Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#41314 Jul 31, 2013
TSF wrote:
Math lesson: A public school teacher has four 90 minute classes per day and there are 30 students in each class. Assuming no interruptions such as office announcements, pronouncements, assemblies, standardized test, etc., how much time does the teacher have for attention to an individual student?(assume no time lost moving between students and all students getting equal time)?
Answer: 360 minutes/ 120 students= 3 minutes /student/day
What the hell, she cant teach them in 3 minutes. Obviously a bad teacher.
Therein lies the problem with your question, the teacher isn't teaching to each individual student seperatly but rather to each individual student independently as a group/class. If he/she met with each student individually then your answer would be correct but the last time I checked, the teacher teaches to each individual student as a group/class, so the correct answer, without any interruptions, would be 360 mins or 6 hrs.(Even if you factor in that some students may need extra attention, there are also those who pick it up on the first lesson so they cancel each other out.)
Now you take those 6 hrs a day and multiply by 180 (the number of days in an average school year) and we'll find the teacher has 1,080 hrs to teach any said subject. Now if he/she can't get the job done in 1,080 hrs, regardless of class size, then yes, they are a bad teacher!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#41315 Jul 31, 2013
TSF wrote:
Quality private schools can serve the function of allowing small class size, individualized attention to students and giving the teachers time to become familiar with individual students and their learning snags. But having the state legislature decree that private schools need not have qualified teachers, need not meet the same educational standards as the public schools or even require criminal background checks for private school owners and personnel? Then give them up front public funds of $4500 per student for the entire year? Seems more like a prescription for making money off students and their parents than for education. What could possibly go wrong with someone getting out of prison with no education and starting their very own private school?
Have you ever considered that an individual students academic failure might stem from causes other than the school? If the public schools are causing failures, why are so many public school students achieving at such high standards? Possibly you know about averages, where you add all the scores and divide by the number of students? So a public school teacher is assigned 42 students, from poor ignorant republikan alcoholic families, to a math functions class and she is a bad teacher because all of them cannot do integral calculus at the end of the term? Give me a break!
<quoted text>
Again, if private schools are so bad, then why do they continually outperform govt schools? Surely it can't be because of better teachers? Or even a better curriculum? Or because they don't put up with any BS? The FACT is govt schools are designed to dumb down Americans,(and they're doing a magnificent job I might add), and once generation after generation after generation has passed through these factories, it becomes the norm. You can't see the forest for the trees because you were taught to focus solely on the trees!
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#41316 Jul 31, 2013
If it were so easy. Teaching isn't like sanding table tops. Just standing there lecturing out your knowledge in the hopes that each individual absorbs information at the same rate and can keep up with the curriculum guide schedule established by the state is the poorest kind of teaching and the hardest kind of learning. You could just hire one teacher per state and show it to the kids on TV. I's sure they would all sit quietly, obediently , pay close attention all the time and learn everything the teacher lectured out. It just doesn't work that way home boy.
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Therein lies the problem with your question, the teacher isn't teaching to each individual student seperatly but rather to each individual student independently as a group/class. If he/she met with each student individually then your answer would be correct but the last time I checked, the teacher teaches to each individual student as a group/class, so the correct answer, without any interruptions, would be 360 mins or 6 hrs.(Even if you factor in that some students may need extra attention, there are also those who pick it up on the first lesson so they cancel each other out.)
Now you take those 6 hrs a day and multiply by 180 (the number of days in an average school year) and we'll find the teacher has 1,080 hrs to teach any said subject. Now if he/she can't get the job done in 1,080 hrs, regardless of class size, then yes, they are a bad teacher!
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#41317 Jul 31, 2013
Private schools aren't necessarily bad, just MANY of them in this state are BECAUSE OF UN QUALIFIED TEACHERS FOR ONE THING.. Now give them uneducated criminals FOR TEACHERS and watch what happens. If you want to send your kids to private schools, fine.
Problem children often do better in private schools because of smaller class size, separation from their problem parents and the availability of individualized instruction. Any child would benefit from that situation GIVEN QUALIFIED teachers. Private schools do not have to take the idiot offspring of poor ignorant republican beckerheads. That helps their average. Public schools are forced to take the little underfunded reprobates as well as the juvenile delinquent criminals that the courts have sentenced back into public schools. Since the private schools will now be receiving public funding, it is only fair that the courts force them to accept a proportionate number of violent teenage criminals who are on probation for such penny ante crimes as armed robbery, rape, assault, B&E, selling drugs etc. That should serve somewhat to level the playing field.

I will chose the public schools, even with the underfunding and republican attacks.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#41318 Jul 31, 2013
The local paper conducted a poll where they asked the question, "Which of the education related items in the budget upset you the most?" The #1 answer wasn't "no more tenure", hell that came in dead last! It wasn't "no teacher pay raise" or even "cutting the number of teacher assistants", those came in 2nd & 3rd from last respectively! The number one answer was "using taxpayer money for tuition at private schools" at 42%. Why is that? Are the govt school teachers that scared? As a taxpayer, I'd rather my tax dollars go toward a private education for students instead of govt indoctrination!
A rally was recently held in Gastonia by the govt school teachers protesting the budget cuts to education, only 15-20 teachers actually showed up! Pathetic!
true

Hickory, NC

#41319 Jul 31, 2013
none all they want is money not to help the little guy

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#41320 Jul 31, 2013
TSF wrote:
If it were so easy. Teaching isn't like sanding table tops. Just standing there lecturing out your knowledge in the hopes that each individual absorbs information at the same rate and can keep up with the curriculum guide schedule established by the state is the poorest kind of teaching and the hardest kind of learning. You could just hire one teacher per state and show it to the kids on TV. I's sure they would all sit quietly, obediently , pay close attention all the time and learn everything the teacher lectured out. It just doesn't work that way home boy.
<quoted text>
But that's exactly what govt teachers do, they stand there lecturing hoping that every student absorbs the information so their performance grade looks good come appraisal time. Hell, govt schools even allow the teachers to grade on a curve and they STILL can't keep up with the private schools!
That's a great idea for govt schools, fire every govt teacher and just have one administrator teach through a TV! I love it! But you're right, it wouldn't work because govt students are more worried about the latest fashion trends, who's bonking who, where's the next party, and who's supplying the alcohol and drugs, than they are about education!! Private school students wear uniforms or have a dress code so fashion is a non-issue and they are more worried about education and making the grade because if they don't, regardless of how rich daddy is, their ass gets booted out......and sent to the stupid factories known as govt schools!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#41321 Jul 31, 2013
TSF wrote:
Private schools aren't necessarily bad, just MANY of them in this state are BECAUSE OF UN QUALIFIED TEACHERS FOR ONE THING.. Now give them uneducated criminals FOR TEACHERS and watch what happens. If you want to send your kids to private schools, fine.
Problem children often do better in private schools because of smaller class size, separation from their problem parents and the availability of individualized instruction. Any child would benefit from that situation GIVEN QUALIFIED teachers. Private schools do not have to take the idiot offspring of poor ignorant republican beckerheads. That helps their average. Public schools are forced to take the little underfunded reprobates as well as the juvenile delinquent criminals that the courts have sentenced back into public schools. Since the private schools will now be receiving public funding, it is only fair that the courts force them to accept a proportionate number of violent teenage criminals who are on probation for such penny ante crimes as armed robbery, rape, assault, B&E, selling drugs etc. That should serve somewhat to level the playing field.
I will chose the public schools, even with the underfunding and republican attacks.
Unqualified? By who's standards? Surely you're not comparing a govt teacher to a private teacher? Bahahahaha!
What evidence do you have to support you're claim that private school teachers are "unqualified"?
I think RS is right, you just keep regurgitating the talking points of the Commucrat party and what you see and hear on MSNBC.
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#41322 Aug 1, 2013
So a private school teacher who didn't even finish high school herself is qualified to teach geometry? Trigonometry? Physics? Chemistry? Biology? Advanced algebra? Calculus? Possible but also highly unlikely. Without required credentials, who knows who is qualified? That's the point.
You must have had a really terrible experience in the public schools. Would you tell us about that?
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Unqualified? By who's standards? Surely you're not comparing a govt teacher to a private teacher? Bahahahaha!
What evidence do you have to support you're claim that private school teachers are "unqualified"?
I think RS is right, you just keep regurgitating the talking points of the Commucrat party and what you see and hear on MSNBC.
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#41323 Aug 1, 2013
Could you name a few of the local private schools which are producing such wonderful and transformative results? Where are they located? How much is the tuition? What courses do they offer? What are the qualifications of their teachers? Who evaluates their performance which is so outstanding? Have criminal background checks been made on all of them including the owners and administrators? Its just possible that you are telling the truth about the pervasive advantages of private schools and their affordability to everyone. Give me some information. I may want to change my mind. I need numbers and facts . No BS please.
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>But that's exactly what govt teachers do, they stand there lecturing hoping that every student absorbs the information so their performance grade looks good come appraisal time. Hell, govt schools even allow the teachers to grade on a curve and they STILL can't keep up with the private schools!
That's a great idea for govt schools, fire every govt teacher and just have one administrator teach through a TV! I love it! But you're right, it wouldn't work because govt students are more worried about the latest fashion trends, who's bonking who, where's the next party, and who's supplying the alcohol and drugs, than they are about education!! Private school students wear uniforms or have a dress code so fashion is a non-issue and they are more worried about education and making the grade because if they don't, regardless of how rich daddy is, their ass gets booted out......and sent to the stupid factories known as govt schools!
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#41324 Aug 1, 2013
What local paper? Which date?
Pro-American wrote:
The local paper conducted a poll where they asked the question, "Which of the education related items in the budget upset you the most?" The #1 answer wasn't "no more tenure", hell that came in dead last! It wasn't "no teacher pay raise" or even "cutting the number of teacher assistants", those came in 2nd & 3rd from last respectively! The number one answer was "using taxpayer money for tuition at private schools" at 42%. Why is that? Are the govt school teachers that scared? As a taxpayer, I'd rather my tax dollars go toward a private education for students instead of govt indoctrination!
A rally was recently held in Gastonia by the govt school teachers protesting the budget cuts to education, only 15-20 teachers actually showed up! Pathetic!
waco1909

Buffalo, NY

#41325 Aug 1, 2013
LIFE IS GREAT! I'M GAY, BIPOLAR AND PROUD OF IT!!!
waco 1909

Athens, AL

#41326 Aug 1, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
LIFE IS GREAT! I'M GAY, BIPOLAR AND PROUD OF IT!!!
and I love the Pope.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#41327 Aug 1, 2013
TSF wrote:
So a private school teacher who didn't even finish high school herself is qualified to teach geometry? Trigonometry? Physics? Chemistry? Biology? Advanced algebra? Calculus? Possible but also highly unlikely. Without required credentials, who knows who is qualified? That's the point.
You must have had a really terrible experience in the public schools. Would you tell us about that?
<quoted text>
Again, where is your evidence that shows private school teachers aren't qualified?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#41328 Aug 1, 2013
TSF wrote:
What local paper? Which date?
<quoted text>
The Gaston Gazette, Wed's edition. I'm sure you can read for yourself online.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#41329 Aug 1, 2013
TSF wrote:
Could you name a few of the local private schools which are producing such wonderful and transformative results? Where are they located? How much is the tuition? What courses do they offer? What are the qualifications of their teachers? Who evaluates their performance which is so outstanding? Have criminal background checks been made on all of them including the owners and administrators? Its just possible that you are telling the truth about the pervasive advantages of private schools and their affordability to everyone. Give me some information. I may want to change my mind. I need numbers and facts . No BS please.
<quoted text>
Of course there are to many to list but to just give a few, Iredell Co. has Davidson Day, McKinney Academy (K-5), Mecklenburg Co. has Charlotte Catholic, Providence Day, Charlotte Country Day, Charlotte Latin, and Gaston Co. has Gaston Day, Gaston Christian, Cramerton Christian, etc.... and the list goes on and on.
Gaston Day, for example, where my children attend/attended has a 100% graduation rate with nearly 100% of those graduates attending a four year college/university. Most of the teachers hold advanced degrees and their last year's average SAT scores were, Critical Reading - 603, Mathmatics - 606, & Writing - 613. Show me a govt school, not a magnet school, that can boast those numbers? Their students are evaluated by the Educational Records Bureau (ERB) through a standardized national test that measures quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning, math achievement and application skills. Score results compare students with three different categories of test-takers,(1) all students nationally,(2) suburban public school students, and (3) students in independent schools, to which they continuously rank near or at the top in all categories.
The "average" tuition for these private schools is about $7,300 while public schools waste the taxpayers money to the tune of around $12,700 per student. As far as courses, the sky is the limit. Most private middle school students are already learning what the govt high school kids are learning including foreign languages, international studies, fine arts, technology, etc....
As far as affordability, that depends on what one thinks is important. Most parents would rather have a fancy house and a fancy car to impress people they don't know and rely on the govt to educate their children. Those who truly care about their children's future forgo the ritzy lifestyle and choose private education. In the long run, it'll be those parents who get the greatest return on their investment!
gyttleman

West Mifflin, PA

#41330 Aug 2, 2013
youtube.com/watch... …
G Bush is back bigger than ever
john hamhock

Polkton, NC

#41331 Aug 2, 2013
gyttleman wrote:
youtube.com/watch?v=MgLRSi_MQe 4 …
G Bush is back bigger than ever
If ONLY that were true! And obama was GONE!!
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#41332 Aug 2, 2013
Well duh! If the private school teachers aren't even required to finish high school themselves? You have to be kidding.
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Again, where is your evidence that shows private school teachers aren't qualified?
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#41333 Aug 2, 2013
Gas stone ya ? I might have known it would be the Mecca of NC.
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>The Gaston Gazette, Wed's edition. I'm sure you can read for yourself online.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Never Ever Wed CONFIDENCE 1
News New atheist-led Charlotte group wants community... (Oct '14) May 21 windowshax 5
Annabelles on Patterson ave (Sep '15) May 16 party couple 3
Thomasville Music Thread (Feb '15) May 9 Musikologist 4
Curious May 8 joe 3
How do you get rid of a freeloader?? (Mar '07) May 8 LadyDocIII 65
Schaper stomper toy trucks from the 80's and 90's May 1 Fallguy 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages