Posted in the Liberty Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 09

Maineville, OH

#1 Mar 22, 2009
I was truly sadness by this story.

Union County Coroner Bill Havens said Eric Buttery, 21, was dead at the scene after suffering severe body trauma in the accident, which remains under investigation. Buttery was eastbound on the state highway about 2.5 miles east of Liberty when his vehicle went off the road on the north side of the road, Havens said. Buttery then appeared to have overcorrected, sliding off the highway on the southside and hitting a telephone pole in a side-impact accident, Havens said. The accident occured around 12:30 a.m. and Buttery was the only person in the vehicle, Havens said. The Union County Sheriff's Department was unable to provide any information about the accident on Saturday. Deputy Kirk Bryson, who handled the accident, was scheduled to work Saturday night, but then did not come in, according to 911 dispatch. Reserve officers working Saturday night had no knowledge of the accident and no press release was written on the accident, a dispatcher said. Buttery, who was a former resident of College Corner, Ohio, graduated from Union County High School in 2006. He played on the school's baseball and football teams.. He was a member of the College Corner United Methodist Church and was employed at the Environmental Demolition Group in Covington, Ky.

But this raises more questions then answers for me. I have seen over the past few years my friends getting multiple DWI/DUI as a result of going to OT's (some just this last week). Was Eric intoxicated? And if so, Shouldn't OT's stop selling alcohol to intoxicated kids? I wonder why Deputy Kirk Bryson didn't show up for work that night? Would Eric still be alive if someone was on duty? Who was first on the scene? And how long did it take for police to arrive? Eric's myspace page (which he updated just hours before he died) read this " goin to OT's" Mood was "Grateful" "Feeling great". http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...

This is truly heartbreaking and if it can be prevented again it needs to. If anyone can shed some light on this please do so.
wez

Sun Prairie, WI

#2 Mar 22, 2009
The wreck occured on Friday night around 12:30 it said SATURDAY he didnt show up for work..( i am not sure why they put that in the paper but they did) i guess he might of been to upset since he seen a dead body or soemthing and about ots...
dont get me wrong i am really sad about eric dying .. but its not ots to blame.. not for his death or the DUIs people have gotten after leaving there... eric was 21 which means he is aloud to be served.. there is no fault in OT's its jsut like any other bar... you go there to drink and hang out.. thats what he did.. its just said that osmetihng like this would happen to such a good guy when there is idiots who drink and drive and act stupid all the time who havent been harmed from it yet ... mabey after this it will make people think hey dont drive... RIP Eric..

Maineville, OH

#3 Mar 22, 2009
Yeah, I can see that point of view. Kind of scary that cop's in Liberty are on call instead of out working. I know it's a small town but someone needs to be up and ready to go as soon as a call get's in. That's not too much to ask since lives can be saved. That's just what I think. Thank you for your point of view it's much appreciated.

“Liberty Biker”

Alvarado Texas

#4 Mar 22, 2009
I read it as Deputy Kirk Bryson wasn't at work the following night for comment, not the night of the accident. I would assume they stated that only to explain why they had no additional information since he was not available for comment. As for OTs, yes, they a limited responsibility to not serve patrons who are obviously intoxicated (not always easy to tell), but they are certainly not nannys or babysitters. Adults are adults and they need to use their own discretion and make wise decisions. I would be more likely to point blame any friends he was with. It's better to make someone mad by not letting them drive, than attend a funeral. In any case, it was an avoidable tragedy and terrible that a life was cut short so early. RIP Eric.
the sexycat

Sidney, OH

#5 Mar 23, 2009
let me comment on the accident , i didnt know this man, and as far as i know, i thought bars are not to serve if they feel someone has had too many. was noone paying attention when the boy was served????? maybe something happened with his car, maybe he wasnt that drunk, we may never have answers, lets just hope others read this and make some not so difficult decisions for the next person. As far as officer Bryson goes, i know all the officers at union county, and my opinion is officer bryson is the best officer they have by far. Others play favorites, and some also are very lazy, and others like to ride around in their vehicle not doing much of anything. But officer Bryson is not among them, he is a great man and an officer,he has always taken the time to do his job and to do it well. so lay off him and focus on improving the others, cuz there are more than one officer that works there. OK . lets not forget the Liberty PD as well, they could have stopped him long before he got onto HWY 44, dont ya think. Im sorry this boy died, but u cant blame anyone but this boy. he is the one that got behind the wheel. RIP Eric,
4uall2c

Marshall, VA

#6 Mar 23, 2009
It sounds in these comments like everyone
thinks Eric was drunk even before he was served at OT's. Do we actually know that he was??? Why are peopls saying the server should have took note
as to wether he had already been drinking...Had he been before going there??? no one knows.And besides,he was of age and adult enough to make
any decisions.Besides which Danny Dearth has offered many people rides when they are intoxicated,and has saved lives because he cares enough to do it.No one should be blaming and cops or the bar owners,he was an adult,he made his own decisions,although very saddening that it happened,it did. I personally feel that each bar in this town and in others should employ people who are designated drivers,I think it would cut way back on such tragedy's.
shutdownOTs

Muncie, IN

#7 Mar 23, 2009
I know someone that just got a dwi leaving that place. She could of got killed or killed someone else. The need to take some responsibility to all this.
Back Off

Oxford, OH

#8 Mar 23, 2009
Good morning,

As Erics cousin I would personally like to ask everyone to refrain from this internet gossip. The family does not need nor deserve to have to read this garbage just days after his death. So, a personal request from a family member would be to BACK OFF AND SHOW RESPECT! Yes, this is heartbreaking but right now is not the time to be trying to "make an example" of my cousin so that others do not follow in his footsteps. Especially if you don't have all the facts on the situation.

Thank you for your understanding.
Cryke1 wrote:
I was truly sadness by this story.
Union County Coroner Bill Havens said Eric Buttery, 21, was dead at the scene after suffering severe body trauma in the accident, which remains under investigation. Buttery was eastbound on the state highway about 2.5 miles east of Liberty when his vehicle went off the road on the north side of the road, Havens said. Buttery then appeared to have overcorrected, sliding off the highway on the southside and hitting a telephone pole in a side-impact accident, Havens said. The accident occured around 12:30 a.m. and Buttery was the only person in the vehicle, Havens said. The Union County Sheriff's Department was unable to provide any information about the accident on Saturday. Deputy Kirk Bryson, who handled the accident, was scheduled to work Saturday night, but then did not come in, according to 911 dispatch. Reserve officers working Saturday night had no knowledge of the accident and no press release was written on the accident, a dispatcher said. Buttery, who was a former resident of College Corner, Ohio, graduated from Union County High School in 2006. He played on the school's baseball and football teams.. He was a member of the College Corner United Methodist Church and was employed at the Environmental Demolition Group in Covington, Ky.
But this raises more questions then answers for me. I have seen over the past few years my friends getting multiple DWI/DUI as a result of going to OT's (some just this last week). Was Eric intoxicated? And if so, Shouldn't OT's stop selling alcohol to intoxicated kids? I wonder why Deputy Kirk Bryson didn't show up for work that night? Would Eric still be alive if someone was on duty? Who was first on the scene? And how long did it take for police to arrive? Eric's myspace page (which he updated just hours before he died) read this " goin to OT's" Mood was "Grateful" "Feeling great". http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...
This is truly heartbreaking and if it can be prevented again it needs to. If anyone can shed some light on this please do so.
Do What

Hazel Crest, IL

#9 Mar 23, 2009
Kirk was not working that night, a reserve officer was.
sober drtver

AOL

#10 Mar 23, 2009
i was there that night and he told me he just came from keggers and he was not drunk he was there for a friends bithday party and was going back to keggers it is just a bad thing that happend
Frank the Bank

Liberty, IN

#11 Mar 23, 2009
OT's will give you a ride home in there van. they do it every night for those who fell they have had to much to drink. Do you know of any other bars around here who care that much about their patrons to something like that.
shutdownOTs

Muncie, IN

#12 Mar 23, 2009
it sounds like your talking from experience. I wouldnt brag about that.
Oxford

Oxford, OH

#13 Mar 23, 2009
You people are really sad if you have nothing better to do than this- GET A LIFE.
shutdownOTs

Muncie, IN

#14 Mar 23, 2009
yeah people!
shutdownOTsSUX

Liberty, IN

#15 Mar 23, 2009
Shutdown OT's go get a life or even a friend you friggin loser
shutdownOTs

Muncie, IN

#16 Mar 23, 2009
make me ...Frank the tank. why do u have to change id's? like we dont know its u .. LMAO
WEST COLLEGE CORNER IN

Sidney, OH

#17 Mar 23, 2009
I am sorry for your loss. I support your message.
Back Off wrote:
Good morning,
As Erics cousin I would personally like to ask everyone to refrain from this internet gossip. The family does not need nor deserve to have to read this garbage just days after his death. So, a personal request from a family member would be to BACK OFF AND SHOW RESPECT! Yes, this is heartbreaking but right now is not the time to be trying to "make an example" of my cousin so that others do not follow in his footsteps. Especially if you don't have all the facts on the situation.
Thank you for your understanding.
<quoted text>
Give it a rest

Cincinnati, OH

#18 Mar 23, 2009
Get a Mother F-ing life you disrespectful pieces of garbage. if you seriously have nothing better to do than write on here then you should look in the mirror and improve on your own lives. So back off and let everybody morn instead of reading this bullshit.
uknow

Liberty, IN

#19 Mar 24, 2009
PRACTICE WHAT U PREACH!!
Give it a rest wrote:
Get a Mother F-ing life you disrespectful pieces of garbage. if you seriously have nothing better to do than write on here then you should look in the mirror and improve on your own lives. So back off and let everybody morn instead of reading this bullshit.
Union County Resident

Oxford, OH

#20 Mar 24, 2009
May god be with his family right now. To know Eric was to know he was a special person. RIP.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fourth of July 46 min Friday Fracas 2
What will the 2nd Walmart Supercenter do for th... 47 min Michael75066 5
Cold Carol (Nov '14) 51 min Cold Carol 76
Got Safety? Thank a Law Enforcement Professional! 1 hr Cold Carol 7
Why do people bring their kids grocery shopping??? 1 hr Dances With Skunks 21
Gangstalking in connersville 2 hr Anonymous 21
Amanda Angel = Total Hottie 2 hr tweeky frahm 2
More from around the web

Liberty People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE