Lindenhurst School District has the highest Tax $64,241,701,39

Feb 17, 2009 | Posted by: lindy123

Out of 10 School Districts, Lindenhurst School District beats Deer Park $51.445.767.00, West Babylon $46.823.615.07, North Babylon $27.933.770, Copiague $43.132.521.10. In addition, Lindenhurst School District gets an estimated state aid in the amount of $50.092.970.00 Considering how much it costs to run the Lindenhurst School system, I would assume Lindenhurst ranks on the top as far as achieving national education goals, wouldn't you?
Comments
1 - 20 of 203 Comments Last updated Aug 21, 2012
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
whistleblower

East Hampton, NY

#1 Feb 18, 2009
Time for a change in leadership!
mayormom

Florham Park, NJ

#2 Feb 19, 2009
Very interesting but you name only the less equal school districts. yeah like so what. We are higher than copiage. We also have more students.
I believe Little Lindy is one of the biggest towns in suffolk county. maybe even nassau. but how do we do next to the good towns that have better education grades? like dix hills or smithtown. We dont come near any of them. Lindenhurst needs new blood. get real, they invest more money into these stupid "smart boards" when they need computers and they need new teachers to keep our kids smart!
very sad

New York, NY

#3 Feb 19, 2009
whistleblower wrote:
Time for a change in leadership!
The change is long overdue! Make teachers accountable. They need to split the Highschool just like Sachem did. I could go on and on. My kid is graduating in 3yrs and IMMM OUTA HERE, Cant wait!!!

“Hug Your Kids”

Since: Mar 08

Lindenhurst

#4 Feb 20, 2009
mayormom wrote:
Very interesting but you name only the less equal school districts. yeah like so what. We are higher than copiage. We also have more students.
I believe Little Lindy is one of the biggest towns in suffolk county. maybe even nassau. but how do we do next to the good towns that have better education grades? like dix hills or smithtown. We dont come near any of them. Lindenhurst needs new blood. get real, they invest more money into these stupid "smart boards" when they need computers and they need new teachers to keep our kids smart!
I'm not sure I understand what it is you are trying to say here? First, DixHills and Smithtown are not a part of Babylon, so they are not included in the list and as for the rest of what you are saying?? Do you mean we don't spend enough on our schools? Are you for all we are spending? Are you saying we are wasting our money on stupid smart boards and what does that mean?
Lindy

New York, NY

#5 Feb 20, 2009
The highest taxes and tax payers get the littlest for their money! Enrollment is down are they going to lay off teachers?

No way raises for everyone!....
teach321

Springfield Gardens, NY

#6 Feb 23, 2009
Teachers here are the lowest paid and WE work very hard. Some of us, including myself have more Master degrees than some of you parents. We teach and it's up to you as "the parents" to collaborate with us and continue the learning process at home. Do you follow the handbook? Sign tests and quizzes, follow-up with parent conferences, utilize the eBoard, help your child, get them a tutor, monitor what they wear to school NO! Most would say no! Stop the complaining and spend more time with your children. Learn with them because its quite evident that the only A+ you earned was in COMPLAINING! By the way, SMART boards are very practical and are for hands-on activities!!! I have one and I use it all the time. Kids love them. "Notes on demand"
very sad

United States

#7 Feb 23, 2009
teach321 wrote:
Teachers here are the lowest paid and WE work very hard. Some of us, including myself have more Master degrees than some of you parents. We teach and it's up to you as "the parents" to collaborate with us and continue the learning process at home. Do you follow the handbook? Sign tests and quizzes, follow-up with parent conferences, utilize the eBoard, help your child, get them a tutor, monitor what they wear to school NO! Most would say no! Stop the complaining and spend more time with your children. Learn with them because its quite evident that the only A+ you earned was in COMPLAINING! By the way, SMART boards are very practical and are for hands-on activities!!! I have one and I use it all the time. Kids love them. "Notes on demand"
And your one of lindys finest! I'm sooo tired of hearing about teachers masters. You are right, you should feel ripped off and so does the tax payers a masters to teach, gym, music, and kindergarten. Why you spend time with the kids you teachers are off more then on! I love my child if I didn't have to go to work and pay your very low salary. I would teach them myself and they will at least get an education because Lindenurst Middle and High is the worst!So why don't you shut your mouth and save all your energy to schedule your next vacation. I hope they lay off starting with you! Lets see how many others have a Masters degree in the real world,it's not such a big deal anymore. Oh I sat in and listened to lectures all day, boo hoo! Stop thinking you deserve money because you have a masters. Big deal! Wow, I'm impressed, not! Most teachers in that High school don't give a damn. Move on! Its time to grade a paper you must be exhausted! VOTE NO!!!
mayormom

Florham Park, NJ

#8 Feb 25, 2009
lindy123 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure I understand what it is you are trying to say here? First, DixHills and Smithtown are not a part of Babylon, so they are not included in the list and as for the rest of what you are saying?? Do you mean we don't spend enough on our schools? Are you for all we are spending? Are you saying we are wasting our money on stupid smart boards and what does that mean?
What you didnt get is these smart boards that they put in only some classes is used instead of a black board. yeah its cool., ITS COOL FOR THE TEACHER!!! not much benifit to the teaching of subjects. once you get over the ooh and ahhh's. its a computer board that is fun for the teacher. they are expensive. although we need new technology in our schools. computers are needed for students to use hand on for studies and assignments and there are some great programs to enhance learning. TO BE BETTER TO PUT MONEY INTO GETTING THOSE COMPUTERS THAN THE SMART BOARDS just to please these over paid teacher.

INCASE YOU DIDNT UNDERSTAND... I KNOW DIX HILLS AND SMITHTOWN are not part of babylon. my point is to look at our budget and score's and then look at the better neighborhoods. with all the funding and taxes we are getting and paying...how are we (the schools) doing compared to the top schools!!! THE ANSWER IS NOT GOOD. Does our money go to the students? No they go to teachers salaries, their pentions and benifits and contracts. oUR teachers with their masters, can not even hold a conversation with the parents let alone be able to teach them what they need to know and graduate. I AM SO SICK OF YOU TEACHERS BLAMING PARTENTS. you are not teaching our kids ..you are cheating them.....you give them little cheat sheets just to have them pass a test. its easier than having them read a chapter in a text book and reviewing and testing them PER CHAPTER IN class. LIKE ITS ALWAYS BEEN DONE BEFORE. now you send these kids home with homework that was not explored in class so us parents have to do the real teaching. explain everything to them because the teacher was pulled out of class (almost on a constant basis) and the sub teacher did nothing. this school district just has too many issues to put in one comment.
mayormom

Florham Park, NJ

#9 Feb 25, 2009
teach321 wrote:
you must be joking. dont like your profession...go into something else. oh wait...then you loose your pention, benifits. and lets not forget that then you must work WITHOUT A CONTRACT which would mean if you didnt perform well YOU MIGHT GET FIRED. no other professtion gets what you teachers get. i appoligize that your not making about $90,0000/year...oh wait ...YOU ARE!!!
mac

Deer Park, NY

#10 Feb 26, 2009
yea, i believe its time for new leadership in lindy., start with james mac.
mango2

Springfield Gardens, NY

#11 Feb 26, 2009
Where in the statement above says that the person hates their job? It's obvisious that you are not seeing the big picture. Take off your blinders! What is REALLY embarrassing as that you would like to educate your own child. Do you know what you have to do just to be accredited? You will need an education and a MASTERS. NYS regualations states that all teachers need a MASTERS. Let's talk about your grammar, spelling, punctuation and reading comprehension, need I say more? So they have vacation time. Don't you need a vacation? I am so sick of the parents putting blame on the teachers and President Obama said it too, "In the end, there is no program or policy that can substitute for a parent...turn off the TV, put away the games and read to your child. I speak to you not just as a president, but as a father, when I say that responsibility for out children's education must begin at H-O-M-E. This is not a Democratic issue or a Republican issue. That's an American issue."
teach321

Springfield Gardens, NY

#12 Feb 26, 2009
"now you send these kids home with homework that was not explored in class so us parents have to do the real teaching. explain everything to them because the teacher was pulled out of class (almost on a constant basis) and the sub teacher did nothing. this school district just has too many issues to put in one comment."

ARE YOU COMPLAINING THAT YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO DO SOMETHING AND SPEND TIME WITH YOUR CHILD?
teach321

Springfield Gardens, NY

#13 Feb 26, 2009
very sad wrote:
<quoted text>And your one of lindys finest! I'm sooo tired of hearing about teachers masters. You are right, you should feel ripped off and so does the tax payers a masters to teach, gym, music, and kindergarten. Why you spend time with the kids you teachers are off more then on! I love my child if I didn't have to go to work and pay your very low salary. I would teach them myself and they will at least get an education because Lindenurst Middle and High is the worst!So why don't you shut your mouth and save all your energy to schedule your next vacation. I hope they lay off starting with you! Lets see how many others have a Masters degree in the real world,it's not such a big deal anymore. Oh I sat in and listened to lectures all day, boo hoo! Stop thinking you deserve money because you have a masters. Big deal! Wow, I'm impressed, not! Most teachers in that High school don't give a damn. Move on! Its time to grade a paper you must be exhausted! VOTE NO!!!
I am one of Lindy's finest along all the other fine teachers. I am creative, innovative and enthusiastic about what I teach WHATEVER the price maybe. I am not complaining about our salaries! Teachers chose this profession because they know they can make a difference not for the perks. I like how you told me to "shut my mouth" and "plan my next vacation" (By the way, real mature.) I look forward to another week off so that I can plan my great lessons. You complain but do you know that we are a BLUE RIBBON school? Assessment results are at its all time high and we have innovative programs to help "any" child achieve their goals. No, didn't think so. By the way, "Masters is not a big deal anymore..." NOT? All teachers must have one to teach.
DrF8652

Springfield Gardens, NY

#14 Feb 26, 2009
mayormom wrote:
<quoted text>
What you didnt get is these smart boards that they put in only some classes is used instead of a black board. yeah its cool., ITS COOL FOR THE TEACHER!!! not much benifit to the teaching of subjects. once you get over the ooh and ahhh's. its a computer board that is fun for the teacher. they are expensive. although we need new technology in our schools. computers are needed for students to use hand on for studies and assignments and there are some great programs to enhance learning. TO BE BETTER TO PUT MONEY INTO GETTING THOSE COMPUTERS THAN THE SMART BOARDS just to please these over paid teacher.
INCASE YOU DIDNT UNDERSTAND... I KNOW DIX HILLS AND SMITHTOWN are not part of babylon. my point is to look at our budget and score's and then look at the better neighborhoods. with all the funding and taxes we are getting and paying...how are we (the schools) doing compared to the top schools!!! THE ANSWER IS NOT GOOD. Does our money go to the students? No they go to teachers salaries, their pentions and benifits and contracts. oUR teachers with their masters, can not even hold a conversation with the parents let alone be able to teach them what they need to know and graduate. I AM SO SICK OF YOU TEACHERS BLAMING PARTENTS. you are not teaching our kids ..you are cheating them.....you give them little cheat sheets just to have them pass a test. its easier than having them read a chapter in a text book and reviewing and testing them PER CHAPTER IN class. LIKE ITS ALWAYS BEEN DONE BEFORE. now you send these kids home with homework that was not explored in class so us parents have to do the real teaching. explain everything to them because the teacher was pulled out of class (almost on a constant basis) and the sub teacher did nothing. this school district just has too many issues to put in one comment.
Mayormom! You need to be educated on where your tax dollars go because you have it alllllll wrong. I live and teach here. Your school tax goes towards busing, programs, morning breakfast, computers and updated technology, sports, coaches equipment, social worker, psychologist, registered nurse, building renovations, classroom materials, books, library and much more besides our salaries.
lindy123

Stamford, CT

#15 Feb 26, 2009
"Do you know what you have to do just to be accredited? You will need an education and a MASTERS. NYS regulations states that all teachers need a MASTERS."
Just as a sidebar, you do not need a Masters Degree to Home school your child. Just Food For Thought.
lindy123

Stamford, CT

#16 Feb 26, 2009
DrF8652 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mayormom! You need to be educated on where your tax dollars go because you have it alllllll wrong. I live and teach here. Your school tax goes towards busing, programs, morning breakfast, computers and updated technology, sports, coaches equipment, social worker, psychologist, registered nurse, building renovations, classroom materials, books, library and much more besides our salaries.
What percentage of the School Budget goes towards Salaries, Health insurance and benefits?
mayormom

Florham Park, NJ

#17 Feb 26, 2009
you may think i am wrong and i am fine with that. My education is not in a teaching degree but you really should not completely knock out what i am trying to say. I spend lots of time with my children (thank you very much)you missed the point. i was really trying to get your heads up and look around. not this town or that town. IT IS A FACT that our school technics are failing across the board. children in foreign countries are doing far better than us. therefore it really takes a number of people to say THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK. we give money, the budget gets passed. its a fact that money is not the answer. this system is old and needs to be totally revamped. I am sorry you all take this personally and just want to jump on me and say "hey, home school your kid and see where that gets ya". how mature is that. We need a generation prepared to succeed in this world and be competitive. that is also what Obama was trying to say. As parents AND TEACHERS you should be demanding the need for change. I do believe in year round schooling. i believe teachers are doing WHAT THEY ARE TOLD TO TEACH. isnt it ok for us to say that it is not enough. we need for music (which i believe helps learning) to begin early. math concepts should be taught earlier. get a clue. my kids do great in school but i wish i was blown away at what they could be doing.
orchestrarlz

Florham Park, NJ

#18 Feb 26, 2009
first of all i can completly tell the fact you are all teacher despite the fact if you wrote so or not. the education in the schooling has gone down dramaticly. there are over crowded classrooms, even though that the buget keeps passing there still "isnt enough money" to open a new classroom! i dont think tax payer money should go to your stupid breakfast! i dont care if they eat that morning or not! tell them to pick something up at 711 on the way to school or something then if you want. thats not what the tax payers are paying for. were paying for an education, salery's ect. i remember when i was in elementry school in the third grade we had book reports every two weeks and it didnt matter what it was on..just to get it done. the fact there are over crouded classrooms,(most of them being ESL which doesnt help AT ALL) they dont get nearly half as done as they should. so maybe the state tests has gone up. have you seen the diffrence in them. the state has no standards, and that is what the teachers are told to teach. thats all the school cares about. doing good on the state exams, but it doesnt get you prepared for college and the dropping standards only make it worse. this comes from some one who knows the school system very well and knows probably more then half the teachers do.
orchestrarlz

Florham Park, NJ

#19 Feb 26, 2009
teach321 wrote:
"now you send these kids home with homework that was not explored in class so us parents have to do the real teaching. explain everything to them because the teacher was pulled out of class (almost on a constant basis) and the sub teacher did nothing. this school district just has too many issues to put in one comment."
ARE YOU COMPLAINING THAT YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO DO SOMETHING AND SPEND TIME WITH YOUR CHILD?
are you mental? seriously! uhm no its not that we have to spend time with our child. its that we are infuriated that we would come home and the child didnt learn that day...so then what did they do in school that day..i no how it is the teacher blames the parent and the parent blames the teacher. it gets nowhere. but if the teacher covered what they were supposed to the parent would pull up there end and enforce it at home. i have my 3rd grade brother reading 7 times a week and we always go over the homework together. but if the child doesnt no the homework how were we supposed to help..you said it yourself. your the one with the masters. its not our job to teach it..its to reinforce it.and what child wants to listen to there mom for an hour explaining something...its common sence that it doesnt work. i think mayormom has her points and your the ones that need to think about it. i plan to be a teacher myself so dont pull that one on me either on how i dont no. i evaluate the teachers reactions and the students in the classroom. you really need your thoughts put in order. thank you!
DrF8652

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Feb 26, 2009
"i dont think tax payer money should go to your stupid breakfast! i dont care if they eat that morning or not! tell them to pick something up at 711 on the way to school or something then if you want. thats not what the tax payers are paying for."

How rude are you? And you want to be a teacher? So now you are telling me and others that you could care less about the welfare and health of these children. The children get a free "state - mandated" breakfast because they are less fortunate than others. At least they are having something healty and attend school. You have no manners and a just a bit immature. WOW. 711, are you kidding? I really hope you don't get a job anytime soon until you grow up! And please check your spelling and grammar. I would hate to have my child in your class. And do us a favor, for the sake of the parents and the teachers, don't apply for a job as a teacher- you are a clueless piece of work.

And to the other person who wrote that there are no standards, guess again! Go to www.nysed and look for yourself.

Lastly, you and everyone else is right about one thing: The system doesn't work and it hasn't for a long time and it's not the school's fault, nor the teachers and parents. It's the education department across the USA. Bush, unfortunately, implemented programs that were not successful and not one thing has been done to clean up the mess. I am optimistic as a core teacher (English, Math, etc.) that Obama will keep his word and fix things quickly. If not, we may end up equal to a 3rd World Country.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lindenhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 20 hr Bruser 7,874
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri Lol 16,781
Iconic Entenmann's factory set to shut down in NY Fri Scott 2
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Thu Joe 1,337
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Aug 27 Vote Zornow 6,408
Women's Fund of LI to Honor Four Long Island Women Aug 27 WFLI 1
Review: Lisa's K9 Rescue Aug 25 lisas k9 rescue f... 1
•••

Lindenhurst News Video

•••
•••

Lindenhurst Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lindenhurst People Search