Increase in food demand overwhelms soup kitchens - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

With unemployment growing, soup kitchens statewide are overflowing with hungry residents.
Comments
1 - 20 of 55 Comments Last updated Sep 16, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
john w bienko

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

It is apparent the USA and the State of Hawai`i, once the greatest and richest governments on the planet, have failed to serve their citizens. Aloha oe
quebert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

In America it's not the government, or your nieghbor's responsiblity to feed you. He who does not work, niether shall he eat. If the druggies, criminals and alkies ever put down the dope and went to work, they wouldn't be "starving". The facts are, as long as you feed them, they're not going anywhere. HNL, San Francisco and other venues should've learned this by now.
StateTaxPayer

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

It's the governments' duty not to bankrupt themselves and its citizens. Yes, our governments are responsible for the economic mess we are in.
nope

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

quebert wrote:
In America it's not the government, or your nieghbor's responsiblity to feed you. He who does not work, niether shall he eat. If the druggies, criminals and alkies ever put down the dope and went to work, they wouldn't be "starving". The facts are, as long as you feed them, they're not going anywhere. HNL, San Francisco and other venues should've learned this by now.
nope, you are wrong
you are only seeing part of the picture

there is no science to back up your conclusion that there is always going to be enough jobs for those that want to work

there are economic times when there simply isn't enough jobs for everyone

for some reason this is when the greatest number of haters come out from their holes to kick people when they are down

have you no shame?
kaimuki

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

quebert wrote:
Many of the homeless had a job and a place to live. This isn't the case any more. Its is the government's responsibility to assist Americans who are down and out. The Constitution clearly states all Americans have a right to "Life". Having food is life, without it, the homeless would die.
kailua

New River, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

the gov. always helping third world countries, but never hwlp the us people...
willie

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

kaimuki wrote:
<quoted text>
The Constitution clearly states all Americans have a right to "Life".
True but it does NOT say it is up to that government to provide it.
Von

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

This is starting to sound like the soup lines of the great depression. What happened to all the stimuli money, jobs and a new world that we were promised or was that meant for this life time?

What I'm starting to see is that maybe the new jobs will never metalize ever again. After the great depression I am told that there was a whole new frontier to be discovered. Yet this time around the new frontier has been gobbled up by places like China for example. The U.S. does almost no manufacturing like from before and everything is still outsourced to foreign countries so where could new jobs metalize from anyway? I'm just starting to feel other than the governments there will never be any new jobs. If you disagree then please enlighten me?
local

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

If you work in the food industry, your meals are covered by your employer. The problem here is people don't want to work. They want a free handout. There are dishwasher openings.
wendell

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

Von wrote:
This is starting to sound like the soup lines of the great depression. What happened to all the stimuli money, jobs and a new world that we were promised or was that meant for this life time?

What I'm starting to see is that maybe the new jobs will never metalize ever again. After the great depression I am told that there was a whole new frontier to be discovered. Yet this time around the new frontier has been gobbled up by places like China for example. The U.S. does almost no manufacturing like from before and everything is still outsourced to foreign countries so where could new jobs metalize from anyway? I'm just starting to feel other than the governments there will never be any new jobs. If you disagree then please enlighten me?
Perhaps this is why many economists are saying the recovery will be a "jobless" one.
What the Heaven

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

"A lot of donors in the past have now become recipients of donations," Grimm said. "It's tough out there. One of our biggest concerns right now is what's going to happen to state employees."

It's no longer a matter of what is going to happen to state employees but what has already happened. As a state employee, I no longer donate and have reduced my spending in anticipation of having my wages reduced at least 10 percent. Lingle's determination to balance the budget solely on the backs of state workers have already vicitmized businessess that rely on state workers. At least to restaurants in the downtown area have already closed and many more will follow when the wage cuts become a reality. They say sheet rolls downhill and lingle's actions have made the hill steeper.
alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

America is in free fall decline
wharfrat

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

I am tired of working, then buying food with my earnings, taking it home, washing it, cooking it, eating it, and then having to wash the dishes.
So I am going to start standing in soup lines and get my free meals every day. In the Chinatown area there are many handouts every day. All free for the taking.
emo

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

US is a debt based monetary system. If people don't consume (and incur debt while doing so) our monetary supply will shrink. You can't have an expanding economy with a shrinking money supply. Obama and Congress want to reverse this by using stimulus spending (and driving up the fed debt). So far this hasn't done much other than slow our recession. While there is some glimmer of hope, the economy will never rebound until people feel comfortable again and are willing to incur debt. Lingle's heavy handed policies will probably depress Hawaii's economy and leave it in the doldrums. But I suppose she wants to claim she faced a huge deficit and turned it into a surplus by the time she left office. Sorry State Workers, you're just pawns in the game of life. Wonder how long it's going to take before people question why Hawaii is still in the doldrums while all the other States have bounced back.
geeee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

government can't help, the workers are laid off or furlough, LL and her whining supporters can see to that
Sustainability

Hauula, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Do you think the food shipment from the mainland will never be disrupted? Do you think we should have some agricultural lands to grow our own food? If we don't have money, can we survive off the land?
Truth

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

StateTaxPayer wrote:
It's the governments' duty not to bankrupt themselves and its citizens. Yes, our governments are responsible for the economic mess we are in.
You mean those wonderful people at AIG and Bear Sterns who created a market for securitized debt that was mased on dubious bond ratings had nothing to do with it. Do you man those wonderful people at Countrywide and Washington Mutual and other industrial mortgage brokers (who my the way are not subject to the Community Reinvestment Act) who basically tossed out their own underwriting standards in a relentless pursuit of fees and other short term returns had nothing to do with it? Oh I know, the government should have protected us from these guys, except it was the financial industry themselves that lobbied for a deregulated market. Yes its all the government's fault, private industry is made up of lilly-white virgins even those find boys at Enron. Get a grip, find some reality.
Von

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

wendell wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps this is why many economists are saying the recovery will be a "jobless" one.
This is what I'm hearing too. Exaclty.

Aloha
wendell

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>You mean those wonderful people at AIG and Bear Sterns who created a market for securitized debt that was mased on dubious bond ratings had nothing to do with it. Do you man those wonderful people at Countrywide and Washington Mutual and other industrial mortgage brokers (who my the way are not subject to the Community Reinvestment Act) who basically tossed out their own underwriting standards in a relentless pursuit of fees and other short term returns had nothing to do with it? Oh I know, the government should have protected us from these guys, except it was the financial industry themselves that lobbied for a deregulated market. Yes its all the government's fault, private industry is made up of lilly-white virgins even those find boys at Enron. Get a grip, find some reality.
Yes, and strongly encouraged to do the less than standard lendiung by Fannie/Freddie, which more than willingly bought up those sub-prime loans, on which those derivatives were created.

Fannie/Freddie tripled their balance sheets, buying those mortgage loans in the few years from 2005 to 2008.
hard

Maunaloa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

The solution is to turn away fat people, druggies, homeless bums, and people with nice cars. Just say no or tell them to go dumpster diving.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lihue Discussions

Search the Lihue Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Kapaa Music Thread (Apr '12) Jul 13 Musikologist 14
Insurer punished for failing to pay claim - News (Jan '09) May '14 Quakteanro Gugiliamphotbo 49
kauai kai salon May '14 shara 1
Kauai Fire Department seeks more overtime funds May '14 shara 2
Kauai man gets 30 days in jail for cruelty to a... (Feb '10) May '14 common sense 2
Proof on website proving Police Misconduct and ... (Apr '06) May '14 KauaiBatman 12
State timeshare properties prove popular with o... (Feb '09) May '14 Julia Anderson 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lihue Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lihue People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••