La Plata, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

from the Houston Herald:

"A drunk driver from Licking convicted of killing two children in a head-on car accident near his hometown two years ago may spend as few as 120 days in prison, under a decision handed down by a Maries County associate circuit judge.

The sentence received by Justin D. Bradshaw, 26, has outraged the family of the two children, ages 8 and 15, and advocates on behalf of drunk driving victims. Four others were injured in the December 2006 accident."
outraged

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Judged:

There is a story on the Houston Herald webpage concerning this. The family is asking for to people to write this judge on behalf of the family, the address is at the bottom of the page. This is the time for people to come forward and uphold justice and people being held responsible for their actions. This crime is to me just like holding a gun and committing murder. These type of judges need to be set down from the bench.
hmmmm

Plattsburg, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Judged:

This makes me sick!!!! Those poor people lost thier loved ones and he gets 120 days? Where is the justice in that?

Since: Jul 08

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Judged:

How much time has he spent already? If any at all? I think childrens lives are worth a hell of a lot more than 120 days!

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Judged:

Here is the article that is online. Thought I would post it so people could read it.

A drunk driver from Licking convicted of killing two children in a head-on car accident near his hometown two years ago may spend as few as 120 days in prison, under a decision handed down by a Maries County associate circuit judge.
The sentence received by Justin D. Bradshaw, 26, has outraged the family of the two children, ages 8 and 15, and advocates on behalf of drunk driving victims. Four others were injured in the December 2006 accident.
Maries County Associate Circuit Judge John Clayton, hearing the case on a change of venue from Texas County, accepted an August guilty plea related to the deaths of Ryan M. Jones, 15, who died shortly after he was freed from the wreckage, and Amanda Strom, 8, who died the following day in a Springfield hospital. Four others were injured in the crash and each brought an assault charge by Texas County Prosecutor Michael Anderson against Bradshaw.
Clayton handed down his decision Oct. 16 that resulted in two, 10-year sentences on the involuntary manslaughter counts and six years on each of the assault charges. Under the determination, Bradshaw would spend 10 years in prison because the sentences were to run concurrently. That's four more than a probation and parole report recommended.
Anderson argued earlier two, 10-year terms on the manslaughter counts (20 years total) were appropriate. However, the judge also retained jurisdiction over the case for 120 days under a state statute. Family members who gathered in a Phelps County Circuit Court to hear the sentence were pleased with the finality of the judge's decision until learning that the state statute cited could release Bradshaw after four months in the Missouri Department of Corrections.
"We feel like justice has slapped us in the face," said Cindy Halluin of Beckemeyer, Ill., the aunt of the two fatally injured children.
Halluin, who is a sister to Ryan Jones' mother, said the family walked away from the sentencing not totally aware of the meaning of the statute allowing the judge to visit the case again after 120 days. Later, in a meeting with Anderson in the courthouse, they learned the implications of the law.
"Judge Clayton had a duty to uphold and that was to consider punishment for the crime of a repeat offender who ending up killing two children. I believe he allowed his personal opinion of the anger still held by the victims cloud or rule over his judgment," said Halluin.
Victims of the crime spoke Oct. 9 during a hearing before Clayton. Admittedly, Halluin says some of those speaking may have crossed the line in the eyes of the judge. Anderson doesn't see it that way.

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Judged:

"I mean really, why wouldn't we still be angered over a repeat offender who was let go so many times before, and then ended up killing two kids because his license wasn't revoked long enough the first time or something more drastic wasn't done with his first DWI to maybe affect him enough to drink and drive again," Halluin said.
Records show that he entered a guilty plea in 2004 to a DWI case in Shannon County and was ordered to pay a $300 fine. Later, he failed to appear for a court hearing related to not paying the fine and a warrant was issued for his arrest and later recalled in March 2005, according to court documents.
According to a Missouri State Highway Patrol reconstruction report, Bradshaw was the driver of southbound vehicle that crossed a centerline and struck a car driven by Matthew M. Strom, 34, of Edgar Springs, head-on. Strom and three other children - Licking residents Blythe and LaShae Brotherton, both 11 at the time and siblings to Ryan Jones, and his son, Matthew Jr., 7, were seriously injured in the crash. The Brotherton children and Ryan Jones have the same mother.
Still hospitalized in February with a broken hip and pelvis, Bradshaw told troopers at his hospital bed that he didn't remember the accident, but recalled leaving an Edgar Springs home before the crash, according to a report. A lab report taken six hours after the crash showed Bradshaw had a blood-alcohol of .123 percent, which is nearly twice the legal limit.
By the following May, Bradshaw was ordered to trial on the six felony counts. In August 2008, after a series of delays and a change of venue to Phelps County, Bradshaw entered the guilty pleas to six felonies. Two months later, he received his punishment, which has drawn the attention of Mothers Against Drunk Driving's southwest Missouri region.
MADD staff victim advocate Laura Askew in Springfield, who covers 18 Missouri counties attended the Rolla sentencing.
"I honestly believed that a strict sentence could offer the family some small portion of closure and sense of security knowing that their offender would be incarcerated soon," she wrote in an Oct. 21 letter to Clayton, whose office is in Vienna. Clayton did not respond to a written request from the Herald for comment.
Askew, a native of Howell County, said she was flabbergasted with the judge's decision in the Phelps County courtroom. "It was quite a shock," she said. In her four years in the post, she has only seen one similar outcome.
Askew ended the letter to the judge with a question: "My question to you, honorable Judge Clayton is, how much longer will our courts allow those who are guilty of vehicular homicide/manslaughter/assault to hide behind hollow words and minimal sentences."

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Judged:

Aww danget...it didn't post right! Gosh darnet!

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Very Sad

Plattsburg, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

I was asked to post this for someone that knew Ryan.
Ryan was very well liked by his classmates.School was a second home for him. For some reason the school adminstartion would not allow Ryan to be in other classes with his clasmates or be a part of the other school organizations. They (School Adm treated him as a seocnd class person).
One of his daily duties was to haul the heavy trash cans to the dumpster becuase the janitors did not want to. Kinda sorry that a adult man needs a 15 year old school boy to do his work for him.
Please

Winona, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

Please respect this family and the terrible loss they've suffered. Please pray for their broken hearts. Please don't disrespect their memories of their loved ones. Please don't add to their pain. They have been through enough.
so sad

Raymondville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

I guess that the Judge has never had to go to someone's home and tell them that their loved ones have been killed by a drunk driver. Maybe he should do a ride along with the HP when they have to do that. I have seen this Judge in action. Don't know how he got to be a judge much less a lawyer.
Just know that a higher power will make Mr Bradshaw pay and I hope that the judge or his family never meets him on the road while he is drunk and it sounds like it will happen again.
sad people

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

This has nothing to do with anderson. As for Ryan not being in classes and all that well I knew his teachers and they were very good to him. He is not the only one at the school who 'helps out'. It is like a work study program. For like an hour of so a day they help out in a certain area. If he was in special classes it was because he needed to be to better help him to learn. Get a life and quit using this innocent family to bitch about Anderson and the school. There are already plenty of forums for that.

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Why does every post on this site end up bad mouthing Mike Anderson?
Hello Sucks

Licking, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

Hello has a personal vendetta and obviously no RESPECT! I am sorry for the family's loss. May god be with you! I went to school with Justin and I know first hand he was always on drugs or drunk. Maybe this changed his life, sad that it took the death of two innocent children. I am sure he has problems living with his self he was not heartless just misguided!
Very Sad

Plattsburg, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

sad people wrote:
This has nothing to do with anderson. As for Ryan not being in classes and all that well I knew his teachers and they were very good to him. He is not the only one at the school who 'helps out'. It is like a work study program. For like an hour of so a day they help out in a certain area. If he was in special classes it was because he needed to be to better help him to learn. Get a life and quit using this innocent family to bitch about Anderson and the school. There are already plenty of forums for that.
The few teachers that Ryan was allowed to have did a good job the post was that the adminstration would not allow Ryan to be a normal kid. I know he really would do anything for anybody the best heart one can find.
The point was why could not Ryan enjoy his classmates that most loved him. The Adm sepreated him and made him haul trash for the lazy jantior that is related to Crow and Hood.
We are Americans everyone gets a chance in life not to be discounted as a teenager that you did not fit with the fix.
God knows these people that mistreated Ryan at school and God wil do his job as allways it may just take a little time.
Important fact the driver that hit them has concetions with the school that Ryan and his sisters attended.

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Now I know several kids that liked to help put the janitors/maintenance workers. They even had a summer program just for that. It wasn't that they were forced to. I graduated a while ago so I didn't know Ryan at all to know if he was one of those though.
Very Sad

Plattsburg, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

Gal from the Lick wrote:
Now I know several kids that liked to help put the janitors/maintenance workers. They even had a summer program just for that. It wasn't that they were forced to. I graduated a while ago so I didn't know Ryan at all to know if he was one of those though.
The programs for these kids were free labor kinda like slaves. That sound harsh but think about it... if you were 15 and weigh 120 pounds doing work for so called school credit for a 40 year old adult that is getting paid for watching Ryan doing that job, not in my book folks. EVERY KID NEEDS A Chance in Life.
The dust under the rug the janitor and rehired bus driver family that have connections at the school thats why its only 120 days. Ask around town.
wow

Plattsburg, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

I cant believe you people couldnt just leave this as a memorial for two children.

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

I don't think this ever started out as a memorial. I think it started out because they were mad that Justin is getting off easy!
Simply Not True

Mexico, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

I was one of Ryan's teachers. Very sadly, what "VERY SAD" said is simply not true. Ryan had an IEP and had to have one-on-one instruction in order to learn. He was mainstreamed in PE and other classes where he could be successful. His family shared how proud Ryan was to be able to contribute and be a part of the community by assisting the custodians, and the custodians LOVED Ryan as did all the staff and most of the students. He was a sweet, sweet boy who will be greatly missed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of38
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Licking Forum right now

Search the Licking Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 7 min Dawg Rules 92,021
Lol 3 hr Horse of another color 4
tamra higgins 6 hr Joe 1
mary chsmbers 7 hr Abc123 1
Veronica (Aug '13) 9 hr Looser 38
Drug bust licking 9 hr wannder 19
Cheyenne Mourning (May '13) Mon OMG 58
•••
•••
•••
•••

Licking Jobs

•••