Tyler is a dump
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just Passin Through

Tyler, TX

#1 Sep 16, 2012
I'm just here on an extended business stay, from the Dallas area. I must say that for a city with so many rich residents, Tyler is a dump. Tatoo parlors everwhere. Nothin' but convenience store/gas stations and Brookshires.(Why are they the only grocery stores here?) Trashy looking people as far as the eye can see. I was even driving around north of downtown and saw what I thought were probably hookers, pimps and/or drug dealers hanging out.

A little better on the south end with some new development. What gives?
lolz

Tyler, TX

#2 Sep 17, 2012
Yeah, south Tyler is much better. Check it out.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#3 Sep 18, 2012
Dont let the door hit ya on the way out!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
JKE

Tyler, TX

#4 Sep 18, 2012
I agree, I just moved here a few months ago and this town sucks. Everybody that is from here acts like Tyler has everything, is the best city there is and that there is so much to do, lol. And having Brookshire's as the only damn grocery is strange. This city or town, lacks so many things it makes me sick, but I have heard it is run by old, religious people who fear change. SO it will probably always be like this.
Sparky

Tyler, TX

#5 Sep 20, 2012
NomadNerd wrote:
Dont let the door hit ya on the way out!!
There's the old civic pride--If people don't like what they see here, just dismiss them as crackpots and tell them that Highway 69 runs both ways.

For the last poster, take heart. The developers are coming. Every generation of the old Tyler rich crowd gets less and less wealthy because their children are too lazy to get money the old fashoned way by earning it. Less money = less power. So, their little piss-ant businesses and hundreds of acres of property will be bought and bulldozed within the next couple of decades, if not sooner. Of course the place will look more like Frisco, TX than Tyler, but maybe that's not so bad compared to what you have now.
Keepin it Real

Tyler, TX

#6 Sep 20, 2012
Where are these Hookers?.....no reason
JKE

Tyler, TX

#7 Sep 29, 2012
Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>
There's the old civic pride--If people don't like what they see here, just dismiss them as crackpots and tell them that Highway 69 runs both ways.
For the last poster, take heart. The developers are coming. Every generation of the old Tyler rich crowd gets less and less wealthy because their children are too lazy to get money the old fashoned way by earning it. Less money = less power. So, their little piss-ant businesses and hundreds of acres of property will be bought and bulldozed within the next couple of decades, if not sooner. Of course the place will look more like Frisco, TX than Tyler, but maybe that's not so bad compared to what you have now.
Well, regardless of all that, this little town still sucks. I really just wish that H-E-B, Whole Foods, Kroger, just something other than lame ass Brookshire's would be allowed to be here. I have never seen a town where one grocery company had such a monopoly on the shopping choices. And that Fresh store is a joke, they think they are so high class and fancy, yet it is still Brookshire's, lol!! And another thing, this is the largest town I have ever been in that does not sell alcohol, what a joke! The idiots who run this town need to get the stick out of their butt and realize that it is not 1990, because everyone that has visited me here all say that it seems this town is 20 years behind the rest of the world, and I definitely agree with that.
UNIONs in Dallas

Whitehouse, TX

#8 Nov 29, 2012
People in Tyler "Rich" Pleases do not make me laugh...These people have no idea what "rich" is. When your kids are driving Lams and Bentlys to school then we"ll talk "rich." Tyler is just full of people who are small fish in a smaller pond.
Sparky

Tyler, TX

#9 Nov 30, 2012
For a town of this size, there are quite a few "rich" people. They money is mostly from oil and gas profits or from extensive property holdings dating back to before the Civil War. So, much of the wealth has not been gained from hard work or enterpreneurial risk. Therefore the younger members of some of these families are too lazy to wipe themselves but feel entitled to all of the trappings of nobility. I consider billionnaires to be "rich," even if you don't. No, we don't have any H.Ross Perot types here. And rich people don't usually drive around in Bentley's anyway. You see a few "Lams" but those are usually owned by some doctor or lawyer going through some kind of mid-life crisis. The rich families here run the local political machine and even some of the churches.

I don't understand how the Brookshires have successfully kept the competition out, but they have. Word has it that they buy up suitable properties that would be used by other grocery stores and sit on them, unless a non-competing business wants to lease them.
UNIONs in Dallas

Whitehouse, TX

#10 Nov 30, 2012
Visit Highland Park....Kids drive cars that cost more than you or I will make in five years.....Bentleys are a dime a dozen and lams are like Car Vetts old news....Tyler has no idea what real money is......I grew up here and have to move back to care for a parent and what a depressing eye opener. Tyler is so damn ignorant about how the rest of the world turns...And then they vote.
Sparky

Tyler, TX

#11 Dec 1, 2012
Yup. It' easy to vote here. Many of the races only have one candidate, so you can't make a mistake and vote for the wrong person.

I'm sick of seeing the same inept and corrupt people in office, term after term.

Too bad there can't be an "oppose" vote when only one candidate runs. If a majority of voters "oppose" the candidate, then a runoff-type election should be held in which we should be allowed to put forward write-in candidates. The one party system here gives too much power to a few people who run the political machine. That's one of the reasons this place is so sorry. A few people "own" this town and run it the way they want to.

I grew up in a suburb that worked kind of like this town. There, the city council denied zoning variances to new businesses to protect the lame-azz piss-ant businessmen who ran the place. So, they got left behind by neighboring communities that promoted real economic growth and were friendly to new businesses. Finally, a bunch of big developers came in and bought up new land. The city council couldn't resist getting their hands on the tax revenue from businesses that were actually successful, so the developers took over. Now the "old guard" there is just a laughable throw-back to the bad ol' days. Maybe that will happen here. Problem is, much of the wealth here is not from people rolling up their sleeves and actually making businesses work. It is inherited oil/gas money. It's beneficiaries don't have to care whether businesses here are successful, because their money stream will keep coming in anyway.

I'd be afraid, as an outsider, to try to come here and start a business. Maybe that's why we have such limited choices in retailers and such.
Reality Check

Paris, TX

#12 Dec 1, 2012
In the 70's & 80's, people from Tyler looked down their noses at the rest of us East Texans. I hadn't spent much time there, but like you I imagined a much different place than what it is. I married into a middle class family and they do live in a beautiful neighborhood, but there's no real style or substance to the town as far as I can tell. My hometown, considered low life by Tyler folks, has a beautiful downtown plaza with a gorgeous fountain in the middle. We have lovely renovated homes from the early 1900's and gorgeous trees, lawns and homes. When I was a kid, we had Brookshire's and it was THE best store. It was always sparkling clean like you see on tv from the 50's era. I think this generation of the Brookshire's family simply doesn't care. Tyler needs new leaders. We're seeing that here.... 20-something's returning home and forming committees to make their hometown the best it can be. If we could get race relations under control, this would be an awesome town!(Btw, it's Paris, and yes, I know it has some ugly sites as well)
Unionized in Dallas

Whitehouse, TX

#13 Dec 2, 2012
Tyler has two problems. One being the damn church leaders. These people are wolves in sheep clothing. Churches in Tyler are nothing about the word of God its all about making that money and if you expect the Lords blessings then you have to give us your money. The second in the cities leadership. They cater to a political ideology that only exist in the churches which is preached from the pul pit. Between the two Tyler has suffered greatly and is steadily falling. Folks are beginning to wake up and question things. Tyler finally went wet and if regulated properly being wet should actually enhance the city. But once the church leadership gets involved all bets are off. In order for Tyler to grow and prosper the old republican leadership has to go. Until then Tyler will remain mired in low wage jobs and high prices......
Reality Check

Paris, TX

#14 Dec 2, 2012
That's really sad. It's a loss of a potentially beautiful town. I hope somehow you can get your reality to equal your reputation.
Rom122

Longview, TX

#15 Feb 10, 2013
So let me get this staight, this town stinks because of a grocery store, certain cars NOT being driven, a general disdain for religion, a general disdain for Republicans, a general disdain for "old religious rich people", and lack alcohol sales? None of these things are the reason Tyler is need of help. Tyler is suffering just like many cities in the US are. The true contributing factors to the sickness of urban decay is growing poverty, less resources and money to deal with them,failing educational systems, and no moral compass. Dealing with the latter two first we will find that the other two symptoms will become easier to treat.
Also, apathy is a horrible mental cancer that has people complaining about trivial things and making judgements due to selfish and personal preference, after which nothing is actually done.
If you actually care about the future of Tyler ask yourself: Would having different grocery stores, facier cars, booze, no churches, and no republicans really "save" this town? If you answer "yes", then our definition of what makes a great city are vastly different.
Sparky

Tyler, TX

#16 Feb 12, 2013
None of that would "save" this town. Breaking the Brookshires monopoly might bring in competition and encourage better selection and quality to the market. And no, I don't think Brookshires' own "upscale" (overpriced) "Fresh" is an alternative to their dirty, understocked regular grocery stores.

The idea that the number of "nice cars" on the road is a measure of a community's economic health did not come from me. It's idiotic.

The Republican Party is not the problem. The Smith County Republican political machine is half of the problem. The other half is the level of apathy and ignorance in the voting population. We keep voting the same inept, corrupt, self-serving politicians into office term after term.

I fail to see how the churches are holding us back.
Sue

Athens, TX

#17 Mar 1, 2013
It's not a beautiful town like the oldtimers say it is. It's a crowded, hot and boring place. Eleven years ago it was actually nicer. Less traffic, less crime , people knew everyone else. I don't care about whether its wet or dry=people have always drank here. I don't care about Brookshires; it's good enough for me and I am getting familiar with the prices now. What I'd like is more natural beauty. More streams, lakes, flowers. Its a concrete jungle with people pretending to be rich and looking down their noses at you if they THINK you aren't. Lake Palestine isn't beautiful. The fish are contaminated too. If I had to say anything good about Tyler it would be it still retains some of it's former hometown warmth and friendliness. I am so surprised when the old eateries are cutting down on portions. El Charro is getting skimpier; Luby's isn't as good as it used to be for so many years. The mall is SO UGLY and super crowded and noisy and so is SAMS CLUB; just horrible.
You Fools

Tyler, TX

#18 Mar 4, 2013
Damn, people if you hate it that much just move. We are doing so next week.
One who will speak truths

Tyler, TX

#19 Mar 5, 2013
UNIONs in Dallas wrote:
People in Tyler "Rich" Pleases do not make me laugh...These people have no idea what "rich" is. When your kids are driving Lams and Bentlys to school then we"ll talk "rich." Tyler is just full of people who are small fish in a smaller pond.
Lams and Bentleys comment - retarded - We actually work around here so we buy jacked up trucks and bad-ass trailers. Rich is a relative term my friend.
JDK

AOL

#20 Apr 20, 2013
Progression. Finally turned partially wet, and you can buy groceries, at Walmart, but we still have a long way to go...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lindale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joorie Doodie - Corruption Capital USA 3 hr CNelson 5
communist teacher Sun a person 9
Neal Barton's Opinion (Nov '09) Aug 9 Nealiswrong 31
Cast YOUR SPELL Today, Right from the BIBLE ! ! (Jul '13) Aug 9 Tink 3
Chris Green - Thinks he is still running for Sh... Aug 4 Green Scum 6
News Tyler police investigating aggravated robbery e... Jul 30 Elise Gingerich 1
Expose Drug Dealers in Tyler Area (Aug '13) Jul 28 Tyler 3

Lindale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lindale Mortgages