Just Me

Louisville, KY

#1 May 2, 2010
I have been thinking of going back to church (havent been since I was a child) & have been looking for a "good" church to attend. My neighbor keeps trying to get me to go to his church- Clays Mill Baptist w Fugate as the main pastor. I havent gone due to the bad things I have heard about this church (ie,.. cult, hate-group, prejudiced, judgmental etc,...). So my question is does anyone have any thoughts or insights I should consider before attendng there? Or is there a church here in Lexington that someone would recommend?
recommendations

Frankfort, KY

#2 May 3, 2010
Just Me-
I know of a few churches you might like to visit. These are churches where friends of mine go and they really enjoy going and they are loved and cared for at these places. I'll list them in alphabetical order so there's no bias: Crossroads Christian Church, Embrace Church, Northeast Christian Church, Quest Community Church, Southland Christian Church, and Vineyard. All of these are places where you can expect to be free to learn about Jesus at your own pace and not be judged for any reason. I believe all of them have websites you can check out. All the best...
Just Me

Louisville, KY

#3 May 3, 2010
Recommendations - thank you! Will look at the websites & check them out.:)
This one

Winchester, KY

#4 May 3, 2010
Agree

Fairborn, OH

#5 May 3, 2010
Southland.
Rock Steady

Louisville, KY

#6 May 4, 2010
Wait, you said you wanted a "good" church? Those don't exist. They all lie to you. They'll say they love you, while crying like spoiled children the minute you show any sign of free thought, claiming they "feah fo' yo' evalastin' soul". And then once your mind submits, they use any excuse they can to get you to give them money. They're all the same. Don't waste your time.

Crack-Rabbit

“Lights Keep Coal Miners Busy..”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#7 May 4, 2010
Rock Steady wrote:
Wait, you said you wanted a "good" church? Those don't exist. They all lie to you. They'll say they love you, while crying like spoiled children the minute you show any sign of free thought, claiming they "feah fo' yo' evalastin' soul". And then once your mind submits, they use any excuse they can to get you to give them money. They're all the same. Don't waste your time.
That sounds like the Government.....
Rock Steady

Louisville, KY

#8 May 9, 2010
Crack-Rabbit wrote:
<quoted text>
That sounds like the Government.....
Man, what a coincidence.
Fred

Sainte Genevieve, MO

#9 Jan 11, 2013
You're definitely wise to stay away from Clays Mill Road Baptist Church. A personal friend of mine had a run-in with Jeff Fugate about 20 years ago. Let's just say that Fugate acted in a VERY un-Christlike, Pharisaical (spelling?), arrogant, and judgmental manner. That alone right there, according to the Bible, DISQUALIFIES him from being a pastor (1 Timothy 3:1-7). BTW, I also know some other things about Fugate that you don't WANT to know.

I would recommend the Church at Tatesbrook instead. It's not all that big, but everyone's like family there, and they're at 3724 Appian Way in Lexington. If you go there, tell Pastor Mike I sent ya!:-)

Blessings,
Fred
Just Me wrote:
I have been thinking of going back to church (havent been since I was a child) & have been looking for a "good" church to attend. My neighbor keeps trying to get me to go to his church- Clays Mill Baptist w Fugate as the main pastor. I havent gone due to the bad things I have heard about this church (ie,.. cult, hate-group, prejudiced, judgmental etc,...). So my question is does anyone have any thoughts or insights I should consider before attendng there? Or is there a church here in Lexington that someone would recommend?
me

Lexington, KY

#10 Jan 11, 2013
Turning point church!!!!
Still searching

Lexington, KY

#11 Jan 12, 2013
Be weary of Quest Community Church. they encourage unhealthy behaviors, neglect of families in order to serve the church, and unhealthy boundaries. Many have called it a cult, and other local church leaders have agreed. do your research.
Bible

Taylorsville, KY

#12 Mar 2, 2013
Try Fayette Church of Christ
Fugate

Jasper, IN

#13 Mar 2, 2013
Pastor Fugate preaches from the bible. He don't sugar coat anything and tells it like it is. This may offend some people but I would rather hear the truth like Fugate preaches rather than a sugar coated watered down version of the bible. He is a well educated pastor and knows the bible in and out. He tells you the path to eternal life. This may mean that you need to give up some of the things you are doing in your life now. But at least he's not lying to you. I don't care what anyone says, Clays Mill Road is the best church around. The members are nice to anyone who wants to visit. I visited the church for nearly a year before joining and accepting Jesus Christ into my heart as my personal savior and became a member. They have the best children's church around. Many educated youth ministers on hand. Great place for kids to learn about the bible. Don't believe the hater's. Go see for your self.
English teacher

Tucker, GA

#14 Mar 2, 2013
He don't sugar coat? He DOESN'T sugar coat.
Fred

Sainte Genevieve, MO

#15 Mar 7, 2013
To whoever posted here as "Fugate", first of all, I'm not doubting your story. However, there are some SERIOUS problems I have with the Independent Fundamental Baptist movement.

First of all, Jeff Fugate is a big fan of the late Jack Hyles, who was the pastor of First Baptist Church of Hammond, IN from 1959 until his death in 2001. While he continues to be adored by many in the IFB movement, there was also a very dark side to Jack Hyles, with all the details found at http://www.biblicalevangelist.org/jack_hyles_... -- BTW, this was written by someone who used to attend FBC-Hammond and saw most if not all of what he wrote firsthand.

But that's only the tip of the iceberg -- for a thorough and complete look at the problems I have with the Independent Fundamental Baptist movement, check out http://www.baptistdeception.com , http://www.stufffundieslike.com , and http://johnshore.com/2012/09/11/the-fundament...

Besides, with what I said earlier about Fugate's temper...well, the Bible has something to say about that -- and this is straight from the King James Version, no less:

"1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3 Not given to wine, NO STRIKER, not greedy of filthy lucre; but PATIENT, NOT A BRAWLER, not covetous; 4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; 5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) 6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil." -- 1 Timothy 3:1-7, emphasis mine.

Interestingly enough, the IFB movement claims to believe the Bible. Yet, given Jeff Fugate's hostile reactions to those who do not fit his particular brand of Christianity, he is completely and totally unfit to be a pastor, and he is just one of many reasons why I will NEVER be an Independent Fundamental Baptist.
Christian

Morehead, KY

#16 Mar 7, 2013
You should visit Fayette Church of Christ. We are a wonderful group. We patterned our worship after the Christians in the New Testament. I believe you will like it there.
Forgiven

Lebanon, KY

#17 Mar 7, 2013
Quest has changed my life, and for the better. It may not be for everyone, but who ever said church couldn't be enjoyable. They are accepting of everyone!!
Still searching wrote:
Be weary of Quest Community Church. they encourage unhealthy behaviors, neglect of families in order to serve the church, and unhealthy boundaries. Many have called it a cult, and other local church leaders have agreed. do your research.
God is a Myth

Lexington, KY

#18 Mar 7, 2013
OP, You are on the path to understanding... avoid that Bronze Age nonsense. Get an education; then one doesn't have to rely on the lies of some preacher.
hmmm

Milwaukee, WI

#19 Mar 8, 2013
To Fred,
While I appreciate you quoting The King James text, I gather that Fugate allegedly struck a person.
And be it the truth that there are qualifications for a man to pastor a church lets keep in mind that he is a sinner saved by God through Grace.
With all of this being said, any man that is called by God to be a pastor is just that...a man. He is and will always be a sinner. He is in this world. He is not of this world. Very hard road to travel. Turning the cheek seems to be a constant passage for bullies to relentlessly repeat when dealing with not only a shepherd but his sheep as well.
I am no saying that a pastor should conduct himself in this manner but he's still humanand has every right to defend himself. Just as any one person would.
People put preachers and their families on perches and expect them to live above and beyond everybody else in every aspect of life. It just can't be done. By no one.
I am not affiliated with CMBC or Fugate. I am aware of their beliefs.
So please note that pastors have a right to defend themselves, their pulpit, their flock.
Again,I appreciate your knowledge of scripture Mr Fred.
To the individual looking for a church home...this is a long and grueling feat...if looking for truth.
If looking for Godly reasons, you will need lots of prayer.
However, if you are looking to be in a church that satisfies the body and not the soul....the selection of churches is a dime a dozen.
God bless your search. Know that there are true churches...few....but you have to have diligence to find them.
In the days of Noah, there were a total of eight souls saved, chosen. God selects his chosen. If you are His child he will guide you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary falling AGAIN.....& AGAIN 9 min Marilyn Manson 2
No Job Colin Kaepatrick 20 min The Truth 15
Watch how libturds try to blame women for 'aski... 27 min UnPolitically Cor... 12
2004 bookstore (Nov '09) 29 min Imwillingifuare 7,633
The God Emperor & Bannon: Working the establish... 1 hr UnPolitically Cor... 4
News Laurel County Sees Increase In Panhandling 1 hr thomas j 10
Russian Trolls, right here on Topix 1 hr UnPolitically Cor... 5
redneck aka skeeter, white guy, dumbazz 2 hr EIIa 35
********** Life is good in Trumpland! ************ (Feb '17) 3 hr Redneck 1,105
Libs, what would make you happy? 4 hr Uncle Ben 174

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages