Deaths of two inmates at Licking pris...

Deaths of two inmates at Licking prison being investigated

There are 70 comments on the Springfield News Leader story from Apr 18, 2007, titled Deaths of two inmates at Licking prison being investigated. In it, Springfield News Leader reports that:

“There's still some more things to do, but (the inspector general's investigation) is wrapping up. ... We want to make sure we do a very thorough and very accurate investigation.”

State prison officials are investigating the apparently unrelated deaths of two inmates, two days apart, at the South Central Correctional Center in Licking. via Springfield News Leader

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Springfield News Leader.

Since: Oct 09

Plattsburg, MO

#42 Nov 10, 2009
azdan wrote:
<quoted text>Hi my name is Dan I work for the sheriff's dept in AZ as a D.O. I am thinking of moving to MO and i'm looking into working at sccc, I would lov to talk to your husband to get some info on the prison before I get to far in the job process.
DAN i work there it is a really good place to work as far as co workers and most of the custody staff...its just that the administration are such hug a thugs that they come up with these stupid rules almost every day and you dont ever know which one is in place.but if you are moving around the licking area i highly suggest trying it out
LOL

United States

#43 Nov 10, 2009
Dan,

Your chances of getting on , finding better housing, and more resources are better in Jefferson City. The rent may be alittle more but there are alot of outlining areas that are rural like licking. Added bonus is that the turn over for 3 Prisons in that area are better than down here. JCCC, Algoa, and Fulton are pretty decent Camps with Administrations that know what time it is and have no problem telling the staff or convicts how it is, and how it will be. At the JCCC the staff have pretty much BEEN THERE DONE THAT, so they are fairly laid back, but take thier job seriously. Good Luck
spiffy

Saint Louis, MO

#44 Nov 14, 2009
i know a few prison guards there they are always shootin their mouth off- about how they treat the prisoners big bad-control freaks by the way -what is the hole?
Greg Record

Saint Robert, MO

#45 Nov 14, 2009
Administrative Segregation. It is where they are separated from general population for their safety or the safety of others. There is single cell confinement if they have done something real bad, or suicidel, or two man cells. They only leave their cells for three hours a week for exercise, and that is in a small fenced area outside.
EX-CO

United States

#46 Nov 15, 2009
bulletinmancom How many people have died this year in prison in the state of Misery? Too many that is how many. The criminals are running the prisons, they all wear uniforms...
If you had a brain you would shoot yourself.
lol

Lawson, MO

#47 Dec 19, 2009
u guys ought to be thanking officers that tried to save this mans life and that protect the public from murders and childmolesters... Instead u pick apart officers and guards...
Cheri howell

Ozark, MO

#48 Nov 16, 2010
I know someone in prison that did a plea bargain,most believe he should have went to trial so the truth would come out,i believe a person can only take so much and be pushed into actions that they normally wouldnt do!!
r u kidding me

Osceola, MO

#49 Nov 16, 2010
Heather wrote:
You gotta be kidding me..Is everyone so not aware that the majority of inmates/offenders that have died/got shanked an killed in prisons could a been so prevented IF we had CO's an White shirts that were doin there jobs as they should be doin...BUT NO there not..matter of the facts an Stats..the CO's an white shirts are the ones that instigate it an then turn ther heads an walk away while its happening...BS ways an acts for sure..and then get this..they write it up as a natural cause..yeah right..natural cause this there ways out of it..so this goes out to all the CO's n white shirts..."what goes around..ALWAYS comes around!!
have you ever been in a jail or prison? apparently not, because if you were then you would know that they are loaded with cameras!! it wouldn't matter if the guards turned their backs or not..it would be caught on camera! another thing..the last i knew is that a coroner determines the cause of death not a jail guard! you people need to get a grip on reality! my brother is in a florida prison right now and will be for the next 4 years and let me tell ya..missouri jails and prisons have nothing on a florida prison! the inmates here should be extremely thankful that they are here and not there! i take strong offense to all the accusations made against guards..you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about! you are on here slurring every guard and making them all look bad! if you have a problem with any guard then put single that guards name out...don't put them as a whole! i have family members on both sides of the law..members of law enforcement and law breakers! i'm here to tell you for an absolute fact that not one of my family members in law enforcement are crooked, abusive, mean, dirty, etc! the bottom line is if it is so bad to be in jail or prison..don't break the law! these offenders are obviously adults and should no right from wrong..if they don't then their parents are to blame..not anyone else!
really

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

#50 Nov 17, 2010
Many times it is one guard watching 250+ inmates. The guards can't see them all, all the time. If you want the inmates to be watched better, then maybe you should ask to pay more taxes, so the state can hire more guards. if you are not willing to do that, then I would like to hear your solution to the problem, instead of you just complaining. When you take a bunch of societies criminals and put them all together, you are going to times when they do harm to each other. They will find a way no matter how well they are watched!
prison guard

Columbia, MO

#51 Jan 3, 2011
your husband choose to work there so if your that stupid to think everyone in there is a murderer or baby rapist then your stupid ass should be there!
people such as your self are just [email protected] retarded, you need to know what your talking about before you speak stupid b!@#h
mom

Saint Louis, MO

#52 Jan 3, 2011
my son died in this prison from a drug over dose that I am sure was obtained by the gaurds. Working on proving it.
Come on

Cameron, MO

#53 Jan 3, 2011
mom wrote:
my son died in this prison from a drug over dose that I am sure was obtained by the gaurds. Working on proving it.
Your son should not have been doing the drugs to begin with.....on the other hand blaming others is usually what people tend to do. Who is to say you did not sneak it into him some how?
mom

Saint Louis, MO

#54 Feb 3, 2011
I have never been to the prison, as a matter of fact he had not a single visitor while there. I also have never used a drug in my life, and it is my belief that the employees of the prison are the biggest offenders.
Just a CO

Dixon, MO

#55 Feb 3, 2011
Make sure you check his "books" to see if he had paid anyone for the drugs. Often they buy them from other offenders who have them snuck in to the prison by family members, and/or their many girlfriends/fiance's,(yes i have seen a wife and girlfriend show up at the same time for a visit and seen the inmate decline the visit all together because they did not know about each other) and/or the work release inmates. Cover all your bases "mom". It sadly may be staff but it also may not be staff. Get all the facts before you go accusing someone because reputations and lives are at stake with serious allegations such as this.
mtn top

United States

#56 Feb 3, 2011
Just a CO wrote:
Make sure you check his "books" to see if he had paid anyone for the drugs. Often they buy them from other offenders who have them snuck in to the prison by family members, and/or their many girlfriends/fiance's,(yes i have seen a wife and girlfriend show up at the same time for a visit and seen the inmate decline the visit all together because they did not know about each other) and/or the work release inmates. Cover all your bases "mom". It sadly may be staff but it also may not be staff. Get all the facts before you go accusing someone because reputations and lives are at stake with serious allegations such as this.
Its so easy to blame someone else.Shame on her.Her son must have been a drug addict.Why did she not visit him since he seems so important to her.Could be $$$$$$$$??
mom

Saint Louis, MO

#57 Feb 4, 2011
Yea, I understand. He didnt have any money on the books to buy drugs or anything for that matter. And to mtn top, It isnt about money at all, it is about having employees in our prisons who dont contribute to the drug problems in the prisons.
If you take a position like that of a prison employee it is your duty to help keep things like drugs out of the prison, not bring them in!
Over the years my son had had drug problems as most prisoners do, however he had been in various prisons in the state ( as they move them around ) and we had visited him at the other prisons where he was doing well, his weight was normal, his mind was straight. He had been in for 10 years. Suddenly one night you get the call that he has had a lethal dose of heroine. Autopsy shows one single needle mark, not tracks or any other signs that he had been using. Could have been suiside perhaps, although they didnt list it that way, however I still must ask where did he get one single lethal dose of heroine with no money or visitors??? As his mother I have to ask! As to the comment that I only care about money that is an absolute untruth, if we are going to incarcerate people then we should have a responsibility for not only their safety but also to at least try to rehabilitate, our prison system does neither! I just hope and pray that another mother doesnt have to recieve that call, but sadly there will be more. What is wrong with holding the employees who do break the law responsible??? I pay his wages as well as you.
Greg Record

Osceola, MO

#58 Feb 4, 2011
I am sorry you lost a son "Mom". However, saying you think the guards did it, without any proof, or any idea where he got the drugs, will cause people to question your motives.
If he did not do heroin, and tried it for the first time, he may not have known how much was a lethal dose. It may just have been a case of an accidental overdose. Trust me money is not the only form of "currency" in prison. He could have obtained the drugs through any number of arrangements.
You are right, a few Officers have been caught bringing drugs into a prison. I can assure you there have been a lot more family members caught. One thing I can guarantee is, no one will bring in drugs to someone who is not able/going to pay for them, especially an Officer who would be putting his job and lively hood on the line.
I do not have any answers for you "mom" just things to think about before you accuse people of doing something wrong.
to much thought

United States

#61 Feb 6, 2011
I believe we interview someone prior to placing them in prison. And if they seem intelgient and remorseful we put them in regular prison. If they could careless about what they did and are waitin g to get out and do more crimes we send them to a special prison. In special prison food is droped off once a week thrown over a wall or some how lowered to them and no guards on the inside just on the out side to keep the crimnals in. Other supplies would be thrown in weekly. This way we are giving these special criminals what they want. Their own special society where only they control their destiny.If someone wants to come and visit one of these prisoners they enter at their own risk.Also i disagree star from ottumwa,IA not anyone can end up in prison.Only we as adults are in total control of the decisions we make in life that put us in bad situations that take us down the wrong path.
Angel boy

United States

#62 Feb 6, 2011
Bulletinman wrote:
How many people have died this year in prison in the state of Misery? Too many that is how many. The criminals are running the prisons, they all wear uniforms...
Well how many people died in Missouri.Many people die every day.Just because you are in prison does not mean you will not die and if you do its a gaurd's fault.Thats just silly.The gaurds probably don't have much respect for the prisoners as they get urine and feces slung at them all the times.Much less plotting to kill them.Prisoners are criminals,they have broken laws more than once.They are there because of lack of morals.So they need to stop whining and do the time.They let them out and most of them turn around and do the same stinking things again.I must add that I am NOT a gaurd's friend or family member.In fact I don't know any of these people.Just trying to post some common sense.GET IT !
Hey mom

Arnold, MO

#63 Feb 6, 2011
mom wrote:
Yea, I understand. He didnt have any money on the books to buy drugs or anything for that matter. And to mtn top, It isnt about money at all, it is about having employees in our prisons who dont contribute to the drug problems in the prisons.
If you take a position like that of a prison employee it is your duty to help keep things like drugs out of the prison, not bring them in!
Over the years my son had had drug problems as most prisoners do, however he had been in various prisons in the state ( as they move them around ) and we had visited him at the other prisons where he was doing well, his weight was normal, his mind was straight. He had been in for 10 years. Suddenly one night you get the call that he has had a lethal dose of heroine. Autopsy shows one single needle mark, not tracks or any other signs that he had been using. Could have been suiside perhaps, although they didnt list it that way, however I still must ask where did he get one single lethal dose of heroine with no money or visitors??? As his mother I have to ask! As to the comment that I only care about money that is an absolute untruth, if we are going to incarcerate people then we should have a responsibility for not only their safety but also to at least try to rehabilitate, our prison system does neither! I just hope and pray that another mother doesnt have to recieve that call, but sadly there will be more. What is wrong with holding the employees who do break the law responsible??? I pay his wages as well as you.
Maybe he was sucking dick for heroin since he didnt have any cash. I hear stories all the time about CO's using their own money to obtain heroin out on the streets, risking their jobs and freedom to smuggle the heroin into prison so they can give it to prisoners for free like they did for your son. Oh, wait, no I havent, because that makes no sense. Youre an idiot. You pay that CO's salary? How much do you pay him? Do you writehim a check or pay him in cash? Thats what I thought, that CO pays the same taxes as you jackass. You should post your name so the rest of the socal norm can make it a point to avoid all contact with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Licking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
crazy in licking 3 hr This is true 21
Storms Antique Mall and tea room 6 hr Wondering 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Missouri (... (Oct '10) Thu Guest 939
Bed bugs and lice at the school wtf!!!!!! Mar 21 rdcow 17
Anybody having issues with Centurylink internet? (Mar '12) Mar 20 Don 57
12841 cadle rd (Jul '16) Mar 6 Hello 9
Kirk barnes is a lying low life (Oct '14) Feb 24 ubad 6

Licking Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Licking Mortgages