Eric Smith gets 4th try for parole ne...

Eric Smith gets 4th try for parole next week

There are 276 comments on the Star-Gazette story from Jun 4, 2008, titled Eric Smith gets 4th try for parole next week. In it, Star-Gazette reports that:

CORNING -- Convicted murderer Eric M. Smith, formerly of Savona, will get his fourth opportunity for parole next week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star-Gazette.

Kaylee

Irvine, CA

#21 Jul 29, 2008
I just did some research and found out it was also a sex crime. Eric Smith sodomized Derrick with a stick. He's definitely the next Dahmer....
Aaron

AOL

#22 Jul 29, 2008
I don't think it's a matter of forgiveness, Maybe you could forgive, but you still don't let a mad dog run free.
This kid is a mad dog and should have been put down if there was true justice.

And yes, 4 yrs old is way too young to be let loose on his own. His mother probably curses herself every day of her life over that one.
Ryan

Irvine, CA

#23 Jul 29, 2008
Honestly, I would have more sympathy for Eric Smith, if he would have taken out his aggressions on those school bullies that were harrassing him. But, to take your frustrations out on a defenseless 4 year old who has never done anything wrong?
Patriot Chilly Willie

United States

#24 Jul 29, 2008
So many others who have murdered people have been released , why is he any different...

A criminal pays his dues and leaves the system and some even go back,

But to pre-judge is in error ...

I sincerely feel sorry for both families, they both have lost loved ones...

Maybe the parole system made the right choice, maybe they didn't ... but I don't think he's going anywhere too soon...
Wendy Jamestown NY

Vestal, NY

#25 Aug 1, 2008
It's such a shame that the parents, family & friends of Derrick Robie have to relive the nightmare every 2 years fearing that Eric Smith may someday be set free. Eric Smith is evil....he has the same evil look today in his eyes that he had back on the day he was arrested. This sick individual should never be set free, not today, not ever. He knew what he was doing and for the mere fact that he did it to feel better is scary. I do believe that if he was not arrested, that he would have killed over and over until caught "to Feel Better", and I do believe that if released from prison, he will someday need "to feel better"...My prayers are with Derrick Robie's family and wish they didn't have to deal with the thought of Eric Smith ever being released!
Vanessa wrote:
Eric Smith was 13 years old when he KILLED a 4 year old Derrick Robie. He was a teenager and he was definitely aware of what he was doing. He knew it was wrong but he not only did it anyway and he also enjoyed the whole thing. Dear J, we are thinking, we are thinking and grieving for Derrick’s family. His parents who lost a son to cold blooded murder; his little brother who looked for him in the house everyday after he was brutally KILLED. If Derrick is alive today, he would have been 19 and and graduated high school, went to his prom and leaving home for the first time going to university. This little soul will never have the chance to experience life and happiness and it was all taken away by a monster. Please tell me WHY this monster who was the cause of many people’s broken hearts should be released?
If he truly meant when he said that he is willing to trade places with Derrick, he should call off the parole himself, stay where he belongs because the place he is in right now is heaven compare to poor little Derrick.
Wendy Jamestown NY

Vestal, NY

#26 Aug 1, 2008
It's such a shame that the parents, family & friends of Derrick Robie have to relive the nightmare every 2 years fearing that Eric Smith may someday be set free. Eric Smith is evil....he has the same evil look today in his eyes that he had back on the day he was arrested. This sick individual should never be set free, not today, not ever. He knew what he was doing and for the mere fact that he did it to feel better is scary. I do believe that if he was not arrested, that he would have killed over and over until caught "to Feel Better", and I do believe that if released from prison, he will someday need "to feel better"...My prayers are with Derrick Robie's family and wish they didn't have to deal with the thought of Eric Smith ever being released!
Melissa

Rochester, NY

#27 Aug 2, 2008
NO WAY! No way should they release him. He needs to stay in Jail. How awful to take the life of a sweet angel. Unbelieveable what people in this society do. NO way...he needs to stay right where he is and NEVER be released no matter how many years pass...Derrick's life was taken...So Eric's life should be taken too. I'm sure he is sorry now (just so he can be released), but that will never take the pain away from Derrick's family! My thoughs are with the family!
just say No to wease

Webster, NY

#28 Aug 2, 2008
I love how PPL say this 13 year old child knew what he was doing when he killed that kid.

But when a 16 year old girl seduces a teacher for only sex she has NO IDEA all the sudden.

f- the double standard bull in society.

let the kid out.
Mother and Christian

Chandler, AZ

#29 Aug 2, 2008
It is heart breaking Derrick fell victim to Eric but who had Eric been victimized by?? God does not create evil children. Passing judgement is the easy way out. There seemed to be a ton of warning signs that Eric needed help prior to the murder, where was everyone during his time of need?? A few more people were negligent in this case then they published. I do not condone Eric's actions!!
Marc Knight

Nashville, TN

#30 Aug 2, 2008
I would like someone to send me an address for Eric M. Smith so i can write him about a possible bill for his situation. If anyone has an address, please forward to [email protected] . thank you
Sophie

United States

#31 Aug 3, 2008
Eric Smith should stay exactly where he is for the rest of his life, actuallly I think he has it pretty good. I believe he should have to sit in a cell by himself 24/7 without anything to do but think about what he did for the rest of his life. It shows to me that putting the Robey family through torture every two years that he does not realize or feel bad for what he did, if he really did he would not put them through this every two years. He is still only thinking about his own gratification. He is a weird and scary, I would not feel safe for any body not just children if he ever gets out. Any body who thinks any different has a major problem themselves, and might want to take a look at how they would feel if it was one of their loved ones.
Elisabeth

AOL

#32 Aug 4, 2008
ERIC, not everyone is against you! Some people understand that bullies are the criminals, not YOU the victim. Derrick was indeed a victim but you were first. God bless you and please if you can contact me, i want to help.
Elisabeth

AOL

#33 Aug 4, 2008
Goldie wrote:
Derrick Robie's mother should also be to blame. How the hell do you let a 4 year old walk ANYWHERE by himself? Eric Smith would have NEVER been able to kill Derrick if Derrick's mother hadn't been so LAZY and gotten off her butt and walked him to school. There is no excuse for letting a FOUR YEAR OLD out of your sight. That is entirely TOO YOUNG and TOO NEGLIGENT! It is absolutely true that what Eric did to that boy was horrific...but the fact STILL REMAINS...that boy would be alive today had that mother did her JOB and watched over her son.
Mrs. Robie should NEVER blame herself and neither should Eric. THE TRUE CRIMINALS are the BULLIES.......those animals attacked Eric every day of his life until he was so angry he killed.......THEY are never heard from but THEY are to blame for the child's death and for Eric's incarceration. Eric, you are a VICTIM, honey, NOT a devil, don't you ever forget it. The true Lord understands, you are blameless!
yo dude

Hilton, NY

#34 Aug 4, 2008
some crimes are just so sick and showing a depraved nature, that we as a society don't wantb to risk a personality like that loose again. sorry pc liberals, but you can bite me.
Patriot Chilly Willie

United States

#35 Aug 5, 2008
Bully's don't make anyone do the wrong thing. He did it out of anger and frustration. He was abandoned by his peers, his parents and his school teachers and administrators and the police...

Someone knew he was going through abuse and looked the other way...

When his time is up, he deserves to be released like any other inmate.
John

Brooklyn, NY

#36 Aug 9, 2008
This is not a ordinary case. We could have compassion for a teen robbing someone with a gun without killing or maiming someone we could forgive a teen selling crack. Murder is hard to forgive. But if the victim was a rival gang member (not a civilian) and it was a gang war we could consider 15 years a possible just sentence and may-be forgive Eric. But this is the most dispicable crime I ever encountered. He lured that poor little boy and with a blood lust he sadistically beat and choked that poor little boy to death. Can you imagine the terror that little boy felt and the pain and him wondering "Why are you doing this to me? Please somebody help me? Mommy, Daddy help!" But Smith enjoyed it killing that boy and then sticking a stick up his rectum sick very sick. Justice would be for Eric Smith to be beat to death slowly with a baseball bat. I am not a fan of the death penalty but in special cases like this I say kill him. Eric Smith was never a teen child but a teen monster. If they want to show him compassion spare him the baseball bat and strap him to the gurney and "put him to sleep" which is way more compassion he showed the little boy. Also the pain the little boys parents must feel knowing that monster took their little babies life.
John

Brooklyn, NY

#37 Aug 9, 2008
One more thing even if Smith got out and didn't kill again the only reason he wouldn't kill again is not because he has reformed and is a good person but because he would be afraid of getting caught. If he knew he couldn't get caught he would kill and kill again and again because he is a sadist and he likes to hurt helpless children or animals and will not change. He would go back to torturing and killing poor animals which he also has done in the past. Let him die in prison!
concerned mom

United States

#38 Aug 9, 2008
I live in this community and have felt anger at eric and his parents for raising a monster like him. i feel horror at the thought that a child killer could be relised back in to the community that still has not healed from the distruction he wrot on us. my mom worked with derricks father and we would take my younger sisters out to savona to trick or treat every year now that dosen't happen any longer. my six year old is my life and this community has embraced him
if Eric is relessed and so much as looks at my son i will forget that murder is wrong and i will do what we all have waited for the convects that he lives with to do
Elisabeth

AOL

#39 Aug 10, 2008
Bullies don't make anyone do the wrong thing? You "concerned mom" would kill him? My GOD you are the animals you are speaking against. WHY is it okay for children to be bullied until they can feel NOTHING for helpless children or anyone else? If YOUR child came home every day of their life from school beaten up and physically battered YOU would react. You would call the school, you would go down there, you would speak to the other parents you would TAKE ACTION. But when that same child is made fun of every day of their life, emotionally battered until all they can feel is HATE you do NOTHING. Half the time you might not even know. God help us. Eric is innocent in his heart. You have none because you do not know what it is like.
Elisabeth

AOL

#40 Aug 10, 2008
Eric was abused. He was abused for years and violently so, only that violence was emotional. You are ugly. You are not as good as us. We would NEVER look at you. Children like him are not invited to the prom, they do not go on dates, they don't have friends to share adolescence with. They are scarred. I was there. I didn't kill. I didn't kill myself. But I am always aware. Aware that I am not as good as you. Hell, it was ingrained in me since the age of 7. I would have done anything to escape going to school. No one understood. It builds character they said. Ignore them they said. Yeah. You don't live it for 8 hours of every day 5 days a week. Until those cruel evil people are called to task and made responsible there will be more like Eric. More like Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris. This abuse and the PTSD that follows MUST be addressed. Emotional abuse IS abuse. Never forget.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lindley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dangerous people working at world kitchen corni... (Dec '09) May '16 hypothetical 19
News Holocaust survivor to speak in Corning Updated at Apr '16 Sheri Ann 1
News Police say they've found Auburn teen missing si... Apr '16 Sheri Ann 1
News Staff slipups on patient privacy can get doctor... Apr '16 Sheri Ann 1
Irresponsible Hobby Breeder??? What do you thi... (Aug '15) Jan '16 adorable74 4
Horror at Double O Ranch / East Winds (Sep '15) Dec '15 Dani2001 3
Eric Smith and parole 2014 (Oct '13) Dec '15 Pauli 66

Lindley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lindley Mortgages