Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital ...

Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital of race bias

There are 271 comments on the Kentucky.com story from Jul 25, 2007, titled Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital of race bias. In it, Kentucky.com reports that:

Six current or former employees of Select Specialty Hospital have filed a federal lawsuit against the Lexington facility, alleging racial discrimination and retaliation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kentucky.com.

Sue

Buford, GA

#62 Aug 17, 2008
I have never worked for Select but I spent the better part of 4 weeks and 2 days watching my Father go through a living hell there. He had been admitted for Long term care for Pulmonary Fibrosis, the day after he got there and the first time the doc. seen him he was put on a vent, tracheotomy the next day. It was no time at all that we realized we would have to be there as much as we could. My Father could not talk with the trach.When he pushed the nurse call button (that was usually out of reach draped over the back of the bed or sometimes on the floor when we got there) but when he would push it- a voice would come over the intercom saying "may I help you?" "Do you need anything?" then the light would go off. It took us a couple of weeks to figure out that when someone would check on him they would see his eyes shut and walk away.
He threw a book out of the door the second night he was there to get attention!
-- nurses would walk in and start to walk out while he was searching for his pen and paper to ask a question.
--the suction hose he needed so he would not get fluid in his lungs was either out of reach- on the floor- one time laying in the window seal, and one time unpluged!
--one time it took 10 minutes to find ANYONE!! 15 min for respritory tech to get there.
-surgery mistake went through the colon trying to insert feeding tube in stomach- peg area pain! It was 6- days when the doc. asked us why he was not being givin fluids through the veins that he had ordered! Nurse told him they had not started because his bp was low!6 days NOTHING, no fluids no nurishment!
trach tubing would pop out - one time all night long- Dad would put it back in and hit call button but they would peek in and think he was asleep- so,no response!Resp tech told us he kept pulling it out (NO)
--(the day he passed they had a rubber band around it- he was not able to put it back in)!
---two days before he passed we got there in the a.m. and he would stop breathing everytime he fell asleep.(he was being weaned off the vent) No alarm went off. we were told "someone had the alarm down to low.His notes all night read "not enough air, need more air- get a doctor!"
--two days before he passed he had a bad leg cramp- nurse told us not to rub it in case it was a blood clot that might break loose.(I was not aware of DVT at that time)- he was laying down for over 2 1/2 weeks- no leg wrappes, no PT because of pain.. charge nurse said" who has been getting him up? NO ONE!
-- the more concerns we had the more attitudes we got from staff. yes, talked to the CEO he blew us off. It is my opinion the more we complained the more they gave him morphine! One nurse said "I realize it is your request to have him medicated all the time but" No did not request that!I asked the charge nurse about it, no answer!
The evening before he passed eve. nurse got there, I felt she was sent by God, she was everything we hoped for- caring, she read his lips and him hers.The next morning Even thow we new he was passing I saw her in the hall and thanked her for taking care of him- and that he had been complaining for weeks about lack of communication with nurses,ect.She was terminated that same morning for a very bogus reason.(I had asked for her card to send her a thank you note) she had put her phone numbers on it.
I was told that morning that she had left- but said goodbye.Truth is she wanted to but they would not let her come talk to us!!
It is my belief that my Father died of internal bleeding from the colon puncture,(peg was removed two days before he passed), starvation/ dehydration, DVT, or just plain lack of care!! Sorry this is so long but if ONE person reads this and chooses NOT to put a loved one in Select than I have accomplished something.
You All take care,
S.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#63 Aug 17, 2008
nobodypays attention wrote:
we have similar problems in maine
certain employees align themselves with management and the rest get the shaft.
some have taken gifts form patients -gift certificates worth 75.00. they have even ordered tickets to local games and the invoice wnet to the company. or how about an employee that brings her teenage daughter in and she go through charts and pays on the computor etc. what is hippa anyway? I got in big trouble and was on the sh-- list for letting someone know. at one time our facility was so dirty that mice poop was on every shelf and corner and all the dishes . all the therapist left their dishes so disease is like breeding. the desks are piled high with patient charts and papers with food and everything else on them. they get away with what ever they wan
I hope whoever this "nurse" was that came up with a positive drug screen and "missing medications" was reported to the board of nursing for an evaluation for suspected chemical dependency.
Jbyrd

United States

#64 Aug 19, 2008
Select Corp wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL SELECT SPECIALTY HOSPITALS CROSS THE COUNTRY DELIVER POOR QUALITY...... THEY HAVE A BADDDDDDDD NAME AND I WOULD NOT WORKED FOR THEM. THEY DELIVER POOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CARE. THAT IS A FACT. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE DOLLAR BILL WITH THOSE PEOPLE
I have to disagree with this statement. I work as a CNA for Select in Iowa. We are one of the few free-standing Selects. We're fairly new, only a few years old, but our patients and their families are very pleased with the care we give and the compassion that we show. I myself have great relationships with the families of my patients and the patients themselves. I stumbled across this site and i'm surprised to hear such bad things about Select.
fed up

Lexington, KY

#65 Aug 20, 2008
Jbyrd wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to disagree with this statement. I work as a CNA for Select in Iowa. We are one of the few free-standing Selects. We're fairly new, only a few years old, but our patients and their families are very pleased with the care we give and the compassion that we show. I myself have great relationships with the families of my patients and the patients themselves. I stumbled across this site and i'm surprised to hear such bad things about Select.
I felt the same way when i started at this place give it time and you will see and when you do please let me know. hate to have to tell you i told you so but believe me its coming! enjoy your position while you can.
Sue

Buford, GA

#66 Aug 20, 2008
Jbyrd wrote:
<quoted text>
That is great if that IS true! Poeple in Iowa are blessed then. All I know is we did not see ANY CARE OR COMPASSION at the Select in Atlanta just frustration and heartach.
marquis

Jeffersonville, IN

#67 Aug 22, 2008
its not about fearing someone who is so different because we are all the same just different skin colors. sometimes people fear those who they dont understand. they will not allow themselves to be open minded or open hearted. ky is a state that is rich with ignorance and hatred for things they dont understand. its like we are stuck in a time warp. most folks still havent gotten over those lynching days. but this is all over the country. blacks and other non white people are looked down upon and denied the opportunity to achieve the american dream at a alarming rate.
HEADSTRONG

AOL

#68 Aug 25, 2008
iggyandpebbles wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope whoever this "nurse" was that came up with a positive drug screen and "missing medications" was reported to the board of nursing for an evaluation for suspected chemical dependency.
Nope! I believe that she was one that got a small amount out of that whole deal. The lexington Select is at it again. Seems they are getting rid of more people that I guess knew too much. Or at least thats what a "little Birdie" at that Select has been telling.

Location hidden

#69 Aug 25, 2008
HEADSTRONG wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope! I believe that she was one that got a small amount out of that whole deal. The lexington Select is at it again. Seems they are getting rid of more people that I guess knew too much. Or at least thats what a "little Birdie" at that Select has been telling.
FYI you don't have to be the employer to turn in someone of suspected drug abuse to the board.

Since: Aug 08

Hopatcong, NJ

#70 Sep 1, 2008
So is Select in Lexington still at it? I worked their when it opened in October 02 resigned in July 03 due to the Director of Clinical Services.
WUEURYF

AOL

#71 Sep 2, 2008
Of course they are still at it. Until someone stands up to them they will continue to treat people this way.

Location hidden

#72 Sep 2, 2008
maybe someone should report them to the board of nursing.

Hopatcong, NJ

#73 Sep 2, 2008
iggyandpebbles wrote:
maybe someone should report them to the board of nursing.
Not sure that would help. I do know at one time a couple agencies refused to staff their anymore. I was hoping when UK bought the hospital they would cancel their contract. Would love to know if they extended, and for how long. They had a 5 yr that started in 02 and shouldn't have ended first of last summer.

Location hidden

#74 Sep 2, 2008
i've been to uk and their care is very poor. so i really don't think they would care if good sam/select was any worse. thats just the way teaching hospitals are. the attendings watch over the fellows and resident physicians but they can't oversee everything and they arent God. the hospitals staff to bare minimum. i guess we have to accept the way things are.
rosie greer

Louisville, KY

#75 Sep 7, 2008
Rick left because he couldn't handle the pressure , Janet was let go not because of bias , DCS could not return she was gone too long on sick leave.

Hopatcong, NJ

#76 Sep 7, 2008
rosie greer wrote:
Rick left because he couldn't handle the pressure , Janet was let go not because of bias , DCS could not return she was gone too long on sick leave.
Is Janet the Director of HR? Why was she let go?
A LOVING DAUGHTER

Orange Park, FL

#77 Sep 12, 2008
Today, I happened upon this forum quite by accident and after reading the posts here, I find some most troubling comments. Patients being neglected, staff sleeping on the job, staff taking patient's medications, fake reports and concerns by staff about discrimination. Amazing! It's no wonder that after 21 days in one of Select Specialty's facilities my father died of pneumonia, staph infection, deyhrdration, malnutrition and an abdominal infection. He was sent there for "rehab" and ended up DEAD!!!! I will say this, it sounds like the priorites of the staff's comfort, pay and their social concerns, not the care of their patients are uppermost in these facilities. WE put trust in the medical profession (this means the staff) to take care of the patients that are intrusted to you. I can no longer see, touch or speak to him. While concerns about working conditions are valid, taking care of the patients should take the priority as grievances have their place off the floor. It seems the ultimate price is(was) paid by someone trying to get well and go home!
WUEURYF

AOL

#78 Sep 13, 2008
I am so sorry to hear about your father and the lack of care given to him by the staff of Select. The people that have posted most of these comments are the few that are standing up for patients just like your father that deserve the care that anyone would want for their family members. PLEASE dont let your fathers death go without someone being held accountable. If we can all just stand up against this company then maybe there will never be another story like yours that ends in the loss of a family member.
A LOVING DAUGHTER wrote:
Today, I happened upon this forum quite by accident and after reading the posts here, I find some most troubling comments. Patients being neglected, staff sleeping on the job, staff taking patient's medications, fake reports and concerns by staff about discrimination. Amazing! It's no wonder that after 21 days in one of Select Specialty's facilities my father died of pneumonia, staph infection, deyhrdration, malnutrition and an abdominal infection. He was sent there for "rehab" and ended up DEAD!!!! I will say this, it sounds like the priorites of the staff's comfort, pay and their social concerns, not the care of their patients are uppermost in these facilities. WE put trust in the medical profession (this means the staff) to take care of the patients that are intrusted to you. I can no longer see, touch or speak to him. While concerns about working conditions are valid, taking care of the patients should take the priority as grievances have their place off the floor. It seems the ultimate price is(was) paid by someone trying to get well and go home!
Sue

Buford, GA

#79 Sep 16, 2008
I understand totally where you are coming from. I posted #62.. And I do agree with the previous post "hold those that are-- accountable!" I do not feel that my Father suffered for as long as he did for no reason what so ever. I believe there needs to be a whole lot more of public awarness about these Select Hospitals..
Here is a list of offices to send a complaint letter to, and most by law HAVE to hold an investigation.
--Your local Medical Care Foundation
--D.H.R. Department of Human Resources--(office of regulatory services)
-----Look up addresses on line------
--they are JCAHO accredited, so the Joint Commission
The Joint Commission
601 13th Street, NW
Suite 560 South
Washington, DC 20005
or email them at :
[email protected]

I would also send a complaint letter to whom ever refered you to Select.
Also-- You or if your Mother (the beneficiary) is still living- call and request a medicare summary (by law they have to provide)
---- and if I were you I would request the full records from the hospital. ASAP
How do I know all of this? I am doing it. It is hard to face- but I believe in my heart that my Father did not suffer in vein. There is one investigation started, two pending and three doctors will also be investigated. There are so many things wrong in the records- I can not even begin to mention!
I hope this is not overwhelming for you, but it is my belief it is better to do something than nothing.
take care, I know first hand it is not easy.
SUE..........
A LOVING DAUGHTER wrote:
Sue

Buford, GA

#80 Oct 5, 2008
Where did you all go? Everyone stopped chatting...... Scared? I'm not.....
Hello-?--------
Sue
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

AOL

#81 Oct 6, 2008
We are still here and we arent afraid to talk either Sue.Some of us are already in the process of taking on Select and some of us have already won against them. But either way we want Select to 1 realize the lack of care that our families are getting and get rid of those giving this poor care or 2 GET OUT OF THE BUISNESS and since #2 isnt likely to happen then they need to realize those who are willing to give quality care and stop letting those get walked all over by all of those that are there for nothing more then a paycheck and do more "ass kissing" then caring for those that trust them and get them out and be the quality facilitys that they claim to be or continue to talk cheap talk and have many more lawsuits as these which have been filed and continue until someone such as JCAHO closes their doors forever in every state. They need to realize that we arent going to continue to let our family members die at the hands of those who did not care in the first place and those who did are no longer there to see that they get that care they gave.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
When will they learn? The 'Trump Curse' does ex... 2 min Two cents 18
Running against Kim Davis 25 min Two cents 148
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 35 min effem 170,545
The end of republican rule is over 1 hr EIIa 12
Something Unethical Is Happened On This Liberal... 7 hr Liberal Mental Di... 15
Democrats caught on tape 7 hr A Friend Called V... 2
We know black people and 8 hr UnPolitically Cor... 4

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages