Black cords across the road in town?

Black cords across the road in town?

Posted in the Lexington Forum

GoVols

United States

#1 Mar 15, 2012
Am I the only one that has been seeing these black cords across the road in various spots in Lexington? What are they and why are they there?
SeeHere

United States

#2 Mar 15, 2012
I think they monitor traffic.
GoVols

United States

#3 Mar 15, 2012
as in monitoring speed or how many cars travel at a particular time?
SeeHere

United States

#4 Mar 15, 2012
I think it depends on if there are two cables or maybe it has something to do with the box at the end of the cable. I could be wrong about how to determine what "They" are trying to determine.

They are trying to determine either
1. How many cars pass by
or
2. How fast are people going

If it's about the cars passing by - that makes a difference in future road planning.

If it's about the speed (which I really do think that's the 2 cable system) then that would be a good area for a speed trap.

Having said all that, I think the police already know where people speed. I would be more likely to think it's about the future of the road.

Didja like my long answer better?
hmmm

United States

#5 Jul 2, 2012
They are basically traffic counters people and yes they arw attaches to.the black boxes on the side. They don't monitor speed.
TBB

United States

#6 Jul 2, 2012
Traffic counters for sure. To measure speed by crossing over the cord twice you would need to know each vehicles wheel base length . For instance if you had a Honda del sol ( 2 seater short car) and a school bus going the same speed it wouldn't read them as going the same speed. It would read different because of the wheel base length.
a friend

Tallahassee, FL

#7 Jul 3, 2012
could be a car counter... to check road conditions an traffic.
Greenmartians

United States

#9 Jul 5, 2012
It's alien related.
Missy

Mount Juliet, TN

#10 Jul 5, 2012
GoVols wrote:
Am I the only one that has been seeing these black cords across the road in various spots in Lexington? What are they and why are they there?
traffic counter

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pay attention to your kids 1 hr Who 12
Leroy buyout 2 hr haa 5
I'm up 6 hr I know you 6
Lexington swingers 9 hr Know it 2
Is it legal to have a pet raccoon 9 hr Devot 3
I shaved it 9 hr Little Timmy 4
nobody can be trusted 10 hr YAnner 11

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance