Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital ...

Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital of race bias

There are 271 comments on the Kentucky.com story from Jul 25, 2007, titled Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital of race bias. In it, Kentucky.com reports that:

Six current or former employees of Select Specialty Hospital have filed a federal lawsuit against the Lexington facility, alleging racial discrimination and retaliation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kentucky.com.

laughing at fools

AOL

#42 Jan 17, 2008
Look here "Nurse" you and your friends are full of SHIT when you yell racial discrimination. Rick didnt leave when you and your friends filed your little suit and the DCS or as you call it DCN was fired for the way she handled a drug screen. You should have taken the change they offered for you to go on your way. There is NO ONE that works for SSH that supports this lawsuit and its bad when people that no longer work for them support your lawsuit either.Com panies make changes and not for the reasons you and your "flunkys" claim. No one in their right minds that know all of you will be there to show any support, unless you plan to share your "wealth"......lmao !
RNBSN

AOL

#43 Jan 30, 2008
I am a former employee RN BSN at a Select Specialty Hospital along the Eastern coastal US..... I was forced to resign when I refused to "go along" with their lies and cover up of poor patient care, discrimminatory practices,and gross violations. Eventually, the gross misconduct and negligence resulted in a patient's sad situation including death. Several times I approached my CEO about low standards of care, violation of company policies family complaints....It was so bad that former patients' families would approach me in public and scold me for the care they received...as if I was the sole representative for Select. I told my CEO of all these concerns....NOTHING WAS DONE! All complaints were ignored and hence patient care was HORRIBLE! Not only myself but several other RN's spoke up about the conditions...nothing was ever done! Many qualtiy great RN's quit.....after the frustration of not having these issues looked at! I reported my concerns to the Compliance line and of course as I have read here....Corporate, after failing to get back to me at the stated time as they claim was a result of "computer error"...... stated my claims were "UN-SUBSTANTIATED!" Many of my co workers continue to experience discrimanatory practices and again.....nothing is ever done about it. I have concluded that this is Select's way of doing things. They seem to care less about patient care and quality improvement. It sickens me. I hope that eventually they will simply SHUT THE ENTIRE FACILTIES DOWN!

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#44 Jan 30, 2008
RNBSN wrote:
I am a former employee RN BSN at a Select Specialty Hospital along the Eastern coastal US..... I was forced to resign when I refused to "go along" with their lies and cover up of poor patient care, discrimminatory practices,and gross violations. Eventually, the gross misconduct and negligence resulted in a patient's sad situation including death. Several times I approached my CEO about low standards of care, violation of company policies family complaints....It was so bad that former patients' families would approach me in public and scold me for the care they received...as if I was the sole representative for Select. I told my CEO of all these concerns....NOTHING WAS DONE! All complaints were ignored and hence patient care was HORRIBLE! Not only myself but several other RN's spoke up about the conditions...nothing was ever done! Many qualtiy great RN's quit.....after the frustration of not having these issues looked at! I reported my concerns to the Compliance line and of course as I have read here....Corporate, after failing to get back to me at the stated time as they claim was a result of "computer error"...... stated my claims were "UN-SUBSTANTIATED!" Many of my co workers continue to experience discrimanatory practices and again.....nothing is ever done about it. I have concluded that this is Select's way of doing things. They seem to care less about patient care and quality improvement. It sickens me. I hope that eventually they will simply SHUT THE ENTIRE FACILTIES DOWN!
Boy, your idea certainly helps the patients. Not. Another disgruntled employee how sad.
Fighting for rights

AOL

#45 Feb 2, 2008
Like I stated I also turned in those who were falsifying patients documents and was terminated because I did not give up on this one employee and continued to turn this person in along with a L.P.N who also turned this person in and he too was fired for some bogus reason. The patients don't get the care they deserve at the facility.And those who go along with the lower standards of care continue to work for them. Those who question these practices are the ones who are terminated. It goes to show that there is only one thing on their minds and that is the almighty dollar. They fired one employee for patient abuse and yet failed to report this to the proper athority until they recieved a letter from her attorney which they then filed 2 1/2 weeks later. She was found not guilty of any wrong doing but they were fined for not reporting as soon as they cooked up this lie against her.
Nomad

Irvine, CA

#46 Feb 3, 2008
It is most sad and unfortunate that it's often management that sets the standards for behavior. It seems that Select Specialty Hospital accepts the treatment of these nurses and aides as normal and acceptable. I think their true "select specialty" is racism rather than outstanding health care. I hope that anyone who has contributing information that will support these lawsuits will show courage and do the right thing by stepping forward and speaking up. As a fellow nurse, I support them!
Student Nurse

Versailles, KY

#47 Feb 4, 2008
GOD will prevail! I sought him in the very beginning before the idea of a lawsuit ever crossed my mind. All i wanted was to work in an environment free of harrassment, racism, and favoritism. We were all supposed to be professionals. No matter what the mindset of the company is if the people dont have that kind of mentality to begin with it wont prevail. Obviously the atmosphere at Select Specialty Hospital gave already PREJUDICE AND RACIST PEOPLE an open door to do just what they wanted to. Whoever you are that thinks its just about the money for us is a sorry individual. In the beginning I just wanted to work without having to always walk on that floor defending myself for one thing or another. So the comment you made leaves me laughing my *** off too. Because you have no idea what your talking about your merely speaking without knowing all the facts.
Fighting for rights

AOL

#48 Feb 6, 2008
YOu ALL showed your ass's by not coming to work in uniform,coming in when you please and flaunting it in the face of staff that you were filing a lawsuit on the crazy accusations that you and your kronies have worked up. Especially Cabrina how are you going to be under "light duty" and go and have sex in the parking garage? And why would anyone want a nurse back in I.C.U that almost killed a patient already when she DID get to work in the I.C.U?And who in their right mind wouldnt question a positive drug screen when the results matched the drugs taken from a patient? I hope that they offer you something so you will take this shit and shut up with it! Everyone knows that you are nothing but money hungry and seek easy money when you think you can find it. And stop mentioning God in this, if you were a TRUE christian you would know that this is nothing but LIES drummed up by some balck women that use the racial discrimination cries to get quick money! YOU ALL should be ashamed of yourselves of using what actually DID happen to people in the past to benifit your pockets!
nobodypays attention

Brunswick, ME

#49 Apr 7, 2008
we have similar problems in maine
certain employees align themselves with management and the rest get the shaft.
some have taken gifts form patients -gift certificates worth 75.00. they have even ordered tickets to local games and the invoice wnet to the company. or how about an employee that brings her teenage daughter in and she go through charts and pays on the computor etc. what is hippa anyway? I got in big trouble and was on the sh-- list for letting someone know. at one time our facility was so dirty that mice poop was on every shelf and corner and all the dishes . all the therapist left their dishes so disease is like breeding. the desks are piled high with patient charts and papers with food and everything else on them. they get away with what ever they wan
Select Corp

Canton, OH

#50 May 7, 2008
laughing at fools wrote:
Look here "Nurse" you and your friends are full of SHIT when you yell racial discrimination. Rick didnt leave when you and your friends filed your little suit and the DCS or as you call it DCN was fired for the way she handled a drug screen. You should have taken the change they offered for you to go on your way. There is NO ONE that works for SSH that supports this lawsuit and its bad when people that no longer work for them support your lawsuit either.Com panies make changes and not for the reasons you and your "flunkys" claim. No one in their right minds that know all of you will be there to show any support, unless you plan to share your "wealth"......lmao !
ALL SELECT SPECIALTY HOSPITALS CROSS THE COUNTRY DELIVER POOR QUALITY...... THEY HAVE A BADDDDDDDD NAME AND I WOULD NOT WORKED FOR THEM. THEY DELIVER POOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CARE. THAT IS A FACT. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE DOLLAR BILL WITH THOSE PEOPLE
Okaydokie

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#51 May 23, 2008
I recently experienced the "scurge of Select" Image that during an employment interview, the director of nursing was so hostile, I left thinking there was no way I would ever consider employment with this company. I decided that the treatment during this interview was so egregious, I contacted their corporate office and complained. A very nice man returned my call, and I felt satisfied after I expressed my concern.
Six weeks after this horrendous interview, the company calls me back, asking me to apply for the position again. Only this time they asked to video tape the interview. I agreed, thinking I would give them another chance.
I would never have imagined what would happen next. It is really beyond my comprehension that this company has such brass_______
The sole reason for calling me back for another interview was to make a training film for their management team. They had no intention of hiring me. I will be sending them a bill for my time.
I can only imagine what it would be like to work for such a company. What they don't realize, it that they about to reach the saturation point in our small community because their reputation recedes them now.....no one wants to work for theses very odd people.
SSHSerious ISSUES

Sioux Falls, SD

#52 Jun 28, 2008
Reading the many negative posts I feel are valid. I hardly think people would take time out to post their thoughts, feelings and views on the internet if what they were saying was a total and complete lie! That would be deformation right? Slander and so on. Trust me, I am a family member and I can validate what some of these folks are saying about the care and cover-up and it goes on in MOST hospitals.
People in the healthcare field need to make a decision, either take care of people properly or change professions. You have a choice. Itís simple. Be fair to yourself and others. Do the right thing!
wildfowers54

Tallahassee, FL

#53 Jul 1, 2008
on June 29th i didnt go to work because my schedule said i was off that day. I recieved a call from Connie the acting charge nurse. She stated i was suppose to be at work. I appoliguzed and said I wasnt aware and would be dressed and be there promptly. She stated, theres no need we are handeling it. Our conversation ended and I stayed home that day. The next morning, june 30th I reported to wrok to find my name not scheduled with any patients on our patient assigment board. The acting DON, Lori, Since they fired ours recentlty, ask me to wait for her in the break room we need to talk. She took her time and I was clocked infor over an hour. Mind you, this is the first time I have gotten my work days wrong. She didnt end up talking to me and sent me home saying she would call me. A fellow CNA overheard the conversation Connie and I were having and told me she asked Connie why she didnt have me come in. And she was told we have it under control. I am full time and lost that day of work as well as the next day waiting for my acting DON to speak to me. She finally said go home and i will call you. It is now June 1st and she hasnt called me to talk to me yet. I have called her three times and the last time june 1st she said she would call me back. She has failed to call me. I feel as if im being run over. I planed to call the head office but what i have read hear discourages me. I found this sight by error. I work as a CNA for Select in Tallahassee, FL. This worries me but I do plan on calling the labor board. I am a hard worker and have given my all but have found Select to be unfair.
HEADSTRONG

AOL

#54 Jul 4, 2008
Wildflower do NOT let them get away with treating you this way. You fight for your unemployment and anything else that you can Select only keeps those that dont question anything that goes on and the ones that kiss the ass's of the ones doing wrong covering things up. I along with others continue to fight them and not let them get by with treating people this way. This is a on going problem in many of the hospitals that select runs. Keep your head up and fight for your rights!
Concerned

Louisville, OH

#55 Jul 5, 2008
I am a nurse for SSH in the midwest and I am hoping that the person who made this comment isn't a nurse. I would hate to know that other nurses could be so cruel and unprofessional. This is sad. I became a nurse to make a difference, isn't what we do supposed to be about the patient. If laughing at fools is an actual nurse then you need to go back to the basics. You know NURSING 101; then you need to GROW UP! We are nurses for god sake, we are supposed to support one another.
laughing at fools wrote:
Concerned

Louisville, OH

#56 Jul 5, 2008
I work for SSH in Indiana, and what is being said is true. Select needs to have a Corporate wide 360 meeting. For those of you that don't know what a 360 meeting is I'll tell you. Corporate comes in and talks to the employees with ***NO*** management present. The last time this hapened at our facility Corpoate fired our entire management team. This is how change is made. You need to notify Corporate and let them know you want a 360 meeting. It will take more than one person to stand up if you want it to change. You need to stand up and fight for what you believe in. Our facility is once again standing up. Patient care should always come first. We are supposed to be patient advocates. I have been a nurse for several years and I just want you to know I care.
Wondering

AOL

#57 Jul 31, 2008
Ok so many of us agree that Select is wrong in the acts that they allow to happen.BUT how many of you that have posted comments here are willing to stand up to them in court and see that things change?And that the ones that have been done wrong are compensated for what they have went through? Are we willing to really go all the way with fighting this company?
SICK OF IT ALL

Brentwood, TN

#58 Aug 1, 2008
Wondering wrote:
Ok so many of us agree that Select is wrong in the acts that they allow to happen.BUT how many of you that have posted comments here are willing to stand up to them in court and see that things change?And that the ones that have been done wrong are compensated for what they have went through? Are we willing to really go all the way with fighting this company?
SO HOW DO WE GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU WONDERING? YES WE ARE WILLING TO CONTINUE TO STAND UP AGAINST THIS COMPANY NOW GIVE ME A WAY TO CONTACT YOU AND WE CAN PROCEED!
Wondering

AOL

#59 Aug 12, 2008
SICK OF IT ALL wrote:
<quoted text>SO HOW DO WE GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU WONDERING? YES WE ARE WILLING TO CONTINUE TO STAND UP AGAINST THIS COMPANY NOW GIVE ME A WAY TO CONTACT YOU AND WE CAN PROCEED!
YOu can reach me through email and then I can give you my number which TOPIX wont let me post it on here. It is [email protected] would give my name on here but I know that Selects Corp office watch's this VERY close. Maybe if we all stand as one they will do something about the way they are running their "hospitals".
jussme

Shreveport, LA

#60 Aug 14, 2008
Wondering wrote:
Yup, Certainly are!
fed up

Lexington, KY

#61 Aug 14, 2008
jussme wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, Certainly are!
and to you jussme, how do i get in touch with you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlottesville Protesters were paid! It's a fa... 2 min reality 29
show 16 min Tube 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 18 min CCzar 166,447
Who Is Alan Stein Married To? 29 min Moo 31
Vote Donald J Trump 2020!!! 47 min Ask a dumb question 24
Trump Voters Now Living In Regret 55 min Chucky 44
Gray To Move Antebellum Monuments 1 hr Really 241
2004 bookstore (Nov '09) 10 hr TransRanee 7,534

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages