the bluegrass conspiracy
ohio cowgirl

AOL

#22 Jul 8, 2009
I've never heard of this book, where can I get a copy?? Is it still in publication?? And is that what it is called, The Bluegrass Conspiracy???

“unapologetically liberal”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#23 Jul 9, 2009
ohio cowgirl wrote:
I've never heard of this book, where can I get a copy?? Is it still in publication?? And is that what it is called, The Bluegrass Conspiracy???
it's still in print.......you may try some of the used bookstores. I was right in the middle of this as a hippie in the 70's. Gatewood made his name defending a lot of the people they entrapped. he was one of the best criminal lawyers around in his day and still have faith in his abilities.
ohio cowgirl

AOL

#25 Jul 9, 2009
Dreas wrote:
<quoted text>
it's still in print.......you may try some of the used bookstores. I was right in the middle of this as a hippie in the 70's. Gatewood made his name defending a lot of the people they entrapped. he was one of the best criminal lawyers around in his day and still have faith in his abilities.
Were you one of the people that they entrapped?
im from menifee

London, KY

#26 Jul 9, 2009
Now this is what people will call hearsay and I can not prove it but I do know my ex mother in law and she wouldn't lie. She used to bar tend for some of Maddens parties, the shyt that went on at some of them is WILD LOL.
im from menifee

London, KY

#27 Jul 9, 2009
If I remember correctly she was paid by the hour for tending bar and she of course got tips.She made A lot of money in a short period of time. I wonder how many of those tips came from famous people and held the connotation that " I am paying you to keep your mouth shut and do not tell anyone what I am doing here." just a thought

“unapologetically liberal”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#28 Jul 10, 2009
anita 's bashes were orgies.......nuff said!

and no I wasn't entrapped but had friends who were.
Tired of BS

Loveland, OH

#29 Jul 10, 2009
I heard the Castle Pawn Shop was started by some of the same people from The Blue Grass Comspiracy.
Really

Louisville, KY

#30 Jul 10, 2009
Tired of BS wrote:
I heard the Castle Pawn Shop was started by some of the same people from The Blue Grass Comspiracy.
That is interesting! I've never heard that one. Hmmm. Wonder how much truth there is to that.
Small Town Girl

United States

#31 Jul 10, 2009
Tired of BS wrote:
I heard the Castle Pawn Shop was started by some of the same people from The Blue Grass Comspiracy.
Been a while since I read the book but wasn't there some small mention of the Castle Pawn Shop in the book? I am from a small town about 45 minutes from Lex and the book just fascinated me. Are many of the people in the book still around the Lexington area? Is there a relation between the Thornton's in the book and the Thornton's who own the gas/foodmart chain? I saw Anita downtown one day in a jag with the top down, two great danes in the back seat with diamond collars on...very bizarre. Being from "the sticks" I felt like I was seeing a celebrity. How do locals feel about her (just a regular person or what)? I probably sound like a dumb hick but it's so fascinating that this shit went down just two county's away from me.
im from menifee

Lexington, KY

#32 Jul 10, 2009
Dreas wrote:
anita 's bashes were orgies.......nuff said!
and no I wasn't entrapped but had friends who were.
Lmao Dreas that is just about the same thing I heard from her :))
im from menifee

Lexington, KY

#33 Jul 10, 2009
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
That is interesting! I've never heard that one. Hmmm. Wonder how much truth there is to that.
True to an extinct.James Purdy "Jimmy" Lambert
"Released from prison,he becomes a partner of Phillip Block in the Kentucky chain of Castle pawn and jewelry shops.Seemingly intent on a low profile,he largely disappears from the political and social pages of Lexington and other local newspapers.
In 1996, a published biography of Bill and Hilary Clinton, Partners in Power,reveals that Lambert had also been the conduit for some $300,000 in cash given to then -Governor John Y.Brown by Clinton and Brown intimate Dan Lasater, a fast food and bond brokerage millionaire suspected of ties to organized crime and who would later be convicted himself on drug charges." ( The Bluegrass Conspiracy,Sally Denton. p. 369 and 370, par.3)
http://books.google.com/books...

Go to this website and you can pretty much find out what you want because the chapters are there. I have not looked to see if the whole thing is but I am assuming it is.
im from menifee

Lexington, KY

#34 Jul 10, 2009
I found it by googling castle pawn shop bluegrass conspiracy
Snicker Girl

Louisville, KY

#35 Jul 10, 2009
Read it and loved it...what made it so very interesting is to know that its true and that it happened so close to home. My theory is that Drew Thorton was dead before he fell from the plane and that it wasn't flying solo that night. I have been wrong many times in my life but I firmly believe that due to the simple fact that he was an avid and expert parachuter and he would not make such a mistake when jumping from a plane.
im from menifee

Lexington, KY

#36 Jul 10, 2009
Snicker Girl wrote:
Read it and loved it...what made it so very interesting is to know that its true and that it happened so close to home. My theory is that Drew Thorton was dead before he fell from the plane and that it wasn't flying solo that night. I have been wrong many times in my life but I firmly believe that due to the simple fact that he was an avid and expert parachuter and he would not make such a mistake when jumping from a plane.
I totally agree. Lol you all will make me go get it and read it again :)) I would be AMAZED if Thorton lived.

“unapologetically liberal”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#37 Jul 11, 2009
Snicker Girl wrote:
Read it and loved it...what made it so very interesting is to know that its true and that it happened so close to home. My theory is that Drew Thorton was dead before he fell from the plane and that it wasn't flying solo that night. I have been wrong many times in my life but I firmly believe that due to the simple fact that he was an avid and expert parachuter and he would not make such a mistake when jumping from a plane.


not with that much dope strapped to him.......he should have known that he couldn't safely jump. Too bad so sad he was a dirty cop that thought he could do whatever he wanted as did the rest of the narcs in Lex at that time, John Bryant, Pete Push, Hal McKinney, etc......and Bill Canan. He was the biggest crook of them all. he'd go to UK parties undercover, sell you a joint and then bust you later......and after the police kicked him off the force he was a mercenary......rotten bastard!.......they were all crooked as hell and some retired with full pensions......
ohio cowgirl

AOL

#38 Jul 14, 2009
Dreas wrote:
<quoted text>
not with that much dope strapped to him.......he should have known that he couldn't safely jump. Too bad so sad he was a dirty cop that thought he could do whatever he wanted as did the rest of the narcs in Lex at that time, John Bryant, Pete Push, Hal McKinney, etc......and Bill Canan. He was the biggest crook of them all. he'd go to UK parties undercover, sell you a joint and then bust you later......and after the police kicked him off the force he was a mercenary......rotten bastard!.......they were all crooked as hell and some retired with full pensions......
Did you read the book, and how acurate was it as to what you know yourself???

“unapologetically liberal”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#39 Jul 14, 2009
ohio cowgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the book, and how acurate was it as to what you know yourself???
fairly accurate and pretty well researched.they failed to mention Jay Shildler and his Library Lounge days. That place was an opium den and disco hole!

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#40 Jul 14, 2009
Dreas, I worked with someone who knew Drew as a friend. He told me the man was loyal to friends and dangerous as hell to others.

“unapologetically liberal”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#41 Jul 14, 2009
off the trail wrote:
Dreas, I worked with someone who knew Drew as a friend. He told me the man was loyal to friends and dangerous as hell to others.
absolutely, he was a rogue cop

“I'm engaged!”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#42 Jul 14, 2009
very interesting

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
im so bored 3 min amanda 245
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 15 min Bigelow 160,753
Obamacare Is Here To Stay 27 min The Truth 6
They got it "Trump was Wiretapped" 49 min Filth N Fury 27
the big bang 50 min dad 1
This is why Trump got elected 55 min Filth N Fury 2
Pizza delivery tips 59 min Filth N Fury 13

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages