Mike Argento: Crazy train barrels thr...

Mike Argento: Crazy train barrels through Supreme Court

There are 18 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Oct 6, 2010, titled Mike Argento: Crazy train barrels through Supreme Court. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

In days of old, people would flock to the carnival to see the geek, a genetically impaired individual who would entertain the crowd by biting the head off of a live chicken.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Ivan

Tulsa, OK

#1 Oct 7, 2010
Brilliant, Mike. As a resident of Oklahoma let me say, "thank God" I'm not from Kansas!
Gone Rogue

Moorestown, NJ

#2 Oct 7, 2010
I agree, brilliant!! I would love to be an onlooker when these people stand before God and try to explain their actions. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...was that the sound of a boulder falling?
Blackcloud

York, PA

#3 Oct 7, 2010
Lets all argue about what the imaginary man in the sky thinks about the way we live our lives...Idiots. Live and let live, dont push your religious views on people. Let gays marry etc, and make churches pay taxes!I could be missing something but with the so called seperation of church and state how are churches tax exempt? They should at least pay property taxes.

Religion is the root of the world's problems; more wars have been fought in the name of god than for any other reason. When people wake up and see this we may someday have world peace.

Since: Dec 07

Arlington, VA

#4 Oct 7, 2010
I'm betting that the religious whackjobs win this one. It's not even a close call to me under the expansive reading of the First Amendment which the Court has embraced since the founding of our Nation.
Blackcloud

York, PA

#5 Oct 7, 2010
Jeff Spangler wrote:
I'm betting that the religious whackjobs win this one. It's not even a close call to me under the expansive reading of the First Amendment which the Court has embraced since the founding of our Nation.
How is this "church" allowed to go to cemetaries which are privately owned and protest right near the service? They may win but they shouldn't. They should be put on a terrorist watch list and sent to Gitmo. Where is G.W. Bush when you need him?
Blackcloud

York, PA

#6 Oct 7, 2010
Blackcloud wrote:
Lets all argue about what the imaginary man in the sky thinks about the way we live our lives...Idiots. Live and let live, dont push your religious views on people. Let gays marry etc, and make churches pay taxes!I could be missing something but with the so called seperation of church and state how are churches tax exempt? They should at least pay property taxes.
Religion is the root of the world's problems; more wars have been fought in the name of god than for any other reason. When people wake up and see this we may someday have world peace.
To the people who voted me as clueless and nuts...why shouldnt churches pay tax? They could write off charitable donations to homeless etc. The rest of the money gets sent up the line to the dioces and eventually makes it over seas to the vatican. Other religions are also set up as a pyramid just like the Catholics. Keep sending the money up the ladder to the fat cats! People thought Madoff made out like a bandit, someone should audit the vatican and other churches for that matter. Not to mention that we miss out on tax revenue from these churches who own prime realestate all over the country.
Um Yeah Me

Red Lion, PA

#7 Oct 7, 2010
We shouldn't feed into these sick a$$ individuals by giving them the news coverage they want. Maybe they wouldn't turn this into a circus. Give them this small story " Bible thumping fools make a$$es our of themselves" and thats it. They are craving attention from us, don't give it. Spend the time doing stories about things that matter in this world. People like them will never be sane.
Um Yeah Me

Red Lion, PA

#8 Oct 7, 2010
*correction out of themselves
Surprised

Mount Wolf, PA

#9 Oct 7, 2010
This is the first time (THE FIRST TIME) that one of Argento's articles didn't make me want to throw up on him. Amazing.
Free Speech

Hershey, PA

#10 Oct 7, 2010
Actually, it's not always okay to speak out and say whatever you want. If your words can cause a calamity, like yelling FIRE in a crowded theatre, you will have to pay the piper.

I would think that this group from Kansas, and their actions, are risking harm to themselves and others, particularly if they evoke anger and subsequent violence.
SMH

York, PA

#11 Oct 7, 2010
This article had me laughing HARD! Great description of the craziness that unfolded that day.

I felt as if I was there while simultaneously making me feel oh so grateful to not have been.
Native Son

East Berlin, PA

#12 Oct 8, 2010
Free Speech wrote:
Actually, it's not always okay to speak out and say whatever you want. If your words can cause a calamity, like yelling FIRE in a crowded theatre, you will have to pay the piper.
I would think that this group from Kansas, and their actions, are risking harm to themselves and others, particularly if they evoke anger and subsequent violence.
Who is paying the bills for this group as they travel around the country spewing their hate? Perhaps the Wrath of Zeus or another vengeful God will fall somewhere in Kansas the next time they are "on the road"
mairedubhtx

San Antonio, TX

#13 Oct 8, 2010
This article is brilliant. Thank you for reporting--straight-out (no pun intended) reporting--the absurdity that is Phelps and his group. You can't really call them "minions"; I think you need several hundred people for a minion in today's society. I'm just glad that I'm not God and don't have to pass judgment on these folks, because I KNOW I wouldn't have the patience. I especially liked the reaction to these folks by people who actually fought for their right to act like fools. Thank you to my son-in-law and his brothers and sister-in-arms who serve our country every day to protect all of us, even the fools.
Yeah Right

York, PA

#14 Oct 8, 2010
The talk of equating of Bernie Madoff with the Vatican and other churches has no bearing on the article that Argento spoke of. Besides, if you want to talk about Ponzi schemes, start another blog and talk about the greatest one - the Social Security system in America - we've been getting ripped off by our own government for decades! Let's be thankful for Attorney Sean Summers and his team for the help they are giving to the Snyder family and I hope that Westboro doesn't "win" this case. Great job Attorney Summers - thank you for your hard work here as well as in the military - we're thankful to have people like you who have fought on the battlefield and are "fighting" the battle against Westboro!
Dawn

Sterling, VA

#15 Oct 8, 2010
They shouldn't be allowed to bother people at a funeral...it's just not right. The state should take their children away too. They do that in cases of unfit parenting right? It's like some kind of cult. If the parents of these heroic children lose it and kill those people, they will have every reason to claim "temporary insanity". I would be willing to go to jail to stop these people from disrupting a total strangers funeral.
lets discuss

York, PA

#16 Oct 8, 2010
This is going to be a tough one - with no winners! If Westboro, as despicable as they are, is not allowed to say whatever they want wherever they want, this will be a precedential case and will be cited in the future as a legal authority for diminishing legitimate free speech (a topic within itself) in the future.
If Westboro wins, they are granted this "victory" and think they are legitimized in their actions.
I hate to think that they may win... but it may be the lesser of two evils.
BDude

Reading, PA

#17 Oct 8, 2010
Next thing they will be doing is accusing people of witch craft and black magic. If you ask me they seem to be taking on traits of the Nazi party and other religous persecutors. Westboro church of hate.
SMH

York, PA

#18 Oct 8, 2010
lets discuss wrote:
I hate to think that they may win... but it may be the lesser of two evils.

As horrible as this story is, I'd have to agree with you. Let's look at this from another angle. Through history there are so many instances where demonstrations of free speech have historically changed the way we live today...a woman's right to vote to civil rights...I have a DREAM... So, on the ugly side of things should the KKK want to demonstrate they too have that right, and have done so with our tax dollars providing them a safe means to do so as well. It's one of the wonderful freedoms our country has to offer. There has to be consistency.

But, I think that the Justices simply have to determine whether or not the area that they demonstrated in would be considered public or private. A person has the right to free speech -- but now I guess they will help us determine the exact areas to do so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lillington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Daves Towing Service (Nov '15) Feb 7 Jackie McCarthan 2
the music thread (Mar '12) Feb 7 jboogz 23
Skating Rinks Feb 4 chucky 1
Review: Croom's Rentals (Jun '10) Jan 28 smhumphries 8
Tuckahoe MC Club (Apr '12) Jan '17 Insider 24
Debbie Hall Boone Trail Ele Jan '17 Tina you know me 2
News 156 dogs rescued, 10 arrested in dog fighting case Dec '16 ETM 1

Lillington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance