Where does it say in the BIBLE not to mix race?

Posted in the Lexington Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of318
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
show me proof

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

So many people have said to mix race is sin and state it's in the Bible. I have read the Bible many times and have failed to see anything pertaining to this. Could you share if you think this is true.
loser land

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Christian wrote:
The tower of babble. Look it up and u will see.
Cop out answer
James

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Christian wrote:
The tower of babble. Look it up and u will see.
Tower of babble? Ok, When I have read this it's my understanding they were trying to "climb" their way into Heaven without actually believing spiritually. So, when GOD seen this the tower was toppled and HE created chaos by the different languages......so one couldn't understand the other. No, it doesn't mention not to mix races.

Next?
Zombie

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Christian: Nonsense! Nowhere in the BABEL(babble is what you were doing) story is marriage or race even mentioned. But Paul in Act 17:26 says we are all of one blood. You better read with a more open heart. Don't try to impose your beliefs on God. Or use God as an excuse for your ignorance.
Not sure

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Here is a summary talking about the Tower of babble. I myself have not read it in the bible. I had never heard of it until I read this thread in here. I do believe in God. I do believe he created the world. I do believe that he created different races for a reason and he meant for us to not mix. I have nothing to back this up other than what I think. I come to this conclusion because, why would there be separate races in the first place? If it wasn't for inventions of transportation then we wouldn't have been able to have access to each other as easily as we do now. I don't know if God would consider it a sin though. I am still unsure as to whether it is truly right or wrong. I lean toward wrong more to be honest.

http://christianity.about.com/od/biblestorysu...
Zombie

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Not sure: OK, here goes again. Reread the story. He created choas among them as a punishment for pride. The story of BABEL(NOT BABBLE),is a warning against being prideful. It has nothing to do with race mixing. Do you have any siblings? Do your parents ever send you to different rooms when you were being bad? Same thing!
Also transportation did exist then. People walked! They rode on camels and elephants. Since the Babel story comes after the Noah story we can assume there were already boats.
Nowhere in the story is RACE mantioned at all. Language is a cultural component not racial.
trying to find her

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Not sure wrote:
Here is a summary talking about the Tower of babble. I myself have not read it in the bible. I had never heard of it until I read this thread in here. I do believe in God. I do believe he created the world. I do believe that he created different races for a reason and he meant for us to not mix. I have nothing to back this up other than what I think. I come to this conclusion because, why would there be separate races in the first place? If it wasn't for inventions of transportation then we wouldn't have been able to have access to each other as easily as we do now. I don't know if God would consider it a sin though. I am still unsure as to whether it is truly right or wrong. I lean toward wrong more to be honest.
http://christianity.about.com/od/biblestorysu...
Frankly, this is not an "opinion" topic. I asked for Biblical proof and that's all that matters. Everyone can and could put their 2 cents worth in on this topic.......but you see, the only person that matters is GOD and what HE says.

It makes no difference which way you "lean" or what you "think" I would like scripture proof that says this, if GOD doesn't have a problem with mixed races then the opinion of "flesh" humans has no effect on society in a whole.

The only thing in the Bible I have read that speaks of sex is HIS thoughts on homosexuality......that's a whole other topic and not appropriate for discussion here. Thanks.
loser land

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Not sure wrote:
why would there be separate races in the first place?
Because people have adapted to the regions/ climates they live in.
Zombie

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

trying to find her: I understand that you are asking for proof. The only proof I can offer is that it never mentions race or marriage. The passage has been interperated by many theologians though and you can easily research those.

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

The only caution "god" gave about marrying "outside" one's tribe, was during the 40 years of wandering. The priests constantly advised the Hebrews against going outside the Hebrew blood line. BUT it happened over and over, proving that even during a period of history when people "supposedly" witnessed physical manifestations of god's power they still lacked enough faith in this guilt trip to strictly abide by the priestly laws. "God's" objective here seemed to be cutting off of any outside religious practice. He wanted to be the "one" god, to quote the words exactly "above all others". Go figure people.

“Jody”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

I've read the King James version carefully three times, each time from a searching perspective to reseach different theories. I've read the books excluded from the original ones chosen to be in the bible. I've read translations by Sitkin of ancient scripts. I've read and read and read!! There are answers, but if you want to cling to your faith this forum is not a safe place for you.
Questions people always ask:
*Adam and Eve (some scripts say he created seven pairs, male and female, and called "their" name Adam.
*Cain's wife (the above, the daughters weren't mentioned in all scrolls, outside tribes roamed that claimed other gods)
*The Tower of Babel asked about (go read, note that "God" was in a conference situation, it was said during this gathering of "gods", "look, man is working together, together man can accomplish anything and become as gods, let "Us" go down and confuse their tongue" . This was done to stop man from becoming a cooperative brotherhood who could challenge the power that was god.
I could write a book, perhaps I will, but I can certainly answer your questions. If you truly seek an answer based on documented scrolls and not faith.

Since: May 09

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

In all likelihood, the whole "it's a nono to date someone not your race!!1one" thing may have had some actual function in era the bible was written (and edited by tired monks *ahem*) but doesn't have any particular function since.

I'm thoroughly convinced this and many other of the archaic, obsolete "rules" from the bible continue to only be stressed by those wishing to control others in some way, or those wishing to seek flaws in others. But, that's just my 2c.
im from menifee

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

If we really stop to think about it the whole Bible has been translated OVER AND OVER AND OVER, who knows how many things have been left out or added or just plain translated wrong? Since they never had copy machines back then I am sure a whole lot of the original meaning is missing or the original meaning is lost.

“Jody”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

im from menifee wrote:
If we really stop to think about it the whole Bible has been translated OVER AND OVER AND OVER, who knows how many things have been left out or added or just plain translated wrong? Since they never had copy machines back then I am sure a whole lot of the original meaning is missing or the original meaning is lost.
Plus the translations were slanted to support the power position of the churches at the time.
im from menifee

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

yep this is so true
Common Sense

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

The idea came from 1 Kings, Chapter 11, wherein Solomon the wise turned from God because he loved and married women from other countries who did not believe in God. God did not want his followers to marry outside of their faith (and this likely is why people included race and ethnicity because, for the most part, other races and ethnicities did not believe in God). The "strange women" (King James version)- foreign women in the New American Standard - worshipped other gods and might turn the believers away from God toward the "gods" of the foreigners. Thus, God instructed them not to intermingle with persons who worshipped other faiths. The concept arguably yet applies to a believer in God marrying those who don't worship the God of the Bible, but obviously would not apply if the person, regardless of race, believed in God. Here's the first several verses of 1 Kings Chapter 11, as it appears in the New American Standard version of the text:

1 Now King Solomon loved many foreign women along with the daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women,

2 from the nations concerning which the LORD had said to the sons of Israel, "You shall not associate with them, nor shall they associate with you, for they will surely turn your heart away after their gods." Solomon held fast to these in love.

3 He had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines, and his wives turned his heart away.

4 For when Solomon was old, his wives turned his heart away after other gods; and his heart was not wholly devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.

5 For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians and after Milcom the detestable idol of the Ammonites.

6 Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, and did not follow the LORD fully, as David his father had done.

7 Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the detestable idol of Moab, on the mountain which is east of Jerusalem, and for Molech the detestable idol of the sons of Ammon.

8 Thus also he did for all his foreign wives, who burned incense and sacrificed to their gods.

9 Now the LORD was angry with Solomon because his heart was turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice,

10 and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods; but he did not observe what the LORD had commanded.

11 So the LORD said to Solomon, "Because you have done this, and you have not kept My covenant and My statutes, which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you, and will give it to your servant.
Zombie

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2009

Judged:

"If we really stop to think about it the whole Bible has been translated OVER AND OVER AND OVER, who knows how many things have been left out or added or just plain translated wrong? Since they never had copy machines back then I am sure a whole lot of the original meaning is missing or the original meaning is lost."
Dang menifee, your on a roll lately! Agree!
happy customer sometimes

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2009

Judged:

Common Sense wrote:
The idea came from 1 Kings, Chapter 11, wherein Solomon the wise turned from God because he loved and married women from other countries who did not believe in God. God did not want his followers to marry outside of their faith (and this likely is why people included race and ethnicity because, for the most part, other races and ethnicities did not believe in God). The "strange women" (King James version)- foreign women in the New American Standard - worshipped other gods and might turn the believers away from God toward the "gods" of the foreigners. Thus, God instructed them not to intermingle with persons who worshipped other faiths. The concept arguably yet applies to a believer in God marrying those who don't worship the God of the Bible, but obviously would not apply if the person, regardless of race, believed in God. Here's the first several verses of 1 Kings Chapter 11, as it appears in the New American Standard version of the text:
1 Now King Solomon loved many foreign women along with the daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women,
2 from the nations concerning which the LORD had said to the sons of Israel, "You shall not associate with them, nor shall they associate with you, for they will surely turn your heart away after their gods." Solomon held fast to these in love.
3 He had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines, and his wives turned his heart away.
4 For when Solomon was old, his wives turned his heart away after other gods; and his heart was not wholly devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.
5 For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians and after Milcom the detestable idol of the Ammonites.
6 Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, and did not follow the LORD fully, as David his father had done.
7 Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the detestable idol of Moab, on the mountain which is east of Jerusalem, and for Molech the detestable idol of the sons of Ammon.
8 Thus also he did for all his foreign wives, who burned incense and sacrificed to their gods.
9 Now the LORD was angry with Solomon because his heart was turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice,
10 and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods; but he did not observe what the LORD had commanded.
11 So the LORD said to Solomon, "Because you have done this, and you have not kept My covenant and My statutes, which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you, and will give it to your servant.
Basically I want to say "thank you". This is the answer I was looking for, someone who actually reads and UNDERSTANDS the word of GOD like myself to realize GOD was speaking of not marrying out of your faith and beliefs.....NOT RACE.

GOD created male and female and HE wants us to love and respect the other person as husband/wife, regardless of skin. You see GOD is not a respector of persons........if HE thought interracial marriage was a sin......HE would have said "well now I only like Jewish people so you stay within your race and everyone else, sorry but I don't love you." Yeah right, GOD loves and cares for all..........HE don't even look at skin color.

Praise my GOD....My LORD and Savior.
Robot

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2009

Judged:

Tower of Babble??? You Moron, Thats not what that means...
Common Sense

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2009

happy customer - you're welcome. Now, menifee and Zombie - as far as reliable scholars have been able to discern, there have been no notable deviations in the Bible from the earliest manuscripts to now. Only the manner of presentment (writing styles) have changed on all widely accepted versions (not including the crackpot slang versions, etc.) Thus far, Matthew's words have been true, wherein he says in Matthew 5:18 (New American Standard Bible)

"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of318
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

117 Users are viewing the Lexington Forum right now

Search the Lexington Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min DemocRATS 146,026
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 23 min ;)) 81,559
Jon Stewart needs a wake up call 43 min Welcome party 10
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 47 min curious 128,516
Suttons (Apr '11) 1 hr Curious 20
Courtsey on wheels crappy sales people (Oct '08) 1 hr Going to Courtesy 81
Dont pass the freakin cops!! 1 hr not so smart 14
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lexington Jobs

•••