Deaths of two inmates at Licking pris...

Deaths of two inmates at Licking prison being investigated

There are 64 comments on the Springfield News Leader story from Apr 18, 2007, titled Deaths of two inmates at Licking prison being investigated. In it, Springfield News Leader reports that:

“There's still some more things to do, but (the inspector general's investigation) is wrapping up. ... We want to make sure we do a very thorough and very accurate investigation.”

State prison officials are investigating the apparently unrelated deaths of two inmates, two days apart, at the South Central Correctional Center in Licking. via Springfield News Leader

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Springfield News Leader.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jan 07

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Apr 20, 2007
it is about time they do through investigations on apparent suicides, that is if it was a suicide.
Bulletinman

United States

#3 May 16, 2007
How many people have died this year in prison in the state of Misery? Too many that is how many. The criminals are running the prisons, they all wear uniforms...
citizen of licking

Columbia, MO

#4 May 25, 2007
How would you like to work with murderers and baby rapers day in and day out? My husband is an officer in this very prison and he has to deal with these very people who are unfit for society. He puts his life on the line every single day. I suggest you think about that the next time you step up on your soapbox.
Bulletinman wrote:
How many people have died this year in prison in the state of Misery? Too many that is how many. The criminals are running the prisons, they all wear uniforms...
past citizen of licking

Tulsa, OK

#5 May 30, 2007
My hats off to anyone that can stand to work in this society that isnt a society fit for human life, I say they did the crime and they must do the time, I am glad that we have brave people that are willing to go to work each day to make sure these criminals dont do what they used to do, if they are complaining about the way things are in the prisons, they should have thought twice about the crime before they did it and I dont wanna hear "I didnt do it" or "but he is innocent" yeah right! They are IN prison because they BELONG in prison, and they are not the ones paying for it, the families and especially the children are paying for it, cuz they lost a parent! I dont feel a bit sorry for them if they dont have cable and if they dont have what they "want" too damn bad!
past citizen of licking

Tulsa, OK

#6 May 30, 2007
Im sorry that people are dying in prisons but every time and I DO mean everytime a death is brought up in prison, it's automatic that one of the guards did it, or that it was someone elses fault, these prisoners are depressed and they feel that they have nothing else. I have no pity for them but I do feel that they are entitled to some counceling while they are there.
yvonne

Gloucester, VA

#7 Jun 3, 2007
because the guards could careless about them men or woman in prison.Its like thay could do anything thay want with them and its so bad because thay cant say anything about it because there not going to listen to them,Because thay look down on them like there (Dogs)there all have feeling still and there all human just like them..
star

Dallas, NC

#8 Jun 7, 2007
I totally agree with your comment, I am an ex officer myself, these guards careless about these inmate failing to realise that inmate are people too. we are not there to judge them as they say at the academy, they did their crime,let them do their time. what people fail to realise is any one can go to jail,There was an officer that went to jail in Jefferson city, mo for molesting his daughter,so is he any different from the inmate that are in prison? any one can go to jail, it could be for anything minor that you least expect, you never know, we are people and people make mistakes every day. who are we to judge? they have been judge, we are not here to judge them, let them do their time. during my time as a CO,I came across an inmate that was doing time for going into some one eles house and started cooking a meal in some one's house when the owner came home and find him there he called the police insted of taking him into a mental institution they sentence him to 8 years in jail, this man literally was eating his feaces and end up pulling his eye ball. that tells you this man belongs to a mental insttution and not prison, the officers go in there and treat these prisoners like they are Dogs, if the judge has handed them their sentences, who are we to judge them? us as society and the government are not helping these guys into any type of rehabilitation that's why they keep going back to jail because when they get out of jail,no one wants to hire them because of their criminal background. so lets stop playing the blame game and fight for some type of spiritual help for these guys maybe the crime will lessen insted of building more prison.build more building that offer them trades.
yvonne wrote:
because the guards could careless about them men or woman in prison.Its like thay could do anything thay want with them and its so bad because thay cant say anything about it because there not going to listen to them,Because thay look down on them like there (Dogs)there all have feeling still and there all human just like them..
star

Dallas, NC

#9 Jun 7, 2007
Adding on to the last post, most of the officers in D.O.C are there to make free money doing nothing but walk around all day talking crazy and harrasing female employee, they the ones that are robing the state, it's free money and less work,and corrupt C.O'S
yvonne wrote:
BETTY

Cameron, MO

#10 Jun 8, 2007
star wrote:
Adding on to the last post, most of the officers in D.O.C are there to make free money doing nothing but walk around all day talking crazy and harrasing female employee, they the ones that are robing the state, it's free money and less work,and corrupt C.O'S
<quoted text>
FREE, NO WAY........

“The Truth”

Since: Aug 07

Festus/Crystal City

#11 Aug 6, 2007
If there were no prison guards would there be no prisons? What do prison guards and prisoners have in common? Their pyschological profile!
Roxanne

AOL

#12 Dec 5, 2007
Why I admit if you do the crime, you do the time. How would you feel if your 19 year old son, with a nonviolent crime was sentenced to a max security for the length of his sentence? His sentence for property damage was more than for taking a human life!

Justice anyone?
Whatever

United States

#13 Dec 5, 2007
Right I know someone who got in trouble for Bad Checks Felony Probation and got caught at his dad's house where there was a gun.(His dying dad) and is now in jail until 2018. I know people who have done much worse that are in and out! He will serve it all Federal offense Federal prison Ridiculous right? He did not have the money for a lawyer so had a public defender guess that is why he couldn't get less! Yes he done the crime but c'mon!
too bad so sad

Festus, MO

#14 Dec 5, 2007
I am saddened that an offender died. I am always saddened when someone dies. BUT, it is not ALWAYS someone elses fault. And in several of the prison cases, it is the OFFENDERS who KILL other offenders. We, as staff, attempt to prevent it. I spend a good deal of every day determining if an offender is in danger. I get NO appreciation for my efforts, just a lot of complaining if I place them in protective custody.
Now, I do not believe that that murders that occur in prison are "just innocent victims" most of the time. In most cases it is because the offender decided to buy drugs, use drugs, visit the "store man" or be an ass to the wrong guy. This means that the offender will have to pay to save himself. And if he does not, usually the payment is required sexual favors or being assaulted. And the debt NEVER goes away.
As for the "natural causes" deaths most of them are offenders who have been ill for quite some time either from some form of hepatis or AIDS or blood pressure or diabetes. And given the lifestyle they have lived and not cared for their health conditions, it is very likely they will die rather early in life EVEN if they are living in society. Perhaps they live longer in prison because they ARE receiving treatment and medication and care, but odds are they have abused their bodies long enough that the body abuses back.
NOW, I do know that not ALL prison deaths are NOT the fault of staff, but please don't categorize ALL of as our fault.
Thanks.
Heather

De Soto, KS

#15 Dec 7, 2007
You gotta be kidding me..Is everyone so not aware that the majority of inmates/offenders that have died/got shanked an killed in prisons could a been so prevented IF we had CO's an White shirts that were doin there jobs as they should be doin...BUT NO there not..matter of the facts an Stats..the CO's an white shirts are the ones that instigate it an then turn ther heads an walk away while its happening...BS ways an acts for sure..and then get this..they write it up as a natural cause..yeah right..natural cause this there ways out of it..so this goes out to all the CO's n white shirts..."what goes around..ALWAYS comes around!!
Heather

De Soto, KS

#16 Dec 7, 2007
Whatever wrote:
Right I know someone who got in trouble for Bad Checks Felony Probation and got caught at his dad's house where there was a gun.(His dying dad) and is now in jail until 2018. I know people who have done much worse that are in and out! He will serve it all Federal offense Federal prison Ridiculous right? He did not have the money for a lawyer so had a public defender guess that is why he couldn't get less! Yes he done the crime but c'mon!
I SO agree on what you said..this happens all the time..a good person gets sent to prison for very unjustified acts an ways..then that person has to become someone he or she isnt..by just tryin to survive in side those walls...JUSTICE n our systems are so NOT fair an right..I just hope someday we get some one in political postions that can see this an do something about it all
Highwayp

Sullivan, MO

#17 Dec 14, 2007
This is a fairly new faculty, and when they started to except prisoner's the facility was free of drugs, weapons, or anything contraband. How do these items get into the facility? Do the guards check anyone or do they bring the stuff themselves?
It seems to me that as a guard I would work as hard as I could to keep the contraband out for my own safety. After hundreds of years of incarcerating our fellow man we know what they are capable of in the way of inventing weapons, drugs, have the people we trust to keep us safe from the prisoners became the ones we have to worry about because of their slack and ineffective way of doing their jobs?
The officers who deal with these offender on the street one on one do not let their guard down or place them in jail carrying weapon's. So as NASA said one time "we have a problem Licking."
booger

Sullivan, MO

#18 Dec 15, 2007
most of you are real retards "tinytot" "bulletinman" etc. if they kept all the weapons out of prison then how would all the inmates that deserved to die anyway be taken care of. the law isnt strict enough on certain crimes, its pretty bad when the guards and inmates have to be the ones giving justice to these sickos.
local girl

Lawson, MO

#19 Dec 16, 2007
booger wrote:
if they kept all the weapons out of prison then how would all the inmates that deserved to die anyway be taken care of....its pretty bad when the guards and inmates have to be the ones giving justice to these sickos.
It's plainly obvious that neither you or Highwayp have any idea what you are talking about! Unfortunately, it's true that some bad staff carry things in to inmates but 99.9% of the contraband comes from the inmates themselves. They have nothing but time on their hands and people would be SHOCKED to know that the majority of their weapons are made from simple items such as soap, hardened toilet paper, cheap ink pens and the like. They are pretty ingenuous when it comes to making shanks.

As for drugs it is a shame that inmate family members will jeopardize prison time to smuggle drugs into a prison. When they do not only are they committing a felony, but they are putting alot of innocent (staff) lives in jeopardy.

Unfortunately there are a few bad seeds who should never be allowed to work in a prison. However the vast majority of the people who do are good people and take their job very seriously. They strive every minute of every day to protect the public, fellow staff members and the inmates and should not be lumped in with those who don't.

As for the officers who work the streets, they have a difficult job to do as well and should be commended for the job they do. But walk into a maximum security prison with a population of 1500+ felons and you gain a whole different attitude for those who keep the inmates inside the fence day after day.

It's nothing at all like you see on TV believe me!
Disom

Rolla, MO

#20 Dec 28, 2007
First of all, there are people posting that claim to be correctional officers; and they obviously are not! They show through their typing and vocabulary usage that their education is that of a high school drop out (Star). Second of all, the prisoners are Murderers and Child molesters! They are not human beings like us. In fact, the only common factor is that they're human! They have a different mind set than you or me. There is an imaginary line that we know not to cross. These prisoners, however, are able to KILL, RAPE, and Steal with ease, like it's no big deal! C.O.s do risk their lives dealing with these animals daily! It is easy to talk trash about them, but without them, your wife would be Raped and killed; and your children would be molested. Think about that for a moment. Unless you've lost someone in a horrific way, then you can't relate! You should not post comments mocking prison workers, because they work in HELL! If you think they are too harsh or they don't care enough, then go get a job as a C.O. and change things, yea... that's what I thought!
Heather

Clinton, MO

#21 Jan 9, 2008
So what if they are in there they are in there for a reason people just dont get put in prison there are sick people in there

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Licking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
daronda overby 5 hr jim dope 2
Sherill Township Aug 25 For Real 2
toni friend Aug 25 toni sellman pain 1
Anybody having issues with Centurylink internet? (Mar '12) Aug 25 SMS 54
Toni Sellman?? A lesbian?? Mother owns Sheliahs?? Aug 24 Tonis Friend 4
Irene Williams (Oct '13) Aug 23 DoubleD 20
New owner out at shieliahs Aug 23 Witness 6

Licking Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance