Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
Waco 1954

Greenville, SC

#53366 May 15, 2014
TSF wrote:
Once the rich reach a certain level of comfort in terms of money
investing isn't a priority. To them, a better bet is just to sit on
safe money and enjoy the ride. As far as helping others, there are a few
but not very many. Most could care less. What I see killing business in the USA are the restrictive regulations designed to stifle competition from small business. A small contractor struggling to pay worker compensation insurance, unemployment insurance, franchise taxes, privilege taxes, social security taxes, providing insurance, fees with every imaginable name and paying someone to keep up the required paperwork, tax filings, payments etc makes survival of the business questionable and tenuous . At the same time the small business is being milked dry, the huge conglomerates pay zero taxes and even get earned income tax credits from the US treasury . Since there are not enough of us working and paying taxes to keep up, our congress borrows even more money to give to the rich. The rich then scapegoat the working poor who actually need the money to obscure the FACT that the rich are getting 150% more welfare than the poor.
Welfare to the rich has to stop. It is driving the USA into the ground.
<quoted text>
I think you are, unfortunately, correct.
Waco 1954

Greenville, SC

#53367 May 15, 2014
regulations on small businesses are destroying small businesses all across America. big business could not be happier.
Waco 1954

Greenville, SC

#53368 May 15, 2014
once Americans receive a benefit it is very very hard to withdraw that benefit.
in one form or another Obamacare is here to stay.
Waco 1954

Greenville, SC

#53369 May 15, 2014
as each party stokes the emotionalism of its followers, it is amazing that we are not shooting at one another in the streets
the Democrat Party is not tolerant. the Republican Party is not inclusive.
with a blizzard of easy to manipulate statistics, it is a wonder that any of us know what the truth is.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53370 May 15, 2014
TSF wrote:
Another dilemma facing not just the USA, but the world is growth. We are approaching the upper limits of the growth model in terms of population, business and resources. Humans are in a funk because our race has never faced this before and no one knows exactly how to transition into the dreaded area of static sustainability in terms of growth.
Bu unless we figure it out, we will face the same fate pattern as ALL other biological systems. That is slow growth at first, then exponential growth, then a short leveling off of population and then--- a population crash. That crash often results in total extinction. It happens with fruit flies in a jar, yeast cells in a beer wort,, rats in a room with unlimited food supply,-- any biological system, The only thing that could make humans different from the other systems is intelligence. That seems to be diminishing lately.
The rat test in the big cage was particularly horrifying.
I'm sure you heard of that test?
TSF

Angier, NC

#53371 May 15, 2014
The pattern is entirely predictable be the subject rats, bugs, bacteria, fungi
Waco 1954 wrote:
<quoted text> The rat test in the big cage was particularly horrifying.
I'm sure you heard of that test?
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53372 May 15, 2014
TSF wrote:
The pattern is entirely predictable be the subject rats, bugs, bacteria, fungi
<quoted text>
What was strange was how the rat "society" broke down so completely..
Even though there was plenty of food, when the population reached a certain tipping point, the rats began to kill and eat one another.
There were some mating irregularities as well.
TSF

Angier, NC

#53373 May 15, 2014
The human parallels are unmistakable .
Waco 1954 wrote:
<quoted text> What was strange was how the rat "society" broke down so completely..
Even though there was plenty of food, when the population reached a certain tipping point, the rats began to kill and eat one another.
There were some mating irregularities as well.
waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53374 May 15, 2014
TSF do you think there is any validity to the claims about the VA that just surfaced regarding letting veterans die? Real, or political?
Red Square

Mills River, NC

#53375 May 15, 2014
I am not in a funk and I doubt that many other people, at least in this country, are in one. I also doubt that fruit flies, yeast, or rats will be much of a predictor as to what happens to humans. Sorry, but this sounds like a lot of doomsday fear mongering without the evidence to back it up.
TSF

Angier, NC

#53376 May 15, 2014
Yes , I believe the claim. There are over 280,000 workers in the
VA. In all organizations there are lazy incompetent clock riders
who will falsify paperwork to keep from having to work or to cover up their incompetent mistakes or omissions. There are worthless doctors just like
there are worthless people in any profession.
I believe the director is doing the best he can do with
available resources.
waco 1954 wrote:
TSF do you think there is any validity to the claims about the VA that just surfaced regarding letting veterans die? Real, or political?
TSF

Angier, NC

#53377 May 15, 2014
The evidence is overwhelming. The result is the same with any biological system
on which the experiment is tested. Intelligence to change the experimental conditions is the only advantage humans have that would suggest a different outcome for humans. Ignorant denial of facts because we do not like to hear them shows a lack of intelligence. If there is a human predominance of that lack, there is the proof that humans are no exception. Only if everyone thinks like you are we doomed.
Red Square wrote:
I am not in a funk and I doubt that many other people, at least in this country, are in one. I also doubt that fruit flies, yeast, or rats will be much of a predictor as to what happens to humans. Sorry, but this sounds like a lot of doomsday fear mongering without the evidence to back it up.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53378 May 15, 2014
A woman, pregnant, in Sudan is going to be executed.
For refusing to recant her faith.
Christian.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53379 May 15, 2014
Red Square wrote:
No "doomsday".
Who mentioned that?
Main study was regarding overpopulation.
waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53380 May 15, 2014
Red Square mystifies.
Won't vote.
Rich, powerful people "allow" us to vote, to insure some degree of domestic tranquility.
Some would say, gives the average person the feeling that he/she actually has a small degree of influence over larger events.
A sham, a sop to mollify the "masses"?
waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53381 May 15, 2014
Hard to believe a woman is being executed because she is a Christian.
Maybe now, the true level of animosity that Muslims feel for Christians is being amply demonstrated to the world.
That woman has real belief in Christ.
They will kill her for that.
Astounding.
Red Square

Mills River, NC

#53382 May 15, 2014
TSF wrote:
The evidence is overwhelming. The result is the same with any biological system
on which the experiment is tested. Intelligence to change the experimental conditions is the only advantage humans have that would suggest a different outcome for humans. Ignorant denial of facts because we do not like to hear them shows a lack of intelligence. If there is a human predominance of that lack, there is the proof that humans are no exception. Only if everyone thinks like you are we doomed.
<quoted text>
That means this experiment would have to be tested on every biological
system--I doubt that has happened. There are likely many populations
that have not followed this model--the cockroach for instance. Plus the
ones you mentioned seem to be in closed systems under experimental
conditions, not real world ones. So I really don't see any particular
reason to be convinced by all this. Might there be some temporary
problems with human population growth? Could be. Are we necessarily
headed for extinction--I doubt it. It's easy to make long term predictions,
harder to see if they will come true.
Red Square

Mills River, NC

#53383 May 15, 2014
Waco 1954 wrote:
<quoted text> No "doomsday".
Who mentioned that?
Main study was regarding overpopulation.
Well if the ultimate outcome might be extinction, that
sounds pretty doomsday to me. People have been
predicting all kinds of doomsday scenarios for centuries,
and we're still here.
Red Square

Mills River, NC

#53384 May 15, 2014
waco 1954 wrote:
Red Square mystifies.
Won't vote.
Rich, powerful people "allow" us to vote, to insure some degree of domestic tranquility.
Some would say, gives the average person the feeling that he/she actually has a small degree of influence over larger events.
A sham, a sop to mollify the "masses"?
Almost half the population doesn't vote. You have a right
to vote, no matter what rich people allow. But I do agree
that the average voter doesn't have a lot of influence over
events and that the rich have more power than the middle
class or poor do.
TSF

Angier, NC

#53385 May 15, 2014
Humans are a relatively new development on Earth having been here only around 2 million years. If we last another 2 million years, we will still be a short lived species here compared to other species like the cock roach which has been here hundreds of millions of years. Centuries are a blink in the eye of time . So you personally need not worry since we are still in the exponential growth phase with slight leveling just now beginning to happen.
Numbers: human population took 2 million years to reach 1 billion in 1802. Only 125 years later in 1927 the human population reached 2 billion. Only 33 years after that , our population reached 3 billion. in 1960. Only 27 years after that our population nearly doubled reaching 5 billion in 1987, only 12 years after that human population reached 6 billion in 1999, only 13 years after that our population reached 7 billion in 2012. So you see exponential growth with a slight leveling in the rate of growth. When you see the growth stop then in a few decades, you will see the precipitous drop in human population to near zero or even eventually to zero. Don't worry. It probably will not happen in our lifetimes., but it will happen.
Red Square wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if the ultimate outcome might be extinction, that
sounds pretty doomsday to me. People have been
predicting all kinds of doomsday scenarios for centuries,
and we're still here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lilesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man shot by deputy..........has now died! Mar '16 Reid 7
News McCrory to veto gay marriage objection bill (May '15) Mar '16 John M Brown 8
News Anson County Sheriff's Office on the hunt for m... (Jan '14) Jan '14 maria 1
News Man drowns in Pee Dee River in Anson (May '13) Jun '13 tiffany 3
Election Who do you support for State House in North Car... (Oct '10) Apr '13 Leave 15
News Annual rodeo ropes in fun in Lilesville (Jul '09) Jul '12 country girl 2
News 11th man sought in fatal Union beating (Sep '06) Jun '11 jonathan Blakney 65

Lilesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lilesville Mortgages