Tourist

United States

#1 Dec 14, 2013
This may not be the place to ask But just wanting to get information On Reeds Cabins & Fly Shop. Is it part of the State Park? Owned by the state?
Helpful

United States

#2 Dec 17, 2013
Reeds is privately owned. It is not a part of the state park. Just conveniently located :)
Time traveler

Cameron, MO

#3 Jan 23, 2014
I go there a lot The cabins are ok if you don't want five star lodging, 3 star is about what you get, The owner (the lady) is kind of rude and if you want information on the fishing she has not know a thing about it. She told me once she has never fished in her life. LOL! But she has a guy that works the store that is great at leading you to catch trout.
I heard she hired a local kid to work the store also, I have found out that if you are going to go on a weekend and need tips on the fishing call the store during the week and talk to the guy because he is not working weekends,( That sucks!) All in all the prices on tackle is better than the lodge, and has 10 times more fly's and tackle than anyone around. She has a good selection of fly tying stuff, but you have to know what you want because the lady can not tell you what you need to tie a pattern. This was a very much needed tackle store at Montauk I have always wondered how people who have no Idea about a sport can set a shop up as well as it is.
Timber Man

Ozark, MO

#4 Feb 25, 2014
I know that the woman who owns it can out cuss the best of them. filthy mouthed all the time, The guy's are pretty nice the young guy will give the people he knows a huge discount on stuff, All of them need to dress like professionals, Sometimes they look like they just came in from the barn yard. But it's a great shop that was needed at Montauk and has good prices and great to deal with.
townman

Ozark, MO

#5 May 11, 2014
Timber Man wrote:
I know that the woman who owns it can out cuss the best of them. filthy mouthed all the time, The guy's are pretty nice the young guy will give the people he knows a huge discount on stuff, All of them need to dress like professionals, Sometimes they look like they just came in from the barn yard. But it's a great shop that was needed at Montauk and has good prices and great to deal with.
The woman is fowl mouth and nasty! Treats people bad!!
samiches

Wentzville, MO

#6 Nov 3, 2016
While making reservations, the lady on the phone was not exactly cordial. I felt as though she(Kelly) couldn't get me off the phone fast enough. My wife and daughter were with me when we arrived about 30 minutes prior to dusk in late October. Not a single light or sign indicating where to chech-in. There were signs for "The Barn" and "Tackle Shop". Luckily, there were two other cabins with people in them and one of them called the property manager. She told them to tell me that she left the key in an envelope taped to the office door. I asked where the office was and the others said they guessed that she meant the tackle shop. We were in cabin 5. Of the 8 or so duplexes, she had us in the only one with other occupants. I called her, requesting one of the cabins that were clearly vacant simply for privacy. She was EXTREMELY rude on the phone and said she would be over in a minute. As she approached us, she started yelling at me when she was still 75 FEET AWAY. I tried to explain that all I was asking for was privacy if privacy could be had, but I couldn't finish a sentence due to her constant interruptions and yelling. She also yelled at us that the "policy" of putting the key on the door to the office was on stated on the website. It isn't...I checked. Even if it were, should you ever yell and swear at a guest because they didn't read it? We ended up taking cabin 5 and she ended up moving the couple in cabin 6 to cabin 7, an identical cabin to #5, except for the adjoining door. I had already told her an adjoining door made no difference to me one way or the other. It turns out the other couple were friends of hers and she relocated THEM to a nicer cabin(the couple's words, not mine).
We walked in and immediately smelled the mustiness mixed with pet odor. We unloaded our gear and took our shoes off. The dirty floor felt like a porch at a beach-house with sand on it. We swept the floor before we could even unpack. The air conditioner's temp control was completely hosed. We had to turn it down to the low 60's to get a response from it, then it would stay on until the room was 56 degrees....yes 56 degrees...we went outside first thing in the morning to warm up. The bed was EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE, providing the worst sleep I've had in 15 years...yes, the bed was THAT BAD. The sheets had stains on them that were a little suspicious and one bed had long black hairs on it...none of us have black hair. The plastic drinking glasses were cracked, but I didn't find this out until I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink when it leaked water all over me. Only two coffee cups in a room designed for 4 people. Started to make breakfast, only to find the utensils were FILTHY, FILTHY, FILTHY. Food was still there from previous guests. If it wasn't dirty, it was damaged. The spatula had been heat damaged by a previous guest and was completely useless. There were obvious signs of water damage throughout the cabin, undoubtedly causing the musty odor.
We were going to hang a hammock in the trees about 15 feet from cabin door, but found LOTS and LOTS of POISON IVY!!!! So much for that... I know, it is in nature, but they should have some sort of control so close to the cabins....or warning signs. Luckily, I can spot poison ivy a mile away, so we didn't get it.
Needless to say, this place is a huge joke, has the rudest, most abrasive management known to man and could not care less about the quality of your stay. We will never, never, never be back there and will make sure we tell all everyone we know to stay away from them. It would not be worth the money even at 1/3 the price. There are other cabins nearby that are a MUCH nicer, cheaper, and with friendly managers/hosts. Stay away unless you enjoy dealing with white trash management.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Licking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
crazy in licking 16 hr Smarter than 5th ... 20
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Missouri (... (Oct '10) Thu Guest 939
Bed bugs and lice at the school wtf!!!!!! Mar 21 rdcow 17
Anybody having issues with Centurylink internet? (Mar '12) Mar 20 Don 57
12841 cadle rd (Jul '16) Mar 6 Hello 9
Kirk barnes is a lying low life (Oct '14) Feb 24 ubad 6
Scrap Feb '17 Amanda 1

Licking Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Licking Mortgages