Apple festival set for Saturday

Sep 16, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Carolina Scoop

By Jon Mayhew September 16, 2011 - Despite the possibility of rain on Saturday, organizers of the annual Lincoln County Apple Festival are expecting upwards of between 50,000 to 60,000 people.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Mar 2, 2012
Lacy

Lincolnton, NC

#1 Sep 17, 2011
Well, you will not be able to go to the Post Office or downtown. Just a damn redneck mess!!!!!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#2 Sep 17, 2011
I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did mine up here.If not I'm sorry as hell for you,those schools and everybody else that puts on the show for you works very hard.The Post Office will still be there just as downtown.The funny part about it is you knew this was coming, how did you not go take care of your bus. before hand? I'm glad it was a redneck parade though cause most of them follow the same route. Maybe one day when you grow up you will enjoy it,but until that time DEAL W/IT
Carrie

Denver, NC

#3 Sep 18, 2011
This comment is to Lacy. First of all...you could drive to the post office before or after the festival, so what's the big deal. Another thing, I'm sure none of the vendors appreciate your bitter comment and seeing that a great deal of them were people from local churches, trying to make money for their church and community and it just so happens that Lincolnton may not be the most perfect place to live just as many many other small towns, but one thing is for sure..........if you live there and think so little of the people(then, by all means, move)!
David

Lincolnton, NC

#4 Sep 18, 2011
I hope the gentleman was able to get his mail taken care of. I understand the inconenvience but the event does provide income for many. I agree Lincolnton is not the best place but if you are here,you might as well make the best of it, I do!!! There is no need for anyone to act ugly over it. We just leave Lincolnton for the week-ends and it works very well.
John

Lincolnton, NC

#5 Sep 20, 2011
The Apple Fest is really just a place to be seen but over time it has evolved into something very frightful with the crowds being way too huge. I dont even think those large crowds are actually from Lincolnton and when I say Lincolnton I mean like Boger City and alike. I dont mean Denver or West Lincoln or anything like that.

It doesnt really provide anything for the community. It would help better if the stores downtown were more interesting instead of thinking they are interesting or atleast something that causal people could see and want to return.

Lincolnton banks on the fact that these events will have people coming in for the weekend and spending money at hotels, eating places and etc but the truth is the larger the crowds get the more people feel violated and the more fast food places they see the more they are willing to drive through and give money to other places.

I dont like the apple fest never have and never will and when I was in highschool I thought it would be the cool hip thing to do but even as a kid you get annoyed by other kids running around thinking they are goth, gangsta, or whatever and you just get digusted by everything. I even knew a group of teens who always begged their parents to take them to the apple fest because it was the only time they could actually walk around alone but they werent walking around alone they were going down to the track at the highschool. And I am sure Lincolnton nor those proud local churches would be happy to know what those teens would do down at the track.

Its best just to stay away from the downtown area unless you gotta mail something or ...or..hmm...
Chris

Ellenwood, GA

#6 Sep 21, 2011
It's just one day and I don't have a problem with it. I've lived here 43 years and I've only been to two of the apple festivals. It didn't seem to me to be anything at all and I really don't see the point, but I'm not one to want to kill anyone's fun when it's just one day a year. I head to Gastonia or Hickory most weekends anyway so it's not like it really affects my life. There's nothing in Lincolnton to be missing in the first place. And I see more people I know at the WalMart than I ever did at the festival.
Sandy

Lincolnton, NC

#7 Sep 22, 2011
Hi Chris, yes the festival is not anything!!!! Your statement concerning Lincolnton is true,"nothing to miss". We do not even have a real good restaurant! Just another hamburger town with beauty shops and rednecks!!!
Smack

Boone, NC

#8 Sep 25, 2011
John from Newton is 100% correct!!!! I will tell you straight up it is a bag of bullshit!!!!! It has never accompolished anything to talk about!!!!!
Joyce Dorsey

Lincolnton, NC

#9 Mar 2, 2012
For those of you coming to the Apple Festival and don't get anything out of it, maybe you are looking at it the wrong way. It isn't intended to be a concert at Madison Square Gardens but you do get free entertainment, all of which come from Lincoln County. You have the opportunity to help a non-profit for the coming year by purchasing something to eat and you also can help a struggling artist by purchasing a craft. The merchants are open that day, restaurants as well as stores. Do they have what you want....maybe or maybe not. There is always something for everyone, you just have to look for it. As far as what happens on the walking trail..........well I am sure the police officers and the National Guard take care of it. This is 40th anniversary of the Apple Festival. I challenge you to come to the festival with your eyes open for different and unusual things. You won't be disappointed!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lincolnton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 4 hr Franklin 58,804
rail trail (voices) motz ave side lincolnton, nc Wed mikemike 1
I seen a black bear in Maiden Aug 17 Tammy 12
cmc lincoln sucks Aug 10 you fool 4
House of Hope - Friday Family (Apr '13) Aug 6 WindsOfLove 7
grant this wish? Aug 5 question 1
City Lunch in Lincolnton, NC (Aug '13) Aug 3 hey 22
•••
•••
•••

Lincolnton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000