Salvation Army, other charities find ...

Salvation Army, other charities find giving is down

There are 9 comments on the Kentucky.com story from Dec 10, 2010, titled Salvation Army, other charities find giving is down. In it, Kentucky.com reports that:

Sisters, Jennifer Carpenter, left and Jessica Washburn dropped some money in the kettle staffed by Matt Maynard, a seasonal worker for the Salvation Army outside the Big Lots at Hamburg Pavilion in Lexington, Ky., on Wednesday Dec.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kentucky.com.

“People need the TRUTH!”

Since: Dec 10

America

#1 Dec 11, 2010
The Salvation Army
615 Slaters Lane,
Alexandria Virginia 22313
U.S.A.

Last posting: Saturday, September 18, 2010
I have listed the Virginia address, where the National Commander resides and reigns over his kingdom of ministers spread throughout the U.S.A.
This organization is one of the (If not THE) richest charities in the country. They appeal to good-hearted people as a "poor" charity that "does the most good" for people. They help themselves, mostly.
I had opportunity to see them over quite a few years, in various locations. The scam is this:
1. Take some people that attend church for awhile, or the kids of existing officers, send them to "school" and teach them to become officers, then send them out to various cities to either become assistants, or to be in charge of the local organization.
2. Once in charge, these people are not supervised, other than whether they raise their quotas of donations and pay the higher up people a 10% share of their monies raised. Since they are generally ignorant and incompetent, but since they are "ministers", they get away with all kinds of abuse and mismanagement, as well as illegal activities in some cases.
3. To further the problem, The Salvation Army is top heavy with older officers and has huge administrative costs, which they try to disguise to donors as "program" costs. The officers rarely do anything, other than bark orders (no matter how ridiculous), so they have to hire outsiders to do their work, driving costs up even more. Most of their "program" costs are church-related activities, which are basically related to the ministers' costs.
4. The entire organization, including the National Commander, are in the "brotherhood of the church" and refuse to see anything bad or negative about the place, even with proof of problems. Their responses are to dump any complaints back to the original source, or to the persons complained about, for THEM to resolve! That's like asking the fox to resolve the issue of his eating the chickens! Why do they cover up for each other?
*Mainly, to preserve a great deal for their ministers and their families. The organization raises billions yearly (they could pay off the national debt today!), which mainly (I'd estimate 80%) goes to pay for salaries of TSA (The Salvation Army) ministers, their wives, their kids' needs, their vehicles (these are for "church" use, yet are almost always unmarked?), their vehicle gasoline, their vehicle insurance, kids drive the cars too, their home phones, their cell phones, their utilities, their houses (these are usually $500,000 homes in great areas-what's Israel live in?), their trips to "conferences", their full medical/dental for them, spouses and kids (even adult children with them). And, they get food for free, plus petty cash for anything in between.
Not bad, but it gets worse: Each one of these dill rods also has to have an assistant set of officers to run the church, or to run programs, or just to be the whipping boy (if right out of their "college"). Yeah, each set of "assistants" is also given all the freebies listed above.
You could estimate the costs for houses, living expenses and salaries (and retirement perks deferred for them) per couple as $100,000 per year EASILY, and that's not counting the higher up people like in Virginia.
So what happens when you report fraud, mismanagement, abuse or other problems?

“People need the TRUTH!”

Since: Dec 10

America

#2 Dec 11, 2010
*First, they deny or ignore it, hoping it will go away. Then, they take anything you report, send it in total back to the origin of the complaint for them to resolve! Like washing their hands of the problem?? The minister that is responsible for the problem simply either explains it away (this is always taken at their word, since they are "ministers" too), or blames someone else that is not an officer (i.e., throw them under a bus?). In the worst case, such as legal problems (there are documented reports of minister couples having violent DV situations, officers stealing money, officers' kids abusing cars or property, molestation concerns, etc) what does the Salvation Army do?
They simply move the offender to a different location far away. This is regular and common, but they call it "answering the Lord's call to move" or some silly crap, which is used for many things.
People working for The Salvation Army (regular employees) are treated very badly, including harassment by the ministers, other staff, and church people. There is no recourse because of the fact the Salvation Army is seen as a holy institution, no one believes it, especially the public that keeps giving them money. They pay well below the local average in wages, explaining that the employee is working for a "poor" organization doing the "lord's work" and shouldn't expect high wages-most employees are under Federal Poverty guidelines due to the organization's own set salary scales! When the officers hire their own kids or parents to work (yep, its nepotism, happens ALL the time), they get paid above average wages, or overpaid for less work. Nice.
Why are wages low? To pay for the extravagant lifestyles of many of the officers! They run low on money due to mismanagement, they simply lay off employees and make the remaining crew work harder-the officers don't help, they are "busy".
Contact current and ex employees, they'll tell you the real story about the harassment and abuse by officers.
By the way, when you donate your property, it is sold and the money goes into big old trust funds that are invested to make even more money; these are used to buy the big houses the officers live in.
Start with the local Salvation Army property lists- just look at the values, go see the houses. If you investigate officers, just look at the costs in their accounting offices for just them and their families-forget the "church" cost excuses. Every local Salvation Army officer is taught to "poor mouth". They appear pious on TV and say "we're not going to be able to feed anyone this year" and look at the ground. Donations then pour in, usually more money than anything else, all is good again. Same routines with special events, toys, programs, etc. They fundraise to pay themselves/buy new cars.

My advice to any good church person, Christian, or donor: DO NOT give the Salvation Army a dime, now or ever!! They are a classic Rip-Off. Don't believe the lies about "doing the most good". Those Red Kettles raise money that never sees a poor person; it goes into the "general fund" which is the officers' pockets! Any program run there (like shelters, food, etc) is paid for mainly by government funding (oh yes, they get HUD money, state money, local government money, FEMA) that restricts the usage-they've tried for years to circumvent government regulations to allow use in the church, to no avail.
The Salvation Army was a great organization before 1980. They were respected and built a wonderful reputation. Then, they got greedy. Now, it's all about getting a piece of the pie for themselves. In the pre-greed era, the Sally ministers were few, worked very hard and lived simply. They helped people in need, had few staff and little administrative support. Now, its PR directors, HR departments, Admin support, mail appeal (yes, they pay companies to raise even more money!), wills and estates experts, legal teams, IT departments- none of this crap is program related!
Whisleblower2010

United States

#3 Mar 19, 2011
I was "laid off" shortly after reporting illegal activity to the Major at a Southern Salvation Army facility. You are correct about everything you state above.
The government should investigate the Food Stamp departments of each Salvation Army facility. Its a perfect example of how they are not for the poor. Let me tell you what I witnessed during one occasion. A man, a drug and alcohol rehab center client, was sent to the Salvation Army Food Stamp office. He was mandated by the court to go to a center for 6 months and he choose the Salvation Army. He did not know about the SA. The Salvation Army Food Stamp representative told him to sign over his food stamps to the Salvation Army while he is in the program. He told her that he couldn't because the food stamps went to his wife and newborn child. Without the food stamps, his wife and newborn would not eat. Plus, he wasn't making any money. He was doing hard manuel labor Monday through Saturday at the Salvation Army warehouse, but SA did not pay him. He did not receive a paycheck. The Food Stamp representive was heartless, ungodly, and cold. The representive told him that he had to sign over his food stamps or be kicked out of the program. The Major didn't care about his wife or newborn baby. Money was important to Major so he could take care of his own luxurious lifestyle. He only cares of taking advantage of the poor..........taking their money......every last penny.
MARCH19

United States

#4 Mar 20, 2011
The Major I worked for had no conscious and was very corrupt. Ethical and just Salvation Army employees were always fired if they stated that they would not go along with the Salvation Army's theft operation and corrupt financial schemes. Some of the theft operations included the trailer operators selling items off the donation trailer and giving the Major 90 percent of the money on a daily basis. This is money the Major would pocket and use for his own personal reasons. Another theft operation involved the Major's outside nonSalvation Army business partners visit the auction area and being given expensive donations for free on a daily basis. These business partners would sell the expensive donations for the Major and give the Major his personal cut of 80 percent which the Major would pocket and use for his own personal reasons.

The finance directors and accountants who work for the Majors are unjust people. They get rewarded for being unjust. Their pension packages are as big as the Major's pension package. Plus their salaries are the only high salaries along with the Major's assistant who protects and covers up his unjust deeds.
SouthernSally

United States

#5 Mar 21, 2011
I received a bill with some other papers one day. When I looked down at the bill I thought that this must be a billing mistake. The bill was from a GUN SHOP. The bill was addressed to the Salvation Army location I worked for. A small note on the bottom stated that the Major had visited the gun shop in August 2010 and purvhased 3 beer can holders, guns, and rifles. The bill amounted to $1690 dollars. I gave the bill to the accountant who immediately paid the bill with the location's petty cash.

American you are paying for these greedy Salvation Army Officer's expensive gun collecting hobbies,$500,000 homes, monthly utility and entertainment bills, luxury cars,$200,000 RVs, luxury vacations and conferences, weekly grocery and restaurant bills, and other shopping ventures. They get all of these perks yet they only work 20 hours a week at most. Most only have an associates degree from the Salvation Army college in Georgia or CA. 80% of your donated money and goods go to help these Salvation Army Officer's rich lifestyles.

Most regular Salvation Army employees earn min wage and work hard for it. The beneficiaries in the Salvation Army programs work hard and don't get paid because their work is classified as "work therapy". Working Monday through Saturday for 8 hours per day should be classified as work. Its ridiculous that the government let's them get away with calling it work therapy. Beneficiaries are mistreated and essential treated like slaves by the Salvation Army officers. There is nothing spiritual about this organization. Its one big lie they continue to sell to the American public.
ShockedBySalvati onArmy

United States

#6 Mar 21, 2011
The Salvation Army Dynasty. The Salvation Army officer's children and grandchildren are the ones being admitted into the Salvation Army college, where many officers earn an associates degree to become Majors. This degree teaches them how to run a Salvation Army center, which generates millions of dollars each year.

The Salvation Army advisory boards and kettle campaigne members include judges, police officers, football team representatives, real estate developers, government employees, and politicans. Jenna Bush will be speaking at the Salvation Army's Spring 2011 Disney conference for Salvation Army officers. Joel Osteen of Lakewood church meets with Salvation Army officers on a regular basis. There are a lot of political connections.
justme

Lafayette, LA

#7 Apr 21, 2011
I personally, know several officers and such and can attest that this is now how it is handled locally, that there is accounting and transparency in the workings of the local salvation army and they do a tremendous service. They do not have a food stamp office ( not in either city that i have seen/know people involved with) In fact, the officers involved in the local city organization has pushed for transparency and has been attributed with increasing monies to effective and proven programs, that are working. Charity Navigator is not influenced by outside forces.. if you have a question about a charity you really should take a look at what they have to say. While I am a firm believe in whistle blowing when appropriate, I think whistle blowing should be done in forums that allow for proof that the whistle blower is whom they claim to be and have been involved as they say that they have been. It is too easy to bad mouth a person or a charity without any consequences. visit a few websites and verify the real information about the charities.. http://ago.mo.gov/cgi-bin/charity/orgSearch.c...

There are many ways to check the legitamacy of all charities.. charity navigator as well as many others, local BBB, state attorney general's offices.. etc
test

Hassocks, UK

#9 Oct 6, 2011
test
Elizabeth

Wooroolin, Australia

#10 Nov 29, 2011
Don't give to The Salvation Army. If you must, then be very sure your donation is going to where it is supposed to go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clown Cars 8 min EIIa 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 14 min Paganbirdkeeper 167,588
Interacial Marriages up by 30% RECORD BREAKING ... 14 min EIIa 76
2004 bookstore (Nov '09) 1 hr Right now 7,596
ICE tore them up in Louisville yesterday. 1 hr Unhinged 11
Sean Spicer Trolls Trump lol 2 hr Mary 18
Any transsexuals in Lexington (Jun '09) 3 hr Katman 90

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages