Cat blamed in $40,000 house fire

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

A cat was responsible for a fire that did an estimated $40,000 in damages to a Liberty Pike residence Sunday.
Comments
1 - 20 of 59 Comments Last updated Dec 9, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dean Jones

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

That darn cat!
Are you kidding me

Plainfield, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Yet another good reason NOT to have a cat!
Petey

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

...uh, the cats to blame? What about the OWNER who knows cats like to walk on and roam anywhere in the house and yet still leaves a small, lighted oil lamp on her desk. Geesh!
seriously

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

I have 3 cats, and I also enjoy candles. I DON'T put my candles anywhere my cats could reach them. Its called common sense. NOW if the cat had been smoking and fell asleep with the lit ciggie in her mouth...then I say sure blame the cat!
just wondering

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

will this fly with the insurance companies?
Mike

Kendallville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Why blame the cat?
mmm

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

wow, you people are pit vipers!! I read these comments occasionally and every time, it's just people with too much time on their hands bashing whoever or whatever the article is about.
But by all means, continue. It's amusing for me.
haha

Mishawaka, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

seriously wrote:
I have 3 cats, and I also enjoy candles. I DON'T put my candles anywhere my cats could reach them. Its called common sense. NOW if the cat had been smoking and fell asleep with the lit ciggie in her mouth...then I say sure blame the cat!
That image made me laugh out loud!
Meow

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

She should have had that "smoke-alarm" parrot from that other story.
haha

Mishawaka, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Now that I think about it, when I oversleep and my cat wants me to wake up and feed him, he jumps up on my dresser and starts pushing things off onto the floor, so the noise disturbs my sleep and I wake up. Maybe this cat was similarly getting frustrated with his owners and knocked the candle over to get their attention. If that were the case, and the cat intentionally knocked it over, then the cat could be said to have caused the fire.

If however, it was simply that the cat knocked over the candle while he was pussy footing around, then he can hardly be blamed for their lack of sense for putting a candle within the cat's reach.
Re Think This One

Fortville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Who lit the oil lamp??? Surely, not the cat?

Competant adult supervison is a must with any flame. One of those 3 were missing. You decide:

1. Competant
or
2. Adult
or
3. Supervision
Funny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Meow wrote:
She should have had that "smoke-alarm" parrot from that other story.
That's cute. LOL
Marine Hero

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

seriously wrote:
That's not the strangest thing I've heard regarding a cat. Several years ago, a cat suffocated a baby in Nashville, IN. An Autopsy confirmed the story!
Oce The Cat

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

I have three kitties and they are typical felines. They get into things they shouldn't and if I don't want them to get into something, I put it in a closet that locks so they can't get to it. If I burn candles, I stay with them all the time. I can't blame the kitty on this one. Cats only do what is natural and if rubbing up against something is natural, then that is what he did. Stupid owner. But the cat can't speak up for himself, so he gets the blame. At least he escaped any injury. The owner must have retardation.
Oce The Cat

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

seriously wrote:
I'm with you on this one - see my previous post. Meow Meow Meow Where's my cigs????? hahahahahah
SNL

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

no one wrote:
sounds like a perfect scam to me...
I knocked over the.....I mean, the cat did it. Yeah, the cat did it. That's the ticket!
Heather in Indy

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Are you kidding me wrote:
Yet another good reason NOT to have a cat!
Amen to that!!!
INDYGIRL

Bridgeport, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Re Think This One wrote:
Who lit the oil lamp??? Surely, not the cat?
Competant adult supervison is a must with any flame. One of those 3 were missing. You decide:
1. Competant
or
2. Adult
or
3. Supervision
BINGO!!!
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

The CAT was not responsible for the fire!
The PERSON who left the lit lamp out was!
THINK!!!
Dave

Fortville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

In a follow up story, the Cat was contacted by The Star, and had no comment, saying he needed to speak with his attorney first. He had already been contacted by Keller & Keller.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Liberty Discussions

Search the Liberty Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bret Drew 1 hr Beth-Ann 4
OTs Dating Thread # 6 (Aug '13) 1 hr SarahfromGarden 4,099
Mahlon Flannery 1 hr Adrian 7
Care giver stole from old man (Feb '12) 1 hr JustPassinBy 39
joey reibsomer 2 hr Two Cents 21
Five letter word game (Jan '11) 4 hr Lefty Field 4,315
Keep A Word, Drop A Word (Mar '10) 4 hr Lefty Field 7,681
•••
•••