REMC rediculous rates
ripped off

Danvers, MA

#21 Oct 4, 2010
What are we all going to do this winter, with electric heat? I'm scared!
Schieb

Bear, DE

#22 Oct 5, 2010
I have had enough of White Water Valley REMC, that when I look at a home to buy, the first thing I look at it the electric meter, and if it says WWV REMC on it, I just leave, no sense in me even looking any farther.
Goddess

Elkhart, IN

#23 Oct 5, 2010
Schieb wrote:
I have had enough of White Water Valley REMC, that when I look at a home to buy, the first thing I look at it the electric meter, and if it says WWV REMC on it, I just leave, no sense in me even looking any farther.
REMC is mostly for rural areas. Concentrate your search within the city limits.
Intern

Richmond, IN

#24 Oct 6, 2010
OMG how are people going to pay these bills and raise a family? My bills starting in May 2010
May $226.70 Aug.$434.86
June 164.00 Sept. 419.00
July 365.42 Oct. 428.25
Add them up and it's $2,038.23 Almost 2 yrs ago to help with the elec.bill I updated a 7 yrs old maytag washer set to a front loader set of Bosch as all research said they cost less to run just more to buy. Same with the 4 yr old frig to a new one for the same reason.Couldn't sell you house if you needed to if you are on REMC. Only a complete idiot would buy anything if REMC is involved!We live on a retirement and SS. What is to happen to all the young people who is just starting out with family's? BTW our house is older but VERY WELL insulated top,bottom, sides. Just because I can afford to pay what about the ones who struggle?I'm really pissed. Does REMC give a rats butt if I do with less food,or a how about medicine for my sick husband??? HELL NO... My home is no ones dream home it's just a house. I wonder what the CEO of REMC's house looks like and if he indeed is on REMC power and what his bills are.....Is there anything we as a group can do about this thief of REMC charges? We bought a windmill to help with this problem. Had it up 3 days when so called high winds took it down for us. Can't wait to replace it and be able to get it up and running. However we are now replacing it with a more powerful one!!!!!!!!!!
Schieb

Bear, DE

#25 Oct 6, 2010
Goddess wrote:
<quoted text>
REMC is mostly for rural areas. Concentrate your search within the city limits.
I have, and a lot of houses in town, have REMC. Not to mention, high water and sewage rates.
Schieb

Bear, DE

#26 Oct 6, 2010
I got my new, bill, in the mail today, $97.65. And that is about what it should be.
Goddess

Elkhart, IN

#27 Oct 6, 2010
Schieb wrote:
<quoted text>
I have, and a lot of houses in town, have REMC. Not to mention, high water and sewage rates.
I'm baffled! Most towns have either city owned utilites (Centerville and Hagerstown) or Duke or RP&L. Some towns combine the water, sewer, and electric bills in one. Most towns combine the water and sewer. You may want to look into the bigger cities, such as Richmond, or Cambridge City. Good luck with your search!
Rural people get screwed

Versailles, IN

#28 Dec 26, 2010
REMC it's all about $$$ folks. 4 or 5 years ago a large ice storm hit Ripley County Indiana and knocked the power out for days. Duke offered to send linemen to our area three days into the outage, but the REMC refused to use them. "Duke does not know our grid" was the excuse given. We were without power for 5 days 15 hours. Thanks for nothing REMC. Also try and get a KWH rate from the REMC. You can't. They adjust the rate daily!!!! People that live in the country get screwed on a regular basis on most utilities. Internet access is another problem. We have a internet service provider called OINC wireless in the county. P.U. Worst service ever. You have a problem they ignore it especially if it is after 5:00 PM or a weekend or holiday. You just can't reach them. They do nothing when you do reach them. "Reset your router. Reset your router. Reset your router. Reset your router. Reset your router. Reset your router." Why don't you replace the router that YOU sold me. Don't you think that there is an issue with an item that you need reset on a daily basis? Who do I complain to? They are not regulated and they are the only game in town in most locations. Hey Obama, where is the rural internet you and the FCC were to help install in the rural areas? More Washington lies.........
timmy

Cincinnati, OH

#29 Dec 27, 2010
I don't like the smell of parakeet doo doo.
Hoosierbaby

Solsberry, IN

#30 Jan 15, 2011
I agree w/everyone. I can't pay for this amount like that anymore, it's crazy. It's almost like house payment, and with this economy is gonna kill everyone with their finance.
duke is just as bad

Richmond, IN

#31 Jan 15, 2011
12 cents a watt and they put an electronic one on and it says im using twice as much electricity than the old meter.
Tom

United States

#32 Jan 16, 2011
I agree REMC is way too expensive! My bill for last month was almost 400.00 dollars and I don't even heat my house with electric!
Hess

Bloomfield, IN

#33 Apr 16, 2011
It's very frustrating to me that REMC is doing this to people. I have paid over $2,000 dollars for electric within the last 3 months. When I call for an explanation, the lady just tells me "it's the sign of the times." She's got that right, people are getting greedier for gain and not caring who they have to rob to get it.
over you

Andover, MA

#34 Apr 16, 2011
REMC made so much money, they sent me a check for $92. Must have felt guily with all that cash.
Cassidy Perry

Lake Villa, IL

#35 Jan 18, 2012
I've done the math on this. I was using Duke Energy in Shelbyville for several years then moved to Greensburg and had Decatur County REMC. Boy was I in for a suprise. First off,$40 dollar service charge every month. Duke energy didn't charge me any service charge. Next about $.11 per kilowatt hour 6 months out of the year and $.6 cents the rest of the year through REMC. Duke Energy charged me $.10 for the first 300 KWH and $.5 thereafter, per month. When I use about 1000 KWH a month, this means I end up paying close to double with REMC. Throw in the $40 service fee every month, you get the picture.
Service-wise, in the year that I've had REMC, I can't see much of a difference between the two companies.
New to Remc

Bartlett, IL

#36 Jan 19, 2012
I recently moved and now have REMC instead of Duke. I have to agree REMC is ridiculous they are double the price of Duke
well

United States

#37 Jan 19, 2012
I've had duke and fence and I currently am with Tench my bill last month was 112 and that's doing laundry for 3 kids as well....I just don't have all the lights and TV's on 24 hours a day
New to Remc

Bartlett, IL

#38 Jan 19, 2012
We are home about 3 hours a night then asleep. My bill was over 300 last month. Usually have on tv on those 3 hours and all lights turned out when we go to bed and always turned off during the day when we are gone. I also do laundry for 4 people and showers and etc but I think that is ridiculous for one month. And I have a propane furnace so not electric heat.
Options

Fort Wayne, IN

#39 Jan 25, 2012
REMC really. They are silly high. And a bunch of heartless people. It's sad that the empolyees are living with the same high rates but can't complain. They are the ones who have to collect. Is there any other options for Liberty residence? I would chose any other company if I had a choice.
ConcernedParent

Lafayette, IN

#40 Jan 26, 2012
We don't have a choice! A lady at the REMC office told me that Duke wouldn't want us as customers, because there is not enough people on a line to make it profitable. Therefore we're forced to be supplied by REMC, and they can do whatever they wish and can charge what they wish, all the while their wallets are getting fatter and fatter. The office will not furnish payroll records, and that is not right, especially when it's a so called cooperative. How about publishing pay records in the fabulous Powerlines newsletter that we get each month with our bill. Not asking too much, just some useful information!!! P.S. "Well" doesn't have a clue! lol Join us and REMC and see it's not all that great!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) 3 min Liar in chief 103
Road conditions 10 min Beth 1
119 east 4th 10 min DedDruggiesRBest 2
Waylon and Willie Concert in Roberts Park 21 min Leo 5
Debbie Showalter to head up FC needle exchange ... 31 min Florence Nighting... 13
In a camper down by the river 1 hr Leo 9
Keep A Word, Drop A Word (Mar '10) 2 hr Fairydust 13,807

Liberty Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Liberty Mortgages