Blaze kills new homeowners | The Colu...

Blaze kills new homeowners | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 11 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 24, 2010, titled Blaze kills new homeowners | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Faith Stickdorn, 12, and her brother Ethan, 9, have a clear view of the remains at 327 Elizabeth St., right, from their grandfather's porch in New Lexington.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Ex-Southender

Sidney, OH

#1 May 24, 2010
Isn't there some kind of inspection done prior to purchase?
HSOK

Springfield, OH

#2 May 24, 2010
My heart goes out to the 2 smalless children , so young to loss your parents and hard to understand their never coming back . May God always be there to guide them through life .
Iceman21

Columbus, OH

#3 May 24, 2010
Ex-Southender wrote:
Isn't there some kind of inspection done prior to purchase?
Not always, that is the homebuyers choice.
I PityThe Fool

Cleveland, OH

#4 May 24, 2010
Iceman21 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not always, that is the homebuyers choice.
Im thinking the bank may have required some kind of inspection or appraisal, not to say that would have caught the problem.

Wonder if they had smoke detectors.
GVGAL

Columbus, OH

#5 May 24, 2010
I heard on NBC news last night that no, they did not have smoke detectors in the home. Could be they hadn't gotten around to buying them yet, as they'd just moved in. All those cardboard boxes and packing materials probably just made the fire even worse. So sad.
Arka B Valentine

Marietta, OH

#6 May 24, 2010
My heart goes to the family of these 3. I want to say sorry 4 ur loss.
Terry and Becky Cooke

Columbus, OH

#7 May 24, 2010
This may not be the proper forum, but I feel I should share some of my knowledge about this wonderful family.
Steve, Kate, and Eric were close and dear friends of ours. We have many fond memories of the times we shared together and will never forget them. Our hearts and prayers go out to their families. May God bless you and keep you during these difficult times and may you find peace and comfort in His love.
Steve was Steve. You always knew where you stood with him. He never put on a show of false face for anyone. I admired that in him.
Kate was a wonderful person who met life's challenges head on and didn't back down. A true friend whom we loved dearly.
Eric. There isn't enough room to write all of the accolades for this young man. Eric was a charm to be around. Smart, witty, funny, kind, easy going, and the list goes on and on.
Anyone who knew them knows they were genuine good people. Rest in peace our friends and extended family. We love you!
Terry and Becky
Lostnthought

Columbus, OH

#8 May 24, 2010
I knew the family personally and I just want to let anyone know that they were they best people you could have in your lives. I am sorry to see them leave us in such a tragic way, but they will never leave my heart.
novagirl

Urbana, OH

#9 May 24, 2010
omg what a sad story my heart and prayers go out to the family and friends of these 3 ppl...i hope god gives the family peace and strength to get through this...
Iceman21

Columbus, OH

#10 Jun 1, 2010
I PityThe Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Im thinking the bank may have required some kind of inspection or appraisal, not to say that would have caught the problem.
Wonder if they had smoke detectors.
I just bought a house not to long ago, the bank has their own people do a very quick, I mean 5 minute quick inspection. At least 5/3 bank. As far as a detailed home inspection, that was up to me the buyer if I wanted that done which is probably the only way you could really catch any electrical problem if that would even catch it unless it was something really obvious which I assume it wasn't.
I PityThe Fool

Cleveland, OH

#11 Jun 2, 2010
Iceman21 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just bought a house not to long ago, the bank has their own people do a very quick, I mean 5 minute quick inspection. At least 5/3 bank. As far as a detailed home inspection, that was up to me the buyer if I wanted that done which is probably the only way you could really catch any electrical problem if that would even catch it unless it was something really obvious which I assume it wasn't.
Yes, that's like the city "framing inspection" I had which basically involved a guy coming, taking a look, and driving away because he knew the contractor who did quality work.

Hard to spot electrical problems hidden within walls, for sure.

Anybody know if they had smoke detectors?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
David Swanigan Jun 19 Hmmm 1
drug court sucks balls (Oct '11) Jun 18 Sober guy 5
News Chili And Wing Cook Off Set For Saturday On Mir... May 30 Annalisa 3
Jay Knipp May 30 Annalisa 3
doug koolaide mitchell May 30 Annalisa 12
News County's Secret Service Officer leaving to be p... (Jan '07) May 30 Annalisa 3,318
Mandy Mcghee May '16 PamSt 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages