Catastrophic fish kill still scars Ni...

Catastrophic fish kill still scars Niihau diet - News

There are 68 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 15, 2009, titled Catastrophic fish kill still scars Niihau diet - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

LIHUE, Kauai>> Niihau residents still are not eating fish months after thousands of dead fish washed ashore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Disgusted

Wahiawa, HI

#1 Mar 15, 2009
So, what evidence does Janice Okubo want? Dead people on Niihau? Why in the world did DLNR ask the US Fish and Wildlife Service put rat poison on Lehua, a PRIVATE island? Why did neither agency consider the risk? Is anyone going to be taken to task for this screw up or is it "business as usual"?
Smells Fishy

Mililani, HI

#2 Mar 15, 2009
I've seen recent presentations about the rat control effort on Lehua, and to their credit, I'm sure they received permission, had only the best intentions, and felt it was completely safe for the surrounding wildlife based on a rigorous analysis. If the kill was in fact related to the poison -- which we still don't know -- then that was the last thing they would've wanted, short of a human getting sick or worse.

I think before we "take anyone to task," we need to make sure that there is a connection between the poison and the fish kill. Intuitively, you would think so based on the timing & location, but you can't base it just on that alone. Fish kills have been happening forever, and there can be a lot of potential causes.

I still don't understand what's so difficult about simply testing some of the fish and animals for the poison. Do we need to call in "House"? Lets get it done and let the public now if that's the cause or not.
Smells Fishy

Mililani, HI

#3 Mar 15, 2009
I shoulda done more research before posting. This blog post by Jan TenBruggencate is very informative, and suggests that the rat poison was probably NOT responsible for the fish kill. Wonder why the article seemed to suggest the opposite?
http://raisingislands.blogspot.com/2009/03/do...
DeadMenTellNoTal es

Ewa Beach, HI

#4 Mar 15, 2009
Decomposition has toxins of its own. Its not a simple matter to test for organic poisoning.

CSI is a television show. Fringe science fiction?
bungahead

Hilo, HI

#5 Mar 15, 2009
It was the whales. . .
Kupaa Mahopeokaaina

Hilo, HI

#6 Mar 15, 2009
Scientific evidence is pointing to other sources for the fish kill. The areas where the fish kills occurred were on the complete opposite side of the island where Lehua is. The fish kill is exactly in the location of the lake which overflowed into the sea for the first time in years due to the rain. Its quite likely that diatoms from the lake spilled into the ocean and caused the fish kill. Also the Navy was conducting exercises in the area during the same time. Funny how none of the newspapers mentioned that? I don't think it's a coincidence that the Navy has been paying Robinson to use some of the island, and that residence are forbidden from going to areas where there is Navy activity.
Dont believe the hype

Hilo, HI

#7 Mar 15, 2009
For more good reporting on the Navy's involvement for the fish kill see thehawaiiindependent.com
hawaiiansupaman

Hilo, HI

#8 Mar 15, 2009
Something smells and it's not the dead fish.
ovphoto

Honolulu, HI

#9 Mar 15, 2009
Let me guess,rat poison+run-off +ocean=Dead fish sounds like a no brainer to me

“Common sense - common man”

Since: Oct 08

Honokaa, HI

#10 Mar 15, 2009
We are going to have to get used to the simple fact that reporting in the newspapers is no longer reliable. The newspapers no longer can afford the staff, editing and due diligence required to publish well-researched articles. Add to that society's fascination with environmental villains, and you have a recipe for bad reporting.

Imua!
DolmicPoisoning

Ewa Beach, HI

#11 Mar 15, 2009
See post #6, opposite side of island.

Micro-organism toxins get concentrated through the food chain.
pua basset

Napa, CA

#12 Mar 15, 2009
So what is it ?? Did the u.s. governments dept.'suse of poison mess up the local fish food chain or not??? Probably.. Possibly.. For sure as what happened! Look at all the golf courses by the waters adge.. No eat speared fish from around there-- Why?? Cause get algae bloom diseases from the nitrates leaking and leaching into the near shore reefs and therefore food chain. Same thing= What goes around comes around. Full circle stuff= use poisons= get poisoned in da end.Oh BUT if we say we don't know as make it all OK.,Right??? Wher the Home Aina Protection guys when you need em?? At Lankys ??
pua basset

Napa, CA

#13 Mar 15, 2009
Say WHAT?? the navy was involved too??As only one question ??
RedTide

Ewa Beach, HI

#14 Mar 15, 2009
From Wikipedia, a reference: "Some red tides are associated with the production of natural toxins, depletion of dissolved oxygen or other harmful impacts, and are generally described as harmful algal blooms. The most conspicuous effects of red tides are the associated wildlife mortalities among marine and coastal species of fish, birds, marine mammals and other organisms. In the case of Florida red tides, these mortalities are caused by exposure to a potent neurotoxin called brevetoxin which is produced naturally by the marine algae Karenia brevis."
alice

Honolulu, HI

#15 Mar 15, 2009
Waimea cowboy wrote:
We are going to have to get used to the simple fact that reporting in the newspapers is no longer reliable. The newspapers no longer can afford the staff, editing and due diligence required to publish well-researched articles. Add to that society's fascination with environmental villains, and you have a recipe for bad reporting.
Imua!
well said. I noted this last eyar.
Translator

Keauhou, HI

#16 Mar 15, 2009
This is a travesty.
Ignorance is ruining Hawaii.
Hawaiians are victims once again...
alice

Honolulu, HI

#17 Mar 15, 2009
I did not poison any sea...I can't even go there....too busy
Wanderer

Elkview, WV

#18 Mar 15, 2009
Fish kill was on the opposite end of the island from Lehua? Someone needs to explain that before we blame the rat poison.Meanwhile what are the Robinsons doing on Niihau? A missionary family with their own island of Haaiians could be hiding all sorts of things.

Maybe someone needs to look into that?
alice

Honolulu, HI

#19 Mar 15, 2009
they are not a missionary family hon..the robinson family was Scotch and came after the mission had closed. I am always amazed at how ignorant people are about their own history here.

Since: Aug 08

Makawao, HI

#20 Mar 15, 2009
I think it was caused when Bush took a tour of the island on the super ferry...
LOL LOL LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lihue Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone know alexandria tangalin / gregg Jan '17 Xotto 1
Do you know Alexandria Tangalin(or Gregg) (Sep '11) Jan '17 Troy Morgan 13
Proof on website proving Police Misconduct and ... (Apr '06) Sep '16 anaon 13
Omao Music Thread (Sep '15) Jun '16 Musikologist 3
Debate: Gay Marriage - Kapaa, HI (Jul '10) Feb '16 diacesus 8
News Former church secretary jailed for theft - Hawa... (Dec '08) Jan '16 Victim 12
News Rare skull disease afflicts child (May '08) Nov '15 District 1 27

Lihue Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lihue Mortgages