Unpatriotic or not?
Patti

Lincoln, NE

#1 Nov 18, 2012
Personally, I think retail stores that remain open on important national holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas are being unpatriotic. What do YOU think about this subject?

Stores that stay open on Christmas or Thanksgiving are forcing their employees to work or else risk losing a paycheck (permanently perhaps). Retail store workers are human beings with children and other family members.

Why should store employees lose precious family time together just so some large company with HQs in some other country where our national holidays don't matter can earn an extra day of revenue? Customers in the USA are celebrating on Thanksgiving and Christmas-- not shopping! We are a generous nation and we respect our national and religious holidays.

In Nebraska, a long shameful list of companies are bragging about staying open this Thanksgiving. I think shopping on "Black Friday" is great-- but please, give hardworking minimum wage workers a chance to build some precious family memories. Let stores get ready for Black Friday on the days right before Thanksgiving and then let them share a warm and happy time with their loved ones.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lincoln Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Houses for rent in Raymond (Dec '12) Jul 16 JetFX 4
Poll for Poli Sci Course t NYU Jul 5 teegee 1
legit pain P.I.L.L.S n m/ar.iju/an.a Jun '15 Lincoln delivery 1
love of my life Jun '15 rick minet 1
Frankie Ballard Coming to Town on June 20th Jun '15 CountryMusic22 1
NY Times Columnist: Interview Request Jun '15 Anonymous 1
Crime pays as Nebraska joins the War on the Con... May '15 Culture Auditor 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lincoln Mortgages