Many at hearing oppose plan to close ...

Many at hearing oppose plan to close Laurel Valley school

There are 3679 comments on the The Tribune-Democrat story from Jan 13, 2010, titled Many at hearing oppose plan to close Laurel Valley school. In it, The Tribune-Democrat reports that:

A total of 60 adults and students requested to speak Tuesday night at a public hearing on whether the Ligonier Valley School District should close Laurel Valley Middle-High School near New Florence and send students to district schools in Ligonier.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Tribune-Democrat.

Kevin McLaughlin

Johnstown, PA

#2349 Sep 12, 2010
Jennifer Jablunovsky wrote:
"Isn't a legitimate PAC required to keep and maintain records?"
Yes. They are required to register with the Election Bureau and submit financial statements quarterly. If someone has donated to a PAC, there is public record of it. SORE, however is not registered as a PAC, they are a "legal defense fund", which means they have no accountability or oversight. I just think it's hypocritical for members of SORE to complain about the PAC's records, when SORE's records are not public.
Sounds like it is getting under your skin Jen or Michelle

Since: Mar 10

Alexandria, VA

#2350 Sep 12, 2010
“This board has every candidate connected in some way to either the friends or the pac.”

Even if they do, so what?

“They wanted a cross section of the people who the board decisions affected, but in our district that isnt the case and your friends made sure of it.”

What “they” are you referring to?

“Jen are you saying that community groups or as Mr Parker stated " bunches" are not legal??”

Of course not, the First Amendment gives people the right to assemble. What I don't understand is your contention that what the “Friends of Ligonier” was doing something illegal or unethical, when the SORE group is doing the exact same thing.

“It is his arrogance that I do not like.”

What you like or don't like about Mr. Parker is irrelevant, on Topix and in court.

“Quit playing your games you know full well that the pac is doing things within the letter of the law.”

I'm not playing games, and if the PAC is doing things within the letter of the law then what on Earth are you complaining about? Again, it doesn't matter if you “like” what they did or not. It wasn't illegal and you approval is irrelevant.

“I hope your name doesnt appear on the ballot in 2011.”

Don't worry, it won't be.
Brad Heming

Bedford, PA

#2351 Sep 12, 2010
Then why Jen are you constantly complaining about SORE? We are doing things within the law. The DA looked into it, the ligonier end made sure of that long ago.
Seems odd that taxes are the cry for your end, but then your people look for ways to fund the changes with tax write-offs.
NO LIES HERE

United States

#2352 Sep 12, 2010
"Isn't a legitimate PAC required to keep and maintain records?"
Yes. They are required to register with the Election Bureau and submit financial statements quarterly. If someone has donated to a PAC, there is public record of it. SORE, however is not registered as a PAC, they are a "legal defense fund", which means they have no accountability or oversight. I just think it's hypocritical for members of SORE to complain about the PAC's records, when SORE's records are not public.
Jennifer, the next SORE meeting is tuesday evening at 7:30 at st marys hall, 9th street, new florence. you are more than welcome to attend. everyone is welcome.
and ask any questions you want. not like the "friends" or "PAC" groups. Invite only by Irma Hutchinson. Oops! After a couple of calls from the Media, she opened it to all. But wouldn't allow video or recording. What was there to hide?

Kitty Hawk, NC

#2353 Sep 12, 2010
"Then why Jen are you constantly complaining about SORE? We are doing things within the law. The DA looked into it, the ligonier end made sure of that long ago. "

It seemed strange to me that the PAC was required to register with the Elections Bureau, and SORE was not. I did talk to Jim Montini and since SORE was created post election, they are not required to file.....yet. Here's the difference, Brad, I asked a question, and received an answer...then dropped it. What I did not do was file an expensive, time consuming, frivolous lawsuit because I didn't LIKE the answer I received. We've heard over and over that the "truth will be exposed" during the trial...and we're still waiting.

Kitty Hawk, NC

#2354 Sep 12, 2010
"Jennifer, the next SORE meeting is tuesday evening at 7:30 at st marys hall, 9th street, new florence. you are more than welcome to attend. everyone is welcome."

Really? Because when Aimee Taggert asked about the meeting on FaceBook, "Jandfirs" (who is on SORE's "media committee") flipped out and made it very that clear she wasn't welcome.

"After a couple of calls from the Media, she opened it to all."

From what I understand, the meeting was always open to the public. Complaining because you didn't receive an invitation makes you sound like the nutty Godmother in a fairytale. If it was open to the public, then it was open to the public, what's the problem? And why do you need to video tape the meeting? Are you impaired in some way that you can't remember what was said the next day?
Kevin McLaughlin

Johnstown, PA

#2355 Sep 12, 2010
"Jennifer, the next SORE meeting is tuesday evening at 7:30 at st marys hall, 9th street, new florence. you are more than welcome to attend. everyone is welcome."
Really? Because when Aimee Taggert asked about the meeting on FaceBook, "Jandfirs" (who is on SORE's "media committee") flipped out and made it very that clear she wasn't welcome.
"After a couple of calls from the Media, she opened it to all."
From what I understand, the meeting was always open to the public. Complaining because you didn't receive an invitation makes you sound like the nutty Godmother in a fairytale. If it was open to the public, then it was open to the public, what's the problem? And why do you need to video tape the meeting? Are you impaired in some way that you can't remember what was said the next day?
Jen you had better check with your buddy Irma because you just gave a false statement ( doesnt suprise me since Irma has already mispoke or perjured herself previously) because it was not open to the public at first. You had to be invited and rsvp to Irma and I wasnt welcome she told me on the phone. Although a pac is suppose to give equal time to all candidates and they did not. Maybe I will have to file that with the elections board thanks for reminding me. And regarding Jandfirs he does not speak for Sore and I did invite Mrs. Taggart and you also are welcome anytime.

Kitty Hawk, NC

#2356 Sep 12, 2010
"You had to be invited and rsvp to Irma and I wasnt welcome she told me on the phone. "

I didn't realize that. I apologize.

"Maybe I will have to file that with the elections board thanks for reminding me."

But if they changed the policy and made it open to the public, what would you report to the elections bureau?

"And regarding Jandfirs he does not speak for Sore and I did invite Mrs. Taggart and you also are welcome anytime."

I wonder if "Jandfirs" knows this? ;)
NO LIES HERE

United States

#2357 Sep 12, 2010
[QUOTE who="Jennifer Jablunovsky...

" What I did not do was file an expensive, time consuming, frivolous lawsuit because I didn't LIKE the answer I received."

Obviously the Laurel Valley Community does not believe this is a "frivolous" lawsuit. And apparently the Judge doesn't either, or he would have dismissed it when Rafferty requested so several times!

"We've heard over and over that the "truth will be exposed" during the trial...and we're still waiting."[/QUOTE]

Where is the h-e-double hockey sticks have you been. Even the Judge pointed out the lies and showed his disgust for the defendents. You are living in your own little world aren't you.
ligonieralumni08

United States

#2358 Sep 12, 2010
I'm in awe every time i get a notification about this blog. Half the time I don't even bother to read what's posted on here because you "adults" are acting more like children. The kids on both sides of the district are acting more grown up than you people. Simply get on facebook and read the statuses of the kids. Most of them are positive. When the first football game rolled around, they were all supporting the LV RAMS. I am proud of the kids (who let me remind you are in the middle of this) for being supportive of each other even if they don't want to be consolidated. I think you adults need to stop this he said she said point the finger at every one else bull and focus on the good. Focus on making our xommunity better. Focus on the KIDS because they are the future of both Ligonier and Laurel Valley.
Citizen Kane

Pittsburgh, PA

#2359 Sep 13, 2010
ligonieralumni08 wrote:
I'm in awe every time i get a notification about this blog. Half the time I don't even bother to read what's posted on here because you "adults" are acting more like children. The kids on both sides of the district are acting more grown up than you people. Simply get on facebook and read the statuses of the kids. Most of them are positive. When the first football game rolled around, they were all supporting the LV RAMS. I am proud of the kids (who let me remind you are in the middle of this) for being supportive of each other even if they don't want to be consolidated. I think you adults need to stop this he said she said point the finger at every one else bull and focus on the good. Focus on making our xommunity better. Focus on the KIDS because they are the future of both Ligonier and Laurel Valley.
You said it very, very well!! I agree totally 100%!!! The consolidation has now happened, move on now folks. I am so proud of all our kids and how they have been handling everything!!

Kitty Hawk, NC

#2360 Sep 13, 2010
<<Obviously the Laurel Valley Community does not believe this is a "frivolous" lawsuit. And apparently the Judge doesn't either, or he would have dismissed it when Rafferty requested so several times!>>

Whether you believe it to "frivolous", or not is again....irrelevant. I think your interpretation of the Judge's actions is just that, your interpretation.

<<Where is the h-e-double hockey sticks have you been. Even the Judge pointed out the lies and showed his disgust for the defendents. You are living in your own little world aren't you.>>

Granted, I haven't been there for every moment of the trial, but I have been there long enough to hear the Judge say, repeatedly, that he can only rule in SORE's favor if the finds EVIDENCE that the Board acted in an arbitrary or capricious manner. The sheer volume of information proves that it wasn't "arbitrary" (flipping a coin) and the length of time it has taken proves that it wasn't "capricious" (fickle, done on a whim). Granted the timeline means the merge happened faster than you would have liked.....but the timeline for making the decision and the timeline for merging the schools are two separate issues. The Judge could also rule in SORE's favor if there was EVIDENCE that the Board did something illegal, and we've heard the "truth will be exposed", but again we're still waiting.

Why has the Judge allowed the case to continue? Maybe he's making sure to look at all the information so that SORE and it's supporters can have their day in court, and when its over we can finally put this behind us (as opposed to dealing with an appeal?)

I agree with ligonieralumni08. I think the merge has gone more smoothly than anticipated, the kids are doing well, and it's time to move on.
givepeaceachance

Gwynn Oak, MD

#2361 Sep 13, 2010
Brad Heming wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like your are taking laurel valley's position. Those were exactly the questions asked of this board. We also asked what "better educational opportunities" there were. Also ligonier valley school district did not encompass laurel valley. Ligonier valley school district was formed by the forced consolidation of laurel valley and ligonier school districts in the 60's by the state. That was the first consolidation.
BTW why if consolidation is needed why did the Ligonier TWP. come out against consolidation of municipal governments?
I really wasn't siding at all, just pointing out a few things to one who feels this is a personal injustice. And, by the way Kevin, I bet you don't feel one bit bad about those other girls who didn't make the court. Get real.
Kevin McLaughlin

Johnstown, PA

#2362 Sep 13, 2010
"You had to be invited and rsvp to Irma and I wasnt welcome she told me on the phone. "
I didn't realize that. I apologize.
"Maybe I will have to file that with the elections board thanks for reminding me."
But if they changed the policy and made it open to the public, what would you report to the elections bureau?
"And regarding Jandfirs he does not speak for Sore and I did invite Mrs. Taggart and you also are welcome anytime."
I wonder if "Jandfirs" knows this? ;)
"But if they changed the policy and made it open to the public, what would you report to the elections bureau?"

I was never contacted as a candidate to have equal time to speak at that meeting which was required. Do you still have the number for Jim I would like to call him nay better yet Ill just look it up on the website. Thanks
Kevin McLaughlin

Johnstown, PA

#2363 Sep 13, 2010
ligonieralumni08 wrote:
I just wonder how understanding you have been if you had to go to Laurel Valley for your senior year Alum
Kevin McLaughlin

Johnstown, PA

#2364 Sep 13, 2010
givepeaceachance wrote:
<quoted text>I really wasn't siding at all, just pointing out a few things to one who feels this is a personal injustice. And, by the way Kevin, I bet you don't feel one bit bad about those other girls who didn't make the court. Get real.
You comment shows that you really do not know me
Kevin McLaughlin

Johnstown, PA

#2365 Sep 13, 2010
Sheri Dowden wrote:
OK, Kevin, I'll give them to you; although, according to you people should "get off their duff" & do it themselves!
K = 68 kids (they weren't in school last year obviously)
1st (2009 K)= 71 ....up by 2
2nd (2009 1st)= 72 ....down by 4
3rd (09 2nd)= 90...up by 3
4th (09 3rd)= 92..up by 6
5th (09 4th)= 91...up by 15
How's that?? Comments???
Its amazing Sheri how you can have this info and the board didnt get it until tonight. Did you do a RTK. By the way do these numbers not prove that the Ligonier end is losing # as per Dr. Oldhams report. Look at the K and 5th grade differences. 22 students for Mellon and 9 for Laurel. Whats your point

Here are the numbers the district put out

Laurel Elem Mellon Marker Carey
K 37 69
1 37 72
2 38 74
3 70 89
4 38 92
5 46 91
6 120
7 131
8 146
9 161
10 121
11 167
12 138

Kitty Hawk, NC

#2366 Sep 14, 2010
I would like to take a moment to make a public appeal to everyone posting on this site and ask that you refrain from the teasing, name calling and foul language. I and “my friends” have been accused of ganging up on people, but the only friends I know of are using their own names and have been for months. I do not know “Manboobs”, or “Jagger” or any of the other posters who are yanking your chains (“Jagemback”, now might be a good time to be quiet ;) I'm not responsible for what others post, and I've been told repeatedly that no one cares what I say, but I would like to respectfully request that the inflammatory posts stop.

Thank you.
Sheri Dowden

Ligonier, PA

#2367 Sep 14, 2010
Kevin McLaughlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Its amazing Sheri how you can have this info and the board didnt get it until tonight. Did you do a RTK. By the way do these numbers not prove that the Ligonier end is losing # as per Dr. Oldhams report. Look at the K and 5th grade differences. 22 students for Mellon and 9 for Laurel. Whats your point
Here are the numbers the district put out
Laurel Elem Mellon Marker Carey
K 37 69
1 37 72
2 38 74
3 70 89
4 38 92
5 46 91
6 120
7 131
8 146
9 161
10 121
11 167
12 138
As I said, I got the numbers by asking! Its not some big conspiracy, occurring in dark alley's, I do a lot of stuff at Mellon with the PTA & I needed the numbers for the assembly I was organizing for tomorrow. So I ASKED!
Here's some questions for you:
1. What do these numbers represent to you?
2. There are a lot of statements about how Laurel Valley kids feel fighting for their school...What about the Laurel Valley kids who have said; 'STOP fighting, we're combined, we like it & we want it to stay as is?' What about them? My point is, no one is ever happy with choices our government makes for us. If the judge rules to keep it as is. I hope the adults can finally move on!
Kevin McLaughlin

Johnstown, PA

#2368 Sep 14, 2010
Sheri Dowden wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said, I got the numbers by asking! Its not some big conspiracy, occurring in dark alley's, I do a lot of stuff at Mellon with the PTA & I needed the numbers for the assembly I was organizing for tomorrow. So I ASKED!
Here's some questions for you:
1. What do these numbers represent to you?
2. There are a lot of statements about how Laurel Valley kids feel fighting for their school...What about the Laurel Valley kids who have said; 'STOP fighting, we're combined, we like it & we want it to stay as is?' What about them? My point is, no one is ever happy with choices our government makes for us. If the judge rules to keep it as is. I hope the adults can finally move on!
If the judge rules the other way are you willing to move on??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ligonier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Magistrate Bilik's office 1 hr Lol 2
Should Penn use discretion on tar and chip with... 8 hr golfqueen 20
City Brewery 12 hr besthavemovedaway 39
pizza Tue Uncle George 9
Derry geese Aug 22 old timer 2
Local Police Aug 21 latrobeRES 1
State Police Aug 21 latrobeRES 14

Ligonier Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance