Jimmy Quinney a freaking hero in Berk...

Jimmy Quinney a freaking hero in Berks County, PA !!!!!

Posted in the Liberty Forum

Joe Conway

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#1 Sep 30, 2006
All Jimmy Quinney wanted to do was sleep after he checked into a motel near Shartlesville early Friday.
But that didn’t keep him from rushing to the rescue of a driver who became trapped in the burning wreckage of a truck on Interstate 78, not far from the motel’s parking lot.
The driver’s tractor-trailer had slammed into the rear of another rig that was parked along the westbound shoulder about 2:30 in Upper Bern Township.
Quinney, 34, of Liberty, S.C., had driven from North Carolina, hauling a trailer full of rodeo bulls for this weekend’s bull-riding shows at the Sovereign Center. When the crash occurred, he said, he was walking back to the Dutch Motel after retrieving items from the trailer.
Quinney said he could see that both rigs were on fire as he raced toward the highway.
“Once that truck hit, both of them were already engulfed in flames,” he recalled later.“There was so much fire, I was thinking this guy (in the rear vehicle) is dead or burning up alive.”
But the flames didn’t deter Quinney from climbing into the damaged cab and pulling out driver Winston Rosa, 29, Bronx, N.Y.
Rosa was taken by ambulance to Reading Hospital, where he was listed in good condition Friday night.
“I was trapped and couldn’t get out by myself,” Rosa said when contacted by phone in his hospital room.“The guy who pulled me out, basically he saved my life. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be alive.
“He risked his life to save me.”
The fire left both rigs destroyed. The wreckage forced state police to close both westbound lanes of the highway for about eight hours near the Shartlesville exit, troopers at Hamburg said.
Westbound traffic on I-78 was detoured onto Old Route 22, snarling traffic on that road and surrounding roads.
The other driver, James Leatherman, 59, Keyser, W.Va., was uninjured, troopers said. Seat belt information was not provided.
Troopers said the investigation is continuing.
Quinney gave this account:
He and another man, Delaney Roberts of Tennessee, work for Robinson Bucking Bulls of Mars Hill, N.C. They transported eight bulls from North Carolina to a stable near Shartlesville for appearances in the Professional Bull Riders tour event Friday and tonight at the Sovereign Center.
They arrived in Shartlesville shortly after midnight. After tending to the animals, they pulled up to the motel about 2:15.
After checking in, Quinney walked back to his truck to bring some gear into his room, then soon heard the accident.
After stepping over a low spot in a fence to get onto the highway shoulder, he could see that the driver of the rig that had been struck was not harmed, so he turned his attention to the wrecked cab.
The right side of the truck was crushed toward the driver’s side, and what remained of the front end was on fire.
Quinney could see that Rosa was having difficulty getting out because his leg was caught on something. Quinney couldn’t open the truck’s door, so he climbed through the door window.
He put his arms under Rosa’s and pulled and twisted the driver free.
Quinney said he suffered no injuries himself, but the flames were close enough to singe the hair on one of his arms. He said he later visited Rosa in the hospital.
“He was like,‘I never expected someone to risk their life to help me,’” Quinney said.“I said,‘You don’t have to sit there and thank me because I was always raised to give help when needed.’
“I just try to help someone because I just hope if I was ever in that situation that someone would do the same for me.”
Contact reporter Steven Henshaw [email protected]
Joe Conway

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#2 Sep 30, 2006
Jimmy Quinney a credit to Liberty, S.C. He was tired after driving 10 hours from North Carolina, but he sprang into action to save a guy he didn't even know was still alive. The truck could have blown him into the next life. Take a bow Jimmy!!!!!
I read about this in the Reading Times paper, and thought ya'll should hear about it.
Frankie Lewis

AOL

#3 Feb 15, 2007
Way to go Jimmy! Just browsing threw and found this I went to school with Jimmy! always new you had a heart!
Billy Quinney

Marietta, GA

#4 Apr 11, 2008
Little brothers will do anything for attention
Just kidding realy proud you bro.....
Opie Brooks

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#5 Apr 17, 2008
Good Job Jimmy, I grew up near the Quinneys in Liberty and went to school with his brother Billy who is listed above my post. [email protected]
trazz

United States

#6 Apr 20, 2008
way to go, i remember a Quinney from L.E.S.-very proud of ya
Shannon

Amman, Jordan

#7 Apr 24, 2008
Way to go Jimmy! Being raised in Liberty really makes us all better people! In emergencies, our real personalities come out. Jimmy you always were a hero!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police: Booster Club leader misused funds (Apr '08) Apr 24 Lookinthe mirror 14
Local Politics Do you approve of Larry Bagwell as Mayor? Apr 17 Ann Thomas 2
News Pickens schools cut taxes (Aug '06) Apr 17 Ann Thomas 2
Places for rent around Easley Apr 11 Jskaggs213 1
Looking for wooded land Feb '17 J N S 1
Roy D Shepherd (Feb '12) Feb '17 Info 2
the music thread (Mar '12) Jan '17 Musikologist 24

Liberty Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Liberty Mortgages