Hawaiian hawk reaches stable perch

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

The Hawaiian hawk no longer requires federal protection as an endangered species, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Waikiki Beachboy

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

Judged:

The Hawaiian Hawk is a lovely sight to behold, flying over the Pali. I used to hear it's screech in the night skies, above
Nuuanu, but now it seems to have disappeared due to
the building into the mountainsides and traffic.
People now have high powered airguns and it's possible to shoot them unnoticed by enforcement officials.
Keep the bird on the endangered list; what's the harm in continuing such protection
Mike

Kalispell, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

great news for this important bird
2nd Am

Kahului, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

If you allow the hawk to be delisted, does that mean open season?

Leave the hawk listed. It's a beautiful bird that deserves to be protected forever. It's endemic so protection is a must.

It would be a shame if they're delisted because people would probably lessen their awareness on these birds.

It's true regarding these high powered air rifles. I can shoot mines easily over a hundred yards (125 yards to be exact) with deadly accuracy. Easily penetrates aerosol paint can. And they are silent. Not the PCP scuba tank type, the spring-piston Euro ones. Barely audible if you're just a few yards away.
Hopeful

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

A cause for hope, even as it seems like we're on the verge of losing another Native bird, the palila, to extinction in just a few years.
CMK

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

This is all well and good, but what about the Hawaiian green sea turtle? Three years ago scientists reported that that population has reached the foraging capacity of their environment. They are now doing damage to other species that are dependent on the same forage.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

CMK wrote:
This is all well and good, but what about the Hawaiian green sea turtle? Three years ago scientists reported that that population has reached the foraging capacity of their environment. They are now doing damage to other species that are dependent on the same forage.
Is that because of the sea turtle or man?
San Francisco Poi Dog

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

All of the endemic species of Hawai'i are pretty much threatened. Keep the io on the endangered list...I love how people arbitrarily state it's rebounded with a number of 3,000. That is NOT a large number to continue a species.
BlueWave

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

The Hawaiian green sea turtle is not recognized as a distinct population segment (DPS) so can't be separated from the population as a whole, which is not doing well worldwide. Until they decide to make it a DPS it won't be proposed for delisting.
Send comments to USFWS

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

So many comments that the Io should remain on the Endangered Species list...I agree with you all! Please let the US Fish and Wildlife Service know what you think!!!
CMK

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

I believe genetic studies have been conducted for the Hawaiian Green sea turtles and that they are a distinct population. There is a 2004 report by G. Balazs and M. Chaloupka entitled "Thirty-year recovery trend in the once depleted Hawaiian green sea turtle stock" that makes that argument, though I have not seen a decisional document from the Feds.
JumBoi

Eisingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

a magnificent bird of prey..IO the kingof the airstream...can pluck a mongoose inna' heartbeat
didi

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

never seen one on oahu. all the pueo and many of the other native birds should be on the endangered list.

We used to get massive flocks of migratory ducks and now no more. If you pave every inch no more any life.

Obviously there is no overall plan to help Hawaii's bird from extinction.
joiner chapman

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2009

the hawaiian hawk is the coolest bird in the hawaiian spifecs
joshua helms

Plainfield, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2009

hay sup i luv hawaiian hawks there awesome
Davis kinnaird

Waunakee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

could you people give me some info on the hawaiian hawk plese
Davis kinnaird

Waunakee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

its me again
iole

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Davis kinnaird

Waunakee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

thank you:)
Davis kinnaird

Waunakee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

can i have another web site
iole

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

The Nature Conservatory is another good resource.
http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northameric...

Much of Hawaiian history is the oral tradition (Song, dance, legend) Kupuna (old folk) are invaluable.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lihue Discussions

Search the Lihue Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Kapaa Music Thread (Apr '12) Jul 13 Musikologist 14
Insurer punished for failing to pay claim - News (Jan '09) May '14 Quakteanro Gugiliamphotbo 49
kauai kai salon May '14 shara 1
Kauai Fire Department seeks more overtime funds May '14 shara 2
Kauai man gets 30 days in jail for cruelty to a... (Feb '10) May '14 common sense 2
Proof on website proving Police Misconduct and ... (Apr '06) May '14 KauaiBatman 12
State timeshare properties prove popular with o... (Feb '09) May '14 Julia Anderson 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lihue Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lihue People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••