Are you satified with Latrobe's city ...

Are you satified with Latrobe's city manager?

Created by Back to the Future on Oct 5, 2012

293 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

EPA Air Pollution Study

Latrobe, PA

#102 Dec 6, 2012
chromium colbalt Pb wrote:
<quoted text>
Latrobe Steel releases Chromium, Cobalt and Lead into the environment at levels that make Westmoreland County one of the top 10% most polluted counties in the United States
scorecard.org
Latrobe Steel is ranked in the top 10% of most unhealthy business sites in the United States.
scorecard.org
Latrobe is floating on liquid waste that was injected into the abandoned mines (my old bastard neighbor and ex-city council person), and this waste has got to affect the locals' health (my own opinion...)
With ATI add some boron, moly, and with the former Toyad,toluene.
Incubator In Latrobe

Latrobe, PA

#103 Dec 7, 2012
Latrobe could benefit from having a business incubator, like they had years ago in the old Kennametal site near the Community College. The City could apply to be a Keystone Enterprise Zone for associated tax incentives.
KOZ initiative

Greensburg, PA

#104 Dec 7, 2012
Incubator In Latrobe wrote:
Latrobe could benefit from having a business incubator, like they had years ago in the old Kennametal site near the Community College. The City could apply to be a Keystone Enterprise Zone for associated tax incentives.
It's actually called the KOZ initiative:

Keystone Opportunity Zone

And all of Latrobe, residents and all, could get property tax breaks, due to being either a "blight area" or adjacent to a blight area.

The 36-acres of land that Latrobe Steel/Watermill Investments built on is not paying taxes for 10-years, because Watermill enrolled that dump (literally) into the KOZ program.

See? These programs are available, but everyone in Latrobe lives under the magic fairy dust...
Jagger

Pittsburgh, PA

#105 Dec 7, 2012
KOZ initiative wrote:
<quoted text>
It's actually called the KOZ initiative:
Keystone Opportunity Zone
And all of Latrobe, residents and all, could get property tax breaks, due to being either a "blight area" or adjacent to a blight area.
The 36-acres of land that Latrobe Steel/Watermill Investments built on is not paying taxes for 10-years, because Watermill enrolled that dump (literally) into the KOZ program.
See? These programs are available, but everyone in Latrobe lives under the magic fairy dust...
Enterprise Zone and Keystone Opportunity Zone are actually two different programs.

http://www.newpa.com/find-and-apply-for-fundi...

http://www.newpa.com/business/expansion-reloc...
more drugstores please

Greensburg, PA

#106 Dec 7, 2012
Jagger wrote:
<quoted text>
Enterprise Zone and Keystone Opportunity Zone are actually two different programs.
http://www.newpa.com/find-and-apply-for-fundi...
http://www.newpa.com/business/expansion-reloc...
See how a thread dies when ya put up reading material?

I'll read about the Enterprise Zone. The KOZ thing is amazing. Since Latrobe Steel gets benefit from it, so should at least Fifth Ward, adjacent to it.
more drugstores please

Greensburg, PA

#107 Dec 8, 2012
I'm going to get that house back yet.
Buster

Latrobe, PA

#108 Dec 8, 2012
more drugstores please wrote:
Treble damages are the key to life.
2 Copy Cat

Greensburg, PA

#109 Dec 8, 2012
more drugstores please wrote:
Once in a while I think about that, buying the house back when I am really really old, spending my 80s there remembering my youth, and my sojourn home with my mother in her old, old age.

About three weeks before I learned the house sold, I had a dream where only my mother was standing in the dream and she told me, "Honey don't go back to the house." Of course, there were other words spoken, too.

But it was a profound dream as if she really was with me. When I woke up, I felt released from any pangs of loss. And, three weeks later, on here, I learned the house had sold, and it was not a shock, or an emotional set-back of sorts.

When I was little, the neighborhood had trains going all through it, along Lincoln Road, all the way down to the end of Avenue E. The steam whistles blew everyday, several times, to start and end the men's work shift. The fire whistles blew to designate where the firemen need to go.

There was a playground "down the bottom" (the fields to the west of Fifth Ward). There was also a community ball field, and just being in our home, in the summer, with the windows open we could hear the "smack" of the bat against the balls.

On hot summer afternoons, kids were seen in groups walking into the woods to go to Paddy's Hole to swim or smoke cigarettes and be cool, literally and figuratively.

The Vulcan Mold & Iron company had a large ball that would follow across a pulley on the ceiling and drop to the ground every five-minutes or so to break a mold around molten steel.

I remember when all the smock stacks on all three sides of Fifth Ward suddenly started forcing out white steam and smoke, instead of black, because the EPA had been established and filters were no required to cover the emissions. That was around 1972.

None of the yards had fences. Most of the yards had hedges; and after mowing the lawns, in unison, on Saturday morning, every so often, the men would complain, and swear, and become frustrated attempting to form their wild hedge growth into nice square yard dividers.

Kids walked through yards to see their friends,(except through our yard, my mother was hell on wheels, and didn't like that. My Dad and I used to roll our eyes when she yelled at the kids, and then we'd yell at her for doing that.)

There's so much more...

But when I left in 1979, I left to never return. I drove down Interstate 70 banging my hands on the top of my little Datsun 210 that I was leaving behind a place where I really had no place.

Though the last years of my mother's life were hard, and the years after, I do not regret my return home. In retrospect, I should have sold the house after she died, and take a little equity to relocate, probably back to expensive California.

But, I had built the massive gardens and worked on those for years, and I'd become attached to the land, in a way that I never knew was possible, since I'd lived in urban areas for 25-years, renting small apartments in high rises, or larger apartments in sprawling complexes with pools and volleyball courts.

Plus, I was just too stuck in my grief over what I'd been through, and what I was going through, and what I might face. So, I muddled through the process the best I could.

Now, there are fences in Fifth Ward in many of the yards. The time-consuming hedges are gone. Going "down the bottom" can't happen anymore: the wetlands have been filled in, the fields built on, the playground removed, the ballfield abandoned.

The whistles no longer blow, the trains no longer run, the iron tracks have been uprooted and taken for scrap. Kids no longer walk anywhere, let alone in packs to Paddy's Hole or through the yards to get to each others' homes.

The street lights don't glow at night so that ten kids can play tag in the dark. Though I experienced Fifth Ward at two times in my life, both are gone, yet the memories will remain a lifetime.
Buster

Latrobe, PA

#110 Dec 9, 2012
2 Copy Cat wrote:
<quoted text>
Once in a while I think about that, buying the house back when I am really really old,
Can you buy a house with "magic fairy dust"?
2 Buster

Greensburg, PA

#111 Dec 9, 2012
Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you buy a house with "magic fairy dust"?
Sure. I also don't believe in God or religions, but I do believe people talk to me from the afterlife. And, if my mum didn't tell me to leave I would have bought that house back with my TREBLE DAMAGES, which will be coming soon.
2 buster and 2 buster

Greensburg, PA

#112 Dec 9, 2012
2 Buster wrote:
Sure. I also don't believe in God or religions, but I do believe people talk to me from the afterlife. And, if my mum didn't tell me to leave I would have bought that house back with my TREBLE DAMAGES, which will be coming soon.
I'm glad that you both know what treble damages are, and have incorporated that term into your vocabularies. A little foreclosure lesson goes a long way.
2 O5wr

Ardsley, NY

#113 Dec 9, 2012
2 buster and 2 buster wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad that you both know what treble damages are, and have incorporated that term into your vocabularies. A little foreclosure lesson goes a long way.
The only lesson I learned is why you shouldn't be a liar and braggart.
2 2 O5WR

Greensburg, PA

#114 Dec 9, 2012
2 O5wr wrote:
The only lesson I learned is why you shouldn't be a liar and braggart.
I am glad you learned something, too. Lessons come wrapped in many different packages.
Stanley P Kachowski

Latrobe, PA

#115 Dec 9, 2012
Treble damages are good food.
meathead central

Greensburg, PA

#116 Dec 9, 2012
It only took you meatheads 106 posts to turn this thread into a post about me. That's mighty impressive, perhaps a TOPIX record.
Frankie Jo

Latrobe, PA

#117 Dec 9, 2012
meathead central wrote:
It only took you meatheads 106 posts to turn this thread into a post about me. That's mighty impressive, perhaps a TOPIX record.
Why would that be a surprise, you live on here.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#118 Dec 9, 2012
After reading many threads and discussions on Topix...Latrobe reminds me of the little town from which they launched the canoes in the movie Deliverance.
meathead central

Greensburg, PA

#119 Dec 9, 2012
Redneck wrote:
After reading many threads and discussions on Topix...Latrobe reminds me of the little town from which they launched the canoes in the movie Deliverance.
I knew there was a sound reason for wanting canoe ramps in the mighty Loyalhanna...
Jagger

Pittsburgh, PA

#120 Dec 10, 2012
2 Copy Cat wrote:
<quoted text>

When I was little, the neighborhood had trains going all through it, along Lincoln Road, all the way down to the end of Avenue E. The steam whistles blew everyday, several times, to start and end the men's work shift. The fire whistles blew to designate where the firemen need to go.
There was a playground "down the bottom" (the fields to the west of Fifth Ward). There was also a community ball field, and just being in our home, in the summer, with the windows open we could hear the "smack" of the bat against the balls.
On hot summer afternoons, kids were seen in groups walking into the woods to go to Paddy's Hole to swim or smoke cigarettes and be cool, literally and figuratively.
The Vulcan Mold & Iron company had a large ball that would follow across a pulley on the ceiling and drop to the ground every five-minutes or so to break a mold around molten steel.
I remember when all the smock stacks on all three sides of Fifth Ward suddenly started forcing out white steam and smoke, instead of black, because the EPA had been established and filters were no required to cover the emissions. That was around 1972.
None of the yards had fences. Most of the yards had hedges; and after mowing the lawns, in unison, on Saturday morning, every so often, the men would complain, and swear, and become frustrated attempting to form their wild hedge growth into nice square yard dividers.
Kids walked through yards to see their friends,(except through our yard, my mother was hell on wheels, and didn't like that. My Dad and I used to roll our eyes when she yelled at the kids, and then we'd yell at her for doing that.)
There's so much more...

Now, there are fences in Fifth Ward in many of the yards. The time-consuming hedges are gone. Going "down the bottom" can't happen anymore: the wetlands have been filled in, the fields built on, the playground removed, the ballfield abandoned.
The whistles no longer blow, the trains no longer run, the iron tracks have been uprooted and taken for scrap. Kids no longer walk anywhere, let alone in packs to Paddy's Hole or through the yards to get to each others' homes.
The street lights don't glow at night so that ten kids can play tag in the dark. Though I experienced Fifth Ward at two times in my life, both are gone, yet the memories will remain a lifetime.
I remember it pretty much like you remember. I didn't live in town, but my father worked in town and my mother did her grocery shopping either at Thoroughfare on Lincoln Road, or Skatell's over by the train station. We went school shopping at the Oxford Shop and Lewis Brothers.

I also remember how busy Ligonier Street was during Christmas time....how it actually took a little while to get through all the lights because of traffic. There were also lots of people on the streets carrying packages and going in and out of all the stores. Troutman's was what, four floors, maybe five?

And I remember how busy the mills were at that time, running three shifts a day. How the windows glowed at night and how loud the sounds of production were. The pungent smell. I also remember having to often wait for the trains to pass before we could continue on so many of the streets.

And of course the playgrounds....they were great too. Playing and fighting, then more playing until it was lunch time. Then more playing until supper time and then when it was dark we'd play until we absolutely had to go inside. It was a great time to be a kid.
Jagger

Pittsburgh, PA

#121 Dec 10, 2012
meathead central wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew there was a sound reason for wanting canoe ramps in the mighty Loyalhanna...
That's actually pretty funny. But, I don't think this board is indicative of Latrobe's population. Many post from out of town and many in town do go in for what goes on here. Redneck seems to paint with a broad brush often, and I think this is just another example.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ligonier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jioios mold problem 13 hr cry a river 3
News Westmoreland drug sting ends with 14 in custody (Dec '10) 15 hr Ness 38
Derry Plow Crew 15 hr Sick ofit 9
Jeff Ruffner Fri pitts 7
How much Gold has William Devane bought from Ro... (Aug '13) Thu Mcg 70
New Garage Door Company Thu OMG 2
Poll What should be done with the derry police??? (Jan '08) Jan 17 Mayuka2846 153

Ligonier Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ligonier Mortgages