Let's talk about Lima

Posted in the Lima Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Kitty

AOL

#1 Sep 26, 2007
What are we doing on a forum for Macedon's WalMart?
Let's start new!
It shines like a beacon - we care about Lima.
It also is apparent - we want to do something.
The truth of the matter is we don't agree on what is needed. Nor do we understand the drawbacks of Lima. We don't all know the process to use to get ideas considered. And there are many who think
the task should be done by gov't. First off, what will the people of this community support?
We might not be in this position if Mr. M had built that plaza on Rochester Rd. If that had come to pass, we might have a post office, a drug store, maybe a bakery, maybe a meat market, maybe a coffee shop, maybe a pizza shop, all in one spot with parking. But it didn't happen. That is not to say it wasn't a good idea. And there must be a dozen little things you would like to see. Wouldn't it be nice to have a post office drop box where you didn't have to get out of your car?
How about a drive up window to get a cup of coffee for that drive to and from work! We have a lot of traffic going through town. How about an outdoor stand to grab lunch in good weather? There are a lot of people who miss the Big M deli.
We don't have a drive up ATM machine. Let's talk folks.
Yours Truly

Rochester, NY

#2 Sep 26, 2007
I don't know who you are but I wish you were running for Supervisor or Mayor. You are the kind of person I am proud to live in the same community with.
eyeyiyi

Rush, NY

#3 Sep 26, 2007
I love this site already! No cutthroat remarks, just positive thoughts and ideas on how to improve this village/town that we love so much we live here. I agree, that a small plaza on the outskirts of town would be ideal but that didn't happen, that's not to say something along the same lines can't happen. You have listed a lot of good ideas that will only come to fruition through citizens coming together united in the same cause. Government for the people, by the people. I suggested on another site that we could have a "Spruce Up Downtown Day". This would enable everyone to work together and brainstorm together on ideas for the revitilization of the village. It is so much better than it was 6+ years ago. But it has taken 6 years just to get a few buildings spruced up. Obviously name calling and arguing has not gotten us anywhere...it never will. I must promise myself to stay away from all the previous sites. This is the one for me.
insider

United States

#4 Sep 27, 2007
The save a lot is what it is, mr M needs to get a more aggresive realator to sell his commercial property. This town should be helping him
YourFunnyBut

Rochester, NY

#5 Sep 27, 2007
Sorry about the name but had to do it. Some of the posts are getting back to the old bashing crap we were putting up with a year ago. For a few days things seemed to be heading in a positive direction then someone new came along and started being critical down to petty spelling errors. The humorous comments don't hurt just helps put some levity into an issue we are all very concerned with. We all need to keep our sense of humor to keep our sanity. If your unable to recoginize the humor in someones post, then maybe you need to take a chill pill, sit back and open your mind.
We all have the ability to help keep Lima a place we ALL want to live in. Difeerences of opinion are a benificial part of our way of life and we have that entitlement. No one should feel that thier opinion shouldn't be made public here or on the streets in fear of scutinity and ramification from some one else. If we all state our positions and opinions in a civilized manner maybe evryone will listen. They may not agree with us but it not what you say but how you say it. This is all of our sandbox and we all need to play nice or all the sand will be outside the box and we won't be able to build anything. Enough of the sermin.. lets have some fun.
Charlie Cole is the only candidate we should even consider. Yes Ms Gradner ( Cathy with a "C" ) will more than likely be a board member, too many repubs in town and not to mention the turncoats to defeat her. We need to concentrate on Charlie's election to help balance things or at leat keep things from tipping over. The two remaining members of the board aren't in anyones pocket yet (well not completely) and can be influenced by rational comments. If you remember they didn't always fall in line behind the concerned citizens group. This is just the beginning as someone had previously mentioned, the group is going to go after the village offices as well and they need to know and understand now that this towns and village people are not willing to accept them as the rulers.
Lets all band together and support Charlie in a positive way that shows why Charlie is the best person for the town and not that someone else is bad. I believe this the best approach.
Let build a better Lima together. VOTE FOR CHARLIE!!!
eyeyiyi

Rochester, NY

#6 Sep 27, 2007
YourFunnyBut wrote:
Sorry about the name but had to do it. Some of the posts are getting back to the old bashing crap we were putting up with a year ago. For a few days things seemed to be heading in a positive direction then someone new came along and started being critical down to petty spelling errors. The humorous comments don't hurt just helps put some levity into an issue we are all very concerned with. We all need to keep our sense of humor to keep our sanity. If your unable to recoginize the humor in someones post, then maybe you need to take a chill pill, sit back and open your mind.
We all have the ability to help keep Lima a place we ALL want to live in. Difeerences of opinion are a benificial part of our way of life and we have that entitlement. No one should feel that thier opinion shouldn't be made public here or on the streets in fear of scutinity and ramification from some one else. If we all state our positions and opinions in a civilized manner maybe evryone will listen. They may not agree with us but it not what you say but how you say it. This is all of our sandbox and we all need to play nice or all the sand will be outside the box and we won't be able to build anything. Enough of the sermin.. lets have some fun.
Charlie Cole is the only candidate we should even consider. Yes Ms Gradner ( Cathy with a "C" ) will more than likely be a board member, too many repubs in town and not to mention the turncoats to defeat her. We need to concentrate on Charlie's election to help balance things or at leat keep things from tipping over. The two remaining members of the board aren't in anyones pocket yet (well not completely) and can be influenced by rational comments. If you remember they didn't always fall in line behind the concerned citizens group. This is just the beginning as someone had previously mentioned, the group is going to go after the village offices as well and they need to know and understand now that this towns and village people are not willing to accept them as the rulers.
Lets all band together and support Charlie in a positive way that shows why Charlie is the best person for the town and not that someone else is bad. I believe this the best approach.
Let build a better Lima together. VOTE FOR CHARLIE!!!
Kitty started a new forum to get rid of all the bashing and now you come in and "kick up the sand". Stop it! No more eluding to spelling and name calling. We've moved on. If you want to post derogatory thoughts please do it on the Macedon Wal-Mart site. Thanks.
YourFunnyBut

Rochester, NY

#7 Sep 27, 2007
Didn't mean anything as a bashing wasn't kicking up the sand, levity, remember. Who was name calling? See here we are I expressed my opinion and get repremanded for it. Eyeyiyi, get off your high horse...were all on the same team here, may play different positions but we're here for a common goal to raise Lima out off the hole we all dug. If you as a person can't take a little poke in fun, well I feel sorry for you.
eyeyiyi

Rochester, NY

#8 Sep 27, 2007
Kitty started a new forum to get rid of all the bashing and now you come in and "kick up the sand". Stop it! No more eluding to spelling and name calling. We've moved on. If you want to post derogatory thoughts please do it on the Macedon Wal-Mart site. Thanks.
Kitty

Rochester, NY

#9 Sep 27, 2007
Hey! YourFunnyBut - Love it. It's a laugh in itself.
Would love to see you write about what we need to make your life easier and happier here in Lima. Sometimes it's the small things that mean a lot.
I am with you when it comes to electing Charlie. He knows Lima. We need him.
Kitty

Rochester, NY

#10 Sep 27, 2007
Has anyone heard anything about maybe a business where the old Lima Florist was? I do know the owner bought some equipment from Big M when they were changing over.
eyeyiyi

Rush, NY

#11 Sep 27, 2007
Did anyone partonize the garden shop in the octagon building this summer?
Lima Res

Rochester, NY

#12 Sep 27, 2007
insider wrote:
The save a lot is what it is, mr M needs to get a more aggresive realator to sell his commercial property. This town should be helping him
First, what s a realator?
And like this town would do something for a businessman.
Kitty

AOL

#13 Oct 4, 2007
eyeyiyi - Will you please stop with the washing of downtown Lima? These buildings do not belong to you. It doesn't matter if you don't like their appearance. Let Dick Garey take care of his buildings in his own way. Walk on the other side of the street or look in the other direction. Everyone wishes he would make an effort but it is not going to happen. So let it go! Please!
Kitty

AOL

#14 Oct 4, 2007
Did anyone hear the news that the Chinese place closed their doors yesterday?
eyeyiyi

Rush, NY

#15 Oct 4, 2007
Kitty wrote:
eyeyiyi - Will you please stop with the washing of downtown Lima? These buildings do not belong to you. It doesn't matter if you don't like their appearance. Let Dick Garey take care of his buildings in his own way. Walk on the other side of the street or look in the other direction. Everyone wishes he would make an effort but it is not going to happen. So let it go! Please!
Hey I just thought it would be a good idea. We have to start somewhere to get downtown looking better. Do you have any ideas that would help? It doesn't matter what side of the street on which one walks, as the shabbiness will still show through. I really don't see anything wrong with trying to make my town look better to people passing through. Do you? Did not hear about the Chinese restaurant. It's like a domino effect. And if the jewelry store tends to be on the high end in prices will that last long? I just don't want a ghost town. Why are you so against a community effort to make our town look better. You have been criticizing everything, at least I am posting some ideas in hopes of getting people back together working in a common cause to improve our town. Please enlighten me as to why you consider this a detrement and then give the forum some other ideas as to what we could do as a community to begin mending and get back the Lima you so love. Thanks.
Against Frowning Faces

AOL

#16 Oct 6, 2007
Even with clean windows and no trash on the sidewalks who wants to stop at a downtown section with no shops?????The Chinese rest is still open and so is my papas. Did anyone who is so concerned eat at any of these places in the past week?No one is against the town looking better but as I said clean windows don't make up for no business. Now rumor has it that the masons are fixing Denises's old place to be office space so there goes any hope of a shop. Also someone wanted to open a shop there but went to Avon as they were given such a hard time about their plans.
eyeyiyi

Rush, NY

#17 Oct 6, 2007
This is NOT criticism, just how I see these things. It will be nice to have another cleaned-up building (although Denise ALWAYS went out of her way to decorate her window for every appropriate occassion/holiday; as does Julia), sadly it will not be a retail space. So we will have three/five (if the firehouse/architect's office is happening) office spaces that will have been improved in the past year. One being Pat Brady's real estate office, that isn't really a retail space but will bring in traffic. A clean bright looking village will attract them to homes in Lima, better than drungy windows and curb sides. When Clair Milburn wanted to build his mini mall that Kitty has mentioned, it was going to be north of the village on 15-A right, where Bristol graphics is located now? That would have been a plus, but it would not have helped the village downtown. So if something lovely and retail does happen on the outskirts of town, will that bring traffic to the downtown area? Especially if it looks run down? I don't believe it will. Clientelle using the architect and lawyer's offices will only be concentrating on doing their business and leaving. People going to the realtor will take notice of the village's appearance, as they are looking at property in the immediate area. Or am I wearing rose colored glasses? Thanks.
eyeyiyi

Rush, NY

#18 Oct 6, 2007
Against Frowning Faces wrote:
Even with clean windows and no trash on the sidewalks who wants to stop at a downtown section with no shops?????The Chinese rest is still open and so is my papas. Did anyone who is so concerned eat at any of these places in the past week?No one is against the town looking better but as I said clean windows don't make up for no business. Now rumor has it that the masons are fixing Denises's old place to be office space so there goes any hope of a shop. Also someone wanted to open a shop there but went to Avon as they were given such a hard time about their plans.
The hard times about the plans are with the current administration though. I know our code enforcement officer can be a stick in the mud, but he is following the codes, right? I ate at my Papa's a week ago, but I rarely patronize the Chinese restaurants in Lima or HF (I think they are the same family or relatives) as I have had bad reactions to Chinese in the past - NOT AT either of these restaurants. I used to go to Crossroads until I learned it was a drug haven. I CANNOT afford to go out to eat all the time, but when I go I patronize J&J, My Pappas, George's, Lima Diner and (I'll be a lynching candidate now!) the American Hotel. And from time to time Lima CC although they are now closed for the winter. However, we must admit there are only about 20 of us regularly blogging on this site, I do believe that far more read it than ever contribute so it would be hard to judge. I doubt 20 of us will keep these businesses running. Luckily Chris and Paula Coughlin are pulling in customers from Livonia and Conesus Lake, as that is where they used to live. I would say that I would be considered a 'regular' dinner customer at local establishments and I rarely see the Gardners or the Allens or the Marcellus' or the Sempowski's....but maybe we are dining at different times? I doubt it.
Yours Truly

Rochester, NY

#19 Oct 6, 2007
We missed our chance to bring in traffic and new business when WM was voted down.Having a clean downtown isn't going to help.People aren't going to flock to Lima to see it's clean windows.Even if they did there would be a group that got upset because of the traffic it created.I wonder why you just notice DG's and not that dirty rundown garage next to the town hall.How about the house next to George G. that has been a multitude of colors for years?
eyeyiyi

Rush, NY

#20 Oct 6, 2007
Yours Truly wrote:
We missed our chance to bring in traffic and new business when WM was voted down.Having a clean downtown isn't going to help.People aren't going to flock to Lima to see it's clean windows.Even if they did there would be a group that got upset because of the traffic it created.I wonder why you just notice DG's and not that dirty rundown garage next to the town hall.How about the house next to George G. that has been a multitude of colors for years?
I thought you were the one that wrote Dick Garey would have us arrested. I said wash the windows on all the buildings, not just Dick Garey's. And Ollerenshaw's (sp) old place is a disgrace, apparently the owner (who's name escapes me at the moment) was told to clean it up. Now it needs some paint. And why Paul Fleming hasn't painted the east side of his house is beyond me. He gives a lot to Lima through his dedication to scouting and he's on the village board so he really isn't a bad guy. I don't think I could even name 1/4 of the shops on Geneseo's Main Street or 1/16 of the shops on Canandaigua's Main Street. I take the shortest route to the stores I want and drive back home. This means taking back roads to avoid traffic signals and traffic congestion. I do shop at big boxes but I didn't think a WM was right for Lima.I'm not sure a WM would have brought traffic into Lima. I've asked this before and no one has answered yet..when you go to WM or Lowes or a shopping mall on the outskirts of a village....when you are done shopping at those stores do you then drive to their downtown or Main Street area and shop at those stores? I know I don't, I have finished what I came for and I go back home. And in this age where everyone is in such a hurry to get places with the exception of those coming directly from the south everyone would by pass Lima's traffic signal to get to WM via Bragg or York to Corby then 15-A or Heath Markham or Dalton to 15-A. So I will agree with your point that we missed our chance to bring in traffic and new business if you frequently shop on Main Streets after visiting a big box on the outskirts AND you would drive straight through the downtown area with traffic and signals to get to the big box stores. I don't think the majority of the shoppers would do that on a regular basis. And I'm not arguing with you. You have a right to your conclusion but you'll have a hard time convincing me. Please try though. Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lima Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rochester police officer's friends join him in ... Dec 2 Ha Ha 3
Rochester area HS coach charged with heroin pos... Nov 17 i_m_watching 11
Dutch Hollow Foods inc. (May '09) Nov '14 Debbie 5
Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Nov '14 I voted Zornow 3
Avon man sues police over excessive force with ... (Jan '08) Oct '14 talon1104 14
Former Caledonia Police Sergeant found guilty o... (Jun '06) Oct '14 Div for youth 10
Supper to raise money for grave markers (Oct '13) Oct '14 Zach 8
Lima Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lima People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lima News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lima

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:32 am PST