Eric Smith gets 4th try for parole next week

Jun 4, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Star-Gazette

CORNING -- Convicted murderer Eric M. Smith, formerly of Savona, will get his fourth opportunity for parole next week.

Comments
1 - 20 of 278 Comments Last updated Oct 28, 2013
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Vanessa

Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2008

Judged:

Eric Smith was 13 years old when he KILLED a 4 year old Derrick Robie. He was a teenager and he was definitely aware of what he was doing. He knew it was wrong but he not only did it anyway and he also enjoyed the whole thing. Dear J, we are thinking, we are thinking and grieving for Derrick’s family. His parents who lost a son to cold blooded murder; his little brother who looked for him in the house everyday after he was brutally KILLED. If Derrick is alive today, he would have been 19 and and graduated high school, went to his prom and leaving home for the first time going to university. This little soul will never have the chance to experience life and happiness and it was all taken away by a monster. Please tell me WHY this monster who was the cause of many people’s broken hearts should be released?
If he truly meant when he said that he is willing to trade places with Derrick, he should call off the parole himself, stay where he belongs because the place he is in right now is heaven compare to poor little Derrick.
Chris

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2008

Judged:

Erik Smith should stay in jail and rot for what he did to little Derrick Robie. He was a teenager at the time and yes he knew what he was doing and for that he should stat in jail for the rest of his life. I was so touched and cried with my wife when i seen this on tv with Dan Rather i have a 11 year old and a 4 year old and they mean everything to me. I cant imagine what little Derrick Robies parants are going through every two years now my heart goes out them both and there family. I hope he stays in jail for the senceless crime and murder he did on an innocent 4 year old boy who had so much promise in life and that got all wiped away when little derrick trusted the monster (erik smith) Once again Robie family our hearts go out to you after all these years stay strong God be with you little Derrick will always watch over you....
Cooter

Fenton, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2008

Judged:

That red headed weirdo should be sodamized with a ball bat and then beat to death with it.
Walt

Clarksville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

Judged:

He took Derrick Robie's life by smashing his 4 year old head in with a rock. Why should he be turned loose to return to the small community that most assuredly does not want him there? Let us hope the parole board denies his request a 4th time tomorrow.
Walt

Clarksville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Judged:

ALBION - Convicted childkiller Eric Smith has been denied parole and will spend at least two more years in state prison.

A state parole board released its decision Thursday, June 12.

"This panel remains concerned with a mindset, which, for no legitimate reason, would cause you to brutally and savagely beat and sodomize an innocent 4-year-old child," the parole board said in its decision. "This senseless disregard for the sanctity of human life and the norms of our society continues to raise questions about your ability to lead a lawabiding life. When considered with required and relevant factors, it is concluded that your discretionary release at this time remains incompatible with the welfare of the community."

Smith, now 28, was 13 when he murdered 4-year-old Derrick Robie in August 1993. Smith lured Robie into a wooded area as the boy walked to a youth summer camp in Savona.

Smith killed Robie by strangling him and striking him with large rocks. He then stuffed a napkin into Robie's mouth, poured Kool-Aid on him and violated the boy's body.

The victim's father, Dale Robie, said the decision will provide the family relief "for about a year and a half" until Smith is eligible for parole again in May 2010.

"I appreciate anybody who sent in a letter (to the parole board) in support of us," Robie said. "(The decision) does help. I would like to see (the time between) parole hearings go longer for some people, especially those convicted of murder. Now, we just do what we have to every two years."
Diana Mexico

Juventino Rosas, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Judged:

Hi will be a serial killer, should stay in jail for ever.
DRUMMER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2008

Judged:

If they let this dude out he would end up killed. The state knows this and has protected his ass once again.If they really were interested in justice, they would release him and let the Robie family take care of him. Where was the state when little derrick needed them ?
cynthia james

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2008

Judged:

I think that he knew what he was doing and therefore he should stay in there until the day he dies. He was old enough to know right from wrong. The world cannot bring back DERRICK so why should he get to walk around scott-free, HELL NO DO NOT LET HIM GO!!!
sherri

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2008

Judged:

I live in this community. Why bring back bad memories for the robie family???I know he will not be welcomed....
Martina

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2008

Judged:

We had Abused kids a lot and some made it and some were serial killers. Talking about good looking ted bundy and tons more. All of those have a history . They were charming and trustworthy and you were dead. YOu have the smell of killing and it won't stop you to do it? I am careful in my judgement about parole of killers. They smell it ones and they do. It is for them like taking a dog to a walk in the park or having breakfast. They maid learned in prison a little but they had the feelings ones and they did.
Martina

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2008

Judged:

I could never touch a person or kill a person. There is something in me what stop me. Even if I am mad. I could not. There is something missing in those guys who do .
danielle

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2008

i think eric smith should spend life in prison he gives me the f*cking creeps. he should also go to hell.
LLC

Paulsboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2008

Judged:

Let's be real about this... he won't stay in forever so all the "let him rot" statements may make people feel better they have no real impact on what will happen. Reality is, he will be released at some point in time. Then what?
I do agree, however, that he is probably more of a danger now than he ever was--having been raised by the justice system and by now has little or no social or other skills. He will probably be unable to cope with life as an adult on the outside. Still, the fact is--he was 13 when he did it--there is no way they will keep him in there for the rest of his life. They need start thinking about whether rehabilitation is an option and how they will go about doing it. The whole thing is beyond tragic.
mother of 2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2008

Judged:

I watched 48 hours tonight and this is the first time I have heard of this story. It completely broke my heart, poor Derrick. My heart and prayers are with the Robie family. I cant imagine how Eric would ever be able to adapt to everyday life. I agree with LLC on the matter that he was raised by the justice system and is more than likely more messed up than he ever was. I think that he should stay in prison. He committed a horrible crime on an innocent 4 year old boy. It truely makes my heart ache for poor sweet little Derrick. Something is not right w/ Eric, whether it be mental illness, or verbal and physical abuse from both school and home. School kids can really be so cruel to other students and w/ Eric's personality I personaly think something just snapped inside of him, he had to have an incredible amount of anger bottled up inside him. The world we live in today is rough, so I just dont see how he would cope w/ all of it. He could just as easily snap at anytime just as he did the day he killed little Derrick, only now he probably has more anger and trigger points from growing up in prison. This is truely a sad story and again, my heart and prayers are with the Robie family.
mike

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

Judged:

yea well he was 13 when he did it. thats not exactly a little kid and he knew the difference of right and wrong. he should not be released and i personally think he should receive the death penalty. he did way too much damage and doesnt desrve to be released
mandyb

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2008

Judged:

this eric is a total nothing in my book, people who do this kind of crap should have the same thing done to them. there is no excuse for that, i am a mother and if someone did this to my son, well thats all ill say... i hope he never gets out.
susie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2008

Just watched the story, have two grandsons of my own, would be devestated if someone hurt either one of them. I believe there is something mentally wrong with Eric, also at 13 you should know right from wrong. Please keep him in prision or they run the risk of him becoming another Jeffery Dalhmer. Lord knows we don't need another one of him on the streets. Didn't see any emotions in Eric. You need to keep him where he is for his safety and that of others.
Hypocrites

Forest Hills, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

Judged:

Shame on all of you using the Lord's name and at the same time asking for Eric Smith to be killed and/or put away for life. He was a 13 year old child when he committed this horrible act. He's been behind bars for more than half of his life already.

If the justice system cannot rehabilitate a person, then why even have it ? Let's just kill everyone who ever commits a crime, is that the answer ?

Of course we should not forget, but do not use the Lord's name if you are one of those that can never forgive.
South Texas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

How about this New York. Your child(ren) walk less than half a block, Eric Smith kills him in such a manner, that you cannot even see his little face for the last time. All you are reminded of him, is the most grusome carnage with brain matter exposed. Look at your child, and picture this. Freak. Nown you are reminded of little Derrick Robie. Forgive Him? I think Not Lord!
Goldie

Gwynn Oak, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

Judged:

Derrick Robie's mother should also be to blame. How the hell do you let a 4 year old walk ANYWHERE by himself? Eric Smith would have NEVER been able to kill Derrick if Derrick's mother hadn't been so LAZY and gotten off her butt and walked him to school. There is no excuse for letting a FOUR YEAR OLD out of your sight. That is entirely TOO YOUNG and TOO NEGLIGENT! It is absolutely true that what Eric did to that boy was horrific...but the fact STILL REMAINS...that boy would be alive today had that mother did her JOB and watched over her son.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Lindley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lindley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••