caverns/mass graves under lexington???
Joe Eli

United States

#21 May 21, 2012
To curious, thank you so much for posting those 2 links. My grandmothet was a Headley.
Wake up

Lexington, KY

#22 May 21, 2012
Joe Eli wrote:
I have a friend you lives by southland, the railroad is across from his house. He has seen trains coming in carring military vehicles. I have seen vehicles designed especially to detect NBC hazards. I'm retired military and I've seen other specialized vehicles that I have no idea what their use is.
Big deal. How do you think the military moves equipment from point A to point B? Units move to new bases, equipment has to go to ports to go overseas, stuff has to go to rebuild facilities and from the factory.

The Norfolk Southern rail line that goes through Southland is a major artery for that railroad. There is no military equipment being offloaded here from those trains.

For someone who is retired military, you should know this.
I know a little

Ft Mitchell, KY

#23 May 21, 2012
Inhis 1806 book, Travels in America, Thomas Ashe writes of his experiences with an enormous underground chamber originally discovered in 1783 beneath Lexington. He describes it as 300 ft long, 100 ft wide, and 19 ft tall, containing exotic atrifacts, a stone altar for for sacrifices, human skulls and bones piled high, and mummified remains. The mummies were very strange looking and, like the Mammoth Cave specimens, had red hair. The local Native Americans claimed that these were not their people, but rather the remnants of an ancient civilization that died out long ago.
In 1872, respected historian George W. Ranck also discussed this 'lost city' buried beneath Lexington. Again it is reported that local Native Americans identified the bodies as being from an ancient race that inhabited the area long before them. So strong was the evidence of giant caverns and the remains of ancient civilizations beneath Lexington that Herald-Leader columnist Don Edwards wrote that when one of the large hotels began construction downtown, they did far more drillings than necessary, just to make absolutely certain they weren't building atop these caves.
-taken from "Weird Kentucky" by Jeffrey Scott Holland
William 'King" Solomon was a the town vagrant drunk in the early 1800's. When the cholera outbreak swept through Lexington, more than half the city evacuated, including law officials, leaving over 500 bloated diseased bodies in the streets. King Solomon, being penniless and basically homeless, voluteered to clean the streets and without any help from anyone, he manged to transport the bodies to the cemetary and gave each corpse a proper burial- completely by himself. It took over two months of around the clock work. He paused only to sleep- sleeping on the ground of the cemetary. This act gave him his freedom back as well as deserved respect among the people who were able to return home. It is said that King Solomon never contracted cholera because he never drank the water- he only drank his liquor
Joe Eli

Brooklyn, NY

#24 May 21, 2012
which cemetary
well

Ft Mitchell, KY

#25 May 21, 2012
lol- not sure- but it had to be within walking distance . Probably the Lexington Cemetary
Joe Eli

Brooklyn, NY

#26 May 21, 2012
Thanks, I know when they tore down the block to build center point there were 3 levels deep of basements. How much is Lexington built up? How far down under vine street is the town branch?
I know a little

Ft Mitchell, KY

#27 May 21, 2012
Well, it's a huge known fact that there are several tunnels under all of Lexington- most do connect, but for the most part they are not able to be explored. I have seen several entrances to these tunnels myself- those were thought to lead to the old courthouse were the slaves were sold. I do know that when the old Phoenix Hotel was torn down on the corner of Main and Limestone, they didn't even bother to clean out the basement and sub-basement levels. They only just covered these levels with a concrete layer and left all of the rooms intact, still with furniture in them. Now it's the park in front of the downtown library branch. Not sure why they just leave the basement levels when they tear a building down. The way it seems- looks like there is a shitload of history just right under our feet
Joe Eli

Brooklyn, NY

#28 May 21, 2012
There's so much history here, I'm definately going to be more pro-active in researching about my home. Thank you for all the info.
I know a little

Ft Mitchell, KY

#29 May 21, 2012
Yeah it's really neat when you start hearing the stories. I love looking at the old pictures of Lexington and imagining how things were back in the day around here. Please post if you find out anything cool?
Joe Eli

Brooklyn, NY

#30 May 21, 2012
Will do
LaLa

Lexington, KY

#31 May 22, 2012
Google "The History of Lexington" by George Ranck- you can find the book in pdf form online.
Joe Eli

United States

#32 May 25, 2012
Anybody know what kind of boat that is that hit eggner's ferry brudge? It doesn't look like a barge
privates eye

Lexington, KY

#33 Feb 2, 2013
Interesting thread. Thought I'd bump it to the top.

As far as town branch goes.....could you just kayak the stream all the way underground, under the city and access the caverns from there? Has anybody tried following it under ground??
love lex hx

Nicholasville, KY

#34 Feb 2, 2013
DJanonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry I was wrong about the plague, you are correct, it WAS cholera, I had my diseases confused, it has been a very long time since I worked at the cemetery, however if you ever get a chance to visit Lexington cemetery, right as you come in there's a huge concrete slab that tells all about "King Solomon" I believe his first name was William, he volunteered his service to bury the victims of the epidemic. It's very interesting. Also if you've never been to the cemetery, try your best to check it out in the spring when all of the trees and flowers are beginning to bloom it's absolutely breathtaking. As far as corpses still being intact for such long periods of time after burial, it's true. Several different factors can affect the speed of deterioration of a dead body. The type of container they're in, the diet of the person during their life, whether they were buried in cold or hot weather when parasites and various bacteria are present or not. New studies have shown that in modern day burials the bodies are decaying even slower due to the amount of preservatives we eat. It's a very interesting subject if a person is interested in that type of thing. Personally I looked into going to school for mortuary science when I was much younger, but decided not to for personal reasons. I would find it very hard to live with all the grief that surrounds that vocation, and having buried several babies I just wouldn't be able to deal with it on a daily basis. But anyway...just sayin'
Very interesting history. If you know more please share
love lex hx

Nicholasville, KY

#35 Feb 2, 2013
Joe Eli wrote:
I believe there are large caverns around the quarry on Forbes rd. I have seen alot of specialized military equipment coming into town. We don't live that far from the airport and we here really large cargo planes coming and going early in the morning. Lex Tran buses have an advertisement on them ( be alert be prepared). It covers all kinds of natural and man made disasters.. We believe our government is building or storing things here underground.
Ironically I saw several helicopters flying low around the Palomar area about a week ago
love lex hx

Nicholasville, KY

#36 Feb 2, 2013
Wake up wrote:
<quoted text>
Horseshit.
I've lived here 35 years and have yet to see any of this "specialized military equipment coming in" or these "large cargo planes" you speak of. Loosen your tinfoil.
Besides if they needed a good place to store stuff underground caves would be ideal. No conspiracy there.
DUGH....you must not be familiar with Highbridge area, there are caves and they store medical records and lots of records in the caves.
There are caves all over and believed that areas like Mercer county to Harrodsburg road into Lexington which covers the Palisades sit over a large lake underground

Since: Feb 13

Lexington, KY

#37 Feb 16, 2013
Most of you have good intentions so ill leave the military equipment business alone. We are a major rail hub and KY is home to a large military presence: it shouldn't suprise anyone that the military is in KY..silly. As for te town branch, they are planning to resurface it so it can be enjoyed by our community rather than coviering it up with more vacant skyscrapers. The Phoenix Park is also scheduled to be remade so maybe they can check out the "basement" then, would be interesting. There is most defiantly caverns throughout Lex, go to the MI King Library at UK if you want to see maps of the caverns as they have some which are very old. I would love to see if there was access to the caverns for exploration, also have thought about where the artifacts that were extracted are now located, as they were originally donated to the smithsonian. A very interesting topic and one I love to talk about! By the way, the cholera cementery I believe is the old episcopal burial ground on 3rd st. It has many 1822 cholera graves in it.
Doug Messer

Ashland, KY

#38 Apr 22, 2014
It is written in a book by Thomas Ashe around the 1770s that he found ancient MASS grave of human bones around a giant alter under what is now Lexington Ky. Also found were around 200 mummies appeared to be like Egyptians,, but were 12-15 feet tall and had red hair. This description also parallels the findings from ancient Burial Mounds that hold giants and they too were red headed and around 10-15 feet tall.9405
ashton

Lexington, KY

#39 Dec 1, 2014
curious wrote:
I found this in a book and decided to research it some... this is the basic info from what i know...
Lexington, Kentucky, there was a report by G. W. Ranck in the 1872 History of Lexington describing a gallery of tunnels somewhere beneath this city. The report detailed how, in 1776, hunters from the frontier town of Booneborough found rocks of “peculiar workmanship,” behind which was found a tunnel. The small opening inclined sharply into the rock and enlarged to a grand gallery about four feet wide and seven feet high. After a few hundred feet the gallery led to an even larger chamber that was 18 feet high, 100 feet wide and 300 feet in length. Inside of this chamber were found an altar, idols, and about 2,000 human mummies....
If u know anything or have any thoughts about this... i wanna hear them..
The cave that is described is not hard to find as a 15 year old boy i found one like this. It is just off red mile road next to parking lot in a group of trees.
just sayin

Lexington, KY

#40 Dec 5, 2014
I know there are very large caves under the louisville zoo. I've been in them. They rent space for the city to store there salt for the winter. All kinds of things are stored down there. It is massive. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the govt I'd using them as well for storage. Very interesting. I'd love to see for myself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UK Basketball Experts 7 min Just so you know 44
fire bill mack!!! (Jan '15) 16 min dummy 49
coupon savings!! 32 min Did u remember cr... 3
Hillary staged to steal election thru super del... 42 min The Truth 1
Scat play (Apr '14) 50 min Jarry 57
Tired 51 min Respect the cage ... 6
Secret confessions. What have you done? 56 min Respect the cage ... 66
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages