Are you satified with Latrobe's city manager?

Created by Back to the Future on Oct 5, 2012

291 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Back to the Future

Latrobe, PA

#1 Oct 5, 2012
As a former native son with relatives in the city I have some real issues with the decline in the housing stock and demise of the central business district. There are some good initiatives going on and that is gratifying to see.

I do think that the salary for Alex Graziani is too high given the dire financial situation of the City. Furthermore, I am opposed to hiring consultants for every important decision the city undertakes. Furthermore, I think Alex should make a commitment to the City and reside in the community.

He certainly is a bright young man and I would hope that he would he would start using his innate abilities in making critical decisions.
special people

Greensburg, PA

#2 Oct 6, 2012
Back to the Future wrote:
As a former native son with relatives in the city I have some real issues with the decline in the housing stock and demise of the central business district. There are some good initiatives going on and that is gratifying to see.
I do think that the salary for Alex Graziani is too high given the dire financial situation of the City. Furthermore, I am opposed to hiring consultants for every important decision the city undertakes. Furthermore, I think Alex should make a commitment to the City and reside in the community.
He certainly is a bright young man and I would hope that he would he would start using his innate abilities in making critical decisions.
What is Graziani's salary?
special people

Greensburg, PA

#3 Oct 6, 2012
Back to the Future wrote:
If Joe Bush, the dump master, who-sits-on-his-ass-all-day, makes $55,000, then shouldn't the City manager make 33% more than that?
SUMMER

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Oct 6, 2012
special people wrote:
<quoted text>
If Joe Bush, the dump master, who-sits-on-his-ass-all-day, makes $55,000, then shouldn't the City manager make 33% more than that?
OMG the "dump master" lol - you made me laugh with that one! The "dump master" isn't one of my favorite people - He is very immature for a person of his position!!!
bumjuice

Latrobe, PA

#5 Oct 8, 2012
I wasn't aware that the city was in such dire financial straights. I mean with the property transfer taxes from the sale of Chestnut Ridge and Latrobe Steel, that the city should have received, they could easily have paid for the beloved parking garage. I do agree with all of the consultants and studies. Seems like a waste as I have not seen any real changes. Probably would have been more productive to put that money back in the general fund, but whatever.
do not get too sick

Greensburg, PA

#6 Oct 8, 2012
SUMMER wrote:
He is very immature for a person of his position!!!
Not only is her immature, he's imcompetent. But, he drinks at the clubs so that makes him imvincible.
Agreed

Latrobe, PA

#7 Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure what to think. I find it hard to believe that the programs in place are going to generate revenue and bring people into the town. I'm not sold on the revitalization efforts, and the program as a whole. To me, it is nothing but a coat of paint project that cannot make up for decades of bad decision-making.

A Sustainability Manager? What exactly is that again? Seems to be nothing but a middle-man between Alex, the revitalization manager, town government, and a certain foundation, who should all be communicating in joint efforts anyway. If I'm missing something there, please inform me.
Sustaining Pollution

Greensburg, PA

#8 Oct 9, 2012
Agreed wrote:
I'm not sure what to think. I find it hard to believe that the programs in place are going to generate revenue and bring people into the town. I'm not sold on the revitalization efforts, and the program as a whole. To me, it is nothing but a coat of paint project that cannot make up for decades of bad decision-making.
A Sustainability Manager? What exactly is that again? Seems to be nothing but a middle-man between Alex, the revitalization manager, town government, and a certain foundation, who should all be communicating in joint efforts anyway. If I'm missing something there, please inform me.
Sustainability is the new buzz word for -- environmental work.

So, if Latrobe has a LUXURY of paying for a Sustainabiltiy Manager (who is actually paid out of secret funds, not the town itself), then the Sustainability Manager should be working on:

1) making Latrobe go green: for example, no plastic garbage bags.

2) cleaning up the (3) TOXIC SITES in Latrobe

3) ensuring that the Loyalhanna water is clean, which it isn't, based on the local watershed data, DEP data.

4) making certain that Latrobeans aren't breathing Chromium, Cobalt, and Lead from Latrobe Steel, which they are, according to the federal EPA website.

I mean, a Sustainability Manager is -- icing on the cake -- unless the GREAT POLLUTER of the town, wants to be over-looked, and NOT REQUIRED to keep the town healthy.
Agreed

Latrobe, PA

#9 Oct 9, 2012
Sustaining Pollution wrote:
<quoted text>
Sustainability is the new buzz word for -- environmental work.
So, if Latrobe has a LUXURY of paying for a Sustainabiltiy Manager (who is actually paid out of secret funds, not the town itself), then the Sustainability Manager should be working on:
1) making Latrobe go green: for example, no plastic garbage bags.
2) cleaning up the (3) TOXIC SITES in Latrobe
3) ensuring that the Loyalhanna water is clean, which it isn't, based on the local watershed data, DEP data.
4) making certain that Latrobeans aren't breathing Chromium, Cobalt, and Lead from Latrobe Steel, which they are, according to the federal EPA website.
I mean, a Sustainability Manager is -- icing on the cake -- unless the GREAT POLLUTER of the town, wants to be over-looked, and NOT REQUIRED to keep the town healthy.
See, I told you that I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I actually agree with you! The whole position seems shady.

And the Outreach portion of his job title? How many positions and programs does a town need that seem to fall under the "planning umbrella?" What's sustainable about a few festivals and a bike trail? It seems the town is working backwards.

It will take a collection of entrepreneurs with a shared-vision to really make an impact on this town.
Sustaining Pollution

Greensburg, PA

#10 Oct 9, 2012
Agreed wrote:
<quoted text>
See, I told you that I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I actually agree with you! The whole position seems shady.
And the Outreach portion of his job title? How many positions and programs does a town need that seem to fall under the "planning umbrella?" What's sustainable about a few festivals and a bike trail? It seems the town is working backwards.
It will take a collection of entrepreneurs with a shared-vision to really make an impact on this town.
The town is so stupid -- by that, I mean the City Leaders -- that it hired a "Sustainability Manager" to organize volunteer programs in Latrobe?(per the City Manager's blog when he announced the new privately paid position).

The town could be hiring me, for $75,000 a year, and I'd have the downtown thriving in 5-years, with an entire new look, stores, and restaurants, and other things like theatres, etc.

But, I'd want free reign, no city council up my ass, bothering me.

In fact, a true Revitalization Manager should have free-reign, and not interact with a small town's city council.

The RM should function as a consultant, and introduction-maker between real estate investors, chain stores, franchise-operations, and a three people -- Moe, Larry, and Curly -- who own the downtown real estate.
Know It All Girl

Latrobe, PA

#11 Oct 9, 2012
If you want the job...I am hearing...you should be talking to the attorneys in the Mellon Bank Building...first floor...who might just be funding everything.
Downtown

Latrobe, PA

#12 Oct 12, 2012
Economic revitalization of Latrobe is going to be difficult with most of the commerce leaving the city for Route 30.It would be great to see a grocery store in the central city for the elderly,
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#13 Oct 12, 2012
Downtown wrote:
Economic revitalization of Latrobe is going to be difficult with most of the commerce leaving the city for Route 30.It would be great to see a grocery store in the central city for the elderly,
That's sounds very nice, but the elderly will be the first to tell you they can't afford the prices a small grocery store would need to charge to survive. This is one of the "benefits" of globalization and praises to the likes of Wal*Mart. Small grocery stores like the old Battaglias's and Mattocks can't make it today. Welfare and unemployment checks don't compare to the steel mill and manufacturing job incomes of the days many local stores thrived.

A solution might be taking two steps backward to the day of hucksters driving the neighborhoods with their wares on the backs of trucks. Maybe a food chain store like Giant Eagle or Shop n Save could load a truck with food items and drive it into a few stops in the town where people would have easy access to it. Imagine a mini-farmers market on the back of a truck that could drive to the elderly…might be worth a cost/benefit analysis. Might be an opportunity for an ambitious person to explore…partnering with a Giant Eagle or Shop n Save. Or maybe Wal*Mart will monopolize this too…
Two steps only

Leesburg, VA

#14 Oct 12, 2012
Redneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's sounds very nice, but the elderly will be the first to tell you they can't afford the prices a small grocery store would need to charge to survive. This is one of the "benefits" of globalization and praises to the likes of Wal*Mart. Small grocery stores like the old Battaglias's and Mattocks can't make it today. Welfare and unemployment checks don't compare to the steel mill and manufacturing job incomes of the days many local stores thrived.
A solution might be taking two steps backward to the day of hucksters driving the neighborhoods with their wares on the backs of trucks. Maybe a food chain store like Giant Eagle or Shop n Save could load a truck with food items and drive it into a few stops in the town where people would have easy access to it. Imagine a mini-farmers market on the back of a truck that could drive to the elderly…might be worth a cost/benefit analysis. Might be an opportunity for an ambitious person to explore…partnering with a Giant Eagle or Shop n Save. Or maybe Wal*Mart will monopolize this too…

Latrobe will never revitalize. If it just cleaned itself up, that would be enough.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#15 Oct 12, 2012
Two steps only wrote:
<quoted text>.
Latrobe will never revitalize. If it just cleaned itself up, that would be enough.
There inlies the dilemma. Even to clean up costs money. Without the industry with its community supportive owners, tax revenue, and disposable income for local residents who worked there...there is no money to do a good "wire-brush" type cleaning.

Revitalization really has to mean reindustrializng the area with long term job security and living wages for its employees. But that is not the goal of our national leaders, third generation owners of industries, and even organized labor.

All the revitalization that you will see will be in pipe-dream forums like this one. No one else is on this page...
Wesley Yoder

Latrobe, PA

#16 Oct 12, 2012
The only thing that is exact is:

ROMNEY WILL BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#17 Oct 12, 2012
Wesley Yoder wrote:
And then what...you putz? What diffeence does it make who is president? Congress makes the laws. And we have the best Congress money can buy. Now, if you're one of the people with influence like those on K street, what are you doing writing in this little blog?

If you're not, then you're one of the millions who are as dumb as a bag of hammers and play this stupid game of fantasy government.
Box Top

Latrobe, PA

#18 Oct 12, 2012
Hope and Change ??????????

It is time: ROMNEY FOR PRESIDENT
Two steps only

Leesburg, VA

#19 Oct 12, 2012
Wesley Yoder wrote:
Romney will lead the country into war. you will become hungry and you will lose equity in your investments, while your Republican leaders swell with wealth.
white man

Greensburg, PA

#20 Oct 13, 2012
Two steps only wrote:
<quoted text>Romney will lead the country into war. you will become hungry and you will lose equity in your investments, while your Republican leaders swell with wealth.
Amen.Its the truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ligonier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tuition Free 3 hr Mr McGoo 14
Shop and Save Latrobe 9 hr Someplace Else 23
Plumbing service (Mar '13) Sun Two cents 32
Youngstown Sun vfd 3
Best place to pick up married woman? Sun thefinestallmoved... 15
Trash schedule Sat Garbagemenbelongt... 2
Best Prices for Home Heating Oil? Dec 18 Courtney Galler 5
Ligonier Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web