Illegal Immigration
llilly

United States

#1 May 13, 2006
I'm from a neighboring state and visit Linden, IN often. Linden reminds me of what my small town was like 15 years ago before the huge influx of migrant workers that have now settled in the area. I went to school in my hometown schools and now I am a teacher there.

The primarily illegal immigrants brought with them families with generations of gang involvement. Our schools are now places where violent crime is frequent. Families that do not speak English make it difficult for us to help their children do well in school. The Mexican flag, shirts that say Mexican Power, Brown Power, etc. are present regularly. We are called racist if we suggest that is not appropriate attire for school.

There is not the value at home for education that used to be present in our community and as early as 5th grade children are being trained to be hoodlums, thugs and to admire people that act that way. Bringing this to the attention of the families often yields the response "What is wrong with gang membership? His father is in a gang." It is not true of all hispanic families, but the rest fear the gang families and will not stand up to them. I spend most of my time with discipline rather than curriculum in the classroom, and am often called upon to break up bloody fights in the hall that send children to the hospital. This is in 7th grade.

I see children with as many as 30 nationalities. Immigrants from many European countries, the Philippines, Korea, India and other countries besides Mexico make it a point to learn the language and learn it quickly. They push their children to do well in school and these children are often well behaved and good students, so it isn't immigration, per se that is the problem. They aspire to live the American Dream and are willing to put in the hard work at school to get a good education. They value what they get rather than take it for granted as some entitlement. They have a respect for the rules rather than flagrant flaunting of rules and laws of the country.

Does anyone see an answer to this growing problem? People in my profession are tired of being in these violent environments and having to choose between managing the behavior of kids that won't let you ignore them and giving the good kids an education that is fun and teaches them to love learning and be good citizens.

People of Linden and rural Indiana -- value and enjoy what you have now.
GrowUpandGetOver It

Sun Prairie, WI

#2 May 18, 2006
Americans Unite!! A suggestion has been made by myself and others:
The Revolution is to begin!! Enough is Enough, our government is becoming as corrupt, if not more than most others in the world!! We, the AMERICAN peoples must take it back!!! This is the first of many notices; more information will come to follow as things progress. Our first step is to show our power and unity!! We the people are begining to organize our own marches..in protest of our government for turning it's head away from it's own people for personal, political, and financial gains. We begin on JULY 5th, 2006. Any person or persons serious about joing our force send an email to "midnightrider672001@yaho o.com" ; let us (some 150 MILLION strong) TRULY SHUT DOWN THE COUNTRY. Don't go to work!! Don't travel!! Don't Shop...Stey home and write/phone your congresmen, senators, governors..etc!!!
Nellie of the North

United States

#3 May 20, 2006
How many employers of legal immigrants and American citizens would give their workers the day off work to attend a rally?
GrowUpandGetOver It

Sun Prairie, WI

#4 May 20, 2006
Nellie of the North wrote:
How many employers of legal immigrants and American citizens would give their workers the day off work to attend a rally?
I would say that they would have to due to the fact that when they let the illigals (and the legals who supported them) off they set a precedent. Otherwise we would have legal recourse for discrimination.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Linden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Insanity defense planned for Crawfordsville mom... Sep '17 Willy 1
Roof Masters Plus vs Town of New Richmond Aug '17 Roof Masters Plus 1
Rental (Oct '16) Oct '16 Johnny 1
Cats Being Taken Desperate Please Help Us (Oct '15) Oct '15 Findakitty 1
News Newest Tippecanoe Co. crop: tilapia (Aug '07) Aug '15 Fish food 10
The be st website in the world!? (Sep '13) Sep '13 Francisco Hardsock 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Oct '10 joebryant 8

Linden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Linden Mortgages