Gay Bashing: Would You Try to Stop It?

Mar 24, 2009 | Posted by: Rick in Kansas | Full story: abcnews.go.com

With the election of the first African-American president, the nation ushered in a new era of tolerance and acceptance. The visible shift in American ideology brought forth bright expectations for people across the spectrum. But will all communities benefit from this change? With sexual orientation hate crimes consistently on the rise in the past decade, we wondered.

(ABC News)Watch the story on "What Would You Do?" tonight at 10 ET.

To test Americans' increasing open-mindedness, we staged a verbal gay-bashing scenario at a local sports bar in Linden, N.J. We hired actor Vince August to play a homophobic patron. Dusty St. Amand and Dominic Benevento, a gay couple in real life, played the targets of his slurs. Two additional actors, Traci Hovel and Brad Lee Wind, played a heterosexual couple at the opposite end of the bar.

Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated Jan 17, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

I would try to stop it. I'm not a supporter of "gay rights", but everyone is entitled to common respect and civil rights.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Judged:

u nut job wrote:
NO!!!!
Sadly, that is because you would be the one doing the bashing in the first place. Nothing to be proud of...

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

I was the victim of a gay-bashing and fortunately, people saw what was happening and rescued me. I had just parked my truck in a small, 6 store strip mall, which is where Pal Joey's, a gay bar, was located. I didn't get 3 feet from my truck when I was attacked by 2 guys.

I had 3 broken ribs, but it could have been wors if I had not been rescued.

A few years later, at Pal Joey's, a federal agent who patronized the bar was chased and murdered by a gay-basher.

This basher was married with kids. He is now serving 25 years to life in prison.
Cockroach_Sleepe r

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Judged:

yes, but it would piss me off. pissed because I live in a cockroach country where stopping a gay-bashing cockroach with deadly force is necessary.

buy a gun and protect yourself and your family. the cockroaches hate you and will kill when they have the chance.

cockroach = christian
christian = cockroach
Rose

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Yep.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Cockroach_Sleeper wrote:
yes, but it would piss me off. pissed because I live in a cockroach country where stopping a gay-bashing cockroach with deadly force is necessary.
buy a gun and protect yourself and your family. the cockroaches hate you and will kill when they have the chance.
cockroach = christian
christian = cockroach
What is keeping you in Omaha? Do you have family there that you are caring for? I was forced out of the US but if you are not happy there are other alternatives. However, to be frank, these alternatives are more accessible if you are college educated and have marketable skills. I happen to be in Canada but it is not the only country looking for skilled people right now.

Since: Jul 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Cockroach_Sleeper wrote:
cockroach = christian
christian = cockroach
I'm a Christian. Your homosexuality doesn't give me heartburn. All bashing is bad bashing.
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Interesting how these so-called "bashers" NEVER go after some of the GYM BUILT Gay men I know....these guys would KICK thier asses...they go after what they percieve as to be the "weaker gays"....start arming yourselves guys!
Rose

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
I was the victim of a gay-bashing and fortunately, people saw what was happening and rescued me. I had just parked my truck in a small, 6 store strip mall, which is where Pal Joey's, a gay bar, was located. I didn't get 3 feet from my truck when I was attacked by 2 guys.
I had 3 broken ribs, but it could have been wors if I had not been rescued.
A few years later, at Pal Joey's, a federal agent who patronized the bar was chased and murdered by a gay-basher.
This basher was married with kids. He is now serving 25 years to life in prison.
Hope he never sees the outside world again.

Since: Nov 08

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Been there, done that, and would again! Any kind of bashing is bad!
MandM

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Look, people bash people. People kill people. People do some pretty vile things to other people. Whether you're in the homosexual lifestyle or not, this is the core of mankinds nature and shows that we are not innately good people.

“Greetings!”

Since: Dec 06

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

i am DEFINATLY going to watch and record this show! Perhaps if MORE people saw this they'd get an understanding of what it's like to be verbally and oftentimes physically abused because of WHO YOU ARE.

Oh, and to those that belive being gay is a CHOICE? Watch this show and think againg why ANYONE would "choose" to live a life where this can (and DOES) happen!

Since: Jul 07

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

MandM wrote:
Look, people bash people. People kill people. People do some pretty vile things to other people. Whether you're in the homosexual lifestyle or not, this is the core of mankinds nature and shows that we are not innately good people.
So your answer is to ignore all bad behaviour. Interesting...but not really surprising.
MandM

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Judged:

devons wrote:
<quoted text>
So your answer is to ignore all bad behaviour. Interesting...but not really surprising.
I was just pointing out the origin of the behaviour and that we all have the potential to act this way without the Spirit of God dwelling inside of us.

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

MandM wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just pointing out the origin of the behaviour and that we all have the potential to act this way without the Spirit of God dwelling inside of us.
That's nice but not within the subject of the board. Your response was a bit of a DUH.

Actually I know atheists that I like better then you and would jump right in and help others. You? You are to discriminating to feel safe with.

Since: Nov 08

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

LOL yeah right. IF and that is a huge IF you were a leader you would not hide your identity. Unless you lead cockroaches.
u nut job wrote:
<quoted text> That is because i am a leader. Unlike you.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

I'll set the DVR.
MandM

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

devons wrote:
<quoted text>
That's nice but not within the subject of the board. Your response was a bit of a DUH.
Actually I know atheists that I like better then you and would jump right in and help others. You? You are to discriminating to feel safe with.
Sorry that you don't like me over your atheist friends, but I think that jumping in would give me the opportunity to share the Gospel with them. I would not do it to advocate their lifestyle, but to share God's message of redemption to lost souls.

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

MandM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry that you don't like me over your atheist friends, but I think that jumping in would give me the opportunity to share the Gospel with them. I would not do it to advocate their lifestyle, but to share God's message of redemption to lost souls.
ROFL

You should probably read the article first before commenting.

Plus you just proved my point. Thanks.

I know you are an ass just pretending to get attention. Does it ever bother you that you are helping to destroy religion in this country?
MandM

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

devons wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFL
You should probably read the article first before commenting.
Plus you just proved my point. Thanks.
I know you are an ass just pretending to get attention. Does it ever bother you that you are helping to destroy religion in this country?
Resorting to name-calling again, are we? Ok. I'll take the higher road on this one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Linden Discussions

Search the Linden Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Mimi- Hair Braiding Mon Vladimir aka BWSHATTANYC 1
Any Bi/Gay Teens In North Nj? (Feb '13) Jul 27 lol wut 262
Attention Neighbors on East Grant Avenue 500 bl... Jul 19 flipityflop 1
Remembering the Kenilworth Inn Jul 19 flipityflop 1
Review: Premium Roofing (Jul '13) Jul 16 Pra 2
Effective online dating guide for men Jul 9 Michaeala 2
mountain lion or bobcat in clark Jul 4 George 1
•••
•••