch, WV

#12 Feb 15, 2010
Sfizzle wrote:
Seeing as how I KNOW ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHOS DOGS THEY WERE!!! THEY NEVER STARVED THE DOGS NOR BEAT THEM OR TRAINED THEM TO FIGHT! All the dogs were usually very friendly!!!
if they were so friendly then why did justin get a ticket or two or atleast a warning for raising a visous dogs and if they were so friendly AFTER all the dogs but ONE be put down and still that one was so mean to dr hunter that he couldnt hardly feed it without it attacking you cant say that the pack caused it to fight cause they were all dead at the time.....hmmm dang I wished they wouldnt put these dogs down I should have gotten one for my kid since they were so nice..........NOT I AINT STUPID!!!!!!
Bigin

Santa Clara, CA

#13 Mar 22, 2010
These dogs had been trying to get some one for a long time now. I have had to put up with them for over a year on of them even tryed to come after me in my one yard. There owners is all low life pieces of sh$t. I hope they get all that is comein to them. Thay deal in drags and get out of jell every time. Will I hope not this time. Thay should be shot jusl like the dogs.
Kim

United States

#14 Mar 24, 2010
justin's dog echo tried to get me and one of my friends that lives right down the road from them those dogs where not friendly far from it that dog scared the crap out of me when he came after me.

Since: Aug 08

Athens, WV

#15 Mar 24, 2010

Really? Then why were they in Bob's before the trial bragging about how they had fed the dogs gun or lead powder to intentionally make them more aggressive? Everyone in Bobs heard-whoever was working that day, myself, and my boyfriend.

During the summer I go to my cousins house and walk my dogs, and their dogs along that road. Multiple times I've been told that we have to stop right before you go up the hill because "They have pittbulls and they have killed other people's dogs." No one should have to die because their face was eaten off. Hopefully the system will give them what they deserve, and that is the nicest restatement of the sentence that I am really thinking about.
Lindside Gal

White Sulphur Springs, WV

#16 Apr 3, 2010
Last weekend I was driving out the road an the white pitbull jumped at my car. I wish it had got in front of it. That would have been one day my brakes were not working.
bss

United States

#17 May 4, 2010
Sfizzle wrote:
BULLSHIT!!!!!! the only reason he had them dogs was to protect his drugs
pit bull owner

United States

#18 May 12, 2010
I've owned pit bulls since i was fifteen years old, I've never seen any behavior that ever made me think they were dangerous. Mine have been lovable, obedient, and very easy to train. I hear all this crap all the time about how vicious they are, and get sick of it. I agree with the statements that it was probably owner negligence. I can grantee if people would give this breed a chance and a good environment they would be making statements like this one. To the people making these statements about how viscous pit bulls are please research the breed before you make any hasty decisions, like wanting to hit one with your vehicle .My prayers go to the family.
Ranger

Chesterfield, MO

#19 May 12, 2010
Well said
curious

United States

#20 Nov 11, 2010
I done a search on internet one time on death caused by dogs. It kind of startled me to see how many people were killed and mauled by pit bull dog and pit mixes. I know not all pits are vicious cause my aunt has one that is a pussycat,scared of it's own shadow. But by looking at the statistics you couldn't help but be a little leary of pitbulls.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lindside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
anybody wanna hang out? 16 hr John Sealer 4
Driveway sealing 16 hr Honest John Sealer 9
How is Travis fox doing? (Jan '11) Wed Corky 4
timothy tincher Jul 13 Lmfal 6
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Jul 12 snakes 4,163
Sheriff's Dept Jul 11 Concerned taxpayer 6
gore corn (Jul '11) Jul 9 Kelley 7149 26

Lindside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance