First Prev
of 4
Next Last
whateveryo

Louisville, KY

#1 Sep 18, 2009
anybody have any info on this gym? good, bad, whatever?
DGH

Evansville, IN

#2 Sep 19, 2009
I have been a member since last part of last year. Pretty good place as far as I know.
no way

Richmond, KY

#3 Sep 20, 2009
yuck, yuck, yuck. it is disgusting. stay away if you can. absolutely gross. health department was called on the pool, they were cited. did i say it was gross?
im from menifee

Lexington, KY

#4 Sep 20, 2009
Well I do not know about the health dept being called on them. They have to display their health dept grades just like a restaurant I assume. Ask to see the scores if you are worried about that. Werent they the ones that was Golds or whatever before? Only thing I have against all them is that they say you win a free membership, they fail to tell you its only for 3 days or a week or month etc until you go there and they either try to sucker you or do sucker you into buying a membership for like $40 a month or more. I used to belong to the Rock, 2 years ago it was $30 a year and the only thing they do not have is a swimming pool and trainers hassling you to buy their services every other day that I could see. When I get back to work full time I think I will rejoin them.
im from menifee

Lexington, KY

#5 Sep 20, 2009
AND YES I meant the Rock is $30 ( or was at time, may have gone up a little now) A YEAR, not a MONTH. I had a membership with Golds in 1998 and was in a horrific car wreck and they did not want to let me out of the contract without letters from my neurosurgeon, physical therapist etc. WHo in their right mind would sign a contract and pay $36 a month for 6 months and just stop going if they really was not in a wreck? I guess maybe some would but I sure didnt.
not for me

Taylorsville, KY

#6 Sep 20, 2009
The name alone makes me cringe. Lexington is not what I would call "urban" horrible name choice. Beside that, the point of whether it is a great gym or not depends on what you are looking for....

The facilities are nice, but if you go during peak hours you will likely wait for several machines. The "type" of people that frequent are the meat heads and others very worried about making sure they look good while they are working out. Not that that is a bad thing if that is what you like. You will see lots of girls with full makeup on...lots of drama...with that being said it just depends on you. I wouldn't avoid the place just because they had a pool problem once upon a time. It appears to be a clean place to me and with as many people that go there I would be shocked if they didn't correct it right away.

Your other options are Fitness 19 (still hoping the one in Hamburg goes up), it's only 12 per month. Crossfit which will charge you waayyy more than Urban Active, Promatix, YMCA and I am sure there are several that I have missed.

Good Luck they all have different "types" of people that frequent them. Urban Active to me is nothing but putting on a show containing a bunch of people that care too much about what other people think and who they are going to pick up, but maybe that is what you like:) Tis up to you! Good Luck!
im from menifee

Lexington, KY

#7 Sep 20, 2009
That is what I like about the Rock. Noone goes there to put on a show. It is inside a church and nice but they are not holy rollers who make you go to church sort of thing. I have never had to wait over 10 minutes on any one machine. Like I said, they do not have a pool but what the hell, I do not even like INDOOR pools in the winter. In the summer if I want to swim I can go to the pools here or the lake or river or back home to Eastern Ky.

Since: Aug 09

United States

#8 Sep 20, 2009
If you read craigslist missed connections there are at least 5 ads a week for m2m . Whats up with that?Is it one guy hitting on all these guys or are most of the men there bi?
no way

Richmond, KY

#9 Sep 20, 2009
the complaint about the health department is on the lfucg website. i used this violation as an indicator of the multiple problems that go on in the facility. toilets don't flush, equipment doesn't work and is not fixed quickly, foul odor in the air, classes are tight. i go to the gym to work out, not look at myself in mirror.

Since: Sep 09

Lexington, KY

#10 Sep 25, 2009
I would check out Lexington Athletic Club if you live on the south side of town.

“Bitchin' ain't Easy”

Since: Mar 09

United States of Obama

#11 Sep 25, 2009
Im Hungry wrote:
If you read craigslist missed connections there are at least 5 ads a week for m2m . Whats up with that?Is it one guy hitting on all these guys or are most of the men there bi?
LOL! You noticed that too?!

“Bitchin' ain't Easy”

Since: Mar 09

United States of Obama

#12 Sep 25, 2009
I use to be a member at Gold's Gym, now called Urban Active. They have lots & lots of equipment and it is nice.

I don't know about the pool...I never get in public pools. I always used the sauna which was okay. I would recommend, but I don't like their membership fees.

If you don't care about how much a membership costs, I would say go for it.

Since: Sep 09

Louisville, KY

#13 Sep 25, 2009
I was a memeber of the one on Palumbo for a about a month...(used my military status to get out of the contract). It's definately not worth what they charge. I would say Lexington Athletic Club if you need the amenities that Urban offers. If not, try Fitness 19.
long-time member

Dayton, OH

#14 Feb 26, 2010
Constantly bringing in new members to replace the "Resolutioners" (you know - the ones that join after the holidays to try and lose all the weight they gained eating too much, then give up sometime in March?). Good gym with plenty of machines. Somewhat of a meat market, but the 'scenery' is good.

Big proglem: broken treadmills and elliptical machines, Cardio Theatres (the tv's mounted to the units) that seem to never get fixed. They ignore complaints. To be expected by a place run by a bunch of 20-somethings.

Good gym but machines need attention. Only stay because it's convenient.
Past Member

Georgetown, KY

#15 Feb 26, 2010
This so called "Urban Active" seems like some kind of rich persons business toy. The ppl that go their are all thin and buff as can be giving it a meet and meat apearance...The hours are unreasonable to anyone that isn't on salary pay...and the ppl that work there (if you can find them) always seem to be looking down their nose at you. To sum it all up: If you're looking to lose some serious weight this is not the place to go due to an uncomfortable evnironment, stupid hours, and unfriendly expensive service.

And it is an unsanitary place...they have no one monitering if any machines are properly wiped down etc
meat head

Richmond, KY

#16 Feb 26, 2010
I've worked out at Urban Active several times and it's not a bad gym. As far as equipment goes, it's tip top.....Many of the people on here that commented about the atmosphere however, were right on....It is a meat market, but if you're there to workout and not worry about what others are doing it's an okay place....In my opinion though, LAC is the best gym in town for your moneys worth. The sales people are very nice, they don't hassle you to join TODAY. the trainers are very laid back and never bother people to sign up with them. If I ever move back to Lexington, my home is at LAC for my gym money.
the hills have eyes

Virgie, KY

#17 Feb 26, 2010
ok
Curves

Lexington, KY

#18 Feb 26, 2010
Where is the Rock located?
BAD PLACE

Lexington, KY

#19 Jul 3, 2010
not for me wrote:
The name alone makes me cringe. Lexington is not what I would call "urban" horrible name choice. Beside that, the point of whether it is a great gym or not depends on what you are looking for....
The facilities are nice, but if you go during peak hours you will likely wait for several machines. The "type" of people that frequent are the meat heads and others very worried about making sure they look good while they are working out. Not that that is a bad thing if that is what you like. You will see lots of girls with full makeup on...lots of drama...with that being said it just depends on you. I wouldn't avoid the place just because they had a pool problem once upon a time. It appears to be a clean place to me and with as many people that go there I would be shocked if they didn't correct it right away.
Your other options are Fitness 19 (still hoping the one in Hamburg goes up), it's only 12 per month. Crossfit which will charge you waayyy more than Urban Active, Promatix, YMCA and I am sure there are several that I have missed.
Good Luck they all have different "types" of people that frequent them. Urban Active to me is nothing but putting on a show containing a bunch of people that care too much about what other people think and who they are going to pick up, but maybe that is what you like:) Tis up to you! Good Luck!
I worked at Urban Active for 3 years. The facilities are nice, and it looks great from the outside. However, it is ran like a sweat shop and the employees are paid peanuts so the big wigs can get rich. The contracts lock people into unrealistic commitments and waste a lot of money. If you want results, go to a small gym and work hard.
Fix it damnit

Dayton, OH

#20 Dec 8, 2010
Once again, as we approach the time of year where all the "resolutioners" come in after making their new year's commitments to lose weight and shape up, they seem to be neglecting some of the equipment.

Just this week, had to try 3 different treadmills to find one that had a working "Cardio Theatre" attached. You complain. They do nothing. Annoying for the high price members have to pay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the VMAs 33 min Ronnie 4
Is Bill Meck back 35 min Todd Padget 7
amazon.com DRAMA (May '09) 47 min Amazon filter 117
Full Disclosure Demanded for Both Candidates! 1 hr Donald 9
more WEINER woes 1 hr rags 8
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Lanora 151,988
what about Horseshoes? 3 hr Ole John 9

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages