IS The Fenton Freedom Center a dangerous cult?

Created by KOSHARE on Nov 9, 2007

261 votes

Click on an option to vote

YES

PROBABLY

MOST Likely

IT Would seem so

NO Question about it

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
beckster

United States

#1 Nov 10, 2007
Is there not an open voice for NO...
A little one sided don't you think?
koshare

Fenton, MI

#2 Nov 12, 2007
beckster wrote:
Is there not an open voice for NO...
A little one sided don't you think?
DON'T Use the word "think" when discussing the Fenton Freedom Center, they discourage thinking.
neighbor

Escanaba, MI

#3 Nov 17, 2007
Wow, koshare, that's harsh. Your survey is biased. You really aren't attempting gain info. Perhaps that is why you haven't received much input.
redm

Columbus, OH

#4 Mar 13, 2008
Someone obviously has no clue what a 'cult' really is, or they wouldn't have created this poll.
friend of a member

United States

#5 Mar 26, 2008
From what I can tell,(visited a few times, and am close friends with a dedicated member), there's a lot of 'recruiting' going on, if you will not mind the use of that word. It's not blatant, but it's definately there. They don't come right out and say it, but there's heavy promotional tools,(flyers, invitations, tickets, etc.) I don't particularly care for that style of evangelism. To me, Christ should attract people, not lure people...this means they come becasue they want to, not because a friend won't stop inviting them. It's totally different energy.

The church is great for beginner Christians and families, but not fulfilling for a deeper student of God's word.

Is it a cult? Not really. There are some cultish tendancies, such as the very subtle nuances of guilt and fear attached to memebers not coming to all the meetings. Just be careful of that.

Then again, why have to be careful? Just don't go. Start a study group. Learn God's word- that's what counts the most....doesn't matter what 'building' you go to.

Joy and Peace!
cilero

AOL

#6 Apr 23, 2008
If your going to have a poll.....then at least put a fair vote in for the other side....and that would be ABSOLUTELY NOT !! What in the world would be cult-ish if you will, about unabandonly worshiping our Lord. And they are not recruiting people they are saving souls....There is a huge difference in that.
Stef

Flushing, MI

#7 Apr 24, 2008
I have attended the Freedom Center for close to a year (I was a member of another church for 17 years before that) and I have never felt guilt or fear about not going to all of the "meetings". I have been encouraged to attend whenever possible, but if I'm not there, I usually hear, "Hey, we missed you!" (Hmmm, yeah that sounds like subtle guilt and fear.:) I usually leave the services with a new thought or idea or two that I consider for the rest of the week. It always brings me closer to understanding the heart of God and what He desires for me. No, it IS NOT a cult, it is a church with a pastoral staff that just wants to reveal the love of God!!
servant

Cedar Rapids, IA

#8 May 16, 2008
NO its not a cult, i serve there and love it, my life has been totally changed by God thru helping and developing relationships with people there. God has used people ane helped me by the words that have been given to the pastors and other people. it is just like any other hcurch except we have joy and love and openly share it, and people not always can accept that love. they are scared and reject it out of that fear of being hurt. and yes we do use flyers and invitations but that is just to promote the events we do and when you go to the events we hope that you experience God and hope that Jesus shows you something new. so no its not a cult and this is wrong for someone to even consider that. if we are a "cult" then what are all the other churches in the area?
Dani

Linden, MI

#9 May 25, 2008
I have attended The Freedom Center many times. I belive that your poll isn't quite fair. I would say "ABSOLUTLY NOT" to the question at hand. I have never been cast out and or talked to about missing any meeting. As some others have said I usually gen a "We missed you, glad to see you here again" Besides that if it was a "Cult" as you put it I wouldn't have my son involved there either. Maybe you should stop and think before posting things like this. If you are worshiping GOD it's not considered a cult. Maybe you should find another church that best suits your needs.
friend of a member

United States

#10 Jul 14, 2008
cilero wrote:
If your going to have a poll.....then at least put a fair vote in for the other side....and that would be ABSOLUTELY NOT !! What in the world would be cult-ish if you will, about unabandonly worshiping our Lord. And they are not recruiting people they are saving souls....There is a huge difference in that.
"they" are saving souls?
Christ is the one who saves.
And in this day and age, where false prophets shall rise...'worshipping with abandon' pales in importance to having on our spiritual armor on and ready. Above all, we should be learning God's word. Save the orgasmic, emotionally-charged, delusional, stupor-fying worship for when we have "heaven on earth"---when there are no more wolves in sheeps clothing.
current member

Lapeer, MI

#11 Jul 16, 2008
Let me say that I've been attending there for the last few years. I was starting to feel a sense of frustration, however - and I am not sure why, so I've backed off.

I haven't gone much this summer, and to my dismay, not one person outside of one close friend has even called to see how I am doing/where I've been, if I am ok, nothing. Just slipped right through the cracks. Kind of like high-school when you dont fit into a clique.

Also, since I've not been going, my walk with God has actually strengthened. Now I am not claiming that my NOT going has caused this - it is just a fact. My absence forced me to do some studying of God's Word on my own and it has been amazing. There was a time when I would become very defensive about this topic of 'cult', but now - I just don't know.

I am more interested in REAL LIFE. You know - being a blessing EVERYWHERE YOU GO, helping others, being kind, doing whats right, loving God, giving Him all the glory...

I agree with 'friend of a member' who said "And in this day and age, where false prophets shall rise...'worshipping with abandon' pales in importance to having on our spiritual armor on and ready. Above all, we should be learning God's word. Save the orgasmic, emotionally-charged, delusional, stupor-fying worship for when we have "heaven on earth"---when there are no more wolves in sheeps clothing."

In addition, it is my belief that church should happen wherever we Christians are...work, the home, school, the grocery store...

The bible says to go into all the world, it doesn't say "stay together and sing and twirl in the church". Maybe we should just go out into the world and be the christians we say we are...Humility, not pride, is the key.
Trying to locate an obit

Sherman, TX

#12 Sep 4, 2008
Can anyone help me out here please. Trying to locate an obit from 06-10-1998. It would be for a Wilfred Prissel. Information seeking would be military history if listed.
Any help would be appreciated:

DJansen@wildblue.net
Faithful Servant

Fenton, MI

#13 Sep 11, 2008
I have attended the Freedom Center for just over two years now and it is definitely not a cult. I think like any church or other large organization there are flaws. Don't you think that anything orchastrated by humans beings will have that? People aren't perfect and you can't expect church, which is full of those imperfect people to be either. They invite people to come not so that they can be called a "member" but so that they can feel loved and come to a place where they can get to know God and how much He loves them.

The majority of the people at The Freedom Center have a genuine love for people and first and foremost, for God.

To the whole, "And in this day and age, where false prophets shall rise...'worshipping with abandon'...", I think thats absolutely rediculous. God created us with a full range of emotions to experience Him in all facets. He calls us to worship Him with our whole heart...hearts are not always logical but they are emotional. There's nothing wrong with feeling emotional in the presence of God. I would venture to say that if you don't then maybe you're not truly experiencing Him and His love to the fullest. In the Psalms it talks about dancing before the Lord, clapping our hands, worshiping outwardly what we are feeling inwardly. Let's stop judging others and start loving all.

The Freedom Center isn't for everyone but it is open to everyone. If you feel that God has a place for you that is nothing like The Freedom Center, by all means go there. As long as you are in line with the Word of God that's all that matters.

Let's stop all these petty discussions and start living it out. God is love and so should His children be. Let's just put it into action and live a life of love everyday and everywhere we go. When we come together let's bring praise to the Almighty God and when it's not Sunday we must live out what we claim to believe. Until the day we see it, "on earth as it is in heaven".
ex-member

Lapeer, MI

#14 Nov 12, 2008
I am not judging anyone. I am simply saying simply that when I stopped going after more than two years, NO one seemed to notice or to care. I know what I felt, and what I felt was an overwhelming surety that something was JUST NOT RIGHT there. The reality is that you can't live in a 'bubble'. You have to live IN the world, but that doesn't mean you have to be OF the world.
Lover of Jesus

Fenton, MI

#15 Dec 2, 2008
A cult does not offer that the answer to all of your needs is found in the Word of God, and in a relationship with the Creator of the Universe. The Freedom Center teaches this. A cult is led by people looking for other people to worship them. There is NO (zero, zilch, nada) suggestion that any person should be worshipped except Jesus Christ, Who the Freedom Center teaches IS GOD. There is absolutely no pressure to attend any "meetings", as "friend of a member" says. There is no pressure whatsoever. Salvation through Jesus Christ is what the Freedom Center offers, to all who are seeking truth. Period. Jesus says that all the commandments can be summed up in these 2 new commandments, "Love the Lord your God, and Love your neighbor." That is what the Freedom Center is teaching. So if you want to read a bunch of other garbage into what is being taught there, you may want to just check your own baggage. That's where it's coming from. Personally, I don't know why anyone who is looking for the truth, and wants to learn more about God wouldn't LOVE the teachings I've learned at the Freedom Center. But I know that God is the One who should direct you to where you should be worshipping corporately,(And the Word of God does say we should be worshipping corporately) then you should seek HIS counsel as to where you should do this.
The Freedom Center

Petoskey, MI

#16 Dec 5, 2008
I have only been going to The Freedom Center for about a year and I am a very cautious person when it comes to religion, I love the Freedom Center and have attended at least 5 other churches in Genesee county to try to find somewhere where I feel comfortable. I don't like boring church services and Pastor Jim at The Freedom Center is not boring, he really talks about God in 21st century terms. They do not pressure you to do anything accept to be the Salt of God and show people how we should act as Christians, loving our neighbors and anyone that we come in contact with no matter how they treat us, acting as like Jesus would have towards anyone regardless of how they treat us or what they say to us. You have got to be kidding me about the cult, Maybe you should go there and see the wonderful things they teach, compassion towards everyone and sharing the word of God to the community. Isn't that what God intended for us to do???? Please don't discourage anyone from this place, they treat everyone the same, from a homeless drug addict to a successful business person. Anyone who wants to feel love, strength and compassion from a church should try it for themselves. I promise you will love it as I do, and child care for all..This is a wonderful church that truely cares for our families and communities future in Heaven..I am truely sad about this blog... You have got to be kidding me... Not the truth at all.. Love to all ,Marla
A LIFETIME FENTON LOCAL

Swartz Creek, MI

#17 Jan 5, 2009
I was 14 years old and was at a youth groop and
I was pulled from the groop with other people who were not attending every week and the leaders went CRAZY ON US and yelled and screamed at us and told us we were going straight to hell and were a lost cause and a waste of time trying to
break us down in a way.When the three men
who were holding us against are will and would
not let us leave I had to push one man out of my
way to get out of the room I WAS SCARED and never
went back there again!!!!!!!!!!
Come to find out later one of the men was sexualy
molesting one of my female friends by gitting her
drunk and taking advantage of her he is now in jail. Who knows how long before he gets back into that church
THIS IS ALL TRUE AND I WOULD NOT LIE ABOUT IT MAYBE BEFORE YOU JUST DROP YOUR KIDS OFF AT A SO CALLED SAFE PLACE YOU SHOULD THINK TWICE OR JUST TALK TO YOUR KIDS ABOUT THERE TIME AT YOUTH GROOP
stan waterford

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 Feb 28, 2009
probably not. The poster is biassed. probably a cult leader himself. The title of antichrist is a light one in this instance. With no listing for, No in his colume. No far and balance here.
Chris Berkley

Lansing, MI

#19 Mar 1, 2009
Most churches and religions are cults... this on sounds like no exception.
Sam

United States

#20 Mar 4, 2009
I have attended the center for about 6 months. I do not think you can consider the center a cult...they are open to anyone. They encourage people to go and try other churches if the center isn't what they are looking for. The only complaint I have is sometimes there is too much singing and not enough scripture...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Linden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone know GAIL ROSSE?! Nov 26 Roger 1
Family ties cancer to Berlin & Farro (Jan '08) Sep '14 reid1416 63
dogging locations Sep '14 gainer72 1
Shannon Greene Sep '14 learnedthehardway 1
Review: Animal ARK Pet Grooming Aug '14 Charles Mize 1
Backyard breakfast: Davison moving forward to a... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Mrs Batch 1
Mike Wood (Aug '12) Nov '13 notshavin 2
Linden Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Linden People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Linden News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Linden

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:27 pm PST