first people in casey co.

Posted in the Liberty Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
caseycounty411

Lexington, KY

#1 May 6, 2008
Does anyone know who some of the first families in Casey Co were? Anything neat that happened here, like did the James brothers ever come thru here...etc..

Since: Apr 08

Liberty

#2 May 6, 2008
it is sad I don't know alot about our County's History, but I did see a site where you can ask questions about Casey County, Kentucky, if you don't get the answers you are looking for maybe try there :)
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam...

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#3 May 6, 2008
The History of Casey County books at the Library are full of all sorts of information...original settlers, old court records and tax documentations..all kinds of interesting facts. I can spend hours reading through them!
caseycounty411

Lexington, KY

#4 May 6, 2008
well thanks...I love reading the history too. I just thought maybe someone would have some interesting stories of their own. I seen the topic on here about famous people in casey county..I really enjoyed reading it, but it kinda died. Isnt there a place somewhere that you can go and see old photos like when the roads were dirt? This is a nice PEACEFUL topic......

Location hidden

#5 May 6, 2008
I'm not sure. I have one of the Casey Co History books around here somewhere that I bought many years ago at the Apple Festival. I will see if I can find it and maybe scan you some information from the book. The Casey News did have an archive but, not sure if that costs anything or not. In case you don't have it...www.caseynews.net If I find anything I will let you know.
Old Jail house

Campbellsville, KY

#6 May 6, 2008
I know u are prob wanting older information,but i was wondering if anyone knew why they tore down a Landmark.The old Jail House?I havent lived here ,but 8 years,and someone was telling me about it.My husband and i would have opened a restaurant there.Right on the square,and called it the The ole Jail Inn... or something to that effect.Just thought it would have been neat.Could have had like it ,country food,and the History of the jail and all the Jailers, that worked there,and how long each one was in office.With pictures on the wall and ,good jail house stories,from long ago... This place needs some kind of Tourist attraction.There is no Lake or anything.Just wondering why anyone would tear down such an Historical building??The other Detention Center could have been build elsewhere.Oh well its too late now. GONE>
Teacher

Nicholasville, KY

#7 May 6, 2008
caseycounty411 wrote:
Does anyone know who some of the first families in Casey Co were? Anything neat that happened here, like did the James brothers ever come thru here...etc..
I would recommend a trip to the public library. Ask to see the history book written by William Watkins, it's really interesting. Gladys Thomas also wrote one and there is book that has nothing but old pictures in it. I have the one by Mrs. Thomas and the one with the pictures in it. Reminds me I need to show it to my students one day.
caseycounty411

Lexington, KY

#8 May 6, 2008
I appreciate all this. Thats a good idea OLD JAIL HOUSE....I like that....
Teacher

Nicholasville, KY

#9 May 6, 2008
Christopher Riffe was one of the first to settle Casey County. I believe he is buried at the cemetary in Middleburg. I think Abraham Lincoln's grandfather/greatgrandfather also had a landgrant in Casey County. Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens grandfather Col. William Casey was who Casey County was named for. Patsy Riffe was an African American. I also think that maybe the James gang did come through here. At least I've heard or read that they did.
Hello

Nicholasville, KY

#10 May 6, 2008
Old Jail house wrote:
I know u are prob wanting older information,but i was wondering if anyone knew why they tore down a Landmark.The old Jail House?I havent lived here ,but 8 years,and someone was telling me about it.My husband and i would have opened a restaurant there.Right on the square,and called it the The ole Jail Inn... or something to that effect.Just thought it would have been neat.Could have had like it ,country food,and the History of the jail and all the Jailers, that worked there,and how long each one was in office.With pictures on the wall and ,good jail house stories,from long ago... This place needs some kind of Tourist attraction.There is no Lake or anything.Just wondering why anyone would tear down such an Historical building??The other Detention Center could have been build elsewhere.Oh well its too late now. GONE>
Although there isn't much here, there is a lake it is located on Ky West 70 right past the high school. Not very fun though you have to buy a $15.00 lake pass to go to it and you can't swim in it only fish.
BTW, I like this topic hope this thread keeps going.
Go jump in the lake

Campbellsville, KY

#11 May 6, 2008
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Although there isn't much here, there is a lake it is located on Ky West 70 right past the high school. Not very fun though you have to buy a $15.00 lake pass to go to it and you can't swim in it only fish.
BTW, I like this topic hope this thread keeps going.
I meant a real lake thats functional.Your not allowed to do anything free there,i dont think,except LOOK at it.lol Kinda sad.To me a lake is for swimming....Boating ect....You would have thought the kids that jumped in and swam, awhile back,had dumped tanker oil in it.That was just crazy that everyone got so bent out of shape.I know the safety issue,but good Lord ppl.The kids are desperate for fun,and something to do in this county.Jumping in the lake is hardly a bad thing......It was prob the most fun some of them had ever had.!!!!!!!!!They made a memory.Good old time fun.
Hello

Nicholasville, KY

#12 May 6, 2008
Go jump in the lake wrote:
<quoted text>I meant a real lake thats functional.Your not allowed to do anything free there,i dont think,except LOOK at it.lol Kinda sad.To me a lake is for swimming....Boating ect....You would have thought the kids that jumped in and swam, awhile back,had dumped tanker oil in it.That was just crazy that everyone got so bent out of shape.I know the safety issue,but good Lord ppl.The kids are desperate for fun,and something to do in this county.Jumping in the lake is hardly a bad thing......It was prob the most fun some of them had ever had.!!!!!!!!!They made a memory.Good old time fun.
Yeah I have to agree w/ everything you said, it is ashame that we don't have anything for our children to do in this town.
hello

Campbellsville, KY

#13 May 6, 2008
i have herd that casey co. used to be a part of west vergina,it does suck that they have nothing for the kids.what one little park with old stuff no marigoround or nothing.
Old Jail Stories

Lexington, KY

#14 May 6, 2008
Old Jail house wrote:
That would have been really cool, my great -grandfather, Chster Bernard, was jailer there, actually my grandmother has told me all kinds of stories about growing up in the jail, and what it was like to help take care of the jal and inmates back then, They cooked all the meals and did all the laundry and cleanning theirselves, she said it was like they were taking in families to care for, that for the most part there was town drunks, no major criminals and they would all eat together and sit around and tell stories,like a get together, not what you would call or think of as a jail now days, that back then they was way more trustworthy of the inmates so they was allowed alot more privaledges then you would even think of now !!

Location hidden

#15 May 7, 2008
Another place I happened to think of with some old pictures...the new City Hall in Liberty. They have some really neat pictures hanging in there. I do believe they are all in black and white to.

Location hidden

#16 May 7, 2008
I am not sure of the years involved here, but, at one time, my Great-Grandfather was a Judge in Casey County. I do remember hearing stories about how he would take his paper work home at night to my Great-Grandmother because he could not much more than write his name. I always thought that was rather odd. I suppose a lot of people back in that day could not read and write though, it just seemed to me people in that position should have been able to. His name was Thomas Marion Zachary. I can remember my Great-Grandmother, but, I do not remember anything at all about him.
nurse

Lexington, KY

#17 May 7, 2008
The Davenport family came to the area in the 1700s, they are buried at South fork cemetary.From what imformations I can gather they came with a group to form their own church.Southfork church was build in the late 1700s.but dont know if this is related.also one davenport was a revol.war hero. this is just from memory cant find my notes I have on them
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lexington, KY

#18 May 7, 2008
this is really great and i hope their are many more with stories to tell of our history. i will myself go to the library to check this out . thanks

Location hidden

#20 May 7, 2008
lynette wrote:
you might try to old city hall they did have all kinds of records up in the attic..some were water damaged but we use to go there and read them.just ask at the clerks office
Where is the old City Hall? Wasn't it torn down when they built the new Judicial Building?

Since: Apr 08

Mount Sherman, KY

#22 May 8, 2008
The forty-sixth in order of formation, Casey County was created on November 14, 1806, from Lincoln County, and named in honor of Col. William Casey, a Revolutionary War veteran from Virginia who explored the area in 1779. The 435-square-mile county is bordered by Russell, Pulaski, Lincoln, Boyle, Marion, Taylor, and Adair counties. LIBERTY, the county seat, was incorporated in 1830.
Topography varies from dissected uplands to broad valleys with flat-topped ridges. The headwaters of the Green River and the Rolling Fork of the Salt River are the main water sources. Casey's 1850 population of 5,863 included 634 slaves. In 1870 the county produced 95,750 pounds of tobacco and 332,779 bushels of corn. In 1989, 71 percent of the land area was in farms and half of those were in cultivation. Casey ranks thirty-eighth among counties in agricultural receipts from tobacco, corn, hay, livestock, and vegetables. The county's 30,000 apple trees produce one-sixth of the state's crop.
Early settlers arrived in 1779. Henry Quarles received a Virginia land grant for 1,000 acres in 1784. Prior to 1800, thirteen land grants for 3,022 acres were filed. While the population grew slowly, numerous travelers followed two trails across the county that connected Logan's Station at Stanford with settlements on the Green and Barren rivers to the west. The first county court met on May 4, 1807, and among other business, fixed rates on liquor, meals, and lodging at several taverns. Whiskey and brandy were eight cents and twelve cents a half-pint, respectively; breakfast was seventeen cents and dinner twenty-five cents; lodging was six cents a night.
One of the families who settled in the county around 1781 was that of Capt. Abraham Lincoln, the president's grandfather. The Lincolns lived for two and a half years on eight hundred acres on the Green River. The land was sold in 1803 to Christopher Riffe for 400 pounds sterling by Mordecai Lincoln, Captain Lincoln's heir. Another landowner, Enoch Burdett, accumulated 13,000 acres of timberland, and upon his death in 1875, his holdings were sold to Eugene Zimmerman, a Cincinnati businessman. Zimmerman employed three hundred at his mills. In 1879 he built a wooden train track from Kings Mountain to Staffordsville, and in 1884 he organized the CINCINNATI & GREEN RIVER Railway Company. In 1891 when the timber resources were exhausted, he liquidated his holdings. The timber boom and early railroad had little lasting economic impact on the county.
While there are no records of Civil War skirmishes in the county. Casey is credited with producing one-third of the 1st Kentucky Cavalry, recruited by Col. Frank Wolford and Col. Silas Adams, to serve in the Union army. The 1st Cavalry was active in the Battles of Mill Springs, Perryville, and Lebanon. Tennessee. Adams served as state representative and later in the 53d U.S. Congress (1893-95).
Lumber continues in the 1990s to be an important segment of the economy, with five manufacturing firms producing wood products. Eight firms manufacture metal farm gates. Tourism brought in $1 million in 1988. Crude oil production totaled 4,599 barrels in 1989. The Casey County Apple Festival each September features the baking of what is billed as the world's largest apple pie. Casey County's primary transportation route is U.S. 127.
Casey County's population was 12,930 in 1970; 14,818 in 1980; and 14,211 in 1990.
GLADYS C. THOMAS
From The Kentucky Encyclopedia, edited by John Kleber. Copyright 1992.
Webdesign by KyWebmaster

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CASEY CORONERS OFFICE ABUSES (ALLEGED) before 2018 32 min knightwolf 22
I Warned You 1 hr judgenot 18
Swimming Holes (Jun '14) 2 hr swimmer 4
Watching 2 hr lookatme 4
Bruce Jenner 6 hr well 8
Liberty / Casey County 13 hr some girl 4
Looking for long lost friend 20 hr Jersey boy 1
More from around the web

Liberty People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE